• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 21,333 Views, 477 Comments

We will catch you if we can - proto-alpha



When put against a whole new race, a human must keep on running for the sake of his freedom

  • ...
98
 477
 21,333

Meet the rest of the gang

POV of Fernando

After I got away from Fluttershy, I noticed some things. First that I'm not that far from the train station. Second that I showed myself to the ponies of this city, and finally, the group of five winged stallions coming towards me. I could only react in the most normal way to my situation. I made the most threatening kung fu pose I knew. That at least stopped them.

"What are you doing, human?" asked one of the pegasus.

"I'm defending myself in a way that I shouldn't" I responded in my best evil voice I could do. That didn't help.

"Yeah, right. You expect us to believe what you say after what happened in the Crystal Caves?" another guard responded

"No, I hope for your own good to believe what I'm saying" I wasn't that confident now. "Damn it, I need to think of something quick" and the only thing I could think about wouldn't trick anything "It might just anger them, but if they're blinded by the rage I could loose them easily" so now to my not so brilliant plan.

"Now come with us without tricks" the same guard said.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked thinking this was a bad idea.

"To meet Princess Celestia" He answered.

"Who?" was my response

"You met her yesterday in the Crystal Caves" another guard said annoyed.

"Where?"

"The caves were we found you!" answered another guard, losing his patience.

"When?" I noted that there was smoke coming from their ears.

"YESTERDAY!" the last guard yelled

"What happened yesterday?" that did it, because the guards immediately jumped to catch me shouting as if they were about to kill me out of rage, but they bumped into each other for jumping at the same time. I took that to my advantage to get the hell out of there, seeing as they could probably do that if they calmed down just enough.

I went directly to the train station, hoping that they didn't see me coming in this direction, and immediately jumping in what I thought was the luggage cabin. Of course, when no one was seeing me. Then waited for the train to get going.

Third person POV

After Spike sent over the letter to the princess, the group that was leaded by Twilight went to the train station to return to Ponyville.

"How could that human get away from you, Fluttershy? You could have used the 'stare' and it would be over by now this whole ordeal!" Rainbow Dash yelled at Fluttershy while the yellow pegasus just kept saying that she was sorry.

"It doesn't matter now, Rainbow, he would just get away like the other times" Twilight told her while trying to stop Fluttershy from apologize unnecessarily.

"What are we going to do now? We don't know were he is by now" Spike asked to the other three.

"For now," started Twilight" We're going back to Ponyville for the others. Then we'll separate in groups to investigate in other cities. With luck, we'll find him before the start of the autumn".

They arrived at the train station, bought their tickets for the train and boarded the one that was going to Ponyville. Little did they know that their target was in less that twenty meters away.

After some hours of the trip, the train finally started to stop. The ponies and dragon had their lunch in the train, but for our protagonist it was other story.

"I'm starving" he said while holding his stomach. When the train started to brake, he wasn't prepared so he fell and hit some rather hard looking suitcases.

He was the first to get out of the train, exiting from a window of the side of the train contrary to were everypony exited. He then started to run to a close by alley, careful so he didn't show himself.

"So, now where do I go?" he thought as he walked slowly trough the shadows.

It wasn't long before he saw it. A house made entirely of every kind of desserts known to him, but his fantasy was short lived when he saw ponies going in and out from the building.

"It must be a house or something... but investigating never hurts, right?" with that thought in mind he approached the building when he was sure no one was near. He reached his hand to take a bit of the window. It was almost on his possession when suddenly... pink.

"Hi!" yelled a pink mass in from the window.

"Aaah!" yelled the human as a response while falling backwards.

"I'm Pinkie Pie, who are you? Also, what are you?" the pink pony asked the human while grinning

"My name is Fernando, and I'm a human" responded the human still trying to process everything

"I've never see you before. I guess you're new and that means that you're gonna have a 'Welcome to Ponyville' party!" Fernando's eyes shot open at this.

"Sorry Pinkie, but I can't be in any parties because... because... eeeh..." he saw how Pinkie was gradually turning more opaque from her normal pink "because I don't know anyone here" he said with an awkward smile. Apparently that was enough for Pinkie because she returned to normal

"Don't be silly, I'm already your friend, and I'm pretty sure the rest of Ponyville will be your friend too by the end of the day, after all, that is what 'Welcome' parties are for" she said very happy.

"Sorry Pinkie, but I can't because... I'm... a secret agent!" he told her trying to not have the party.

"A secret agent?" asked Pinkie very surprised

"Yeah. I'm investigating why... the... uhm... the things do that" he said with a bad poker face

"What things do what?" asked Pinkie suddenly very suspicious of him

"Exactly. The HQ wants me to investigate what the things are and what do they do"

"Oh, then it will be extra hard to complete your mission" Pinkie Pie said concerned for her new friend. Then acquired a thinking pose "Wait. My friend Twilight can help you! She's very smart after all" Pinkie said with a grin. Fernando got nervous at the mention of that name

"Twilight? As in Twilight Sparkle?" he asked slowly

"Yeah! How did you know?" She asked him with the same grin

"Is just that... we... made a bet... Yes, a bet. She against me" the human responded

"Okie doki loki!" Pinkie Pie seemed satisfied with the response

"I have to go now, good bye!" he then walked away and immediately hided out of others sight.

After escaping from the pink mass of sugar, Fernando made his way to the outskirts of the city walking along what he supposed was a forest of apple trees. Then he remembered something important

"I still don't have lunch, right?" he got his response from his stomach that growled as loud as a lion. He then turned to the apple trees "I'll just take one" he said out loud. He reached for one from a low hanging branch and took it. When he bit it was as if he had tasted the heaven. "Best apple ever!" he shouted.

Back with the HHT, Twilight had told the others to go get their friends.

"Rainbow, you go and get Applejack; Fluttershy, you go for Rarity. I'll go for Pinkie Pie"

"I'll go with you Fluttershy" said Spike eager to see his crush.

Twilight arrived at Sugar Cube Corner and searched for Pinkie Pie. It was a slow day for the shop because contrary to other days, you couldn't smell the pastries that were just out of the oven. Pinkie wasn't behind the counter, but Mrs. Cake was.

"Where is Pinkie Pie?" Twilight asked to the mare

"She is up there in her room" Mrs. Cake answered

"Thank you" she then went upstairs, to the room that the Cakes rented to Pinkie Pie. She knocked at the door and somepony said from inside

"Come in!" Twilight did so and she greeted her hyperactive friend

"Hello Pinkie Pie"

"Hi Twilight, why are you here? You should be investigating" Pinkie Pie responded, she had the conversation still in her head. For her, something wasn't right. In her own words, or thoughts: "Something is wrong with that guy, I mean, why would he give me all of that information? *mental gasp* He wants me to tell Twilight about all of this so she gets confident so he can win the bet. Ha, well, that won't work!. Twilight just watched her as she did facial expressions that matched her thoughts.

"I came for you. We need your help to catch a human that escaped from the princess. We don't know if he is dangerous or not, but he is very tricky". Twilight told her after she stopped herself from staring at her friend.

"Wait, the name of the human is Fernando?" Pinkie asked with a face of a sudden realization. Twilight shook her head in 'yes' way. "And he's not a secret agent?" now Twilight shook her head but to say no. "How could he do that to me!"

"Calm down Pinkie, after all, he thinks that he is going to be put in a cell if he is caught" Pinkie thought about it and calmed down

"But what happens after we do catch him?" at this question Twilight just sighs

"We put him in a cage" Pinkie Pie smiles

"Oh, so we're putting him under custody?" the unicorn just stared

Back at the road out of Ponyville, Fernando was staring at the sky from bellow of some of the trees. He felt a chill in the back of his neck some time ago and he was unnerved by it. Unnoticed for him, a spot that was just a little darker that the sky moved a little slowly. That was our favorite pride fueled, rainbow-maned pegasus. She was flying slowly because like Fernando, he felt a reaction, but of pure anger. She said darkly to herself

"I know you're there. You can run, but you can't hide". She scanned the floor while flying, but because of the trees she didn't saw him.

Rainbow Dash arrived at the house of the apple family just when the sun was starting to set and knocked at the door. Applebloom was the one to answer the door.

"Hello Rainbow Dash, are you coming to see my sister?" greeted Applebloom.

"Yeah, kid, is she at home?" asked Rainbow

"Yeah, I'll call her" answered Applebloom. She took a big breath and shouted loudly enough as to leave Rainbow Dash deaf if she was some centimeters closer "APPLEJACK, RAINBOW DASH IS HERE!"

Applejack came after a while a little annoyed for her sister's shout

"Applebloom, how many times do I have to tell you that this house is not that big and that you shouldn't shout that loud? You'll end up annoying the neighbors!" Applejack scolded her sister.

"What neighbors?" asked Applebloom confused

"Exactly!" she returned

"So, what's up RD?" she asked, finally talking to her friend

"Yesterday Twilight, Fluttershy, Spike and I went to Canterlot because the princess had called us, she told us about a creature called 'human' that she wanted us to capture. The human was smarter that us and got away, so now we need to search for him all over Equestria"

"Wait, wait, wait... Are you telling me that some random animal is more intelligent that THE Twilight Sparkle?" Applejack said a little humored

"It's not funny!" answered Rainbow Dash angrily "He made me do the explanation of the Wonderbolts just to escape!" Applejack just laughed.

"Whatever you say" the farm pony said after calming herself "I'll come with you. It's clear that we need strength against this 'human' guy. But wait, how does human look?" she asked Rainbow.

"First of all, he is a human, and his name is Fernando. He walks on two legs, is bald all over, except for the head, and that's all I know. Now let's go to the library" Dash said before darting to the library.

"Thanks for waiting for me!" shouted Applejack sarcastically, and then she started to trot to the library.

Applejack was trotting through the usual path when she saw something a little strange. She saw two strips of what looked like clothes hanging from a tree. On further examination, they looked like they were moving on their own, and it only got windy in Sweet Apple Acres when it was about to rain, or in Zap Apple season. She observed the sky and it was a bright orange. No cloud on sight. So she went up to the tree and she saw something very strange. A creature with claw-like extremities was up there, but what called her attention was the fact that it was eating one of her apples.

"Hey you! Just who do you think you are!" She shouted to the creature, that turned to see her and looked a like he was getting nervous.

"I'm just someone that happened to be hungry" he tried to say as calmly as possible.

"But why do you go and eat MY apples from MY family orchard!" Applejack responded angrily.

"Oh, crap!" he thought "Sorry, I'm new here and I didn't know the owners, but I'll pay for them" he said in an apologizing tone "So, how much is for two apples?"

Applejack stared at him for a moment trying to figure if he really just ate two apples. After a while she said "It will be four bits" at this the creature (that we know is the human) took out four coins that he hopped were the things called 'bits', jumped from the tree and landed not so gracefully on the ground. After he stood up he handed over the bits to Applejack.

"Here are your bits" he said.
The pony stared at him a little and then questioned him

"Sooo... you walk on two legs?" he just stood awkwardly there feeling uncomfortable

"Yeah" he answered

"And you're bald all over your body except for the head?" this set off the alarms on Fernando's head but he tried to play it cool

"Yeah, what about that?" he looked at her while contemplating his possibilities of getting out of the danger. Applejack just turned her head to hide a mischievous smile.

"Oh nothing, just curiosity, something that my friend Twilight seems to have. You might know... her? Oh come on!" She shouted while starting to catch up with the human.

POV of Fernando

I saw my chance when she looked in other way. The advantage was short lived, but it worth it. While running I could hear her yelling at me

"You know, when somepony turns to hide any kind of smile you're supposed to patiently wait!" Yep, I pissed her off with this.

"Maybe here, but not from where I come from!" I yelled back at her.

It wasn't good, she was catching up to me very fast and I was growing tired. Making a zigzag through the trees helped, but only a little.

"I can't try to be one with my inner monkey was my thought after contemplating swinging in the branches of the trees, but it dawned over me. I jumped while still running and took an apple from one tree. I look back and I think that pony knows what I'm about to do.

"Oh no, you wouldn't do that" but I dared to do it anyway. As strong as possible, I turn and launch it right at that pony's legs. The hit is strong enough to throw her out of balance, but she doesn't trips, but I'm ready. I then screech to an stop and stick out my leg in front of her.

Third person POV

Applejack saw what was awaiting for her, but she managed to jump over the leg.

"Did he really think that I would fall for that? she thinks while still in the air, but then, when she saw where she was going while still in the air she could only think one thing "Buck you". Applejack then hit a tree that was in her way with enough force to get stuck halfway through the tree. Fernando stood there as she struggled to set herself free and said

"Sorry for that" he then took another two bits from his pocket "here are the other two bits for the apple" he then ran away. To this day, Applejack still doesn't know if he was truly sorry or was mocking her.

Meanwhile in the Carrousel Boutique, Fluttershy and Spike had just arrived and had knocked at the door. Rarity answered from the inside

"Come i~n" Spike and Fluttershy did so. Rarity came from other room to greet them, wearing one of her extravagant dresses. "Oh, hello Fluttershy, hello Spikey-Wikey. What bring you two here today?"

"Hi Rarity, um... what are you wearing?" Fluttershy and Spike greeted at the same time and Spike was the one that made the question.

"Oh, this? It's just one of the designer dresses that I got today from my friends in Canterlot" she said gleefully "but by the looks of your faces I know that there is something happening, so what is it?

"Well... It's just a little problem" started to say Fluttershy

"Its one of the biggest crisis of Equestria!" interrupted Spike

"It's only a harmless creature" continued Fluttershy

"Called a human that is the smartest creature in Equestria" Spike again

"We have to convince him to come with us" Fluttershy

"We need to catch him for the princess for world security" Spike, exaggerating again

"He's not evil..." Fluttershy didn't even finished

"He's an evil master mind that we still don't know if wants to bring Equestria to the dark..." Rarity gave him a look of 'just don't continue' "he-he, sorry" he apologized.

"Now Fluttershy, what were you saying, darling?" Rarity asked, turning to her best friend

"I was just saying that this human is not evil or anything, but we really, really need to know why he is here"

"Don't worry, I completely understand the situation and I will be as mature as possible with this situation" she said with a reassuring smile.

"Thanks Rarity. I knew we could count on you" Fluttershy told her.

Fernando ran as fast as he could. He didn't knew where he would end, but he needed to hide quick. It was starting to get dark and he would need to pass the night in an alley again. Thankfully, the night helped to hide him better, but before it was fully dark there would still be at least half a hour of light.

He walked through the deserted streets of the town, searching for a possible hiding spot.

"Considering this is a small town, I don't think I might get a good enough sleeping spot." but everything he just needed to do was to think at new heights. "Let's try one of the rooftops!" he thought eagerly to try his new idea.

"This wasn't what I had in mind" he said quietly as he stood over the rooftop made out of hay. "Let's see if I can find a less angular roof" he thought as he scanned the building around the random house. He saw the town hall, but he could be easily spotted because it was in the middle of the town, he saw a giant tree, but it had a lot of windows so it probably was a home or something. But then he saw it. It was a carrousel themed building, but what called his attention was that at the very top the was what looked like a flat spot, and best of all is that it was covered with a little roof. With his mind set, he made his way to the building.

Fluttershy and Rarity were about to walk out of the boutique (Spike was floating) when they heard a big crashing soun followed by a shout

"Crap!" They quickly got out of the boutique and found a creature laying on his back by some trash cans "Note to myself, never try to climb walls with an inclination of ninety degrees"

"It's him!" said Fluttershy and Spike at the same moment

"The human?" asked Rarity

"Yes, it's him! We need to tell the others!" said Fluttershy frantically

"You go Fluttershy, I'll try to catch him" told her Rarity

"But, what about your dress? Wont it get damaged?" questioned Fluttershy

"It's just a dress, darling, now go!" Rarity commanded to the pegasus, that immediately went to the library.

"What about me?" asked Spike

"If this the human, then I'll try to be as persuasive as I can, but if things get out of hand then I'll need help" she told the dragon, who nodded in response. Then Rarity turned to the creature that just now was getting up "Ehem, good evening" Fernando turned to the source of the voice and saw Rarity.

"Good evening" he answered.

"My name is Rarity and I got notice that you are wanted by the princess. May I ask why?" she inquired. This surprised Fernando, because there wasn't any sign of doing this ONLY to win time.

"Well... It started yesterday, when I appeared in what I think you call here Canterlot Crystal Caves. I was confused and just wanted to know how to get home, but then I found this Princess Celestia that told me that they would put me under custody, but it's practically like getting arrested for doing nothing!" he could at last get that out of him at least "Then I get away and find out that there is a whole party of ponies searching for me! Now I escaped and after some other mishaps here I am". He ended

"Oh, but uuuh..." she silently asked for his name

"Fernando" he told her

"Yes, Fernando, you must understand the worries of the princess" she told him, trying to win him over

"And those are?" he asked her

"Well... they are... okay, I don't know, but you should at least try to cooperate" she said

"Just tell me this, am I gonna be studied or something?" he asked her while looking straight at her eyes

"Uhm... probably?" she answered with an unsure grin

"I'm out of here" he said as he turned to leave, just to trip and fall again to the trash cans. He felt something in his ankle and turned to see what it was. He saw it glowing a light blue. He then saw her horn and indeed it was glowing.

"My magic might not be as powerful as Twilight's, but I still can restrain you. Fernando got nervous. He knew he had heard another voice, and worse of all, a voice that he knew from somewhere. He had to think fast. He studied the mare and found her way of dressing a little strange, but he also noted that she kept herself very tidy. "Maybe she is one of those people obsessed with the looks". He grabbed something from the trash can that I won't dare to describe, and to the unicorn shock, he threw it at her. It was like seeing something in slow motion. Rarity was screaming and was paralyzed from the sudden turn of the things. Spike, who was hiding could only stare in confusion at Rarity's reaction.

When the garbage that Fernando threw landed on top of the dress, Rarity did an overly dramatic reaction and fell over. She couldn't resist it. Spike quickly ran between Rarity and the human and said as menacingly as posible

"If you dare to touch her, I'm gonna tear apart your entire... erm... claw?" he failed to name the thing that Fernando had in his arm

"Hand" the human said while holding up said member. He saw the look in Spike's eyes when he ran to defend Rarity. "You like her, right?" He asked to the dragon. Spike blushed and responded

"What does that has to do with this?" Fernando simply said

"I'll leave, but when she wakes up, and she probably asks what happened, you better tell her something like 'I did my best to defend you, but I couldn't stop the human from escaping. Sorry.' or whatever you want"

"Why are you trying to help me with this?" Spike asked confused

"Because I know that saying something like that will make her fall for you, or at least will get you some points". With that he turned to leave, but Spike told him before he left

"Thanks for the advise" after that, Fernando left

"He's not as bad as he seems, but he'll still get it when Rainbow and whoever he might have angered by now manage to catch him" he thought while taking Rarity with him, or trying, considering that she was three times his size.