• Published 27th Jun 2012
  • 21,333 Views, 477 Comments

We will catch you if we can - proto-alpha



When put against a whole new race, a human must keep on running for the sake of his freedom

  • ...
98
 477
 21,333

The trap'ed town

Twilight and Lyra entered the town hall, their friends were already there and Rainbow Dash was waiting for them to arrive.

"Good, now that we all are here, this is what we will do. First, since your magic is the best of this town," Rainbow Dash pointed to Twilight "you won't be part of the illumination. Instead of that, you'll be one of the main hunters and custodian of the human when we catch him"

"Okay, count with me!" the unicorn responded.

"Applejack, you and Pinkie will fire the pop rocks. Remember, you don't have to hit him, the explosions will do most of the work" they both nodded.

"Rarity and Lyra, you help with the illumination, and when we capture him, I want you, Lyra," Rainbow pointed directly to Lyra "to come back. You know more about his species and it's better that you stay close" They both agreed with the idea, Lyra with an eager smile of being close to the object of her secret obsession. "And Fluttershy" she turned to the last of their friends, who still was in her abnormal self "You have your animals help us, and after that you're free to hunt down that creature" Fluttershy response was to slowly turn her smile into a toothy grin.

"As for me, I'll be ready in the air with the weather team if he is spotted by the unicorns" she put her hoof in front of her, and the other ponies did the same in the typical team way.

Time was running short for Fernando while the dozen of ponies registered the train. There were three passenger wagons, the luggage wagon and the locomotive, so he would have to deal with at least two ponies if he was found.

"Let's see," Fernando thought while looking around "suitcases, suitcases everywhere" he quickly went to the bigger pieces of luggage and checked them for one that he could use. He found one that could hide him with some ease. It was a suitcase that stood vertically with the zipper going from the top to the bottom, and even if he had to crouch a little to fit in, it was what he needed for his plan.

He opened it with intent of getting inside, but the content, that only consisted of saddles, fell to the floor.

"If they see this, they'll guess my disguise right away" he thought while putting the saddles in the suitcase again, and then he got inside too, leaving the lower part open.

It wasn't long before three mares entered the wagon. One of them had a rose cutie mark, another one had two daisies as a cutie mark, and the third one cutie mark was hidden behind the other two ponies, but you could see that there was a lily flower on her head. Since the suitcase was a little old, the were some tiny holes that could let him see outside.

"If you find something suspicious," one of them, the one with the rose, told to the others "report it" the other two nodded and went to work.

Fernando watched silently while the ponies investigated the scene, and took advantage that when they weren't seeing in his direction to slowly move to the exit. Things got a little harder when one of them, the one with the daisies, came to the side of the wagon where he was. She was looking around and inside some suitcases, not knowing exactly what to search for. When she reached her hoof for the suitcase where Fernando was, he moved a little out of her grasp. She looked confused and tried to grab it again, but Fernando moved again. Now she was annoyed and tried successively to catch the moving object, only for it to move again.

She growled annoyed, but calmed herself and walked away while whistling... only to throw herself against the baggage. Fernando wasn't fooled and sidestepped her. She continued her way and crashed with a pile of luggage, her back legs sticking out. Fernando took this chance to move fast to the exit, readying himself to get out of his disguise and run to somewhere safe. He would have done that easily if the mare hadn't liberated herself from the suitcases and had already alerted the others about him.

"There, I think the thing Rainbow Dash told us about is in there!" her two companions looked to the moving piece of luggage and immediately lunged to it. Fernando, for his part, opened the zipper and jumped out of the suitcase, and ran to the door. He was tackled down by the pony with the lily, but he was able to shake her off and stand up again. It was when the three ponies got a good look at him that they stopped completely.

"Hey, isn't that the human that was supposedly captured by the princess?" asked the one with the rose

"Yeah, he is." responded the one that had the lily. The third pony gasped and then exclaimed

"He probably escaped thanks to Discord and is now his minion!" this made other two gasp too. One of them even said

"The horror! The horror!". While the three mares where being over-dramatic, Fernando was moving slowly to the exit, not wanting the attention to return to him, but one of them noticed what he was doing

"Hey, don't let him escape!" this was Fernando's signal to start running as if he was about to be put in a cage, and the ponies quickly reacted and were too running to catch him.

When Fernando left the train, he was seen only by one pony, who didn't waste time to point to him and say

"Hey, isn't that the human that the princess caught?" when he said that, every eye turned in the direction where the stallion was pointing. Fernando was unfazed by the attention and immediately started to round the train station building, quickly followed by the three ponies plus their other nine companions and all of the witnesses.

Fernando looked behind him and saw a mob closing in on him.

"Oh, come on! I think I should make a limit of ponies that can hunt me at a time!" he thought annoyed at seeing yet another mass of color chasing him.

Fernando made his way to the town, hiding in one of the first alleys he found that wasn't guarded with a magic beam of light, successfully losing his chasers. He took some time to calm himself down and think about his situation.

"Okay, so I'm in a military version of a town, guarded by unicorns that can hold me down from three meters away, pegasus that can take me from the sky, and normal ponies that far as I know are even stronger than horses from the Earth" he sighed when he finished his mental report and when he decided that no one was close, he took out his trusted glowing stones from his pockets. When he did so, all color was drained from his face.

All around him there were traps. From some as simple as a trip wire, to some actually dangerous consistent of a massive stone hanging mere centimeters above his head. All around him there were things that activated these traps, and if the technology would allow it, he was sure there would be lasers. With a gulp, he started to move around those traps, knowing why the alleys weren't guarded by ponies.

Meanwhile, at a cottage on the outskirts of the town, near the Everfree forest, Fluttershy was happily trotting to it. It was Fluttershy's cottage, home not only to her, but for many tiny animals too. Some of them were already sleeping and the nocturnal ones were very lively. They noticed Fluttershy from the distance and instantly were very happy. Inside the cottage, only one animal that wasn't nocturnal remained awake. It was Angel Bunny. He was by far, the most intelligent of the animals living there, and with intelligence comes a good memory, and because of that, he still haven't forgotten the feeling from several hours ago. He was was familiar with it. It was from when he met Fluttershy, and for now let's just say that those days were worst than when New Fluttershy was around.

When Fluttershy arrived, she was received with hugs from the many animals that were awakened by her presence and that couldn't remember the event, and those who did, preferred to show all the love they could give to their caretaker. Don't take them wrong, because they do love Fluttershy as a second mother, but right now, it was give love or something really bad could happen.

Angel was the only one that had dealt with her like this before, so he could resist. When she entered, he almost sighed in relief at seeing her happy, but then he noticed that wicked smile. The same that sometimes haunted his nightmares. He shuddered a little and felt really bad for the poor creature that would never be the same if fell into the grasp of Fluttershy.

"Hello my precious animals!" she said cheerfully "I'm sorry for disturbing the sleep of almost all of you, but I really, really need your help. A new and lonely animal was foalnapped by Discord, and he doesn't know that I... I mean we only want to help, so please, please, please help us, would you?" as predicted, all of the animals nodded, Angel reluctantly did so too, wanting to keep a close eye on Fluttershy for now. "Thank you very much!" she said, before walking back to Ponyville with more than a hundred animals ready to help. On the way, Fluttershy talked with them as much as she could, telling them about the castle incident and her sudden disappearance. They were surprised when she got to the part of the 'stare' failing, and Angel understood why Fernando was screwed.

Back at the alleys, Fernando had made his way through halfway the town, occasionally exiting to the streets, and being forced to sneak past the lights.

"This would be more entertaining if I could remember a similar scene from a movie and remembered the background music" he thought after crossing a street with two unicorns guarding it.

He crossed the alley he entered with as much caution as he could do to get past the traps. After a little more than thirty meters from the exit, he found a clearing without any traps, trip wires or anything, so he sat down to contemplate his situation.

"I can't go back to the station. They probably have set up a barricade or something" he thought.

"You could always walk all the way to Manehattan" Discord suggested. By this point of the story, Fernando wasn't surprised anymore with what Discord could do.

"Could you tell me something that doesn't take days?" the human responded calmly. Seeing that he didn't got the desired effect on him anymore, Discord frowned and turned away to entertain himself with the closest low-quality trap.

"Then," the draconequus started to say nonchalantly, "you could try to cross the Eveerfree forest. The trips between cities are long because most of the way consist of rounding it, but without powers like mine it would be suicide" he finished with a smug smirk while making a demonstration of his chaotic magic.

"It was a suicide too when I decided to climb the mountain were Canterlot was builded" Fernando countered, with his own smug smirk "also angering three of the ponies that constantly hunted me," he was referring to Rainbow, Applejack and Rarity "a full team of pony worker." he recalled the ponies at Manehattan "Did I forgot to include hurting a Princess' pride?" he would have continued but was stopped by Discord

"Okay, okay. I get your point. Look, there are two places with an entrance to the forest that are not impossible to cross thanks to the trees, and in those places there is enough poison joke as to infect the entire city of Canterlot". Fernando lifted his hand at that moment, "yes, inter-dimensional creature of the first row?"

"What is poison joke?" Fernando inquired

"I can't tell you that" Discord stated

"Why?" Fernando asked again

"Because that would take away the fun!" Discord answered. Fernando gave him a deadpan look and thought

"Well, then I'll find another way"

"It's not like I won't see you suffering in the next few minutes" Discord told him. Fernando arched an eyebrow and asked

"How do you know that?" Discord pointed to a dark part of the alley with maybe more than a hundred glowing spots and said

"Because there are at least fifty creatures there, and believe me, even here that's not normal" he said before disappearing in a fit of laugher.

Fernando put in front of him one of his glowing stones, and sighed in relief when he only saw tiny animals that could never harm him... or so he thought

"They're only tiny animals. This is by far their worst attempt" he thought humored. The animals, for their part, gave a battle cry and started to run to Fernando. He jumped when he heard them let out shouts too loud for their size, and thinking better, he started to run, or did what he could, because the traps were slowing him down and some of the animals were starting to climb him and were succeeding in throwing him out of balance.

Fernando wasn't really seeing his assailants, but judging by the furry tails, he could tell that they were squirrels.

Fernando was activating almost all of the traps, but thanks to the mess in which they were set, almost every trap failed, but it ended activating more traps. Fernando was trying to shake off the creatures that were clinging to his clothes while biting down on him, and he succeeded after some attempts. He didn't notice that in his rampage, he exited the alley and came to a street almost in the outskirts. It wasn't guarded, but a voice made him freeze on the place.

"Hello again, friend" said Fluttershy