• Published 19th Sep 2016
  • 3,131 Views, 43 Comments

Rara's Reality - Gear Works



Rara decides to reboot her career with a rising singer from Earth. But in order to do so, they have to be a couple. Looks like someone forgot to read the fine print on the contract.

  • ...
5
 43
 3,131

The Artist Known As...

Celestia’s sun was shining through the window and onto Rick’s face. This woke Rick up from the bed. As he got up, he noticed that the other side of the bed was empty. Looking around, he couldn’t find Rara anywhere.

“I wonder if she already left?” Rick thought.

He got up and stretch his arms and rubbed the sleepiness from his eyes. He started to make his way to the bathroom, which the door was closed. When he open the door, he was in for a surprise. In the bathroom was Rara, still drying herself from the shower she took. Rara only had her towel covering the front of her body when she noticed Rick. Both of them just stared at each other form a moment, looking stunned.

That moment was shattered when Rara screamed and threw her right fist at Rick’s face, knocking him unconscious.

Rick started to hear a voice as he was coming to. “Rick. Rick. Can you hear me? Rick!” As he opened his eyes, his vision was a bit blurred, but was soon in focus. He could see the mare talking to him was none other than Coco herself.

He started to sit up, shaking his head. “Damn. What just happened?”

“You got knocked out after seeing Rara naked,” replied Coco.

“Naked?”

“Well, almost,” Coco corrected herself. “Earth ponies can be somewhat stronger than humans.”

“Thanks for the late update,” Rick said. “What are you doing here anyway?”

“I heard Rara scream and ran all the way up here to see if you two were alright,” Coco explained. “She’s a bit shaken up after she punched you in the face. At least you don’t have a broken nose.”

“I thought she already left to see Sapphire Shores,” Rick said. “Didn’t realized that she was in the bathroom.”

“Maybe it’s best to knock before entering next time. I’m sure she’s still getting used to being married to you.” Coco pulled Rick up and on his feet. “Well, I’m heading back to my room to finish up. You might as well talk to her and let her know you’re OK.”

Rick nodded and escorted Coco out of the room, closing the door. Rick made his way to the bathroom to see Rara sitting next to the tub with only her towel wrapped around her. She was stilled shaken from what just happened earlier.

“Everything OK,” Rick said, causing Rara to look at him.

“Yea. I’m just…a bit shaken up. You surprised me when you walked in.”

“Sorry. I guess I’m still getting used to us being together,” Rick replied, scratching the back of his head.

“Same here,” replied Rara. She got up and rushed to Rick, embracing him in a hug. “At least you’re OK.”

Rick responded by hugging her back, and rubbing her backside in a clam manner. This caused Rara to respond.

“Rick?”

“Yes.”

“Your rubbing my back.”

“You mean…”

Both of them realized that Rara’s towel fell to the floor when she went to hug him.

Rick started to look up and released Rara from their hug. “I’m going to see myself out.” As he was still looking up, he made his way to the door and was trying to grab the knob of the door.

“I’ll get the door.” Rara pushed Rick forward and closed the door herself. She leaned herself on the door trying to catch her breath from what just happen.

“Has anyone ever tell you that you’re soft and fuzzy,” Rick yelled from the other side of the door.

This caused Rara to blush a deep red in her cheeks.


Rick was by himself in the room talking to Applejack through his crystal communicator, explaining to her what just happened. Somehow, Applejack didn’t even care.

“So how much of her did you see,” asked Applejack.

“APPLEJACK!!!”

“I’m joking,” replied Applejack. “I would have expected sparks to fly between the two of you, but not this soon.”

“You’re not helping here,” said Rick.

“Come on. So you made one mistake early on. Big deal. You’re a married couple, remember. Just give her time to warm up to you. Then I’m sure you’ll see who she really is.”

“I hope so,” replied Rick.

“So where did she go off to?” asked Applejack.

“Off to see Sapphire Shores. We got a couple of songs ready and she wants to run them by with her.”

“Well, somehow she’s going to get a big surprise when she sees an old friend working over there.”

“Who?” Rick asked Applejack.

“Oh some fancy unicorn who toured with her. Said that he wanted to work with music, but the manager wouldn’t allow him to do so. Sapphire Shores introduced him to me and the girls a couple of days ago.”


Rara was in Sapphire Shores’ office, sitting across her desk. Sapphire was looking over the songs that Rara and Rick wrote.

“I’m impressed,” Sapphire said. “The two of you did this in one day?”

“Just about,” replied Rara. “Rick was able to help me adjust some of the work that I had, and we got those two ready to go.”

“Great. I knew you two would make a great pair,” Sapphire said with a smile.

Rara just glared at Sapphire. “You sure you didn’t set this up in the first place?”

“Nonsense, Coloratura. Now, I know we need more to do, and I have someone who can help the two of you out.” Sapphire pushed the button on her intercom that was on her desk. “Send him in.”

A unicorn walked into the room. He had violet fur and dark purple curly mane and tail, and he was wearing a purple leather jacket and leather pants.

“PRANCE!!!”

Rara jumped up and went to him, giving him a hug. She released him from her hug, saying, “It’s good to see you again.”

“And it’s nice to see you as well, Coloratura,” replied Prance.

“I figure you would be out of a job after what Svengallop did,” said Rara.

“Maybe so, but Sapphire was able to hire me and your backup dancers to help out,” Prance explained. “Those guys are busy helping with some of the other clients at this time.”

“That’s great,” replied Rara.

“Well, now that you two have reunited, I need to get some business done.” Sapphire handed the songs back to Rara. “Good luck to both of you.”


Rara and Prance were walking back to her place to introduce him to Rick. While they were walking, they took the time to catch up.

“It’s nice to have a familiar face to be working with,” said Rara. “After what Svengallop did during my career, I’m having to start over again.”

“Hey, Svengallop got what was coming to him. Just working on getting the sound configured for you was hard enough. Now I can work on creating music for other artists,” explained Prance.

“I would figure you try your luck in your own music career.”

“Maybe, but now’s not the time,” replied Prance. “I need my own band to do so, and that’s something I don’t have at the moment. Besides, I’m hearing that you have a human helping you out?”

Rara let out a fake laugh while scratching the back of her head. “Yea. It’s kind of a long story.”

“You don’t have to explain. Sapphire already told me the details,” said Prance.

“Even the fact that I’m married to him?”

“That too,” replied Prance. “But think about it as a good thing. Having someone in your life is worth cherishing. Remember that.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

They finally arrived at Rara’s apartment, and she noticed the window to her room was open.

Rara yelled, “HEY RICK!”

Rick stick out his head to see Rara with another pony.

Rara yelled to Rick, “You want to join us for lunch?”

“Sure,” replied Rick.

Rick closed the window, grabbed the room key, and made his way out to join Rara, making sure he locked the door on his way out. When he came outside, Rara introduce him to Prance and explained his role in Svengallop’s group. They walked to a simple sandwich shop that Rick can order something that he like from his world. All three of them had lunched and exchanged stories with each other.

“So I finished up with my sound check, and Svengallop comes back all red. Turns out that the hot tub was too hot for him, and he fell asleep in the process. I kept my composure and tell him that everything’s ready for the show. He just walked off, and I’m just laughing my rear off inside my head.”

“Sounds like he got was he deserved,” said Rick.

“Well, karma can be a bitch at times,” said Prance. “At least he finally got what he really deserved for all he’s done to us.”

“What happened to the dancers that were with us back then,” Rara asked Prance.

“Well, Disco Fever, is singing backup for one artist. Rock Blast is playing with another artist on bass guitar. Star Dancer and Style Light have been helping out with a mare group. Beat Box is with a dance group that Sapphire Shores knows. And Night Shades has been promoting various artists wherever he’s needed. All in all, everyone’s been doing fine.”

“It’s good to hear that everyone didn’t suffer from what Svengallop did to the group,” said Rick.

“Yea. I’m just glad that everyone is doing fine,” added Rara.

“So what’s your story, Prance. How did you get into all of this?” asked Rick.

“Started when I was younger. I was working as a sound technician at a local venue in Las Pegasus, The Shooting Star. It was a place where artists play to look for their big break. During that time, I was able to write songs that came in my head. I was hoping that I could perform once on the stage, but my father thought it was a waste of time, saying that stars rise and fall so fast. Mother wasn’t doing much to support any of us.

“One day, Svengallop showed up looking for an expert sound technician for his newest artist, Coloratura. At that time, I was the one with the most experience in the city because I’ve worked there the longest. Said that I would get more bits than where I was working at. I took the offer and started working with him. My job was to check the sound on stage and work on adding some flare to her voice. Over the time, I wanted to try out some songs that I wrote, but he said that I should just focus on my job. So I just did what he wanted done.”

“Why not quit and pursue your own career?” asked Rick.

“I needed the bits,” Prance replied. “Plus, I no longer had a place to stay. Mother started doing drugs, which killed her. Father got drunk and committed suicide. Had to sell the house to pay for their funerals.”

“Sorry to hear that. I guess Las Pegasus has its own dark side, doesn’t it,” said Rick.

“It does. But now I work for Sapphire Shores. Most of my songs that I wrote were used by other artists to get them back on their feet after what Svengallop did to them. Now I get to help you two out.”

“Well, we’ll have to introduce you to Coco Pommel soon,” said Rara.

“I believe I’ve met her before,” Prance replied. “She’s the cream mare that works at Rarity For You, right?”

“I believe so,” Rara replied. “She plans to join us when we start going on tour.”

“But first, we need to get an album going first,” explained Rick.

‘Then you might need some band members to help out,” explained Prance. “Let me see if we can get the gang back together. Most of them do play instruments, so we should be able to fill that void.”

“You do that, and we might be able to get Rara’s career on track once again,” said Rick.

“Rick, this isn’t my career we’re talking about,” Rara said and she reached out the grab Rick’s hand. “This is our career. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Author's Note:

You might know that Coloratura had six dancers, so I had to come up with names for them, since they didn't make any names in the mobile game.

Disco Fever - Lyricist
Beat Box - Breakdancer
Star Dancer - Choreographer
Night Shades - Hype Pony
Rock Blast - Rocker
Style Light - Stylist

And someone has named the other pony as Prance (unofficial) because the designer wanted to draw him after Prince. So I'm going with that.