• Published 19th Sep 2016
  • 3,130 Views, 43 Comments

Rara's Reality - Gear Works



Rara decides to reboot her career with a rising singer from Earth. But in order to do so, they have to be a couple. Looks like someone forgot to read the fine print on the contract.

  • ...
5
 43
 3,130

I Got A Fever...

It’s been two weeks since Rick and Rara have been living together, and while they have gotten used to living together, it has had its ups and downs. For Rick, it was having to live without meat based foods, and he wasn’t a fan of hay. But he was lucky to have peanut butter sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. As for Rara, it was trying to understand the human world’s tech, like Rick’s laptop. She wasn’t used to working with the music program that Rick had install, or more of the programs like iTunes and such.

But for some reason, it has helped them open up to each other. They already had five songs made, but still had a long way to go. And both of them were coming up to roadblocks on creating more music. Finding the inspiration to write was hard, and that bothered Rara… a lot.

“No, no, NO!” Rara was scratching out some lyrics that didn’t connect and just crunch it up into a paper ball and threw it in the trash bucket. “Why can I not think what I want to write?”

Rick was working on possible music to add to their completed fifth song, but kept getting distracted by Rara’s problems. “Rara, we’re about halfway with a new album. I’m sure you can find inspiration somewhere.”

“I’ve tried, but I’m running out of ideas. It’s… it’s stressing me out.”

Rick decided to close his laptop. “That’s it. We’re taking a break from this.” He got up and got out his GameCube unit with the portable screen and a couple of controllers from a box that he used to keep his gaming stuff in. He plugged it in and placed the unit on a table in front of the couch. He patted on the couch and said, “Get over here.”

Rara just gave her a serious look. “Really? Do we even have time for that?”

“There comes a time when you need to relax and enjoy life at its fullest. And this is one way of doing so.”

Rara just sighed, got up, and went on over to where he wanted her to be on the couch. Rick went back to the box and grabbed one of the games for the unit.

“We’re going to play some Mario Kart?”

“Mario Kart?” Rara replied, looking confused.

“Yea. Been one of the popular multi-player racing games back in my world.” Rick placed the game disc into the unit and booted it up, then grabbed the controllers and sat down next to Rara. He handed one of the controllers to Rara.

“I don’t even know how to play something like this,” she replied.

“Here, I’ll show you.”

Rick instructed Rara to sit on his lap. Once she did so, he rapped his arms around her and held the controller with her while looking over her shoulder. Rara started to blush with how he was holding her.

“OK. The A button is the gas, and the B button is the brakes. Joystick lets you turn, and the L and R buttons let you drift turn. X and Y buttons are for the held items, and the Z button allows you to switch your driver and partner. Got it?”

Rara still felt confused. “I think so?”

“Don’t worry. We’ll use a simple test track until you get the hang of it.”

Rick started to show Rara how to play the game, explaining how some of the items work and how to control the kart. After a few runs, Rara got off his lap and sat next to him, exchanging controllers so that he was player one.

“So, you going to go easy on me, right?” Rara asked.

“On the first few races.”

So Rick and Rara spent their time playing the game. They didn’t know it, but they were on it for a couple of hours, which felt like time flew right by them. It was then that Rick tossed his controller on the table.

“I can’t believe it. That’s the 12th time you beat me.”

“I thought you were still going easy on me,” Rara replied.

“Only the first four races. Then I started to get serious when we went through those tracks again.”

“And I still won on those tracks and the next four on the next level, which I though was more challenging.”

“And then we went with the harder levels, and you still beat me. You even blasted me with a couple of blue shells that time.”

Rara stared to stare at Rick and said, “Maybe I was lucky.”

Rick stared back at her. “Maybe you were just a natural in this.”

Both of them were staring at each other before they both started to smile and let out a laugh. After all that happened, Rara started to lay back and lean on Rick’s shoulder.

She let out a sigh and said, “Maybe you were right. I needed a break from what I was doing. Think we can do this again another day, maybe with another game you have?”

“If that’s the case, then we might try out either F-Zero or Super Smash Bros. Maybe one of the Mario Party games I have. I did bring several games with me.”

“Really. Is that all you like to do?”

Rick let out a sigh and said, “Only because my chances on getting my music career off the ground failed. I just stick to my regular job and spent my nights and weekends trying to relax. I didn’t have anyone to hang out with long term, and everyone I knew at my old job had families to take care of.”

“Is that why you have a hard time out there? You know, trying to fit in. Maybe finding a girlfriend to spend your nights and weekends with instead of being alone?”

“Been the story of my life,” Rick replied.

Silence filled the room. Rara was still leaning on Rick’s shoulder and started to rub her other hand on his arm. He caught on and started to look at her, which she soon noticed when she glanced at him. As they both stared at each other, Rick started to close the distance between each other. She closed her eyes as his lips were close to hers.

But that silence was disturbed by a knock at the door.

“Rick. Rara. You both there?”

Both of them knew who was at the door. Rara opened her eyes and let out a sigh. “Damn it, Prance. You sure know went to ruin the moment,” she thought. She yelled, “Coming,” and got up off the couch and went to the door.

When she opened the door, she was met by Prance and another stallion. He had yellow fur and blue greased up hair, and was wearing a white button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, a cream vest, and white pants.

“Well this is a surprise,” Rara said. “I thought you were with another artist on tour.”

“Just finished up a few days ago,” the yellow stallion replied. “Just catching up with Prance and heard about you as well.”

“Well come on in.” And they came in, Rara turned and said, “Rick, this was my lyricist and one of the dancers I worked with, Disco Fever.”

Rick got up off the couch and approach Disco. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Same here,” Disco replied as they shook hands. “Been hearing that you’ve been working with Coloratura with her career.”

“You could say that,” Rick replied.

Disco looked around the room and saw the pieces of crumpled paper around the trash bucket. He walked over there and picked up one of the balls of paper and straighten it out. He looked it over and said, “Looks like you’re having problems with new music?”

“We’re already half way through one possible album, but… well you can see the reason why,” Rara replied.

“Care if I take a crack at it?” Disco asked.

Rick and Rara replied, “Be our guest.”

Disco Fever took some of the papers and looked them over. While he was doing this, Rara decided to explain Rick what he was doing.

“What he’s doing is looking over what I wrote and get an idea of what song I’m trying to sing. Then he tries to help fill the gaps that I need to make the song work. He can also fine tune how the song sounds to make it better. It’s like he has the rhythm and beat going through his head. He’s help me improve some of the songs that I performed in the past, but Svengallop never gives him any credit.”

“Like that guy even cares. No doubt he didn’t want to complain or he would lose his job in the process,” Rick said.

“I just told him to just go along, and just let it all play out,” Prance said. “We all knew that bad karma would strike him when he least expect it.”

Disco finished what he was doing and handed a sheet of paper to Rara. “What do you think?”

Rick, Rara, and Prance looked it over before they gave their answer.

“I think this will work. Thanks,” Rara replied.

“Well, I’ll have a better idea when I hear some music to go with it. But we don’t have to go through that right now,” Disco explained.

“Well, I’m still working on the music on the last one,” Rick said as he pointed to his laptop.

Disco looked at it and said, “So this is one of those advance human machines that I’ve been hearing about. But it can’t beat the machines that we have at the studio.”

“If it’s like the stuff that was around in my world decades ago, then I’m sure it will work,” Rick said. “I’m just working on the template for now. Be better once we have a band.”

“So I heard,” Disco replied as he took a seat next to the table. The others decided to do the same.

“I’ve been telling him about what’s been going on and getting updates on the rest of the crew,” Prance explained.

“Then you know some of the changes that we’re making with our usual music that I used to perform,” Rara explained. “Think you can help us out?”

“Well, if you don’t mind having another lead guitar in the group.” Disco looked a Rick’s acoustic guitar. “Been itching to play it again. May I?” Disco asked Rick.

“By all means.”

Disco got up and went over to the guitar. He grabbed it and checked to how Rick had it tuned. Then he started to play a song. It sounded like a Mexican dance song that he was playing.

“Now that’s a bit new from you,” Rara said.

“Something I heard when I was at Appleloosa with the group. It sounded kinda catchy,” Disco said.

“Sounds like you’ve been doing fine with the artist that they assigned you to,” Rara said.

“Well, I have been trying to… stay alive,” Disco said, which Rick tried to contain his laughter. “Figure someone would get the reference.”

Rara and Prance looked to Rick for an explanation.

“It’s a movie called Saturday Night Fever. Came out before my time. One of the songs that played in the move was Stayin’ Alive by the Bee Gees. And Disco Fever almost looks like the main character in that movie. The song is still popular in my world to this day.”

“I know,” Disco said. “Met one of the humans that was visiting our world, and he brought up the reference. Even had that song on a small device that he was carrying.”

“Could have been an iPod, or something close to it,” Rick said. “It’s like my machine, but smaller and only has music on it.”

“Well, your world has some interesting stuff that we have yet to achieve. Yet, we have magic that you don’t have,” Disco said.

“Which is why my friend, Applejack, and her friends are working on bringing both worlds together,” Rara explained. “But we’re getting off topic. You think you can help out?”

“Well, I was able to reach out to the others, and they are willing to help you two out. Night Shades already returned a week ago and is trying to get some rest from all the traveling. Or should I say flirting.” Disco let out a small chuckle. “But he can help out on keyboards. Rock Blast and Beat Box should be back from their tours next week, so that should cover Bass and Drums. Might be a couple of weeks before Star Dancer and Style Light return, but they are willing to lend their support. Star Dancer can back up one of us if needed, since he works on the stage while the team is setting up. And I’m sure Style Light can help Prance out at the studio and maybe on tour if that was to happen.”

“Sounds like all of us are getting back together, minus Svengallop,” Rara said.

“Well, I figure that we fill you in on all that,” Prance said as he got up. “Just let me know if you need to studio to work in, and I’ll see if I can free it up.”

“And you know where I live at if you two need my help,” Disco said, getting up and putting the guitar back to where it was located. “I would like to learn more about that machine of yours, Rick, and how you can make music from it.”

“Sure thing,” Rick replied.

“Just make sure you tell Night Shades to lay off the flirting. I hate to see him get slapped in the face… or worse,” Rara said.

“Too late for the worse part,” Disco said. “But I doubt he’ll learn from that.”

Both Disco and Prance left the room as Rara closed the door.

“Cool guy. He might just be able to help us out,” Rick said.

“If you like him, you’ll like the others when you meet them. Especially Beat Box. I think the two of you might have something in common,” Rara explained.

“I guess it involves drums,” Rick said, which Rara nodded. “Well, I was in percussion back in high school, so that might sound interesting.”

“Good,” Rara replied. “You know what? I feel a lot better after all that just happened. Playing that game was one thing. But seeing some old faces that are willing to help made it much better.”

“Well, I might as well get back to creating the music from the song that I was working on. Going to start another song?” Rick asked Rara.

“Not today. Might be best to make sure what we have is ready so that Disco and Prance can look it over before looking into our next song. Besides, it looks like Celestia is starting to set the sun, so I might as well start fixing dinner for us.”

“Really?”

“Well, I do own my husband a treat after what you did for me earlier. I’m sure a grilled cheese sandwich will do for tonight.”

Rara started to walk to the kitchen to fix dinner, while Rick went back to his laptop and work on some music. Rara took a moment to look at Rick and almost remembered that one moment between the two.

“Maybe one day, I can do something special for you, after all you have done for me.”

Author's Note:

Could Rara be warming up to Rick? Who knows.