• Published 15th Sep 2016
  • 3,752 Views, 54 Comments

Queen Chrysalis, Relationship Counselor - Penalt



Trying to find a way to feed her hive, Queen Chrysalis goes into the business of restoring lost loves, friendships and relationships.

  • ...
8
 54
 3,752

Chapter 1: Setting up

Noon, Late Spring
The Crystal Empire
Royal Audience Chamber



“...and if that concludes the petitions for today,” Princess Cadence announced, “I think we can end co-”. The pink alicorn suddenly was interrupted by a large commotion at the entryway to the audience chamber. Cadence frowned at the kerfuffle and rose up to try to see the cause of the commotion. Nothing could have taken her more by surprise than what she saw as the doors opened.

In the doorway stood the Queen of the Changelings herself, Chrysalis. She was shackled, her wings bound and a magic blocker on her horn. Four guards held leveled spears within a few inches of her body. None of which did a thing to diminish her presence, her sense of purpose or her majesty.

“Seize -”, Shining Armor began to command to his guards. Then he realized that the changeling queen was most definitely already ‘seized’. “So,” he amended trying to keep smugness from his voice, “my troops have finally captured you for your crimes.”

“Prince Armor, you are no longer under my magic,” said Chrysalis laughingly, “you should not still be that stupid. No, no, no. I landed before your guards and asked them to do this to me.”

“Why?” asked Cadence from her throne. “For what possible reason would you willingly allow yourself to be captured and put yourself at our mercy?”

“For the same reason I took your place, ensorcelled your husband and invaded Canterlot. My hive needs me to do it, my drones are hungry. This is the day the Crystal Throne hears petitions,” said the Chrysalis as she then shook a hoof. The attached chains clinking. “All this is to make you feel safe.”

And then Queen Chrysalis, ruler of the Changelings, she who had defeated Celestia herself through main strength, the very definition of pride and arrogant strength, did something that no one would ever have imagined her doing.

She knelt, and began to speak in a humble voice, “O Crystal Princess, I come before you as a lowly petitioner on behalf of many. I have delivered myself into your power. Will you hear my petition?”

Cadence thought carefully. Chrysalis seemed sincere. But she was a master of deception. However, she was also a monarch and everything Cadence had ever seen or read about Chrysalis indicated that she knew well the burden of rulership. She looked over at her husband, her brave prince who had suffered so much at the changeling queen’s hooves. He looked back into her eyes.

There are many advantages to joining your own life with that of another. Among which is the ability communicate with just a look. It isn’t telepathy. It’s more of a knowing what that other half of your soul will say in a given situation and acting accordingly. Shining read his wife’s intent with a single glance and nodded with a slight smile. He knew what Cadence was about to ask Chrysalis.

“Your Majesty, I will hear your petition on the condition that you agree to be my Guest while you are within the Crystal Empire,” said Cadence as she verbally capitalized the noun.

It was Chrysalis’ turn to consider for a moment. There were particular obligations between host and guest. Ancient compacts that were practically holy writ to beings like alicorns, monarchs and, she thought, empires that had lept forward a millennia in time. She didn’t like the idea particularly but, it was likely the best way to accomplish her goal.

“Your Highness, I agree to be your Guest. I will offer no harm to anyone you command or have accepted into your Empire, nor take any action which would be considered untoward for a guest. While here, I will make every effort to assist and aid you, your household and your Empire while I remain within its borders. This I swear to you by my horn, my name and my power.”

“And I, in turn, accept the responsibilities of Host. We shall share fire, bread and salt. Neither I, nor any I command, nor any that they command shall offer you harm. For so long as you are within my Empire. This I swear by my horn, my name and my power,” intoned Cadence, completing the ritual agreement. “Guards, release her. Guests do not wear chains within the Crystal Empire.”

It was the work of a minute or two to release Chrysalis who then approached the throne and again knelt. Utterly astonishing those who had been swarming in to observe something that had never been seen before. “Princess Cadence, I ask your permission to help restore lost love, broken relationships and damaged friendships within your Empire.”

“Explain your request in detail, your Majesty,” said Cadence, “as Princess of Love, you have my interest.”

“Thank you, your Highness,” replied Chrysalis, launching into her explanation. “As Princess of Love you know that sometimes love fails, friendships die, and relationships crumble. Sometimes it cannot be stopped, but many times it can be if someone is there to provide a helping hoof. I ask that I be allowed to create a place within the Empire where I can be that helping hoof. No one knows emotions and relationships like a changeling. My people are uniquely skilled to help save loves, friendships and relationships that would otherwise fail.

“And what do you get out of this?” asked Cadence, half guessing the answer already.

“For changelings emotions like love and friendship are like food and drink are to you,” answered Chrysalis. “My drones are hungry, some starving. What I ask in return is that I be allowed to siphon off some of the restored emotions of love and friendship in order to feed my people. Will you grant my petition?”

“In principle,” answered Cadence, “yes. But there are details that must be worked out. Come, let’s work them out over lunch.”


Two weeks later
The Crystal Empire
A small office near the palace.



It had taken a week of negotiations Chrysalis mused, but here she sat in a tastefully decorated office complete with a desk, chairs and a couch. Outside were a pair of guards who were there mainly for appearances sake and her receptionist. She had requested one of her changelings but it had been one of the points she had been forced to give up during negotiations. Oh well, if this worked her priority of holding out for a greater share of restored love, affection and friendship would more than accomplish her goal of feeding her hive.

Yesterday had been the first day the office had been open. There had only been one pair of ponies come in that day but she had successfully worked the couple through their problems. Crystal ponies had even more love in them than Celestia’s subjects. That one couple had provided enough love to feed a hundred drones for a week.

“Miss Harshwhinny,” Chrysalis said as she triggered the intercom, “what does the schedule look like for today?”

“We have three appointments scheduled, your Majesty,” replied her receptionist. “The first is due here in ten minutes. They wouldn’t give their real names for the appointment though.”

“What names did they give, Harshwhinny?” asked Chrysalis.

“Dee and Cay-Cay”

Author's Note:

This is the setup for what should be a lot of light humour with fun and relationships. This had to be the most serious chapter in order to set up the premise of the following ones. Updates won't be terribly frequent as this will be a side project for me. But, I do hope to put out a chapter every week or two.

I'm pretty sure that an astute reader will have already figured out who is about to come through Chrysalis' door. If you have any ideas for future couples after our initial pair feel free to suggest them in the comments.