• Published 3rd Oct 2016
  • 5,247 Views, 131 Comments

The Green Leaves of Everfree - Nordryd



Coppermane's thrilled to attend Camp Everfree with his friends, & Fluttershy's excited to be out in nature with her prince. Though, while there, the couple may encounter the biggest obstacle of their relationship yet.

  • ...
6
 131
 5,247

Ch.8: Detox

The drive to the boutique was silent. Nobody said a single word. Some were still crying from what happened. The storm that raged through the day, crumbling it before everyone’s eyes. At least, that’s how Fluttershy saw it.

Fluttershy sat in the back with Rarity holding her. Black streams of mascara trickled down her cheek as the emotions in her mind stormed. What could she say? What could she say to mend the wounds she created in all her friendships today? Even Starlight… poor Starlight. She must think Fluttershy hates her now. She could see Starlight in the passenger seat next to Sunset, and black mascara stains were on her cheeks too. Pinkie’s hair was still flat and lifeless. Her skin had a subtle shade of gray shrouding it, and she, like almost everyone else, had tears running down her cheek. Even Rainbow Dash and Applejack, the two hardiest girls in the group, had been crying.

Fluttershy sniffled, and Rarity tightened her embrace. The world seemed so much darker now. It appeared to be cloudier outside, and even windier. She looked down and held her geode in her hand. The special geode that linked her to all her friends, and granted them her power. She was tempted to rip it off and throw it out the window. After treating her friends the way she did, she didn’t deserve such a gift. She didn’t deserve her friends. She didn’t even deserve Coppermane.

What would Coppermane say to her? What would he have done if he saw her today? Fluttershy could only guess that he would’ve dumped her. After all, who would want such a selfish girl?

After a car ride that seemed like forever, they arrived at the boutique. As soon as they got out, drops of rain could be heard beating on the car. And they were picking up quickly. Fluttershy and Rarity were the last ones out, and a flash of lightning greeted them as they made haste for the entrance. Thunder crashed outside as they closed the door behind them.

“Alright, girls,” Sunset said. “It’s been a rough day for all of us, but let’s just sit down and talk, okay?”

The girls nodded, and slowly made their way to the couch area. Rarity sat down with Fluttershy. Starlight, Twilight, and Sunset sat on the sofa across from them. Pinkie, Rainbow, and Applejack sat on the floor. A moment of silence passed before anyone felt comfortable to talk.

“Fluttershy?” Sunset asked. “Can you tell about what you’ve been thinking lately? I think I speak for all of us when I say… we’re more worried than ever.”

The girls nodded.

“We want to know what’s been going on,” Sunset said. “We’re not mad at you at all. Whatever you say to us will not leave the boutique. But it’s pretty clear that there’s more happening in your head than what you’ve already told us.”

Fluttershy looked around. All her friends stared intently at her. Their eyes were big and watery. It hurt to see, but their eyes all conveyed the willingness to help her. She could clearly see the concern in all of them. Though, Starlight showed something extra. She was stiff, and her pupils were noticeably constricted, as if she was anticipating something to jump out and scare her.

Fluttershy sighed. “Before I say anything… Starlight?”

Starlight flinched. “Y-Yes?”

“I-I’m sorry,” Fluttershy said. “I’ve been the worst to you, and you just got here. I don’t hate you at all, and… I’d love to spend time with you.”

The fear in her eyes melted away, along with a sigh of relief.

“Thanks, Fluttershy,” Starlight said. “I hope we can still be friends.”

Fluttershy managed a small smile. “Y-You are my friend.”

Starlight smiled, placing her hand on her heart.

“Y-You’re all my friends,” Fluttershy said. “The most wonderful friends I could ask for. But I’ve been so horrible to you. I didn’t mean to be so selfish. I just wanted to see my poor Coppermane so badly that it was all I cared about. And… oh goodness… I-I didn’t mean to lose my temper like that…”

Rarity wrapped her arms around Fluttershy as tears fell down her cheek again.

“It’s okay, darling,” Rarity said. “We know you didn’t mean it.”

“In hindsight… we did sound a mite insensitive,” Applejack said.

“I-I scare myself when I think about it,” Fluttershy whimpered. “I don’t know what came over me. I meant none of it. I don’t hate you girls. I could never hate you.” She let out a long sigh, trying to calm herself down. “You girls are right. I-I shouldn’t be visiting every day. I’ve never had anyone I care about in the hospital before. I didn’t know it could be so stressful.”

“That’s why we did what we did,” Twilight said. “And we’re glad you’ve realized it.”

“At least now we know not to make you angry,” Pinkie remarked, earning a giggle from everyone. Only a small giggle, but it was ambrosia for the girls after today.

“I’m so sorry about today,” Fluttershy said. “I feel awful.”

“That’s why we’re here, darling,” Rarity said. “Friends help each other, no matter what.”

Everyone nodded, putting a much-needed smile on Fluttershy’s face.

“Girls… I-I haven’t been feeling like myself,” Fluttershy said.

“We’re listening,” Sunset said.

“I’ve been so worried. I think you all know that. But… there’s more. You see, at camp Coppermane kept talking about the magic. I’ve told him that he doesn’t need magic to win my love or all of us as friends. He has us because we like him as a person, and he has me because he’s the most amazing guy I’ve ever met. But I think seeing all of us gain these powers made him feel… inferior. He even told me that he wishes he could have magic too so he could help. I wasn’t sure what to say. I didn’t ask for this power. None of us did. I don’t think he blames any of us, he just blames fate. When Gloriosa attacked, I told him to go somewhere safe so he didn’t get hurt. He wouldn’t go, saying he wanted to help, and… I-I snapped at him. I told him that he doesn’t have magic, and that he can’t help. I don’t think I could’ve made him feel worse about himself.” Fluttershy stopped for a moment, trying to stop the tears from falling. With a deep breath, she continued. “He looked so hurt. What was I supposed to do? I just wanted him to be safe. But when he looked back, he started sprinting towards me. He pushed me away, and when I looked at him again… she had him. I couldn’t do anything about it. I don’t know what she did to him, but when the next time I saw him, he was hurt. Unconscious. And now he’s in the hospital, and I may never get to hear his voice again.” Fluttershy had to take a few deep breaths to calm herself down. “He’s in the hospital, and it’s all my fault! I should’ve been faster. The last memory he has of me is being turned away because he doesn’t have magic. Even if he wakes up… what if he’s not the same? I… I… oh, Coppermane, I’m so sorry!”

Fluttershy broke down, collapsing in Rarity’s lap. Silence fell across the room as they let Fluttershy get her emotions out. They looked around at each other, and they could see that everyone understood what Fluttershy had been going through. It was more than just the fear of losing a loved one. No wonder she lost her temper like she did. Who knows how long those emotions had been simmering inside of her.

After a full minute of tears, Fluttershy started to calm down.

“Fluttershy, it’s not your fault,” Twilight said.

“Gloriosa was a huge powerful meanie at the time,” Pinkie said.

“She was hard for even us to take down,” Rainbow said.

“B-But… if I had been faster…”

“Fluttershy, don’t blame yourself for what happened,” Sunset said.

“Wouldn’t Coppermane want you to be safe too?” Starlight asked.

Fluttershy pondered, and then nodded.

“You know how I see it, darling?” Rarity asked. “He saw his loved one in trouble, about to be taken by that dreadful monster, and without a second thought he ran back to save you. Nothing else mattered but your safety, no matter the cost. If he hadn’t have done what he did, you might not even be with us right now. Fluttershy… he was willing to sacrifice himself for you. He didn’t have to do it. He just loves you so much that he put your life in front of his own. It’s no fault of yours. And I think deep down, he knows that you would’ve done the same for him.”

“And he’s not dead, Fluttershy,” Sunset said. “He’s still here.”

“More importantly, Coppermane is one of the strongest guys we know,” Rainbow said, everyone else nodding in agreement.

“Fluttershy, I don’t know this world’s Coppermane, but I know the Coppermane back in Equestria,” Starlight said. “You’re really lucky to have someone who loves you as much as he does, and he’s lucky to have you. I would hazard to guess that he’s fighting this coma with every fiber of his being just so he can be with you again.”

“Fluttershy, don’t blame yourself for what happened,” Sunset said. “It was beyond our control.”

“He might not have magic, but he has the sweetest girlfriend in the world,” Twilight said. “I know you’ll support him no matter what, and cheer him up when he’s down.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow said. “Let’s just hope he doesn’t make her angry anytime soon.”

The girls all laughed, and Fluttershy blushed profusely.

“I think I’m going to take a few days off from the hospital,” Fluttershy said. “I need it.”

“We’re relieved to hear you say that, sweetheart,” Rarity said.

“And no matter what, we’re here for you Fluttershy,” Sunset said. “Don’t be afraid to talk to us. We’ll do everything in our power to make you happy and healthy.”

Fluttershy smiled. “Thank you. All of you. I… I don’t deserve friends like you. I love you girls so much.”

“We love you too,” Rarity said, giving her a big hug. Everyone else joined in, almost smothering her. She couldn’t stop a big smile from breaking out. How lucky could one girl be to have such amazing friends?

“Um, Fluttershy?” Starlight asked after everyone sat back down.

“Yes?”

“C-Can I ask… how you met Coppermane?”

Fluttershy blushed. “Oh… um… m-maybe I shouldn’t. Th-This day has been all about me, I don’t want to take up any more of your time.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, darling,” Rarity said. “Perhaps talking about memories with Coppermane would help?”

“It always makes you happy!” Pinkie said, the life having returned to her hair and skin.

“Besides, some of us weren’t there ourselves,” Sunset said, an eyebrow raised.

Fluttershy looked around, and they were all looking at her intently. But it wasn’t like before. Now, their eyes were filled with the joy of being together as friends.

“Well… it was Friday after school. Princess Twilight had paid us a visit, and I was walking around with her, when we spotted a guy getting things out of his locker. I recognized him from math, but didn’t know his name yet. Then two mean bullies came and jumped him. Princess Twilight and I saw it all happen, and we just had to go help him. He seemed so scared, like we were going to hurt him. Twilight got him up, and we helped gather his things. I reached for a paper, and he did too. And… that’s when it happened. I looked up, and in front of me were just the biggest, warmest brown eyes I’ve ever seen. Nobody had ever looked at me like he did. I-I didn’t know what to do with myself.”

“Aww, that’s cute!” Starlight said.

Fluttershy giggled. “We talked that whole week. I got to know him more, and then after band practice he asked me out!”

“I think that’s the giddiest I’ve ever seen Fluttershy,” Sunset said.

“Darn tootin’,” Applejack said.

“I don’t think you ever told us what happened on that first date of yours,” Rainbow said with a smirk.

“Oh… nothing much,” Fluttershy said. “He just brought me to his house and we watched a movie. But he was so sweet! He cuddled with me, he brushed my hair, he told me why he liked me, and… our first kiss!” She let out a little squeal of joy.

“That’s really cool,” Starlight said.

“The next day we went to the mall, and he won me a stuffed unicorn from the prize corner, and he bought me this necklace!” she said, showing it to them.

Rarity obviously took an interest. “How have I never seen this up close before? It’s beautiful, and goes marvelously with your eye color.”

Fluttershy giggled. “I’ll never forget the first time we slow danced. The power was out, so all we had were candles, but it was so romantic! He had a whole playlist on his phone with a bunch of slow songs on it, just for slow dancing. It was so cute! He held me close, looked at me with those warm, chocolaty brown eyes, and said how lucky he was to have me, and… he said I was the most beautiful girl in the world!”

“Aww!” all the girls said.

“He also got me this bracelet for our ten-month anniversary,” Fluttershy said, holding her hand out to show it to them.

“Oh my!” Rarity said, examining it closely. “It’s exquisite! You never told me he has such wonderful taste in jewelry.”

Fluttershy couldn’t help but blush.

“What about this other bracelet, darling?” Rarity asked, pointing to the bead bracelet.

“Oh, this? He made it for me at camp. He has a matching one. He said it’s a little piece of him for me to carry around,” Fluttershy said.

“Aww, that’s cute,” Starlight said.

“It says ‘I love you’ on it,” Sunset said. “That’s really sweet.”

“He also told me that each of the beads represents a happy memory he has of me, and all the teal ones are for each month we’ve been dating,” Fluttershy said. "I-I never leave home without it. It's the sweetest thing he's ever given me."

“Wow…” Starlight said. “He sounds really great.”

“He’s amazing!” Fluttershy swooned. “He’s smart, sweet, talented, the cutest thing, and so handsome! Soft, coppery hair, pearly white skin, and the warmest brown eyes in the world! Like chocolate chips in a freshly-baked cookie. I could look at them all day!”

The girls all giggled. Fluttershy just goes gaga whenever she talks about Coppermane.

“He’s the strongest guy I’ve ever met,” she continued. “He’s changed my life. I… I love him. I love him so much.”

“And he loves you, sweetness,” Rarity said. “He loves you with all his heart. And we love him too.”

Everyone gave a nod.

“I hope I can meet him soon,” Starlight said. “He sounds like a great guy.”

“He’s a little shy, but he’s fun once you get him to open up,” Rainbow said.

“We still have to get him to dance at parties!” Pinkie said.

“Like Rainbow said, he’s a little shy,” Applejack said.

“I hope you can meet him soon too, Starlight,” Sunset said.

“Do you know how long Princess Twilight said you should stay?” Twilight asked.

Suddenly, Fluttershy’s phone buzzed. She picked it up, and looked at it quizzically. It wasn’t a number she recognized, but it was Canterlot’s area code, so she tapped the answer button.

“H-Hello?”

The volume was a bit high on the phone, so everyone was able to hear a little of the other line.

“Hello, may I speak to a Miss… ‘Fluttershy’, please?”

“Um… sp-speaking…?”

“Hello, Miss Fluttershy, how are you this evening? This is the Canterlot hospital calling you about Coppermane. Your number was the first in his emergency contact list.”

“Coppermane? Wh-What about him? Is he okay?”

“He’s fine. And the reason I’ve called is… his eyes have opened.”

Fluttershy gasped. “He’s awake?!”

“Miss, waking up from a coma doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a process.”

“But… his eyes are open?”

“Yes, and he is responding to basic stimuli like waving a finger in front of his eye, touch, and sound. He’s very weak, and can’t speak much at all. However, he keeps saying your name.”

“He… he’s saying my name?”

“Yes. There isn’t a whole lot of time left for visiting hours though, so if you want to visit him, I suggest you hurry.”

“Thank you, doctor!” Fluttershy said, hanging up. “Coppermane’s awake!!!”

“We heard!” Rainbow said.

“W-We have to get to the hospital now!” Fluttershy cried. “H-He wants me!”

“What?” Applejack asked.

“The doctor said he keeps saying my name! I-I have to go see him! There’s only a few minutes of visiting time left!”

“Fluttershy,” Rainbow said, “What about everything we just—”

“Rainbow,” Sunset interrupted. “This is different. He’s awake now. Fluttershy has been waiting for this. I’ll take you, Fluttershy. Anyone else who wants to go, we have to go now.”

Fluttershy bolted out the door, not caring that it was raining outside. “Hurry! Hurry!!!”

Nobody was staying behind for this. All the girls crammed in Sunset’s car, and were off to the hospital in a flash.


“I’m here to see Coppermane!” Fluttershy said to the desk clerk.

“There’s only ten minutes left of visiting hours,” said the clerk.

“He just woke up from a coma!” Fluttershy said. “I just want to see him for a few minutes, please!

“Okay!” the clerk said, somewhat defensively. “Don’t worry about passes this time, as there’s not a lot of time left. Just… keep your voice down, please.”

“Oh, thank you!” Fluttershy said, running to Coppermane’s room. The rest of the group quickly followed before they could hear the rule about too many people in one room.

Fluttershy slowed down outside the door, and took a deep breath before she entered.

“C-Coppermane?” she said. She looked over at the bed, and lo and behold… his eyes were open. With a groan he slowly and shakily lifted his hand to the sound.

“Fl… Fluttershy…?” he whispered.

“Coppermane!!! Oh, Coppermane!!!” Fluttershy cried, immediately rushing up and giving him the biggest hug she’s ever given him, crying hysterically into his clothes. She gave him kisses upon kisses on the cheek, holding him tightly. She wailed as her tears soaked his bandages. “I thought I lost you forever!”

Her friends came in, and sure enough, he was awake. Fluttershy was hysterical, sobbing as she held him. They saw Coppermane’s arm slowly and weakly wrap around her as her crying died down. But she still held him tight.

She leaned back to look at him. His eyes were barely open. He looked as if he could barely move.

“Fl… Fluttershy…?” he whispered again.

Fluttershy smiled, bringing his hand up to her cheek. “Yes. It’s me. It’s your Fluttershy. I’m here for you.”

She felt his fingers start to move, caressing her cheek. A small smile grew on his face.

“Fluttershy…” he whispered.

“Yes,” Fluttershy said. “And look… all your friends are here too.”

They all waved at him as he slowly scanned the room.

“F-Friends…”

“Oh, my poor baby…” Fluttershy whimpered, holding his hand.

“What’s going on in here?” said a doctor, walking in. Coppermane’s doctor. “Ah, I see you decided to visit.”

“Of course!” Fluttershy said. “I missed him so much.”

“Well, he can’t speak very well at the moment,” the doctor said. “He’s very confused and exhausted. Waking from a coma is a process, like I said. He might need some physical therapy to recuperate, but after monitoring him today, I think he’s on track for a full recovery.”

“Really?” Fluttershy said.

“Your beau is very strong,” the doctor said. “This is actually the first time I’ve seen him smile today.”

Fluttershy looked down at Coppermane, and he was fixated on her. It made her blush. She interlaced her fingers with his, and looked into his wonderful brown eyes. The brown eyes she missed dearly.

“I… I…” Coppermane groaned.

“Yes? What is it, Coppermane?” Fluttershy encouraged.

“I… l-love… y-you…”

Fluttershy’s heart melted. She couldn’t help another tear from falling. She leaned in and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“I love you too, Coppermane,” Fluttershy said.

“I… l-love… y-you… I… l-love…” Coppermane repeated those words like a mantra before his eyes closed and his hand went limp.

“C-Coppermane?” Fluttershy cried.

“Don’t worry,” the doctor said. “He’s been like this all day. Like I said, he’s very exhausted. He’s recovering quickly, though. I’d say he’ll be able to speak in complete sentences soon. Once he can stay awake for a longer period of time we can explain what happened. Until then, I say we should let him rest.”

The girls nodded and began making their way out, except for Fluttershy. Just one more minute with him.

She noticed the stuffed unicorn was on the table next to him.

“Did you leave that stuffed animal here?” the doctor asked.

“Yes I did,” Fluttershy said. “He gave it to me as a gift when we first started dating. I wanted him to have it. M-Maybe it would help?”

“Maybe, Miss. Maybe.” the doctor said.

Fluttershy was about to leave, but a thought stopped her. She looked down, and held her geode in her hand. The symbol of her magic. She looked back at Coppermane, and back at the geode. She smiled, and removed the geode from her neck.

“Here,” she said, walking up to Coppermane. He placed it in his hand, and closed his fingers around it. “I’m always with you, Coppermane. Don’t forget how much I love you. I’ll come back and see you again really soon.” She gave him one more kiss. This time, on the lips. “Goodnight, my prince. I love you.”

With that, Fluttershy exited the room, greeted by her friends. She was quickly smothered in another group hug; this being the warmest of them all. As Fluttershy left the building with her friends, she realized she didn’t feel an ounce of stress anymore.

The weight of the world had been lifted off her shoulders, and once more, she could breathe.

Author's Note:

There you go.  He's finally awake, technically speaking.  He can open his eyes.  Quick update, I know, but I had this idea brewing in my head and couldn't wait.

Stay tuned for the next chapter.  Probably won't be this quick, but hopefully won't take forever either. Thanks for sticking with me!  Have a good one :pinkiehappy: