• Published 1st Oct 2016
  • 1,529 Views, 326 Comments

A Cavalcade of Cards - QueenMoriarty



Thirty-one random Magic: The Gathering cards. Thirty-one random-er pony stories.

  • ...
5
 326
 1,529

An Excerpt from the Planeswalker's Field Guide

The Planeswalker's Field Guide: The Essential Manual For Those Seeking to Explore Worlds Beyond Their Own

by Tamiyo

Chapter 1,4901 - Lorwhinny

Don't.

Those of you still reading may be wondering why. If being the cause of untold death and destruction is not enough of a deterrent—or perhaps the opposite—then I will elaborate.

Lorwhinny is perhaps the most fragile plane in all the multiverse, being both the smallest in scale and the least magic-resistant by a very wide margin. While it boasts the rare phenomenon of virtually untapped leylines, this does have the unfortunate side effect that the plane has not been able to build up any form of resistance to magical assault, magical enhancement, or indeed, any form of magic whatsoever. While experiments could not find any conclusive evidence due to safety concerns, it has been calculated that any magic spell which draws on more than three thaums of magical energy at a time would put too much strain on the leylines of Lorwhinny. As a result, the spell would end up consuming all available mana in the entire plane, and the resulting enhancement to the spell would most likely cause it to subsequently destroy the plane.

As far as we have been able to determine, the delicate mana balance of Lorwhinny would not be disrupted by the simple arrival of a planeswalker. The shockwaves of extraplanar imposition seem to disperse too quickly for any change to register, other than the obvious one. And that is where the greatest danger to Lorwhinny lies, in the most basic act of 'walking directly into the plane. Owing to the aforementioned small scale of Lorwhinny, if a planeswalker with any more mass than the garden variety scute bug (Chapter 483, Zendikar) were to enter the plane, they would most likely have killed over one thousand instances of the local dominant life form and destroyed at least one major city in the time it took them to realize where they were.

Seeing as the overwhelming majority of known planeswalkers at the time of writing are of a scale and mass roughly analogous to the multiversal standard for the human life form, the scale of destruction in almost all cases is likely to feature much larger numbers of casualties than those projected above, to say nothing of the damage that might be done deliberately. For all intents and purposes, a planeswalker entering Lorwhinny would be functionally indistinct from an Eldrazi titan (Chapter 1, the Blind Eternities) entering any other plane, except perhaps that rampant insanity would more than likely be superseded by heightened levels of death, destruction and general strife.

One might wonder how such a plane could survive as long as it has. How could a plane no larger than a riding dragon, peopled by a single sapient species with functionally no ability to cast magic and no other defensive capabilities to speak of, endure any of the myriad threats to a plane's existence? The answer lies in a single word: Ungula (Chapter 1,010).

The unique interactions between the planes of Ungula and Lorwhinny, in addition to being the only means of obtaining data about Lorwhinny without first reducing it to lifeless rubble, is also verifiably the only reason why the inhabitants of Lorwhinny (hereafter referred to as their own name for themselves, Breezies, for the purposes of brevity) did not die out long ago from a critical lack of any survival or self-improvement capabilities. These unique interactions are thanks in large part to an unstable planar portal between the two planes, which is only ever open for a few days at a time and, according to every available source, is in fact the multiverse's only known instance of a naturally occurring planar portal.

As for the interactions between the Breezies and the Ungulans, it is one of the most one-sided symbiotic relationships in the Multiverse. The Breezies have adapted to using the pollen of the black lotus, a flower of which there exist no viable samples in their entire native plane but is abundantly found in Ungula, as a form of power source for very nearly everything in Lorwhinny (it should be noted that the most advanced technology yet developed by Breezies is the portable lantern). Being native to a plane with no natural predators and a weather system that has never produced a storm more severe than the amount of wind needed to bend a blade of grass, the comparatively apocalyptic weather system of Ungula represents a significant obstacle in the collection of Lorwhinny's only power source, to say nothing of almost every living thing that inhabits that plane.

This is where the Ungulans come in. They keep fastidious reports and schedules concerning when the portal opens and for how long (and therefore, how long the Breezies may remain in Ungula), marshal the weather to ensure that the Breezies not only face no obstacles on the way but also receive enough of a favorable wind that they make the round trip in time, keep the path clear of any wildlife (including very small insects), and even provide moral support at any point where the Breezies pass over a settlement.

And in return for single-handedly (or hoofedly in the case of an Ungulan) and regularly preventing the extinction of an entire plane, at the expense of government resources and several days of volunteer labor? The Ungulans have another magical creature to admire and make the subject of paintings.

If you are still interested in visiting Lorwhinny, and do not plan on destroying it and its inhabitants as a direct result of said visit, there is a means of experiencing it without any immediately obvious negative repercussions for the breezies. First, one should planeswalk to Ungula. Once there, make your way to the kingdom of Equestria, and seek out Princess Twilight Sparkle (see Chapter 1,010 for details on how to find both) and inquire about the possibility of visiting Lorwhinny. If she expresses confusion, or seems to be referring to Lorwyn (Chapter 227), clarify that you mean the Breezie dimension.

Once your schedule has been coordinated with the next projected opening of the portal, Princess Twilight Sparkle will teach you a spell that will transform you into a Breezie. Assuming you do not attempt to use any magical spells in excess of three thaums while within Lorwhinny, this spell should allow for a low-to-zero-impact visit.

And for those of you wondering why it is important to keep to the schedule when you have a spell that can turn you into a Breezie at any time, it is worth keeping in mind that the Blind Eternities are not the best place to suddenly transform yourself into a fairy that cannot withstand a strong breeze. Also, due to high concerns of possible death, it has not yet been verified if a Breezie can survive planeswalking. Until such tests can be carried out without significant risk to all involved, it is recommended that the Lorwhinny-Ungula portal be the only means of entry and exit utilized by planeswalkers eager to visit a truly untapped plane.

But, in conclusion, don't.

Author's Note:

Even if we treat MLP as existing in a vacuum, the Breezies are not particularly interesting. They're weak, they're tiny, they don't speak the same language as every other sapient creature in the universe, and they exist in a pocket dimension that's only accessible through the most boring cliff face I think we've ever seen in the show.

But taken within the context of a crossover with a property whose entire shtick is multiverse travel? At that point, the Breezies become a joke race. A joke race that would be so hilariously underpowered, you'd never be able to justify printing them, not even in a joke set. If you made Seabreeze a planeswalker, his ultimate would probably be 'Restart the game, but this time play anything other than Breezie tribal'. Or there'd be a one-mana common Breezie Tribal Enchantment that just reads 'Concede'. Half the Breezie metagame would be trying to elicit so much pity from the people watching that they just gift you some better cards.

I'm going to stop now, because if I kept making jokes about how bad Breezies would be in MtG, it'd be longer than the fic. Suffice to say, there was only one way this could ever go.

Also, Tamiyo is surprisingly hard to write.