• Published 26th Jun 2012
  • 13,090 Views, 575 Comments

The Guardian - InsaneBatPony



Luna has retaken her rightful place on the throne of Equestria alongside her sister, Celestia, but while Celestia rules the day, Luna's night brings forth a monster. A monster the likes of which Equestria has never seen. A Beast of Flesh and Metal

  • ...
54
 575
 13,090

The Forest Part 4: Battle Prowess

Sections one and Two are simultaneous

Luna ran. She turned her head and blasted bolt after bolt of magic at her large adversary. She took cover behind another wall of the dilapidated castle as the metal spider launched another barrage of bullets. She put up a small shield and ducked. The bullets bounced off the shield but the constant impacts were taking a toll. Luna dropped the shield after she heard the metal tubes stop booming.

She was beginning to believe that the Voice was right in saying that it would turn her into a corpse. She ran from her cover and used a flash spell to blind the metal monster. The spider screeched and flailed its upper body into the air before crashed back down again. It screeched loudly before charging at Luna again.

It flew onto one of the wall and began to crawl along it, all the while trying to stab Luna with one of its large pointed legs. Luna hopped in between the jabs and kept leaping like a frog to dodge each thrust. She found an opening and teleported to it and took cover behind a fallen pillar. She knelt low to the ground making herself as small as possible.

The spider crawled off the wall and inched forward as it looked for its target. Luna slowed her breathing as best as the adrenaline would let her and tried to get even closer to the pillar than she already was. She watched one of the legs move over her hiding spot. She held her breath tightly. The spider’s body went over the pillar drowning out any light. Luna put a hoof over her nose and mouth to keep from breathing as her lungs shriveled from lack of air.

The spider kept moving down the corridor after smashing through another wall of her old home. Luna removed her hooves from her face and inhaled every bit of air that would fit into her deprived lungs. She stood up slowly and tip-hooved away from the pillar and into another room. She fell to her haunches and breathed a heavy sigh of relief.

“That was too close,” she told herself. She stood up again. “I need to keep moving.”

Luna peeked out of the room and found no sign of the spider that was chasing her before. She trotted briskly down the ivy coated corridors of the castle and came to a stop when she found another wall in her way.

“A dead end,” she cursed. She turned around and retraced her steps. She found another passage way leading back to the throne room. When she reached the doors she stopped and peered inside. Seeing nothing blocking her way she went inside. Luna galloped through the large room. The floor began to rumble and tremble; Luna stopped and waited. She felt the floor begin to collapse and she leapt into the air and darted for the crumbled remains of the throne that her father sat on all those years ago.

The spider emerged from the floor screeching and thrashing. Luna closed her eyes and took a quick breath. Her eyes roamed the room until they rested on a partially broken window in front of her. She tried to take a small step forward. Her shoe clunked against the stone floors and the spider’s attention was now trained onto her position.

Luna cursed under her breath. She gripped the pane with her magic and pushed the glass out. It shattered and fell to the forest floor. Luna cringed, hoping that the spider did not hear. She peeked from around the corner.

The large spider clicked and screeched. It did not move, opting for moving its head from side to side. Luna watched its intensely glowing yellow eyes until they moved into her direction. She ducked back behind the ruined throne. She held her breath and risked looking out one last time.

Her head came out from hiding and she began staring directly into the spider’s eyes. She screamed and ran for the window again. The spider shot a leg out and it met only air. Luna was hovering just at the window’s height and felt her hoof touch the stone surrounding the opening and searing pain. Time slowed down for her.

She felt her ribs collapse to one side as she crumpled on a large brown silver metal beam. Her eye caught a glimpse of the one of the spider’s legs moving in a swing motion. Luna felt blood fill her mouth, its copper taste overpowering. Her lungs released their stores of air. She opened her mouth to see a waterfall of red and her nose ran red. She felt herself go numb and felt herself flying threw the air. She felt something impact her back as she flipped over it. Her spine cracked and crumpled and her muscles stretched and strained. She fell and slammed into the cobblestone floors, a pool of red blood filling the cracks in the stones.

She lay there struggling to breathe as blood filled her throat and mouth again. She spat out the blood and managed to get her hooves under her. She pushed against the ground only to fall back down again. Her vision became blurry and her eyes began to glaze over. She struggled to remain conscious as darkness touched the corners of her eyes. She fought it back as the spider moved in her location.

Her legs would not respond to her brain’s instructions and they remained motionless. She channeled what magic she could into her horn and blasted another magical beam. She watched as the beam fizzled out before striking its mark. She laid her head against the stone and felt wetness around it. Darkness continued to nip at her the corners of her eyes as she struggled to remain awake. Her breathing was extremely labored and short. She coughed and flipped herself to her stomach. She couldn’t feel her body anymore and she remained still.

The spider lowered its head until its jaws were nearly on top of Luna. Luna watched as they opened revealing massive metal teeth that began to spin emitting a sickening sound. She closed her eyes and waited for her impending death.

Then, a loud boom sounded in the castle.

2

The console that once flickered with artificial life was now a smoking and useless pile of junk. Volos stomped quickly to the lift that had delivered him to the chamber. He stepped inside and waited for the lift to begin moving. The doors closed and it began to move itself up along the passageway. Before long the doors opened, revealing the blue screen from before. He stepped through it quickly and activated his scanners. His sight filled with colors; from the green of animals to the red of threats and in that mass of colors he found Luna’s signal, a deep purple. He began to walk before going into a full sprint after he saw the purple running from an invisible enemy.

He continued scanning across all of his available scan frequencies and still nothing appeared on his radar. He growled with frustration as he cradled his new weapon in his hands. He held it on the underside of the barrel with his left hand and sprinted down the corridors avoiding obstacles by jumping over them and going around. He felt his anger grow as he continued to see the purple mist on his scanner move rapidly for one moment and then stop.

His pace was considerably faster as his legs carried him through the large castle. He felt himself hitting objects but his pace remained unchanged as small walls and other thin obstacles crumbled away from him. He jumped over a mound of rubble and leaped off of the adjacent wall and continued sprinting after smashing into the ground.

He switched off his scanner as he got closer to where Luna was located. He saw the doors to the throne room and charged in. He watched as Luna flew through the air and fell to the ground after impacting a broken statue. She struggled to get up as the spider neared her.

His internal database search raced to find what kind of mechanical monster he was watching. The words filled his vision.

Designate: Seripath…Purpose: Infiltration large enemy outposts while remaining undetectable…Weaknesses: Unknown… Weapons: Variation of the M61 Vulcan Gatling Gun that entered military service in the year 1959… Current Model: Vulcanus 553 Beta... Caliber: 1.00… Firing rate: 20,000 rounds a minute… Danger assessment: Extreme…

Volos held up his rifle and fired one round as the Seripath lowered its jaws to Luna. The metal on the Seripath’s head imploded and then exploded in a shower of rusted metal and black oil. Oil and sparks roared from the hole as the Seripath screeched and stumbled backwards. Volos ran to Luna as the Seripath continued to howl and flail.

He picked her up gently and fled to the nearest piece of cover he could find. He laid Luna down and propped her head up on the stone. He scanned her body. He whined softly. There was extensive damage to her internal organs, muscles and bones. His vision soon filled with a flood of biological information. The lines of data stopped and vanished and he peered over the stone mound.

The spider was now fully recovered. The hole in its head still visible as oil and sparks continued to spill through. Volos went back down behind the mound and brought his medical interface up. He flooded it with commands and prompts, desperately trying to find a solution. The interface vanished of its own accord and he felt the armor panels just under his wrist move to the side and a syringe containing a glowing orange ooze came from it.

…Nano Medibot transfusion required… Inject into subject…

Volos plunged the syringe into Luna’s torso and let the glowing orange goo go into her body.

…Medibots successfully deployed… …. … … … … … Heart and Lung Stabilization achieved…. …. …. …. …. ….Now redirecting all Medibot and Nanobot priorities to life support… Achieved… … Estimated healing time… 3 Days 16 Hours… Recommend Hospitalization upon completion for total recovery…

Volos sighed before stepping out from behind the stone mound. He ran to the door and stood in the entry way. He roared loudly and fired another round from his rifle. The bullet impacted the Spiders leg making it fall onto its injured leg. The spider screeched and charged at Volos.

Volos ran further and further into the castle, firing an occasional shot to keep the Seripath’s attention. The Seripath followed him like a dumb beast and continued to crash its way through to reach Volos. Volos finally stopped, deciding that he had gone far enough, and fired off three more rounds directly into the Seripath. The Seripath roared and charged again.

Volos clipped the rifle back to his right leg and let go when the Mag Lock sealed it in place. He looked down at his newly upgraded arm and tried to release the sword that was trapped inside the armor. The armor plates separated and slid to either side of his forearm and a large silver blade shot from the space. The blade itself was serrated in the center of the blade on both edges and came to sharp point.

Volos chuckled and moved his arm into a punching position with his fist clenched and the blades tip even with his chest. He lowered himself into a running stance and remained.

“Let’s go!” he roared, sprinting.

3

Volos charged the Seripath, his blade remaining even with his chest. The Seripath swept one of its legs across the ground. Volos jumped at the last second. He flew upwards, still unused to his new body. Managing to flip himself in midair, he pushed from the ceiling and down onto the Seripath. He stuck his blade out and plunged it into the creature’s back, becoming lodged. The Seripath screeched loudly and jumped into the nearest stone wall. Volos' arm pulled and strained from the Seripath's rampage. It reared up and smashed itself down againVolos’ sword came loose from the Seripath’s back as he was smashed through the wall. He staggered to his feet and readied himself again.

The Seripath raised its tail and trained the gun onto Volos’ position. The barrels began to rotate before the thunderous sound of bullets erupted from it. Volos jumped to the side and dodged the initial barrage behind a pile of rotting wood and going prone. The bullets did not stop as the gun rotated to his current location. He jumped away from the wood and rolled into a standing position. He felt an impact on his chest and was thrown to the ground.

His new chest plate held firm but now had a large scratch of paint missing where the bullet had ricochet. He tried to get to his feet but was thrown back down as another hail of bullets rained down on to him. His vision was swimming with numerical data and damage assessments. He tried to focus back to the Seripath that was now bearing down on him.

The bullets stopped and he managed to roll away from a stomping leg just before it impacted the ground. Volos growled and jumped to his feet. He pulled his newly acquired pistol from his quad plate and trained it to the Seripath’s swerving head. He pulled the trigger and a small blast of super-heated plasma rang from its barrel. The small yellow mass splattered on the Seripath’s right leg and seared it. Volos observed the effects. The metal melted away and the plasma dripped into the circuitries and wires melting them quickly. The Seripath shook it off and focused once again onto Volos' position.

The Seripath charged at full speed. Volos was unprepared for the speed that the large spider could muster. It's head slammed into Volos' chest and bucked its head up. Volos flew into the air, his body flipping wildly. Volos watched the world spin and shift as he flipped and tumbled through the air. His eyes caught the Seripath below and he twisted his head and shoulders as much as possible to not lose sight of it. Volos kicked his legs and swung his arms, making himself turn back to a manageable position. He sheathed his sword and felt himself fall back towards the Seripath. He raised his right arm high above his head as he fell back down to his opponent. The Seripath raised its head and opened its mouth and its teeth began to move like a chainsaw’s teeth ready to accept its on coming meal.

Volos came down and his legs entered the Seripath’s mouth. The spinning metal teeth scratched and tore at Volos' leg armor. Volos felt the teeth puncture and pierce his armor as he forced his elbow down into the Seripath’s nose. The Seripath’s rusted nose crumbled underneath the force becoming nothing more than a crumpled metal sheet. The teeth inside its upper jaw folded into one another and the belts moving them snapped and shredded. The serrated metal teeth flew from their original home and embedded themselves into the surrounding area and deeper into the Seripath's body. The Seripath hollered and shook its head violently, flinging Volos into the dirt before collapsing.

Volos shook his head and tried to stand. His legs buckled and he fell onto his back. He leaned up and found one of the teeth embedded into his shin. He grasped it and yanked it out, exerting much force to do so. The tooth ripped out slowly from his leg and it began to bleed oil and blood from around the entry point. Volos roared as the serrations on the tooth ripped through his muscle tissues. The tooth came out of his leg after a few seconds and his nanobots went to work trying to repair the damage. He focused next on the tooth that had embedded itself in his shoulder pauldron. He grabbed and ripped it from his armor, the tooth shredding more muscle fibers. He held down his roar this time and instead breathed heavily.

…Muscular fibers heavily damaged…Repairs in progress… Estimated time until completion… Four Minutes thirty-seven seconds… Armor Integrity holding at 95%...Armor molecular reinforcement and repair processes begun… Time until completion…Three minutes…

Volos decided not to question where the armor reinforcement and repair programs came from. Instead he decided to wait for the repairs to this muscles and armor to complete. The Seripath remained motionless in a heap of smoking metal and small fires. Volos stared at the sight, marveling at his new found strength capabilities.

‘Run internal biological diagnostic’

…Running…Running…Running…Complete…Displaying Data…

Muscle Mass increased 200%... Upgraded Bio-Mechanical heart found…Upgraded Bio-Mechanical lungs found…Stamina increased 300% as result of new organs...

Volos whistled as the data vanished from his vision. “That will certainly help,” he said to himself. A ping interrupted his musings and he stood up on solid legs and the armor was fully repaired. “Not bad. Even my nanobots got upgraded for speed repairs.” He walked around found his pistol among the wreckage of the Seripath, somehow unscathed save for a scorch mark or two. He hooked it back to his left Quadriceps Mag Lock and went back to find Princess Luna.

4

Princess Luna groaned and her head spun and throbbed. Her eyes continuously refused to open and her voice was lost. The most she could do was moan and make other little noises to communicate. She cringed as she felt her bones move and crack back into their regular positions. The process was slow and painful and she was unable to scream. Instead, she let her tears fall down her cheeks as she whimpered and shook. She felt the ground vibrate as large footsteps approached. She strained to move and turn her head. The vibrations grew stronger and she forced her eyelids to move ever so slightly. Between the darkened vision and blurry perceptions she saw a large bipedal figure in the doorway.

The figure moved forward towards her and her body would not move anymore. The figures feet were clearly visible when it was close to her nearly closed eyes. The large black shin had intricate silver accents and patterns and was very large. She watched as the large shin moved back folded parallel to the ground.

“Easy princess, I got you,” a deep gruff voiced said softly. Luna’s eyes closed again and she felt her body leave the ground. She felt her body being caressed gently and felt herself being put against a large wall like metal plate. “You’ll be okay,” it said again. Her mind was slipping from conscious state to the unconscious but before it fell completely she heard more. “I will protect you.”

She then fell into unconsciousness.

Author's Note:

Yes. I did change my author name. Same guy different name. That's all.

I finally had time to work on this thing! I had a huge backlog of work to catch up on since my last update. Sometimes I hate college. :trollestia: