• Published 18th Sep 2016
  • 3,033 Views, 50 Comments

The Wrong Side of History - Orbiting Kettle



Celestia made many enemies through her long reign, and some are still waging war on her. It is time for Twilight to become involved in something far older and more complex than she thought. And with far more whipped cream too.

  • ...
3
 50
 3,033

Tempêtes Patissières

"Why haven't I been attacked yet? I deserve it too!"

Twilight suppressed a pout and tried to stand straight and tall. Around her Royal Guards were securing entrances to the ballroom, searching for more attackers, comforting the traumatized, scraping pies from the wall and generally running around in mild panic.

Celestia stepped to her side and put a wing on her back. "Why would you want to be involved? This is no laughing matter."

"Indeed it is not. It is an insult, that is what it is." Luna raised one of the pies the perpetrator hadn't had time to use and examined it closely. "I remember quite well in the old times. Assassins had manners and good taste back then and used daggers. That was proper fun, not"—she catapulted the pie at the wall, scattering screaming guards—"this."

Celestia’s said with a thin smile, “Luna, we talked about the meaning of the word fun. You are misusing it again."

"I am certainly not." With one foreleg Luna grabbed a passing guard; with the other she made a grand, sweeping gesture. "I would walk through the palace, an assassin would jump out of the shadows and stab me, the blade would break, I would laugh, he would laugh, I would throw him through the nearest window." She sighed and smiled. The guard squeaked. "They knew how to do those things properly. It was fun."

Twilight stared at Luna, then looked up to Celestia who shook her head mouthing Don't encourage her. She looked at the panicking guard in the iron grip of the night Princess and decided that it would be another entry for her already overflowing mental Don't Ask folder.

Celestia said, "Misguided ideas of my dear sister aside, as I was saying, this is nothing fun or desirable. I can't see why you want to be involved in this whole situation." She stepped over to one of the sobbing guards hit by a stray shot of whipping cream and cleaned his muzzle with a napkin.

"It's…” Twilight gesticulated wildly. “You have been attacked five times this year alone, Cadance dodged two pies last month and Shining Armor fought them at his birthday. Even Flurry Heart got a cupcake, and she can't really do much more than drool and destroy ancient artifacts of power. I admit that in the last case it was delivered with a little congratulations card and not thrown, but my point stands. I’ve had my crown for a while now; I’ve fought ancient horrors and brokered truces. I am a Princess too, and I want ponies to understand that. I deserve an attempt at my position like everypony else!"

"But this is not some kind of validation of your role, Twilight. Look, Luna hasn't been attacked either."

Twilight glanced over at Luna, who was making stabbing motions and laughing in front of two covering guards. She really wasn't sure when Luna had grabbed the second one, but it seemed that the budget for psychologists would have to be expanded. Again.

She muttered under her breath, "That kind of drives my point home."

Celestia turned to her ex-pupil and asked, "What?"

"Nothing." Twilight sighed and sat down. "Say, if it has nothing to do with the title, why exactly are there ponies throwing pies at royalty while screaming ‘Gloup! Gloup!’? I thought it was some kind of anti-monarchic movement."

"Hah, we had real enemies of the crown back then! I remember when they poisoned our midnight snacks. I longed for centuries to find that spicy undertone again."

"Hush, Luna. And stop traumatizing the guards." Celestia turned away from her sister, who had added another armored pegasus to her captive audience. "You see, Twilight, the Internationale Pâtissière and I go a long way back." Celestia sighed. "It began with an argument between me and Le Gloupiere—that was my chef back then—about the appropriate amount of vanilla ice cream near a piece of apple strudel. Then things went out of hoof. I made some unkind remark on the futility of the whole argument, how they were wasting my time and about his and his staff's competence. They swore vendetta until I would apologize. That was three hundred and sixty-five years ago."

"Wait, how does that involve Cadance?"

"Things became more complex with time. It evolved, among other things, to a stance against 'arrogance and telling ponies how to do their jobs'. They hit Chrysalis too as far as I know."

Twilight blinked. "How?"

"Well, Chrysalis sent me a long and ranting letter about it."

"No, not that. How did they hit Chrysalis?"

"Oh, that, we don't know. It seems they became masters of disguise in the last few centuries."

"In my time, real masters of disguise would pose as lamps on my nightstand for days before—"

"Luna!" Celestia stomped her hoof, cracking the granite floor.

"What?"

"Would you please let me finish here? And what are you doing to the guards?!"

Luna looked at the distressed pony in front of her, who was wearing a makeshift cloak made from a curtain while pointing an ancient-looking dagger at a cross that was recently painted on Luna’s own princessly flank. "Recreating some happy memories?"

Celestia sighed, and Luna pouted. "Spoilsport."

Twilight closed her eyes and rubbed a hoof on her temple, then looked up at Celestia. "You are telling me a sect of subversive confectioners, who are also masters of disguise, is waging war upon you for an unfortunate comment you made?"

Celestia nodded. "It's not that simple, but that's the gist of it."

"So, if you apologize for that remark, then it's over?"

Celestia stood straight, iron in her voice, her mane ablaze. "I don't negotiate with pastry-terrorists!"

Twilight raised a hoof and opened her mouth to reply, but then shut it again. She studied the fierce determination of her old mentor, looked around at the pies clinging to the walls, then glanced at the impromptu rendition of the siege of Stalliongrad orchestrated by Luna, three reluctant members of the royal guard, two maids and a small dog with a paper crown. She slumped down and said, “Maybe we should become a republic.”


The setting sun shone through the window of the bakery, framing the newspaper in warm light. A picture of Twilight was on the front page below the title Princess Twilight Sparkle Declares Century old Feud Ridiculous and Foalish. On a side column a pundit ranted about the scourge of out of context quotes.

The mare glanced at it briefly as she scooped a large glob of whipped cream and held it over the pie crust. She hesitated. How could it come to that? Why had Twilight—no, Princess Twilight—taken a stance? Why did it have to be the wrong one? They had had so much hope for her. She could have been the Princess on the right side of history.

There was no other way now.

With a decisive gesture, the whipped cream landed in the crust and Mrs. Cake took another scoop. A tear ran down her cheek as she whispered, "Gloup Gloup."

Author's Note:

Thanks to CoffeeMinion for editing and to Noël Godin for existing.

Comments ( 50 )

Sensiblechuckles.gif

Even more wonderfully ludicrous than the Writeoff entry, especially with the Wikipedia entry for context. Thank you for it. :twilightsmile:

Good job, several chuckles were had. Specially Luna. :)
Have a green thumb.

Love the stalliongrad line :rainbowlaugh:

7575079
7575544
:pinkiehappy:


7575459
7575145
Luna's career in theater was sadly cut short by an undeserving audience. Too avant-garde they said. Her "Heart's Warming Eve Interpreted by a Heap of Hysterical Wolverines" was, despite her protest that it was the most historical accurate representation of the events ever brought to th scenes, her last performance.

Later interviews had her saying that she didn't regret the experience, and that the things she learned had a surprisingly practical application in her role as head of state.

She still, from time to time, indulges in small improvisation performances for family and staff.

Equestrian Psychologists Association approves.

7575138

Thanks. I hope it works even without the context, as "Belgian Anarco-Surrealists" is, sadly, not an area o knowledge we could call common.

This was just :rainbowlaugh:
This made my day, and it's fairly early in the day

:rainbowlaugh:

Ok this was funny. Twilight will get her pie and the group will unknowingly make her feel a little better.

7577527
See, more pie in politics improves the quality of life of everyone involved.

7577110
Well, improving the day for someone ranks quite high on my list of things that make me feel fuzzy and warm inside (working title). I'm glad I managed to do that:twilightsmile:

7578286

I just wish I could hit the Republican and Democratic candidates with pies without going to jail or ending up dead.

Twilight's last words (before going to wash pie out of her coat): Et Tu, Pinke?

7580339
Pinkie is kinda innocent in the whole debacle.

7580420 For now, perhaps. But you have an ancient conspiracy of baked goods and rampant silliness afoot, how long before Ponka must choose a side?

7580666
When she has to choose between left and right I fully expect Pinkie to go zonkwards (because four dimensions are for squares (or hypercubes):pinkiecrazy:)

7580959 Then she must be loosed upon the Princess of the Night, who seems convinced that modern assassins are insufficiently entertaining!

m8 the lulz. Luna top kek. like and fav. sequel plz

They're fooling even Changelings with disguises?
No wonder they haven't been caught yet.

And I kind of don't get the ending. Can someone explain, please?

Other than that, nice story.
And good ieas for Luna! I would even say that would be in-character for her; at least for season two.

7582794 That's the reason why they can fool Changelings! It is because Pinkie Pie is one of them!
Also, she feels bad that Twilight didn't take their side and has to be assasinated with Pie.
Not to mention another side, where Twilight probably gave this exact interview to become a target of these "terrorists".

P.S. Damnit, emoticons show through spoilers, and I'd really like to use one.

7579083
Will a fine of 1000000000000 dollars be OK? Because for so much money they will even give you the best pie to throw.
7580989
And a word of advice - they should attack Luna with poisoned pies. A delectable mix of old traditions and new trends!

7583046
I think I got it now.
Except for the Pinkie Pie is a Changeling:pinkiegasp: part. Where did that came from?

And you can use emoticons anyway. I don't see the problem.

7583265
I think you got me wrong here. I never said that Pinkie Pie is a changeling.. I just implied that she's random enough to sneak anywhere, even to changelings. Not to mention that even if changelings are masters of disguise, they may still be bad at guarding their Queen. And the biggest challenge would be to find out where their hive is. Just a hunch!
And the bad thing about emoticons is that you can see them through spoiler tags,:coolphoto: which defies spoiler's purpose.

7583265
7583385
Some black paint, a pair of tissue paper wings and chutzpah can do wonders for an infiltrator:trollestia:

7576466

"Belgian Anarco-Surrealists" is, sadly, not an area o knowledge we could call common.

But it should be...:pinkiegasp:

Thank you ever so much for opening my eyes to this delightful thing! Have a Like and a Fav!

7585084
I know, right? Politics would be so much more fun and less stress inducing.

And thanks for the like and the fav:raritystarry:

I honestly feel better having read this.

Everyone is hilarious and the thought of a pastry themed terrorist organization harassing Celestia for centuries is just priceless. Although, I have to say Luna made the entire story for me.

7608203
Thank you, that is the kind of praise that honestly makes my day:pinkiehappy:

I reviewed this story as part of Read It Later #59; I actually read it all the way back in September, but then got a terrible case of procrastination and never posted anything about it.

My review can be found here.

Okay, the thing with Luna and the cross on her flank made me chuckle, and then the villainous reveal cracked me up. Bravo.

7796190
Then my work here is done.

I'm glad you liked it:twilightsmile:

Gloup gloup indeed... :rainbowlaugh:
That was wonderful.

I both liked and didn't like this story. Oddly.

The comedy is great fun. It reminds me of the little non-Canon Girl Genius interstitial bits. And some _parts_ of it do ring true as character moments. Luna's love of old-fashioned assassination, suitably toned down, would make for a fun character trait. But despite having a lot of fun with this, I don't like it insofar as I'd reject violently the idea of this as canon.

I guess that's the problem of character-destruction comedy. It's funny and it's well written but I just wish I could imagine it as actually happening. For "small cartoon horse" values of 'actually.'

Still, as a pure exercise in being funny and silly, it's a great little story. :twilightsmile:

Final grade: 5 Persimmons out of cinnamon. :trollestia:

7886327
Oh well, I can live with 5 Persimmons.

In The Symposium I probably keep the characters closer too canon, but it is still quite silly under a patina of culture.

Twilight closed her eyes and rubbed a hoof on her temple, then looked up at Celestia. "You are telling me a sect of subversive confectioners, who are also masters of disguise, is waging war upon you for an unfortunate comment you made?"

The saddest part is, it still makes more sense than human politics... :eeyup::trollestia:

Nice story, good work.

7984810

The saddest part is, it still makes more sense than human politics...:eeyup::trollestia:

There's a reason why we have anarcho-surrealism:moustache:

I'm glad you liked the story.

Assassins had manners and good taste back then

Indeed. Nothing but the finest butter-pecan pies for their princesses! They even went the extra length to sweeten it with kahlua. Yum!

Hill.

Larry.

Us.

:rainbowlaugh:!

8647641
And they had the dignity to be at least a little bit dangerous. If one was allergic to pecan at least, or if one got a nut fragment in the eye.

8647987
:trollestia:

"Gloup Gloup.":scootangel:

And poor Luna is left out again.

8851489
She still had some fun, that's all that counts:twilightsmile:

Quite personally, I would lOVE being attacked with pies. The whole thing seems pretty.....ahem.....sweet, to me.

9147593
It's the principle of the thing that matters. And that they used low fat cream, which added insult to (moral) injury.

LOW FAT????!!!!! :pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp: Are you telling me those ruffians had the audacity to use LOW FAT????!!! Oh, the nerve!!!!!! The.....the......the ABOMINATION of it!!!!!!!

DESTROY THEM ALL IMMEDIATELY!!! ETERNAL BANISHMENT TO THE MOON!!!!

NOPONY USES LOW FAT AND LIVES!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME??????!!!! NOPONY!!!!!!!!!!:flutterrage:



(I'm not insane, I swear.....low fat is just my mortal enemy:pinkiehappy:)

Nicely done!
Luna steals the show, as is only right and proper.

9398043
She certainly has the right sense for drama

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

oh boy XD

Quick, Twilight! Interrogate Pinkie Pie!

She's your ally or your enemy, and nothing else! We need a spy!

... Or if it comes to it, a captive. :pinkiecrazy:

Login or register to comment