• Published 15th Sep 2016
  • 11,197 Views, 442 Comments

Spot That Changeling - Inspector Brown



Thorax and the Mane Six play a game where they try to figure out which of them is a changeling in disguise.

  • ...
20
 442
 11,197

Round 6

Hearing that Thorax had changed his strategy at the last minute really rattled Twilight’s train of thought. Her changeling-finding strategy depended on predicting his choices. But clearly, that wasn’t going to work anymore. What’s worse, Thorax was only getting better at mimicking her friends. If she didn’t step up her game to match his, he’d bowl them over without breaking a sweat. But Twilight had no idea how to do that, so she ended up doing what she usually did in a crisis. She panicked.

“Ready, set, Spot That Changeling!”

Twilight opened her eyes. She felt like she had to say something, anything to start the conversation. But she couldn’t think of anything to say, other than “We have to win this round,” which would not have helped the situation at all. She started shifting her weight in her chair back and forth, and took short shallow breaths through her nose.

“You all right there, sugar cube?” Applejack asked.

“No. No, I’m not,” Twilight confessed. “I don’t have a strategy anymore. I thought I could predict Thorax’s plan, but if he can suddenly change it at the last minute, then I don’t know what to expect anymore!”

“I know,” Applejack said. “But it’s okay. If guesswork didn’t help, we can always fall back on asking everypony directly. It’s not completely hopeless. Thorax is getting better at fooling us, but he’s bound to slip up sooner or later. Don’t give up, we can still win this.”

Twilight slowed her breathing down. “You’re right. Whether you’re Applejack, or Thorax pretending to be Applejack, you’re right. Besides, even if we lose, it’s not that big a deal. It’s just a game, after all.”

“That’s right,” Applejack said. “Now, let me pose a question to y’all. We know that one of Thorax’s tactics is reaching out to somepony else with kindness and helpful advice. So, does anypony suspect that I’m the changeling because of what I just said to Twilight?”

“It sounded pretty convincing to me,” said Rainbow Dash. “I’m pretty sure you’re really Applejack, but I’m not ruling out the possibility that you might still be Thorax.”

“Well, I was going to answer,” Fluttershy said, “but Rainbow already said exactly what I was thinking.”

“Right now, I’m more suspicious of Twilight than I am of AJ,” said Pinkie Pie. “Thorax let me sit out and catch my breath when he saw me getting flustered. Now, Twilight’s the one who’s flustered, so I think he’d do the same for her.”

“You make a valid point, Pinkie,” said Twilight, “but I am not the changeling. And, to answer Applejack’s question, I do not suspect her. I haven’t ruled her out yet, but at this point, I’m more willing to believe it’s somepony else.”

“Well,” Rarity finally spoke, “I believe both Twilight and Applejack are genuine. Currently, my suspicion lies with Rainbow Dash.”

“Excuse me?” Rainbow said, putting her hooves on the table. Almost as soon as she had her outburst, she backpedaled. “I mean, that accusation came out of nowhere. I’d like to hear your reasoning.”

“Simple, darling,” Rarity said. “I believe Thorax is trying to score another easy point this round. If he does, he’ll have three whole rounds to experiment with the kind of risky tactics we ruled out in the previous round. And since he won a round by impersonating you, I think he chose you again.”

“I’ll admit, you make a good point,” Rainbow Dash said. “However, I have a hunch that Thorax really wants to get practice impersonating each of the six of us at least once. He only doubled back to Pinkie in the last round because he knew we’d expect him to pick someone new. Now, I think he has chosen a new victim. Specifically, I think he chose you, Rarity.”

“Oh, pf, chk, tth,” Rarity scoffed. “You’re just accusing me because I accused you, and you want to make an easy target out of me!”

“I don’t know if I agree,” Applejack said. “Thorax did say he wanted to get good at impersonating all of us. He’s up by a point on the scoreboard, so the best time to pick a new target would be now. And since I know I’m not the changeling, that leaves only you.”

Rarity gasped, as if she were scandalized. “Darling, you cannot be serious! Surely, you see what Rainbow is trying to do, right?”

“All I heard was Rainbow Dash explaining her reasons for suspecting you,” Applejack said. “And I happen to agree with her.”

“Rarity, are you at least willing to admit that Rainbow has a valid point?” Twilight asked.

“Pf, chk, tth,” Rarity scoffed again, “Rainbow’s just trying to confuse the issue, by bringing up irrelevant details.”

“I believe you, Rarity,” said Pinkie Pie. “Rainbow did say it was just a hunch, after all.”

“This is a game of instinct and intuition, Pinkie,” Rainbow defended. “Hunches are the only things we have to go on!”

“That’s right!” Fluttershy said. “Your case against Rainbow Dash is just as hunch-based as her case against you, Rarity! What makes you think your hunch is better than hers?”

“Darling, I do not believe Rainbow’s case, as you call it, is based on anything other than a desperate need to cast suspicion on an innocent pony.”

“I’m sorry, but I just don’t get that feeling from Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said. “Let me ask. Rarity, are you the changeling?”

“Oh, pf, chk, tth, I most certainly am not!” she said.

“Yeah, no, not convinced.” Twilight put her hoof up. “I’m voting Rarity.” Rainbow Dash quickly added her hoof to Twilight’s. Applejack’s wasn’t far behind. Fluttershy almost put her hoof up, but held back.

“Wait, are we sure it’s Rarity?” she asked. “I don’t want to make another mistake.”

“Doesn’t the way Rarity’s been talking seem a little bit…I don’t know…forced?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t think so,” Fluttershy said. “Everything she’s said so far has been what I expect from her.”

“Yes, but not that frequently,” Applejack said. “It’s like she can’t help but say everything in an over-the-top, admittedly Rarity-esque manner. And it comes across as an act.”

“Well, what do you expect of me?” Rarity said, half-screaming. “You’re saying you think I’m the changeling because I talk the way I always talk? What kind of sense does that make?”

“That’s not what I said at all,” Applejack countered. “The way you’ve been talking is not how you usually talk. It sounds more like a bad parody of how you talk.”

“Oh, pf, chk, tth, you’re exaggerating!” Rarity waved Applejack off.

“Like that!” Rainbow Dash quickly said. “That’s the fourth time you’ve scoffed since the round started. I’ve never heard you do that more than once in the span of a half-hour!”

Rarity’s eyes widened. She quickly looked at the three accusing hooves still pointed in her direction. She turned to Fluttershy. “Fluttershy, darling, you can’t think that these ponies are serious, can you?”

“I…I…” Fluttershy stammered. “I don’t know what to think!”

“I do,” Pinkie Pie said, and she pointed her hoof at Rarity. “I’m voting Rarity, and that’s four.”

“Oh, horse apples,” Rarity blurted.

Rainbow Dash burst out laughing. Applejack and Twilight snickered to themselves. Pinkie started laughing too. Even Spike chuckled at that.

“Well,” Spike said, coughing a little to regain his composure, “I’d say it’s time to reveal the truth, but at this point, I think it’s just a formality.” Spike opened up the doors, and allowed Rarity to enter, and find her throne.

“There, there, Thorax,” Rarity cooed. “I’d say you did a splendid job, for a first time. If you could learn to be a little more subdued, I think you might actually pull it off. And I could certainly use a body double for when I need to travel to my other boutiques.”

“Hurmph,” groused Thorax, before he dropped his glamour. “I doubt it. A pony like you has a natural poise and elegance that is almost impossible for a changeling to do justice.”

Rarity chuckled demurely. “Oh, stop it, you. You’re embarrassing me! But, do go on.”

“A-HEM!” Spike loudly cleared his throat right in Rarity’s and Thorax’s ears. He narrowed his eyes at the two of them.

“Spikey-poo, there’s no need to be jealous,” Rarity said, as she resumed her place at the table. “It was just a polite conversation, and nothing more.”

“Yeah, I’m really sure,” Spike said, with a slight edge to his tone. “In any event, the ponies win this round, and we are tied once again, three-all. Time to make the hooftaps, ladies. The next round starts shortly.”