• Published 26th Jun 2012
  • 13,093 Views, 575 Comments

The Guardian - InsaneBatPony



Luna has retaken her rightful place on the throne of Equestria alongside her sister, Celestia, but while Celestia rules the day, Luna's night brings forth a monster. A monster the likes of which Equestria has never seen. A Beast of Flesh and Metal

  • ...
54
 575
 13,093

Divided

Author's Note:

Alright, I'm alive as is this story. It's been over a year since I have updated this and I apologize for that. I needed to take care of other responsibilities that took precedence over my writing this story. Now that everything is settled in that department I can do my best to make sure that this story is finished. I tried to give this thing a shot in the arm a while back, but it did not go so well. The wait was long and a new chapter was long long over due. I'm hoping that this time this chapter is better received. Thank you all for sticking with me and putting up with my waffling and long waits.

Celestia dozed peacefully in her bedchambers as the night wore on into the midnight hours. Her eyelid twitched as the moonlight crossed her face lightning it in a peaceful glow. Her chest rose and fell in a light rhythmic pattern. She rolled over to her side, her face now facing the door. Her eye twitched again as it perceived a brighter light coming from behind the door. Her eye fluttered open and the rest of her senses opened as well. She could see what appeared as a flickering candlelight become brighter under the door and the furious pounding of hooves behind it. The large golden doors flung open and a small number of guards rushed in and closed the door behind them, pulling objects in their immediate vicinity to bar the door. One of the guards was pulling a dresser with his magic while yelling orders to the other four guards.

“What is going on? Tell me this instant!” Celestia ordered harshly. One of the guards split off and faced Celestia.

“Ma’am, Captain Helios was found dead in his room and several of the Lunar Guard were found passed out on the floor. Princess Luna blasted her way through us trying to get to you. We don’t know why,” he said quickly before going back to barricading the door, panicking as he did so. Celestia pondered on the cause for a moment. Her face sank as she realized the major setback she had overlooked. Helios had told Luna. She spared his life because of his rank but he had confessed to Luna. He betrayed her.
As the guards piled things in front of the door a loud high pitched whining was heard on the other side. As the sound grew and intensified so did a dull blue light that was barely visible through all of the random items blocking the door. It grew in its intensity until the door had been blown from the frame and a wave of blue magic dissipated inside the room. Celestia’s eyes shut from the brightness of the explosion and she opened them slowly.

Luna stood on the other side of the door. Her natural eye glowed white with magic while her mechanical glowed brightly blue. Luna’s face was nearly unreadable, but Celestia could feel the anger emanating from her body. Luna walked through the door stepping over the mildly burned and injured guardsponies until she was face to face with Celestia. Luna’s mismatched eyes bored into Celestia’s golden irises. They remained there quiet and unmoving.

“I know everything,” Luna whispered to her elder sister. Celestia gulped, “Your manipulation of Volos, our old castle, and the guards who carried out your bidding. I know about all of it.” Celestia did not move. She remained still and quiet in the face of her younger sister’s presence.

“Luna understand that…” Celestia did not finish as she was sent sailing into the door to her balcony. Celestia felt the shards of glass fall on her stabbing their way into her skin. Dazed she looked up at Luna. Celestia felt a pain in her jaw and felt that it would not close properly. She reached up and popped her jaw back in place with a sickening pop. “Lu…Luna stop this. Don’t do this. Don’t follow your hate! Please!” Celestia pleaded. She watched Luna’s horn charge quickly and felt a wash of magic slam into her.
The doors of the balcony could not withstand the blast and collapsed as Celestia’s body slammed into the railing, knocking it off kilter.

“Celestia for the murders of innocent ponies and the attempted assassinations of a co-ruler of Equestria, and Volos my companion and friend, I relieve you of your duties in concordance with the law of Equestria. I hereby charge you with high treason and your punishment will be decided by a grand jury of your peers. Surrender now or I will bring you to submission!” Luna yelled at her sister’s quivering form.

“I… I Won’t! I can’t!” Celestia’s horn glowed its golden hue and fired a blast of magic at Luna. Luna jumped and dodged the reckless shot. Luna looked back to where her sister was and did not see her. She looked to the sky and saw Celestia charging a spell while hovering some distance away.
Luna took off after Celestia flying into the night sky.

2

Volos sat in the room that the CMC were given to stay in for the night while they were in the castle. He looked down on the three sleeping fillies. His red eyes remained upon them watching their chests rise and fall in rhythmic pattern as they slept. He turned as the door crept open revealing a yellow Pegasus with a pink mane enter the large room. She crept her way in as quietly as possible. She looked up and saw Volos’ large silhouette looming in the center of the room. She gulped quickly and raised a hoof, waving for him to follow her. After doing so she snuck out of the room again. Volos stood slowly and as quietly as possible. He lumbered out of the room and gently closed the door behind him. He turned and looked at the timid pegasus.

“Is there something you want?” he asked. Fluttershy nodded slowly. “What is it?”

“I…um…” she hid behind her mane, “I…uh…wanted to thank you,” she finally said. Volos could only stare at her. “I wanted to thank you for apologizing and owning your mistakes. It takes courage to do that and it shows that you’re not a mindless monster.”

“But after everything I’ve done how can you forgive so easily?”

“I never said that I forgive you,” she said softly. “I don’t know if I can but what you did in these last few days has given me a better impression of you but I’m conflicted on what to do. I’m the element of kindness not forgiveness.”

Volos nodded slowly, “I never expected you to do anything at all.”

“I chose to do this because I can walk and with proper rehabilitation I’ll be able to fly enough to take care of my animals but nothing will ever be as it was before.”
Volos remained silent.

Maybe one day we can be friends, but it won’t be right now,” she said. “I need to be going. The doctor wants me back in bed soon.”

“Goodbye,” Volos said softly. He went back into the fillies’ room and sat in a corner listening to his mechanisms hum.

3

Celestia’s wings burned. Her muscles were cramping as she tried to outrun her younger sister. Luna always took to flight to travel while Celestia preferred to teleport leaving her wings sorely underused. She chanced a look back at her pursuer and saw Luna’s eyes boring into her still. Celestia stopped and hovered knowing that there was no other way. She looked around and found herself just above the center of Canterlot.

“Luna that’s enough! I have my reasons for what I’ve done and I do not need to explain myself to you!” Luna stopped and hovered in front of Celestia.

“You have much to answer for Sister! I offered you a chance and now I have to use force.”

“I have nothing to answer for Luna. I did what I had to.”

Celestia charged her horn and let a bolt of magic fly to Luna. Luna dodged it easily and stared down at her sister. Luna charged up at her sister and their bodies collided forcing them both to tumble through the air. They fell towards the ground kicking and punching each other with their hooves. As the ground neared they broke apart and flapped their wings with all their might. Celestia managed to teleport herself to the ground without breaking her legs. Luna hit the ground leaving her stunned but otherwise none to damaged. Luna staggered to her hooves and glared at her white colored counterpart. Celestia stared back.

“Why Celestia? Why are you doing this?” Luna asked through gritted teeth.

“I have nothing to explain to you,” Celestia said defiantly.

“Why do this? All of this?”

“As I said, I have my reasons.”

Luna continued to glare at her sister. Celestia stood tall and proud, despite her injuries, and remained fixed on Luna. Her Mane continued to flow in the magic that coursed through her body. Luna lit her horn and charged her magic. Celestia did the same. The magic built until it reached its breaking point. They released streams of magic that collided with each other. They struggled to maintain their respective beams while a large orb built at the collision point. The orb grew larger and larger as Celestia and Luna pumped magic into their attacks. The orb exploded sending waves of magic in every direction. Both Luna and Celestia were sent flying backwards. Luna collided with the castle wall leaving her stuck in the stone. Celestia tumbled along the ground. Celestia came to a stop and got to her hooves. She limped and staggered her way to where Luna was embedded. Celestia stood in front of Luna’s body and charged her horn again. With a steeled resolve Celestia aimed her horn at Luna’s heart.

“Now I will be free. Free of you Illegitimate and free of them.”

Her magic was ready to be released and she planted her hooves. She was ready to fire. Celestia released a slam and concentrated stream of magic into Luna’s heart. Luna woke quickly from her unconsciousness and screamed from the searing pain. She could feel the heat course through her body and she writhed from the agony. Luna’s struggled against the stone holding her and her sister’s magic. She let out a piercing scream into the night air.

Celestia’s magic stopped. She looked at Luna. Luna’s body twitched and a hole had been burned into her chest. Smoke rose from the wound and the fur around it was scorched to black. Small amounts of blood dripped from the hole and onto the cobblestone ground. Luna’s mane lost its ethereal glow and dropped around her shoulders in its natural silver blue color. Celestia could tell that Luna still lived from the very slight movement coming from her chest. Celestia stood looking at her work. She still held her defiance and resolve but her mind had become blank. Celestia grabbed Luna’s horn with her hoof and pulled her from the stone letting her fall to the ground. She stood over her sister’s limp and broken body. Luna’s metal leg shimmered under the light of the moon and blue light in her eye flickered while her other remained closed. Celestia looked over her.

“Filthy, filthy creature,” she sneered. “Disgusting!” Celestia kicked the limp body before her. “Illegitimate filthy beast!” She kicked again and again. “Monster!” She kicked one last time.

Celestia huffed from the exertion. She could feel the bruising of her hoof beginning to form on her skin and ignored it. She turned to leave and caught something in her peripherals. She turned to the object and stopped. Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack stood in her path; mouths agape and horrified expressions on all of their faces. Volos as well stood by them; his face unreadable as always.

“What have you done?” Twilight asked, mortified.

Celestia remained still. Her face did not change and her chest was out in pride.

“What needed to be done,” she replied. Volos stepped forward and walked to Celestia. “Whatever you do to me beast, I will not move. I have no regrets.”

Volos stopped by Celestia’s side and did not look at her.

“Leave this place. Gather your strength and we will settle this.”

Volos moved from his spot beside her and picked up Luna’s body. He walked back to the six ponies and left them there as he went on to the castle. Celestia turned from the six Element holders. Saying nothing more she took off into the night sky and vanished from sight. The six element holders remained outside staring up into the flickering and fading stars. Twilight fell to her haunches and cried bitterly as the others began to join her with their own tears.