• Published 15th Sep 2016
  • 11,208 Views, 442 Comments

Spot That Changeling - Inspector Brown



Thorax and the Mane Six play a game where they try to figure out which of them is a changeling in disguise.

  • ...
20
 442
 11,208

Round 2

Even before Spike signaled the start of the next round, Twilight started thinking. There would be nine rounds of this game at most, and there were only six of them. So at some point, Thorax would have to mimic the same pony twice. It was unlikely that Thorax would try to impersonate Pinkie Pie again immediately afterward. After all, he’d need to see what the real Pinkie acts like in order to mimic her again. This narrowed her suspects down to four. Hopefully, her friends would think the same thing. Pinkie Pie herself would be at a disadvantage, however. She’d need extra help. Hopefully, Twilight could get Pinkie to trust her.

“Ready, set, Spot That Changeling!”

Twilight opened her eyes, and was greeting by the same five familiar faces. She felt herself relax a little bit, before remembering that one of them was still Thorax in disguise.

“All right, y’all,” Applejack started, “I don’t think Thorax would pick Pinkie Pie twice in a row, but just to be certain…Pinkie Pie, are you the changeling?”

“Absotively, posilutely not!” said Pinkie Pie.

“Do you think that I’m the changeling?”

“I have no idea!” Pinkie said cheerfully.

“Well, who do you think is the changeling?” Twilight asked.

The smile ran away from Pinkie Pie’s face. “I don’t know, you ponies all look just like yourselves. None of you look like Thorax.”

“Pinkie, darling, I think you’re missing the point,” Rarity said. “We must find out who Thorax is by seeing which of us is not acting like herself, you see.”

“Um, how do we do that?” Pinkie stage-whispered to Rarity.

“Like this,” Rainbow Dash said. “Rarity, are you the changeling?”

“Oh, pf, chk, tth, this again?” Rarity waved Rainbow off. Then she put her hoof down. “No, I am not.”

“Do you think that I am the changeling?”

“Maybe.”

“Okay, Pinkie,” said Rainbow Dash, “do Rarity’s answers sound genuine, or does she sound like a phony?”

“Dunno,” Pinkie said. “She does usually talk in that way.”

“There you go,” Rainbow said. “You’re getting the hang of things.”

Twilight smiled. Pinkie didn’t need her guidance, she had Rainbow Dash to help her out. That meant she could focus her attention on finding Thorax.

“Say, Fluttershy,” Twilight said, “are you still upset about us calling Thorax ‘the changeling?’”

“A little bit,” Fluttershy said, “but Thorax himself said he was okay with it, so I guess it’s not that big a deal.”

“That’s good to hear. On a related note, are you the changeling?”

“No, I am not.”

“Do you think that I’m the changeling?”

“You might be. I’m not really sure though.”

“Do you think it’s possible that Thorax chose the same pony twice in a row?”

Fluttershy’s eyes shifted. “Anything’s possible, I suppose. But I don’t think he did.”

“Okay, so who hasn’t been challenged yet?” Rainbow spoke up. “Applejack, are you the changeling?”

“I am not the changeling,” Applejack said.

“Do you think that I am the changeling?”

“To be honest with myself, I must say you could be. But to be honest with you, I don’t believe you are.”

“If not me, then who?”

Applejack did not answer right away. She brought her forehooves to her face and scanned the rest of her friends. “Has anypony noticed how uncharacteristically quiet Twilight has been?”

“I’ve been thinking, if you don’t mind,” Twilight said defensively.

“You know, Thorax did say he wouldn’t mistakenly address Twilight by her title,” Rainbow postulated. “He might have decided to impersonate her, just to make sure he wouldn’t.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Twilight blurted out. The words were out of her mouth before she could catch them. She knew it wasn’t ridiculous, it was actually a pretty good idea. But it was too late now.

“Is that what you think?” Applejack said. “Twilight, are you the changeling?”

Twilight inhaled sharply. “I am not the changeling.”

“Who do you think is the changeling?” That was not the question Twilight was expecting.

“I suppose it could be anypony,” Twilight admitted with a sigh.

“Do you not have a strong suspicion?” Rainbow asked.

“Not right now, but I might get to develop one if we keep talking.”

“I am not sure I believe you, Twilight,” Rainbow Dash said flatly.

“Rainbow, I am telling you the truth,” Twilight said, with as much authority and dignity as she could muster. She had to dissuade Rainbow Dash from believing she was the changeling. If the rest of her friends starting listening to Rainbow, they’d vote for her, which meant they would lose this round.

“So, who else hasn’t been questioned?” Rarity piped up. “Applejack, are you the changeling?”

“Nope.”

“Do you think that I’m the changeling?”

“You might be, but I have a stronger suspicion.”

“Who do you suspect?”

“Given Twilight’s overreaction to being suspected, I really think it’s her.”

“I was not over-reacting!” Twilight protested. “I was explaining to Rainbow Dash why you shouldn’t suspect me!”

“Twilight, darling,” Rarity began, “you know as well as I do that it does not do anypony any good to take offense to being doubted in this situation. At least, the real Twilight Sparkle knows that.”

“Et tu, Rarity?” Twilight said, glaring at her. “Sweet Celestia, isn’t there anypony here who trusts me?”

“Well, one of us is a changeling,” Rainbow said, “so you can’t really trust anypony. The real Twilight would understand that. I’m convinced it’s Twilight.” Rainbow pointed a hoof in her direction.

“Same,” Rarity said, adding her hoof to Rainbow’s.

“I agree with Rainbow Dash,” said Applejack, pointing a hoof.

Fluttershy put her hoof up as well. “I’m sorry, Thorax, but Rainbow makes a very convincing argument.”

“I’m not Thorax!” Twilight insisted.

“That’s four votes for Twilight,” Spike said. “This round is over. It’s time to separate the ponies from the impostor.”

Spike opened the double doors, and revealed Rainbow Dash waiting in the hall. Rarity, Applejack, and Fluttershy all gasped at the sight. The Rainbow Dash seated at the table (who was really Thorax in glamour) beamed in triumph.

“See! See?” Twilight shouted. “I told you I wasn’t the changeling, but nopony believed me!”

“I believed you, Twilight!” Pinkie Pie said. “I saw your wings flutter while you were getting upset. Thorax wouldn’t have thought to do that.”

“Then why didn’t you say anything?” Applejack asked.

“I thought we weren’t supposed to bring up personal stuff.”

“But it might have convinced us that Twilight wasn’t the changeling,” Rarity pointed out.

As Thorax dropped his glamour, Fluttershy turned to him with tears in her eyes. “How could you?”

“Calm down, Fluttershy, it’s just a game,” Thorax said. “I had to make you believe somepony else was the changeling, and I did. I never wanted to hurt you.”

Fluttershy huffed. “I know, you’re right. I guess I was just really upset, because you were impersonating one of my closest friends, and you tricked me.”

“It’s okay,” Thorax said. “It’s just one round. You’ll learn from this, and do better in the next game, okay?”

Fluttershy wiped her eyes and sat up straight in her throne. “All right, I’m game.”

“Hey, Bug Face,” said Rainbow Dash as she trotted up behind Thorax. “You’re in my chair.”

Thorax stepped down. “I didn’t mind being called ‘the changeling’, but that is crossing the line.”

“Thorax wins this round,” Spike announced, “and we are tied, one-all. Round three begins, you ponies know the drill by now.”