• Published 15th Sep 2016
  • 11,189 Views, 442 Comments

Spot That Changeling - Inspector Brown



Thorax and the Mane Six play a game where they try to figure out which of them is a changeling in disguise.

  • ...
20
 442
 11,189

Round 3

Twilight chided herself. Even while Thorax was accusing her, she still believed he was really Rainbow Dash, and still tried to dissuade him when she should have been trying to dissuade her friends. She remembered that nopony really challenged Rainbow; nopony made her answer the all-important question. That’s because she was being helpful to Pinkie Pie, Twilight realized. She hated the idea of doubting her friends, but that was the nature of the game. And it was her idea to play this game in the first place. While her eyes were closed, she resolved that she would question every word that came from anypony’s mouth. She wasn’t going to be tricked again.

“Ready, set, Spot That Changeling!”

Twilight popped her eyes open, then narrowed them. She shifted her eyes, analyzing her friends with great suspicion. Thorax was hiding from her, in plain sight. Nopony had broken the silence yet, so Twilight decided she would.

“Let’s be methodical about this,” she said, as she turned to face Applejack. “Are you the changeling?”

“No, I’m not,” was Applejack’s answer. Twilight immediately turned to Rarity and asked the same question.

“I am not the changeling,” answered Rarity.

“Not me,” answered Pinkie Pie.

“I am not the changeling,” answered Fluttershy.

“No way, not this time,” answered Rainbow Dash.

“Your turn now,” Applejack was quick to say. “Twilight, are you the changeling?”

“I am not,” Twilight answered.

Silence followed for a few moments.

“Well,” Pinkie Pie broke the silence again, “that didn’t do anything. You all sound so sincere!”

“Sincerity can be faked, Pinkie,” Twilight said. “And everypony here knows that somepony is lying.”

“That much is obvious, darling,” Rarity said. “Saying it now doesn’t help either.”

Twilight whipped her head in Rarity’s direction. “I know that. You know what would help? If somepony said they suspected somepony else! We need to get a discussion started!”

“Twilight, calm down,” Rainbow said. “Getting upset like this is what got you in trouble last round, remember?”

Whether Rainbow actually was Rainbow or not, she was right. Twilight put a hoof to her chest and inhaled. Then she pushed it away from herself as she exhaled. That helped to clear her head. She turned and narrowed her eyes at Rainbow.

“Wait a minute, the real Rainbow Dash was out in the hallway last round,” Twilight said. “If you are the real Rainbow as you claim, how could you possibly know about what happened in the last round?”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “The door isn’t soundproof, Twi. I could hear everything.”

“Why don’t I believe you?” Twilight said.

“Okay, as the moderator, I probably shouldn’t do this,” Spike interrupted, “but I feel like this line of questioning goes against the spirit of this exercise. Stand by.” He walked over to the door. “Attention, pony who is currently in the hallway. Please, do not speak, but if you can hear what’s being said in this room, please knock on the door three times now.”

Three quick knocks immediately followed that statement.

“There, you see? All seven of you can always hear everything that happens in each round.”

Twilight huffed in embarrassment. “I’m sorry, but you have to admit, it’s hard not to be paranoid when you’re playing a game that involves doubting your friends.”

“I understand where you’re coming from,” Applejack said. “In fact, I’m still not sure who to trust. Maybe I should start asking around. Twilight, are you the changeling?”

“Uh-uh,” Twilight said.

“Do you think that I’m the changeling?”

“I’m not sure at all,” Twilight said, her ears drooping as she looked away from the rest of the group.

“I believe you, Twilight,” Applejack said. “Rarity, are you the changeling?”

“I am not,” said Rarity.

“Do you think that Twilight is the changeling?”

“Not this time, no.”

“Pinkie Pie, are you the changeling?”

Pinkie Pie sighed. “I’m getting really tired of saying I’m not the changeling.”

“Who do you think is the changeling?” Applejack asked.

“Well, I know it’s not me,” Pinkie answered, “and I’m pretty sure it’s not Twilight. But everypony else is equally suspect.”

“I have something to say,” Fluttershy said. “Applejack, I want you to know that I’ve noticed two things about you. First, the way you’ve helped Twilight overcome her misgivings about this round is really sweet.”

“Thank you, Fluttershy,” said Applejack. “But, uh, what’s the second thing?”

“The second thing I noticed is that you’re doing the exact same thing Thorax did in the last round. By endearing yourself to somepony who is flustered, you are casting suspicion off yourself.”

Applejack tilted her head. “I don’t think I like what you’re insinuating, Fluttershy.”

“Very well then, I’ll speak plainly. Applejack, are you the changeling?”

“I am not the changeling,” Applejack said, a bit louder than usual. “And another thing, it would be plum ridiculous for Thorax to try and use the same tactic two rounds in a row. I reckon he’s going to try something else.” Applejack paused, and looked away. “Like waiting for somepony to be kind to somepony else and then accusing that pony instead!”

Fluttershy scoffed. “Oh, is that how it is? Do you really think I’m the changeling? Or, are you just lashing out at me because I accused you?”

“Honestly, your flippant attitude is rather unlike you, Fluttershy,” said Applejack. “I am starting to suspect that you are the changeling.”

Fluttershy’s eyes shifted nervously. “I…I guess I’m still a little on edge about the last round. You have to understand, I really felt betrayed.”

Applejack snorted, “Nice try, but you can’t un-say what you already said, Thorax.”

“Okay, so I made a mistake,” Fluttershy said. “Twilight made a huge mistake in the last round, and we all thought she was the changeling for it. And we were wrong!”

“That barrel of cider’s been in the sun for a week,” Applejack shot back, “and I ain’t buying it!”

Fluttershy scanned the eyes of the ponies at the table. “I’m not the changeling! Please, doesn’t anypony believe me?”

“I believe you,” said Rainbow Dash. “Applejack is the changeling!” She pointed her hoof to Applejack.

“No, Fluttershy is!” Applejack shot back, pointing her own hoof at Fluttershy. Fluttershy pointed her hoof right back at Applejack.

“I believe Applejack’s argument sounded much more like something Applejack would say,” said Rarity. “And I am convinced that Fluttershy is the changeling.” She added her hoof to Applejack’s.

Pinkie looked across the table at Twilight. Pinkie’s wide eyes and flattened mouth told Twilight that they were both thinking the same thing. They had to vote, and the two of them had to vote the same way, but neither of them knew who the changeling was.

“Twilight, who do you believe?” Pinkie stage-whispered.

Going on pure gut instinct, Twilight would have chosen Fluttershy as the changeling. It made her proud that Fluttershy was being more assertive. However, her defense of her own actions was a little too assertive to be, well, Fluttershy. But Twilight wasn’t sure she could trust her gut response. After all, Thorax could easily manipulate her gut feelings to fool her. That’s what changelings do best, after all.

“I don’t know,” Twilight admitted. “Who do you believe?”

Pinkie Pie looked back and forth between Applejack and Fluttershy. Then, she bowed her head and closed her eyes. “I believe Fluttershy. Applejack is the changeling.” Pinkie stuck her hoof out.

“That’s three votes for Applejack,” Spike announced. “We need one more to end the round.”

“Come on, Twilight,” Rainbow said. “Put your hoof up already.”

Even though Twilight was certain Rainbow wasn’t the changeling, she still didn’t believe her when she said Applejack was. So, she decided to stand her ground.

“I’m sorry, but I am not convinced Applejack is the changeling. My vote is for Fluttershy.” She pointed her hoof in Fluttershy’s direction.

Pinkie Pie exhaled loudly. “I only put my hoof up because Twilight wanted me to go first. But, I trust her judgement on this matter. I’m voting Fluttershy now.” Pinkie moved her hoof.

“What?” Rainbow Dash said. “Can she do that? Change her vote on a whim?”

“I’ll allow it,” said Spike. “That’s four votes on Fluttershy, this round is finished. Now, we shall see if you ponies chose poorly, or wisely.”

Spike walked back over to the doors and opened them. Fluttershy was waiting in the hall.

“You have chosen…wisely,” Fluttershy said with a smile.

Twilight cheered her victory. She was quickly joined by Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie. Thorax (still in his Fluttershy glamour) sat and pouted. The real Fluttershy came up to him.

“Don’t get too upset,” Fluttershy told him. “It’s just one round after all.”

Thorax grimaced before dropping his glamour. “But I had this one!” he complained. “I thought by impersonating Fluttershy specifically, I could get away with staying quiet. Then I could cast shade on the first pony to do something nice, and get you all to vote for her instead of me. It was the perfect plan!”

“You came on a little too strong,” Applejack said. “That’s why I suspected you in the first place.”

“I guess it wasn’t the perfect plan,” Thorax sighed. “But think I understand what I did wrong.”

Thorax hopped down and took his position by Spike. Fluttershy resumed her position on her throne.

“The ponies win this round, and now lead two-one, still playing to five. Next round, so go on, and do the thing, with the thing, from the thing. Did I say ‘thing’, I don’t think I said ‘thing’, THING!”