• Published 3rd Oct 2016
  • 5,243 Views, 131 Comments

The Green Leaves of Everfree - Nordryd



Coppermane's thrilled to attend Camp Everfree with his friends, & Fluttershy's excited to be out in nature with her prince. Though, while there, the couple may encounter the biggest obstacle of their relationship yet.

  • ...
6
 131
 5,243

Ch.6: The Candle and the Scythe

“Um… hello. I-I’m here to see Coppermane,” Fluttershy said to the desk clerk.

“Yes, miss,” they said. “Could I have your name please?”

“Fluttershy,” she said, watching as they wrote her name on a visitor’s pass label. They also wrote a number, which she recognized as Coppermane’s room number.

“Here you go,” they said, giving the sticker to Fluttershy. “He’s in room 107. Right on this floor, make a left, and the room will be on the left-hand side. And visiting hours end at 8, so please plan accordingly.”

“Thank you very much,” Fluttershy said, not wasting another second. She put the sticker on and walked to Coppermane’s room. Her first day at school after what happened was full of worry. She came close to crying a few times just from the thoughts of what might happen to her loved one, but she soldiered through it. Now was the time she’d been waiting for all day.

She arrived at his room just when his doctor was exiting.

“Ah, good afternoon, miss,” he said. “You’re here to see Coppermane, I assume?”

“Yes,” Fluttershy said. “H-How is he?”

“Nothing has really changed, but that’s normal for such a short amount of time,” he said. “I’m sure the comfort of a very loving girlfriend will only help.” He stepped aside and gestured into the room, welcoming Fluttershy to enter.

She walked in, and a gasp escaped her mouth. She knew what to expect, but the sight of her Coppermane in such a state still shocked her. He looked so pale, like his spirit was slowly dwindling. The ominous pulse of a heart monitor reminded everyone who heard it of how delicate the threads of life are.

“Wh-What should I do?” Fluttershy said.

“In my experience, visitors always introduce themselves and just talk,” the doctor said. “Tell them about their day, reminisce about happier times, or even just hold their hand. I can’t tell you exactly what to do, but I’m sure just the pure company of a loved one would be comforting, even though they might not respond.”

“I-I see,” Fluttershy said. “Um… thank you, doctor.”

The doctor gave a nod, and left Fluttershy alone with Coppermane. She took a deep breath and pulled up a chair. She sat down next to him, and gently took his hand, sandwiching it between hers.

“H-Hi, Coppermane,” she said softly. “It’s me… Fluttershy.”

No response, not like she expected one. Still, it was comforting to talk to him again.

“I… um… I just came here from school. Y-You know how Mondays are. But even for a Monday… it was so quiet. So much happened on the last day of camp, I guess everyone’s still trying to get over it. They were all was asking me about you. All I could tell them was that… you’re in a coma.” Fluttershy choked on her words, holding back her tears. The reality of her words was ice cold. “But you know what they always told me afterwards? They told me… you’re a hero. They talk about how wonderful of a boyfriend you are, and all the girls say how they wish they could have a guy who loves them as much as you love me. Coppermane… I-I don’t know if you can hear me, but I can’t even describe how grateful I am. I’m so lucky to have someone as sweet and loving as you.” She got up to give him a kiss on the cheek. A chill ran down her spine at how cold his cheek was.

“Um… I-I still wearing the bracelet you gave me. I haven’t taken it off since you gave it to me. It’s my little piece of you, just like you said.” She noticed that he was wearing his own matching bracelet on his non-broken arm. And she never noticed it before, but there were letter beads on his bracelet too. Curious, she carefully lifted his hand to read it… and she gasped. All it said was… Fluttershy. She took his hand, bringing it up to caress her cheek. “I love you so much,” she whispered as a tear escaped her eye. She rubbed his hand on her cheek, closing her eyes and savoring the feeling. Even though it wasn’t him stroking her cheek, the sensation was electrifying.

She opened her eyes, and the silence of the room made the heart monitor seem louder. Every pulse seemed to darken the room a smidgeon, and each one made it harder for Fluttershy to keep her tears in, until they just came dripping out.

“I-I miss you. I miss you so much. I’m not ready for you to go, Coppermane,” Fluttershy cried, holding his hand close to her face, soaking it with her tears. “You’re everything to me. You’re my hero. You’ve always been my hero. Oh, Coppermane, this is all my fault. I should’ve been faster. I shouldn’t have yelled at you. I just wanted you to be safe, but now… Please don’t go. Don’t leave me. I-I’m so sorry!”

Her angst and guilt overtook her, and she began sobbing into Coppermane’s hand, holding it close. All she wanted was for Coppermane to hold her in his arms and tell her everything would be alright. But he couldn’t, and he may never be able to ever again. She could feel her heart ripping at the seams.

For about half-an-hour she cried, before finally calming down. She lifted her head to see her mascara had left some black dots on his blanket, as well as some black streams on his arm. She wiped her cheeks dry, still sniffling. Is this how all hospital visitors feel when their loved ones are in critical condition? When the probability of survival isn’t one-hundred percent? Fluttershy sat there, sniffling, crying, and staring at her true love. The very threshold between life and death right in front of her… and the uncertainty that came with it. The ambiguity that plagues her mind and worries her so.

How could anyone deal with this? It was torture; enough to make one go insane.

Fluttershy took a deep breath and pondered, trying to take her mind off what was happening. Something… anything… any glimmer of light. Her eyes locked on Coppermane’s bracelet. The reminder that she was his, and how much she loves him. She looked down at her own bracelet, and all its colors. Suddenly memories surfaced. Memories of their relationship from its very roots. The storm in her mind subsided, replaced by happy reminiscence after the other. She took Coppermane’s hand again, and even though he couldn’t see her, she offered a smile.

“D-Do you remember our first date, Coppermane?” she whispered. Her voice was soft and shaky, but was like a small crack of light in a dark cave. Darkness… with a hint of hope. “You were so cute when you asked me out. So shy and sweet, and those big, hopeful brown eyes, how could any girl say no?” she said with a giggle. “I was so nervous, but when you took my hand for the first time, it all just faded away. I’ll never forget our first kiss. I never thought it would be so… magical. The way you looked at me… the way you brushed my hair… the way you held me in your arms… I still get giddy thinking about it!”

She glanced down at her bracelet, each color evoking a new memory.

“I-I still have the stuffed unicorn you gave me. I have it right now,” she said, unzipping her backpack and pulled out the precious stuffed unicorn, holding it tightly in her arms. “I’ve been carrying it around with me everywhere. It’s like… you’re still with me.” Fluttershy paused for a moment, looking down at the stuffed unicorn and back up at Coppermane. She brought the stuffed unicorn up to look it in the eye. She sighed and gave it a kiss on the forehead.

“Here,” she said, lifting his arm and placing the stuffed unicorn beside him. “I’m always with you Coppermane. Don’t forget that.”

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

“Excuse me? Miss?”

Fluttershy turned around to see the doctor standing in the doorway.

“I hate to interrupt, but I’m afraid visiting hours are over,” he said.

“Oh,” Fluttershy said. “Um… o-okay, just… one more moment?” She looked down at Coppermane, unmoved from when she first saw him today. Taking a deep breath, she leaned in close to his ear. “I have to go now, but I’ll be back tomorrow. You’re strong, Coppermane. Come back to me soon, please?” She gave him a kiss on the cheek. “I love you so much. G-Goodbye.”

One more kiss on the cheek, and Fluttershy finally brought herself to let go of Coppermane’s hand. She gathered her things and exited out of the room, but not before one more glance.

“Have a good night, miss,” the doctor said.

“G-Good night, doctor,” Fluttershy said. “And… thank you.”

The doctor gave her a nod. “You’re very welcome.”

He walked in and shut the door. Fluttershy stood for a moment before sighing and walking to the exit. As she walked, her head began to pound. After spending this entire visit alone, all she wanted was the comfort of a friend. She took out her phone and texted her friends to see if they were available. If there’s any group of girls that know how to make Fluttershy feel better, it was her friends.

Coppermane is strong, just like Applejack said. It was a dire situation, but if Fluttershy knew one thing, it was that Coppermane never goes down easily…

Author's Note:

Why is this chapter called The Candle and the Scythe? Well, it's actually pretty simple. The candle (when lit) represents life, and the scythe represents death. A symbolic (though simply symbolic) title that captures what Fluttershy is experiencing and realizing about life. It's delicate. She knows he might make it, but that implies he might... not make it.

A heavy chapter, but it's a heavy situation, and I hope you'll stick around to see what happens next. Thanks for all your support, and stay tuned for next time. :pinkiesad2: