• Published 18th Sep 2016
  • 3,995 Views, 121 Comments

Rise of the Wholesome - Masterweaver



With the arrival of magic on Earth, some people have found themselves with new powers... and new responsibilities.

  • ...
15
 121
 3,995

Facing Adversity

"Protect those who cannot adapt quickly; they might have a useful take later on."

The heels of her shoes clicked sharply as she marched across the tiled floor, her face a mask of piercing calm. Only the constant flicker of green flame from her head betrayed the endless, swirling rage that she felt.

"Whoa! Lady, you're on fire! Literally!"

"I am aware of that, Rainbow Dash."

"Wait, how did you...?" The blue teenager shot up, literally hovering after her. "You're Chrysalis, aren't you? The leader of the orgy cult--" She fluttered back a touch when the fire flared. "--not that I think it's just an orgy cult, it's just what people call it, which totally isn't fair to you guys."

Chrysalis nodded, not looking at her. "I am the mother of the Wholesome, yes."

"Wow. And here we are, running into each other at the airport. After you talked with all of Sunset's other friends. Weird, huh?"

"Entirely coincidence, I assure you. I don't really have much time to chat."

"Your flight leaving soon? I getcha. So, if you don't mind me asking, where are you headed?"

The woman stopped, turning to look at her with an annoyed frown. "...Tauros."

"Ooog." Dash winced. "Wow. You've got guts. Some of the shit I've heard Tirek is pulling..." She landed, putting her hand on the back of her neck. "Look, if you're going there, could you do me a favor and see if you can find somebody?"

Something in her voice, a faint waver, made Chrysalis drop her frown. "...A friend?"

"Friend of a friend. Vapor Trail, she transferred to Cloudsdale campus... she's really talented and all, but lately she's been off her game. Apparently she knew somebody named Sky Stinger--his family decided to take a trip overseas shortly before the Tauros situation got bad." Dash bit her lip. "Look, Vapor's basically the best of me blended with the best of Fluttershy--super athlete, super nice--and it's been eating at her for a while. I'm fine winning competitions, but not... not when she's like that. Anything you can find out--"

"Sky Stinger? Hmm." Chrysalis's eyes glowed for a moment or two. "Ah! Interesting. He was captured and had his down harvested, but I understand he broke out recently and is helping a resistance cell. I don't know about his family, but--"

"Hold up!" Rainbow Dash cried, giving her a look of astonishment. "How did you know that?!"

Chrysalis took a moment to examine the teenager, carefully considering what she knew of her. Eventually, she sighed. "Walk with me, miss Dash. Or hover, if you wish."

"Uh... okay?" Dash flicked into the air again, trailing after her as she moved. "So, about Sky Stinger--"

"You are aware of the Tauros relief fund, I hope?"

"Oh, yeah. Some Harmonists are sneaking care packages over the border, with food and... stuff that helps people."

The tall woman glanced sideways. "And how do you suppose they know where the packages are most needed? Or how to avoid being caught by Tauros border patrols? How did they become aware of the situation after Tirek clamped down on the media?"

"Um." Rainbow frowned. "Actually... that's a pretty good question. I mean, I guess I could say 'magic' or something, but--"

"Miss Dash, my children will feel their magic refreshed whenever positive feelings are directed at them. Most have learned to manipulate their chromelanin. The best of them are in direct mental contact with me, as well as milder mental contact with their own flocks."

The teenager screwed up her eyes. "So... if they're nice they can regain lost power, they have the ability to look like anyone of their aspect, and there's an undetectable intelligence... network... oh my gosh." She pointed at Chrysalis. "You're the one telling the Harmonists where to send their stuff!"

"Not alone, and not directly. My children are doing most of the work. We're also the ones helping refugees escape the border, informing various countries of the situation, and keeping Tirek from finding out about security leaks." She let out a slow breath. "It's... not as easy as it sounds, even with our advantages. Some of my children..."

Dash blinked, landing and walking as her voice trailed off. "They... oh. That's... rough." She reached up and awkwardly patted Chrysalis's shoulder. "If you need to talk or something--"

Another woman walked up. "The Dusk files, Mother." She glanced at the teenager even as she handed over a manilla folder. "I didn't know we were involving anyone else."

"She's not coming, we're just talking." Chrysalis nodded. "Thank you, Spinnerette. Can you please ensure that the others are ready?"

"...I still don't like this plan. There's too much that can go wrong."

"I don't like it either, but unless you can find a better solution..."

Spinnerette sighed, shaking her head. "No. Just... be careful." She stood there for a moment, then leaned in to give Chrysalis a quick peck on the cheek before marching briskly off.

"...Uh..." Rainbow Dash pointed. "What was that all about?"

"Miss Dash... you are going to stay here." The woman opened the folder, flipping through the papers carefully. "I want to make that clear--you are not going to get involved. The best thing you can do is help the Wholesome prepare for the fallout."

"What? What are you--is that a helicopter?!" cried Dash.

"Yes. Rated for travel across the ocean." Chrysalis snapped the folder shut with a grim smile. "Let's just say my visit isn't quite on Tirek's itenerary."

"Wait, I don't understand. What's going on here?"

Chrysalis turned to Dash, green fire rising from her exposed shoulders. "He had taken the magic of 'worthy' unicorn aspects and ripped the gems from the heads of those that weren't. He has set up routine harvest of pegasus down and slandered griffon aspects so much they can't walk the streets safely. He has rounded up earth aspects like cattle... and I don't want to break your mind with what happened to those few who had aspects like the geology club. I might not have been there personally, but my children were, and what they see, I see."

"Oh. But... I thought an army--"

"He has an army of his own! And worse, he has his magic absorbing abilities. Any assassin sent his way would be drained. Any infantry, simply batted away. I have sat by, watching him gain power from a distance... and organizing my own counter strike."

The helicopter's blades whirred to life, and Chrysalis turned. Her hair mixed with her fire, even as she strode into the wind. "Mark this day, Miss Dash. Today is the day of Tauros' liberation. Today is the day of the Wholesome's vengeance." She stepped into the cockpit and buckled in.

"Today... Tirek shall fall."