• Published 15th Sep 2016
  • 4,143 Views, 120 Comments

Not the Enemy - TheAnimerican



Titanium is a new recruit in the Royal Guard and things already become interesting. A Changeling attack? Or a misunderstanding?

  • ...
7
 120
 4,143

Titanium

"Titanium! Get on your patrol!"

"Yes captain!"

When I joined the Royal Guard, I was expecting more action. I guess I shouldn't have had my expectations up so high.

It's kind of funny actually. When I was little, all I would think about was how cool it would be to wear that Royal Guard armor. To be able to be so close to Princess Celestia was my dream. I remember being with my parents during a parade. The parade was to celebrate Princess Celestia coming back from a successful diplomatic mission with Saddle Arabia. The guards escorting her, so disciplined, ready to protect our princess. I knew right then and there, that I would become a Royal Guard.

I trained hard and studied nearly all day and night to pass the entrance exam. When I passed the exam, I was actually offered to join the Wonderbolts. As amazing as they were, I felt like they were more for show than actual military. I still remember that time a large dragon was attacking Ponyville and somepony said the dragon trapped them to a side of a mountain. Also, there was the time three of them were saving a unicorn from falling off Cloudsdale. In the end, all three of them, THE THREE OF THEM, were knocked unconscious. What the hay was going on there?

I'm going off topic, I eventually went through the Royal Guard training. I gotta tell you, the training was difficult and I can see how they maintained their discipline. They have specific training for the Earth Ponies, the Unicorns, and the Pegasi. The Earth Ponies were trained with weaponry and hoof-to-hoof combat; the Unicorns are trained for powerful offense and defense spells; the Pegasi are mainly trained for aerial support, but are also taught hoof-to-hoof combat. When I swore my oath and received my armor, I was ready for anything life could throw at me...boredom was not one of them.

So far, I have just been patrolling the skies of Canterlot. Whenever we are needed, we assist the civilians and pony officers. After my patrols, I head back to HQ and write my reports. Eventually, this just became a daily cycle of my life. The training was suppose to prevent me from feeling this way, but I suppose they can never truly change you.

Today though, this is cliché of me to say, something happened to change my life.

I was off patrolling as usual. Instead of patrolling all of Canterlot though, they had me patrol the castle and inspect the structure. Inspecting the structure, I have to be sure everything is secure and nothing seems suspicious. The day was almost over and so was my patrol. I proceeded to Star Swirl the Bearded Wing, but then I noticed something at one of the nearby towers. I saw a female pony on the balcony. Normally I would pay no mind, but it was suspicious that she was near Princess Celestia's Wing and she was not wearing the normal maid uniform. If she was not one of the staff, then how did she get pass the guards? I decided to fly to the balcony and question her.

"Excuse me."

The pony was startled. Getting a closer look of her, she was a blue pony with a black mane. Her black mane was straight, covered one of her eyes and she was a Pegasus like me.

"I'm sorry to have disturbed you, but I do not recognize you. May I ask who you are?"

She looked so frightened. Why? Did I startle her that much? I was pretty sure that she noticed my armor to know I am part of the Royal Guard. Why would she be scared of me?

"Umm, Miss?"

I should have known something was not right. I flew closer to her and her pupils became constricted. After this, a pink fire overcame her. At first I was shocked at what caused the fire, but something else appeared in her place. After the smoke cleared away, I was able to see that it was a changeling. A changeling? Here in Canterlot?

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to assess the situation. The changeling flew off, trying to escape from me. I quickly shouted to my fellow guards, "Changeling! We have a changeling on the premises!" Immediately, I was joined by more pegasus guards. Unicorns formed a circle around the castle and with their combined magic, they began to create a large dome to prevent any sort of intruders from escaping.

I would have thought that if any intruder was in this situation, they would immediately surrender. However, this changeling was observant and noticed the eye of the storm. The barrier is not completely formed and there is still an opening to the top of the would-be dome. With all her speed and might, we made our way to the top. The closer we got to the top, the smaller the opening was getting. Most of the pegasi that were with me gave up the chase. Only I and a couple other guards were still after her; assuming that this changeling was a female. After a long climb up, she and I made our way out of the dome. Unfortunately, my fellow guards did not make it. Instead, I heard a large crash behind me. While flying, I took a glimpse behind me, the guards who had followed me were unconscious and were falling. I was relieved after seeing them caught in mid-air by other guards. The chase was all up to me.

Flying after her, we were flying through the streets of Canterlot. This chase was much more difficult than the training courses. I was constantly avoiding innocent bystanders and hoping I don't hit any objects along the way. Soon, she flew out of the crowd and out of the parameters of Canterlot to a nearby forest.

Trying to lose me in the trees, I continued my pursuit. Fortunately, some of our training courses took place in this forest. I knew this forest like the back of my hoof, but I have never flown at high speed between the trees. Slowly I began to catch up to her; slowly I can clearly hear the flapping of her bug like wings. Eventually, I was flying right over her. Not once did she look back or look up to see if she was in the clear. Before she tried anything, I took a chance to stop her. With my helmet, I threw it on her right wing, causing her to lose control and crash into one of the trees. I turned around and made my way to the "crash" site.