• Published 14th Feb 2017
  • 442 Views, 8 Comments

The Fortune Cookie and Other Tales - -TheStoryteller-



A short collection of mysteries and thrillers

  • ...
 8
 442

Teddy

“…and they all lived happily ever after! The End,” said Applejack as she closed the book. She then tucked the covers up to Apple Bloom’s chin, gave her a peck on the cheek and added, “Good night, sugarcube.”

“Good night, Applejack.” Apple Bloom yawned and rolled over on her side as Applejack turned off the light and closed her door. The little filly was fast asleep within minutes. Several hours passed uneventfully.

The moon shone dimly through the curtained windows, casting deep shadows throughout the room. The old house had stood for many generations of Apples, so it was not uncommon for a little squeak or a twitch to be heard when the wind was just right and the temperature changed.

But tonight there was a different sound…something faint at first, but grew slightly louder, like something furtive was moving about. Click…click…scrape…

Then there was a *bump* against her bed, just hard enough to cause Apple Bloom to open her eyes and stare into the darkness. What was that? Something had awakened her, but she wasn’t sure just what.

She sat up and looked around. Everything seemed normal, but she was still uneasy. There was the shape of her toy box beneath the window. A clock ticked on the wall and she could just make out the dial. It was late, a few minutes past three. The wind blew gently through the open shutters, ruffling the curtains. Could that have been it? She strained her ears listening, but nothing seemed out of place. Then she stared at her closet. Was…was the door open a crack? She couldn’t be sure, but it might be.

She thought about closing it, but that would mean getting out of bed. As she began to reach for the lamp on her nightstand, she heard a noise again, and she froze. Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw something move. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up and she held her breath as she slowly turned in that direction. Were the shadows deeper there? She was staring at the spot when suddenly she heard a faint hiss, then something black, darker than the shadows suddenly detached itself from the wall and scurried into her closet. The door closed with a small click. Apple Bloom’s eyes grew wide as she hitched her breath a few times, then screamed as loud as she could.

Soon, her sister and brother came running. “Apple Bloom! What is it?!” shouted Applejack. She hurriedly switched on the overhead light as she and Big Mac crowded into the room. But Apple Bloom could only stare and point at the closet. Big Mac went up to the closet door, bared his teeth and threw it open, prepared to pummel whoever it was hiding in his little sister’s room. But there was nothing there. Nothing but clothes and mane ribbons. He and Applejack turned to look at Apple Bloom.

“What was it, Apple Bloom? What did you see?” asked AJ.

The filly trembled while keeping her covers pulled up to her chin. “I…I ain’t sure what I saw. It was so dark, but I seen something run into the closet!”

Applejack and Big Mac exchanged a look. He smiled and said, “You really scared us, lil sis. You musta been dreamin’.” But Apple Bloom frantically shook her head.

“I saw it! It was standin’ over there by the wall, an’ then it ran in there!” She again pointed at her closet.

“You just had a bad dream, silly filly,” said Applejack. “Now, you just lay down and go back to sleep,” she said while adjusting her pillows and helping her get settled. “Everything will be alright in the morning.”

Apple Bloom’s eyes were still wide as she said, “Can…can I sleep in your room?”

Applejack sighed, then said, “Alright, just this once. But yer a big filly, an’ you gotta sleep in yer own bed from now on.” Apple Bloom jumped up and followed Applejack to her room, then they both got into bed. Applejack was soon lightly snoring, but Apple Bloom took a bit longer to fall asleep, as she kept staring off into the dark. Eventually, she drifted off, still clinging to her sister.

The next morning, Apple Bloom popped her eyes open and sat straight up in bed. She was alone. Applejack must have gotten up early and let her sleep. Apple Bloom got out of bed and made her way to her own room. Cautiously, she cracked the door open and peeked inside.

Everything seemed normal, so she went all the way in and stood near the closet. She reached out a hoof to the knob but then drew it back as if she’d been burnt. She thought there was something…moving… in there…she could just hear it. Quickly, she turned and ran downstairs.

When she entered the kitchen, there was no one else there but Granny. She was sitting next to a plate of pancakes and a glass of milk. She looked up at Apple Bloom and said, “Come in, child. You must be hungry.”

Apple Bloom sat herself down, but could hardly bring herself to eat. Granny’s brow furrowed as she watched her granddaughter push the food around her plate, taking only small bites. Finally, she said, “I hear you been havin’ bad dreams.”

Apple Bloom stared at her plate and said, “They weren’t no dreams, Granny. I saw it.”

“What did you see, child?”

Something in Granny’s voice made Apple Bloom pay close attention to her. But she sighed and said, “You…you won’t believe me, any more than Big Mac or AJ did.”

“Try me.”

She took a deep breath, remembering. Then she said, “It was pitch black, darker than night. It…it hissed at me, then ran into my closet.” She stared at Granny. “I think it’s still in there.”

Granny was silent for a few moments. Then she said, “I believe you.”

Apple Bloom’s face lit up. “You do?! Then we gotta tell Twilight or somepony that can take care of that thing!”

Granny shook her head. “No young un, I don’t think Twilight can help with this.” She got slowly to her hooves. “Come with me.”

Puzzled, Apple Bloom got up and followed her. Granny lead them upstairs to the attic. Turning to her she said, “Wait right there. I know it’s up here somewhere.” She began rummaging through the boxes for quite some time, while the filly nervously watched her.

Finally, Apple Bloom said, “Granny? What are you lookin’ for?”

“Found it!” exclaimed Granny. She turned around, and there she held a teddy bear in her hooves.

Apple Bloom looked a little worried as she stared at Granny and the toy. It was a fuzzy brown, clean but faded. It was a bit threadbare in places and looked very old. But what drew the filly's attention were its eyes. They were brown, and one drooped lower than the other, but as she stared into them they almost seemed to have a life of their own. If she had to name an emotion the eyes had, it was...sad? “Umm…Granny? What good is that?”

Granny smiled. “You’ll see.” She looked fondly at the toy. “Just put him in your room tonight.”

Apple Bloom’s heart fell. She’d actually believed Granny was going to help her, not do something like this. Still, she decided to humor her. “O…Okay, Granny. I will.”

Granny’s smile grew broader. “That’s a good girl!”

Apple Bloom forced a smile, but inside she felt miserable. She took the toy and went to her room, then stopped and listened. She could hear nothing this time, but she was taking no chances. Quickly, she set the teddy on her bed and left.

Later that day found her at the CMC clubhouse, waiting for Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle to show up. Soon, she heard them coming and went to the window.

“What took you guys so long?” she said.

Immediately the two fillies could tell something was wrong. “You okay, Apple Bloom? You don’t look so good,” said Scootaloo. She exchanged a look with Sweetie Belle.

“I’m fine! Just come on up,” said Apple Bloom. She got down from the window and paced until the two made their way inside.

“Okay, Apple Bloom: what’s bothering you?” asked Sweetie Belle.

Apple Bloom hesitated, then said, “I…saw somethin' scary in my room last night.”

The other two fillies’ eyes grew large and Scootaloo said, “‘Something?’ What was it?”

Tears welled up with the memory and she answered, “It was black…and it…it hissed at me, then ran in my closet!”

Sweetie Belle covered her own mouth with a hoof. “That’s horrible! What did your sister do?”

Apple Bloom frowned. “She didn’t believe me. Neither did my brother.”

“What about Granny?” asked Scootaloo.

Apple Bloom hesitated again. While she loved her grandmother, there were times like these she was still a bit embarrassed by her. Mentioning that old toy wouldn’t do any good. “She…said she believed me.”

“Did she say she was going to help you?”

“Not…really.”

“So what are you going to do, Apple Bloom? I think we should tell Twilight.”

Apple Bloom shook her head. “Granny says Twilight can’t help with this.”

“How does she know?” said Sweetie Belle. “You just said she didn’t really help you.”

Apple Bloom quietly stared at the floor. After a few moments, she said, “You’re right. Maybe Twilight can help. Let’s go see her.”

With that, they all ran outside and took Scootaloo’s scooter to the Friendship Castle. The crystal building glistened in the afternoon sunlight as they approached it. Though there weren't many trees in Ponyville proper, still some autumn leaves crunched under the scooter's wheels as they zipped along.

Soon, they were at the huge front door and started knocking on it. After a few minutes, they heard, “Alright, don’t break it down! I’m coming!” The door opened and there stood Spike, looking rather wet with a towel wrapped around his waist. The unicorn and the pegasus giggled. Apple Bloom kept a straight face.

“Ha, ha, very funny,” said Spike. “This better be important.”

The fillies sobered up and remembered why they were there. “Is Twilight around?” asked Apple Bloom. “I got somethin' I need to talk to her about.”

“Yeah, sure. Come on in.” He stood back and let them enter. They couldn’t help but notice a trail of puddles leading away from the door, and Scootlaloo and Sweetie had to stifle their giggles once again.

“Follow me,” he said. Soon, they all found themselves in the Library, where Twilight was engrossed in a huge tome.

“Twilight,” said Spike.

“Mm Hmm?” said Twilight. She didn’t look up.

“Twilight!” yelled Spike.

“What?!” cried Twilight as she finally tore herself away from the book. “Oh! Sorry girls, I didn’t see you there.” Then she noticed the dragon.

“Spike, were you taking a bubble bath again?”

Spike blushed. “Maybe…”

Twilight shook her head and let the matter drop. “What can I do for you girls?”

“There’s a monster in Apple Bloom’s room!” blurted out Sweetie Belle. Apple Bloom’s face turned as red as her mane as she glared at her friend.

“I wanted to tell her!”

Sweetie Belle now turned red as well. “Oops. Sorry.”

Twilight regarded the fillies, while Spike made himself busy drying off, then going to get a mop for the puddles.

“Really, girls? A monster?” said Twilight.

Apple Bloom picked up on her tone and said, “Yes, Twilight! Somethin' was in my room last night and I think it’s still there!” Twilight sighed.

“Alright, tell me everything that happened.”

Apple Bloom drew a deep breath and started from the beginning. Her friend’s eyes grew wide as they listened. But when she’d finished, Twilight’s expression remained unchanged.

“I’ve never heard of any such creature, Apple Bloom. Are you sure you weren’t having a nightmare?”

Apple Bloom stomped her hoof. “That’s just what Applejack and Big Mac said! It’s not helping!”

Twilight frowned. “I’m sorry, Apple Bloom, but I need more data before I can formulate a hypothesis. I can come by tomorrow night if that’s okay?”

Apple Bloom’s ears drooped as she looked at her. “But…what about tonight?”

Twilight shook her head. “I have a paper I have to finish writing by tonight, or else I would. I’m sorry.”

There was a collective, “aww,” from the fillies, but then Apple Bloom said, “That’s alright Twilight. I understand. Come on, girls.”

Once they’d made it outside, Scootaloo turned to her friend and said, “What are you going to do, Apple Bloom?” But she didn’t answer, she just put her head down and started walking in the direction of home.

“Apple Bloom, wait!” began Scootaloo, but Sweetie held her back.

“Let her go, Scootaloo. There’s nothing we can do to help.” They sadly watched her go.

All too soon, Apple Bloom found herself at home. The afternoon sun shone brightly through the trees, a sight that she would normally welcome. But now, it only filled her with dread, as it meant that night time would soon be here, and she’d have to be in her room.

Alone.

Apple Bloom hardly spoke through dinner. She kept glancing at the stairs that led up to her bedroom and sighing. The rest of the family noticed.

“What’s wrong, sugarcube?”

Apple Bloom mumbled something while pushing the food around on her plate.

Applejack sighed. “Is that nightmare still bothering you?”

“It weren’t no nightmare,” she whispered.

Granny smiled. “You’ll have sweet dreams tonight, child. Don’t fret.”

Apple Bloom looked up at her then sighed again. “Yes’m, Granny.”

Big Mac added, “It’ll be okay, sis.”

Applejack stood. “C’mon, honey. Time to brush your teeth and get to bed.”

Her eyes grew wide. “Already?! But…but can’t I stay up late?”

“You got school in the morning. Let’s go; I’ll read you that bedtime story you like.”

Her ears splayed back, the filly trudged up the stairs to the bathroom. She took as long she could brushing her teeth until they felt raw. Finally, there was no more putting it off.

She went to her room and stood in the doorway. Everything seemed normal again and everything was in its place, including the bear she’d left on her bed earlier. She first went to the closet and listened, her heart beating loudly in her ears. But after a few moments of hearing nothing, she checked to make sure it was locked, then climbed into bed. She moved the teddy bear to one side, then got under her covers and pulled them up to her chin. Applejack soon followed.

She sat on the edge of her bed and opened the book. Just as she was about to start reading, she saw something out of the corner of her eye.

“Apple Bloom,” said she, “where did you get that?”

Apple Bloom looked at the teddy. “This? Granny gave it to me. Why, is something wrong?”

Applejack looked troubled, but shook her head and said, “No, everything’s fine.” She cleared her throat. “Once upon a time…”

After the tale, she tucked her sister in and gave her another peck on the cheek. “Good night, sweetie.” She gave one last long look at the teddy bear, then turned out the light and left the room, closing the door softly behind her.

Apple Bloom lay there listening. Every little sound was magnified in her ears and she didn’t think she’d get any rest. But somehow she did finally fall asleep.

Until a few minutes past three.

Apple Bloom’s eyes snapped open. Something was quietly moving about in her room and she could just make out its breathing. Her heart began beating rapidly as a cold sweat broke out on her. She started to sit up and look around, but then shut her eyes tight and pulled the covers over her head. Then several things happened at once.

She felt something pulling at the foot of her covers, softly at first, then with more force. Then she heard a hiss. She could feel a scream building up inside her, but before she released it, she heard a new sound.

It was a growl.

All of a sudden she felt something spring from her side and run across her bed. There was a scuffle and the hissing got louder. She kept her eyes tightly shut as she listened to what sounded like a fight. Then all was silent.

She started to come out from under her covers, but then she heard her bedroom door quietly open…then shut. She stayed underneath for what seemed like hours, not daring to move.

The next thing she knew, it was morning. She sat up and looked around. Again, everything seemed to be in place, but the teddy bear was gone. She got up and went to her closet and listened. Nothing. Cautiously, she opened it. Again, nothing. But her room felt somehow cleaner and that feeling of dread was gone.

“Apple Bloom!” Applejack called. “Come on down to breakfast!”

She hurriedly came down the stairs, where her whole family was seated.

As she took her place, she looked at Granny.

“Everythin’ fine, young un?”

For the first time, Apple Bloom felt like smiling.

“Yes, Granny. Everythin’s fine.”