• Published 21st Sep 2016
  • 2,029 Views, 48 Comments

Diamond of Desire - GaryOak



Black whispers from the core of a great, long-forgotten diamond caress Spike's mind with promises of the one thing he desires most of all: Rarity.

  • ...
9
 48
 2,029

Chapter Three — Daybreak

Chapter Three
Daybreak
===============

Twilight Sparkle and her six closest friends stood in Canterlot Castle's grand entrance hall. It was nearly midnight. A pair of bat ponies clad in the crescent moon-emblemed armour of Princess Luna's entourage flanked the wide flight of stairs.

Her friends were bleary-eyed from the sudden summons and train in the middle of the night. Part of her was glad they were too tired to pry too much; she had spent most of the ride brooding in a corner, trying not to think about the gem in the saddlebags she wore or the vivid portent it had shown her.

A trumpet sounded from within, and Princess Celestia, a quartet of her royal guard detail at her side, emerged from the door to the stairs' left. She descended to the steps, nodding at her guards to halt. She stopped in front of Twilight and lowered her head respectfully. “Twilight, what brings you to Canterlot at such a late hour, and so soon after defeating Tirek? Surely you have not yet settled into your new home yet, have you?”

The seven visitors bowed. Twilight was the first to stand. Looking at Celestia made the guilt she had felt from her vision return, constricting her throat. Speaking was a challenge. “I wish this were a casual visit, Princess, but we have a serious problem.”

A stern, regal look replaced Celestia's ever-pleasant smile. “What is it, Twilight?”

“I don't know exactly.”

It doesn't help she didn't say a word the entire trip over here,” Rainbow Dash said. She flew circles over the group. “I was woken from my super-important rest with, 'Twilight needs you. It's urgent!' and nothing else, not even during the train ride here.”

Twilight regretted keeping to herself on the journey to the castle, but she could not bring herself to tell them what she saw. “No. This is bad.”

“Well? What in the hay is it?” Applejack asked.

“Stand back.” Twilight waited until her friends complied before magicking open her saddlebags and extracting the diamond. It did not glow as it had earlier that evening. But its black aura was still visible, even under Twilight's magic grasp. She floated the diamond between her and Celestia. “Spike found this today.”

Celestia's eyes widened ever so slightly, barely enough for Twilight to notice. “What is that?”

“I don't know exactly, but it's dangerous.”

“'Dangerous'?” Rarity looked as if a firecracker had just gone off in her stomach. “'Dangerous' hardly begins to describe it. It's vile. It's wretched. It's—”

Twilight put the diamond back in the bag.

“Come with me.” The ponies exchanged glances as Celestia turned and strode back up the stairs. Her guards began to follow, but she dismissed them with a wave of her forehoof. Twilight and the others had to trot to keep up with her long strides as she led them to Canterlot Tower.

As they moved through a long corridor, Rainbow zoomed overhead and rolled her eyes at Twilight. “We're all scared of some lame diamond now? Seriously? Come on! We just beat a demon who stole all the magic in Equestria and sent him back to the middle of Tartarus. Talk about a downgrade.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes. “Rainbow, that 'lame diamond' showed me a possible future, I think. It was horrible, but so real at the same time.”

“Me, too,” said Rarity. “I had everything I wanted, but... I was a monster.”

“It gave me my wildest dream,” Spike said, his voice hollow. “Then it took it away.”

Celestia came to a stop in front of a pair of familiar double doors. She opened them and ushered the ponies and Spike inside. Celestia remained silent as she walked to the centre of the room. Moonlight streamed through the stained glass windows, painting the tiles with their vibrant colours. She sat in the middle of the room, and the others formed a semicircle around her.

Celestia regarded them with hard eyes. “Twilight, you said you do not understand the nature of this diamond?”

Twilight shook her head. Celestia's magic wrapped itself around the saddlebags. “Be careful!”

“Do not worry,” Celestia said. She levitated the diamond from the bags and set it on the floor between them. Its aura pulsed around everyone except her—even in the darkness of night, she radiated light the diamond could not penetrate. Her eyes made slight movements from side to side, as if the diamond contained some kind of tiny, invisible text.

Her horn shimmered, and she lowered it until its tip tapped the diamond. A shrill tone rang through the room. Celestia raised her head and regarded the artifact through disbelieving eyes. “Unbelievable. After all these years...”

Pinkie hopped up and down. “Ooh, what? You remembered to send the Sultan of Saddle Arabia some of Canterlot's best tea?”

Celestia blinked and frowned for a moment. “I... remind me again after this matter has been dealt with. I hope he won't be too upset about it.”

From the corner of her eye, Twilight noticed Spike staring at the diamond as if in a trance. She gently pushed him back and wrapped a wing around him like a feathery blanket.

“Yes, the diamond.” Celestia magicked the diamond into the air beside her head. “As you have already deduced, this diamond is enchanted. Like you, I do not know the specifics of the spell upon it. Even I have never seen magic quite like this.”

Twilight's face fell, her ears sagging.

“But I do know of the spell's origin. This is the work of Daybreak Aurora.”

“Who?” said everypony else at once.

“Many centuries ago, Daybreak Aurora was my apprentice, much like you, Twilight, and Sunset Shimmer before you.” Celestia set the diamond back down.

Twilight sat up and stared with rapt attention. “What happened to her?”

“She was a magical genius.” Memory's glaze unfocused Celestia's eyes. “My first apprentice. When I first met her as a filly, I knew she had enormous potential, and her powers grew at an astounding rate. To this day, I have yet to witness her prowess matched by anypony I have taken under my wing.”

Rainbow tossed her head and snorted. “Wait just a minute! Are you saying she was more powerful than even Twilight? That's a joke, right?”

Lines marred Celestia's grave face. For a second, she looked every bit as old as she was. “I am afraid so. That diamond is a testament to her power, is it not? In becoming an alicorn, Twilight reached heights nopony before her managed to, but Daybreak and Twilight were separated by one crucial difference. Twilight's thirst for knowledge was for just that—knowledge. Daybreak was just as studious, but her aims were different. She sought raw power. There was no magical challenge too great for her, no spell to complex for her to master. I knew she could go far, but I was both right and wrong.”

“Judgin' by the state of that there diamond, she went bad,” Applejack said, pointing a forehoof at it.

“Not immediately.” Celestia's gaze followed Applejack's hoof. “At first, her eyes were always bright and joyful, full of wonder. She was amazed with what she had learned on a given day, but when it became clear to her that she had surpassed those around her, arrogance began festering within her heart. It was then that I realized we could not continue her apprenticeship. I only wish I had the wherewithal to intervene sooner. I was naive then; I could not bring myself to accept that a filly so talented, innocent, and pure could become such a monster...”

* * *

I stood in this very room all those years ago. Daybreak Aurora was across from me. She radiated arrogance and confidence. She was tall and proud. Even centuries later, I still vividly remember what she looked like. Her most prominent feature was her piercing teal eyes; her coat was orange like the sunrise, and her mane and tail were elegantly styled cascades of light blues; and her cutie mark was a rising sun partially obscured by clouds.

She gave me a half-bow that had become her custom for some months. How long, I now wonder, had she been feigning respect? “Why have you summoned me, Princess?” she asked. “My project isn't finished yet. I know you're eager to see it, but you can't rush the greatest spell Equestria has ever witnessed.”

The way Daybreak spoke made it sound like she truly believed what she was saying. I shook my head. What I was forced to say would hurt both of us. “I am sorry, but our lessons must come to an end.”

Her eyes sparked. She was always an emotive mare, but her eyes were her most expressive feature. They allowed me to see past her facade. “What do you mean? I've graduated?” she asked.

“No.” I saw her bravado evaporate in an instant. “Something has been going on for some months, but I did not want to believe it. You have changed, Daybreak, and not for the better. You have grown strong, but I'm afraid you have lost the way. I have tried to set you on the right path, but you continue to gallop toward the same place Nightmare Moon did.”

Daybreak opened and closed her mouth several times before she could find words, something I had not witnessed since I had first met her. She finally managed to simply say, “What?”

“In your reckless pursuit of your ambitions, you have disregarded my countless warnings.” She appeared to shrink under my words. “You have allowed your aspirations to own you. You seek power for power's sake, and nothing else is important to you anymore.”

It did not take Daybreak long to rear up, gritting her teeth at me. “How dare you do this to me? Me, the pony destined to surpass Starswirl as the greatest spellshaper who ever lived!” Malice—or was it insanity?—glinted in her eyes. “I know the purpose of this apprenticeship. I am to be your successor. You hoofpicked me to take your place on Equestria's throne one day. It is mine by right!”

For the first time, I uttered a lesson which I have had to repeat far too often. “I have never implied the reason for our studies is to groom you as my heir. That is what you have chosen it to mean, and that is one of many reasons we cannot continue.”

Daybreak rudely tossed her head. There was no point for her to mask her disrespect for me anymore. “Do you think I'm blind? Of course that's why you're training me. It's as obvious as the sun in the sky. Why else would you raise a filly with the most magical potential in the kingdom like a daughter?”

I shook my head, finally understanding how deluded she had become. “Only the pure of heart and mind can rule, Daybreak. You are not blossoming into the princess you fancy yourself as—you are withering into a tyrant queen. Equestria under your hoof would soon resemble the Sombra-era Crystal Empire.”

Saying these words felt like removing a splinter. “You have forgotten the first lesson I taught you when I took you under my wing. Our gifts do not shape us; our actions do. Since princesshood is your obsession now, then know this: A true princess is never above her subjects. She watches over and nurtures them. The best way to judge a pony's character is to observe not how she treats her superiors, but those under her, and the manner in which you have treated the citizens of Canterlot as of late, when you thought I wasn't looking, has been most un-princess-like.”

It was done. I sighed not with relief, but with disappointment. “I am afraid we must part ways now, Daybreak. Accommodations shall be made for you within the magic district of Canterlot. I'm sure a unicorn of your talents will have little trouble finding employ.” I looked away. I could not hide my feelings any longer, but I could not let her see the anguish on my face. “Farewell.”

“'Farewell...'” Daybreak said. “'Farewell'? 'Farewell'?” I could only imagine how livid she must have looked. “You take everything from me, and all you can say is 'farewell'? I am on the brink of developing a spell the likes of which ponykind has never seen. The power I will wield will change the face of Equestria forever—a far greater gift than your meager contribution of raising the sun and moon—something the unicorns did before your rule in the first place. You're jealous of me. You're afraid that you will be forgotten.”

I faced her again just in time to see a tremendous surge of bright yellow magic surrounding her horn. “Daybreak, what are you doing?”

“If you wish to deny me the throne, then I shall take it by force!” Scorching fury and gleeful insanity twisted her face as she continued to summon her power. “Behold, Celestia, the very power you have come to fear, for I am Daybreak Aurora, the greatest sorceress in the history of ponykind!”

Daybreak's attack came so fast, I hardly had time to react. She pulled her head back, then tossed it forward like a catapult, hurling her gathered magic directly at me. It surrounded me, and I projected magic of my own to hold her assault at bay. The attack was so intense, I felt in the middle of a cyclone, its deadly winds whipping around me, the whistling filling my ears.

All I could see was the bright yellow and golden glow of our magics. Through the arcane torrent, I heard innumerable panes of glass shatter. I felt the strain on my magic as I held her back. She was not entirely exaggerating when she boasted of her power. I reached into my reserves of strength and stymied her attack.

But I held back. I knew if I went full force, I would destroy her. “Daybreak, stop this, please!” I yelled through clenched teeth. “I don't want to fight you!”

The roar of our clashing magics almost drowned out her response. “So you are afraid.”

“Then you leave me no choice,” I muttered. “Please... forgive me.” I focused my power into a cone and pushed it toward Daybreak, drilling through her unfocused swathe of magic. I did everything I could to use only enough power to penetrate her attack and disable her, but... I heard a piercing scream. Before I could withdraw my riposte, there was a great flash.

Daybreak was gone.

* * *

Twilight, Spike, and the others gawked as Celestia finished her tale. Twilight now understood why Celestia had never mentioned Daybreak before. The way Celestia's head hung low told Twilight everything.

“So that's it?” Rainbow stood on her hind legs and made a sweeping motion with her forelegs. “Poof! Gone?”

Celestia swallowed hard and nodded. “Without a trace.” Twilight could not believe it, but she saw her trembling ever so slightly.

Applejack stared gape-mouthed at her. “You... blew her up?”

Celestia shook. “I still haven't forgiven myself. I-I didn't mean to. If I had used any less force—”

Twilight leapt forward and nuzzled her. “You would have died. I've known you since I was a filly, and the Princess Celestia I know has never used magic other than to help ponies. You did everything you could to avoid what happened. You can't let this eat away at you.”

Celestia wrapped her forelegs around Twilight and held her tightly. “Perhaps you are right. As powerful as Daybreak was, I still have a hard time believing the force I used could have done that to her.”

“So... this gem?” Fluttershy gawked at the diamond with terrified and fascinated eyes.

Applejack winced as a small black spark flew off the diamond. “That's the spell Daybreak was talkin' about, ain't it?”

“It must be,” Celestia said. “A wonder it has not been found until now. This diamond was once a gift from the Crystal Empire, given to Luna and I during our coronation. It was their most precious jewel, white and pure. One day—while Daybreak was alive—it vanished from the Canterlot treasury, and the culprit was never caught. Like Daybreak, it has been poisoned by darkness. This is her legacy.”

“Okay, so we've confirmed the diamond's evil. Again,” said Rainbow. She looked ready to stomp on it, but she made no move. “What are we supposed to do with it?”

Celestia stood and flared her enormous wings. “It must be destroyed. We do not know the full extent of its power. It can poison the minds of others, but that feels too simple for Daybreak, especially for something she touted as a spell that would change Equestria.”

Applejack stood and cracked her neck. “Say no more. Anypony got a hammer?”

“Oh, come now, Applejack,” Rarity said. “Diamonds may not be that hard, relatively speaking, but it will most certainly take more than a simple hammer to break it.”

“It's just an expression.” Applejack closed her eyes and slowly shook her head.

“Regardless, we cannot make a rash decision.” Celestia magicked the diamond aloft. “While we could no doubt destroy it here and now, the extent of Daybreak's enchantments remains unknown. Remember, she said her spell was unfinished. It would be foolish to break it and unleash potentially volatile magic in the heart of Canterlot.” She strode toward the vault that once housed the Elements of Harmony. “You must all be very tired. It is late, and we should get some rest so we can tackle this problem tomorrow with fresh minds.”

“Tired? Speak for yourself, Princess—” A drawn-out yawn cut Rainbow off.

Celestia chuckled. “Accommodations will be made for you in the castle.”

The seven visitors bowed to Celestia and made their way toward the hall’s door. All except for Twilight. “Go on ahead, everypony. I'll catch up,” she said. Now that the emergency planning session was over, the vision the diamond had shown her bubbled with guilt in her mind. “Princess?”

“Yes?”

“Is what Daybreak said true?” Her ears drooped. She struggled to keep her voice audible. “That the whole point of these apprenticeships is to find an heir?” The words caught in her throat, but she forced them out. “The vision the diamond showed me... It was me, sitting on the throne of Canterlot, wearing your crown.”

Twilight started to choke, her neck muscles clenching from the thought. Her eyes burned. “If the diamond is supposed to show us our deepest desires...” She blinked away tears. “I'm sorry, Princess! I swear I'm not like her. I don't want to replace you!”

Celestia set the diamond down and wrapped a wing around Twilight, pulling her close. “Twilight Sparkle, you are nothing like Daybreak Aurora. What you said tells me the diamond shows you what it thinks you want most.”

Twilight snuggled against her former mentor and looked up at her through bleary eyes. “Well, I suppose I did break free from that vision on my own. If it was truly right, I may have not wanted to wake up.”

“Exactly.” Celestia beamed down at her. “As for your station... As I said, your destiny remains uncertain. Do not look too far ahead. I daresay your current mantle will be quite the hooffull for some time. Now, it is time to join your friends and go to sleep.”

Twilight stood and wiped her eyes. “What about the diamond?”

“I shall personally seal it within Canterlot Tower.”

“Right. Good night, Princess Celestia.” Twilight set off for the castle's guest quarters at a trot.

* * *

Amidst night’s stillness, a black miasma seeped through the cracks of Canterlot Tower's enchanted door. The smoke wrapped itself around the magical door’s panels and squeezed with an ethereal fist. The door shattered, scattering fragments all over the tile floor.

The diamond, surrounded by deadly black light, floated out into the deserted hall.

* * *

Spike lay curled up in a basket, with a blanket draped over him. He was at the foot of a luxurious four-poster bed in a royal guest bedroom. Twilight slept, but Spike could not calm the sea of thoughts in his head. Was the diamond trying to manipulate everypony into achieving its—Daybreak's—ends?

He shuddered, remembering how completely he had been brainwashed. The diamond did not even have to resort to harnessing terrible powers such as the metamorphosis of Queen Chrysalis or the raw, titanic magics of Lord Tirek. It scared him because it was more like a catalyst—a stone that tricked those it touched into pursuing their greatest desire at any cost.

When Spike was under its spell, it was not the diamond's energy that fueled him, but his own. The worst part was he did not want the spell to be broken. But at the same time, he had seen what it had done to Twilight. His rational judgment told him there was no way the diamond could be anything but evil. He clutched his heart. Regardless of what he thought, it still felt like Rarity had stomped on it when she stormed into the library.

It hurts, doesn't it?

Spike bolted upright, his limbs rigid.

Once again, poor, inferior Spike gets the short end of the stick.

He opened his eyes and slowly turned his head, knowing what he would find. The diamond floated not a foot away from him. He tried to scream, but his voice would not obey.

You're tired of it all, aren't you?

“Tired? Tired of what?” His voice was a hoarse whisper.

Don't act like you don't know. Being second-class. You are Princess Twilight's servant, nothing morea dragon stolen from its lands and family as an egg and forced into a life of servitude in Equestria. Ponies—especially Rarity—trample all over you.

“No... it's not true!” Spike's hands had become shaking fists. “Twilight and I are a team. I'm her number one assistant.”

Please, do you honestly believe that? She can get anything she wants with a simple spell or wave of her hoof. You are merely her favourite serf, because you are so sickeningly submissive.

Spike looked over his shoulder at Twilight's unaware, sleeping face. “Twilight's my friend...”

Dark, misty tendrils extended from the diamond and encircled his head. And what about your beloved Rarity? If you had a bit for every time she spurned your affection, you could buy the Carousel Boutique. I know how your heart cries for her. I know how much you desire her.

Spike nodded mechanically despite himself.

Mares cannot resist confidence and power.

“They can't?”

Neither of which you possess.

Spike slumped and stared at the ground. “Oh. Right.”

But I can help.

“Yeah, look how much you helped the last time.”

I know of a way that will make Rarity unable to resist you ever again. She—no—all of Equestria—will be your oyster, waiting to be consumed.

“How?”

Therein lies the hint: Consume me.

“What?”

Dragons eat gems, do they not? Consume me, and all of your wishes will be fulfilled...

Spike stared at the diamond and started to salivate. Those facets, those perfect cuts, those flawless edges. He could not imagine how delicious it would be. “I haven't eaten a good diamond in years.”

Go ahead. Take a bite. You will not regret it. That I promise...

Spike, lips trembling, reached out and clutched the diamond. He opened his mouth, bringing it close. His body moved of its own accord. His stomach growled and rumbled with anticipation. He extended his tongue and licked one of the facets. Pleasure rippled through his taste buds.

A loud snort came from behind him. Then a scream. “Spike, no!

In one quick motion, Spike shoved the diamond into his mouth and bit down. The diamond shattered into myriad splinters that surged down his throat. He convulsed, tilting his head upward. His mouth opened, and a jet of black fume belched from it. All feeling fled his limbs as they shook and rattled about.

Spike roared. An invisible shock wave of the diamond's negative energy shot out in all directions, hitting the walls and rebounding into the centre of the room, forming a cyclone around him. All the room's furniture, bed and all, flew off the ground, whirled around him, and smashed into smithereens against the walls, floor, and ceiling.

A burning sensation filled him, as if he had swallowed a litre of molten lava. The feeling surged up, searing his brain. He roared again as his eyes rolled madly in their sockets. The heat within him grew hotter and hotter until he felt like he would explode.

Then, like a pewter snuff upon a flaming candle, the fire within him fizzled out, replaced by nothingness. He collapsed onto his back. Through his failing vision, he saw Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie rushing into the room before everything went black.