• Published 6th Sep 2016
  • 7,563 Views, 282 Comments

Becoming Aunty Celestia - Skywriter



It is a well-known fact that motherhood changes a mare. In Cadance's case, it seems to be changing her into Princess Celestia.

  • ...
18
 282
 7,563

Part the Second

Luna collapsed to the floor, howling with laughter.

"Your Highness," said Shining Armor, squeezing his eyes shut in irritation.

"Yes, yes, of course," said Luna, getting her hooves under her and wiping away a tear or two. "Let's begin exorcising your demons."

"Shiny," said the phantasmal Princess Celestia in his phantasmal bed, "what's going on over—" and this is as far as she got before she was smacked in the face by a bolt of coherent blue-white energy from Luna's horn. Celestia let out a sharp, surprised yelp and promptly evaporated. Nothing remained of her but a wisp of sparkling smoke.

Silence ruled the bedchamber. Luna's eyes were wide and gleaming.

"Well!" she said, eventually. "I guess that's done!"

"I guess so," said Shining Armor, uneasily eyeing Luna's expression.

"So this is a recurring nightmare, yes?" Luna asked, her face unnervingly keen. "Have it every night, do you?"

"This is only the second time, but—"

"Wonderful!" Luna exclaimed, leaping on Shining's words as though she wanted to eat them. "You just keep having this dream, and I shall show up every time you shriek for help! Then I will blast my sister in the face and everything will be fine. You have nothing to worry about!"

Shining edged backward toward the bedroom wall, not at all sure about the factual truth of that last part. "Um, sure," he said. "Your Highness. If I might ask, though, isn't there something where you're supposed to teach me some life-lesson so the nightmare actually goes away?"

"Yes, you're right, of course," muttered Luna, squeezing her eyes shut and pressing her hoof to her face. "Duties." She cleared her throat. "Shining Armor, hast thou any unresolved issues in thy life that might have sparked this terrible dream?"

"I thought you could peer into the past of ponies' waking lives."

"There were complaints," said Luna, briskly. "Now we must rely on the subjective reports of the victimized. So, anything?"

Shining glanced floorwards for a moment.

"This is in strict confidence, right?"

"Of course!" Luna bellowed, knocking over an imaginary lamp.

"Well..." said Shining. "Lately, Cady has been acting a little... strange. Nothing I could put my hoof on before today."

"Strange how?" Luna asked, leaning forward.

Shining faltered, made a few false starts, and then decided to call a spade a spade. "She's starting to act like Princess Celestia."

Luna's eyes narrowed. "I see," she intoned, tapping at her muzzle with one silver-shod hoof.

Shining found himself waiting for laughter that was not immediately forthcoming. Steeling himself, he dedcided to bring on the pain sooner rather than later. "Silly, right?"

"Not at all, subject," said Luna, pensively. "Indeed, 'tis a matter of ponderous import. These personality changes suggest that young Cadance is beginning to bloom into full alicorn flower. Your spouse, dear Shining, is experiencing Alicorn Pubescence."

"That sounds... icky."

"Far from it, Shining Armor. It is a beautiful, natural process that must be navigated very carefully."

"So it's beautiful and natural, but dangerous?"

"Yes, Not unlike a stretch of class five rapids. Possibly terminating in a picturesque waterfall." Luna frowned. "More there is to say, but there is no time for it now. Meet me in my old observatory above the Castle of the Two Sisters."

"Respectfully, ma'am... can't you tell me now?" Shining squinted away a sudden migraine, and lifted a hoof to rub an aching shoulder.

"I fear not, Shining Armor," said Luna, as the wall began to waver behind her. "This dream fades quickly."

"What? Wait!" Shining cried, as the walls of his bedroom began to stretch and elongate.

"No time!" Luna said, fading into the distance. "Seek me in Everfree! Seek me in Everfreeeee..."

Shining grappled at the fabric of the dream as the world dissolved into a tunnel of spun colors that pulled him forward towards an increasingly brilliant white light that grew closer and closer and

* * *

Shining Armor woke. This time, he did not scream, for he had a purpose.

* * *

The morning sun was bright and pitiless through the glinting walls of the Crystal Citadel's Winter Garden. Her Royal Highness Princess Cadance was busily tending the Empire's encyclopedic collection of delicate subarctic flowers, the lolling, babbling form of Her Royal Highness Princess Flurry Heart strapped securely to her back in a brightly-colored Mommy's First Saddle. The Empire's winter garden operated on a principle inverse to most other winter gardens one might encounter. Instead of sheltering delicate warm-weather plants from the bitter cold, the Empire's garden served as carefully-regulated cold-house for the frost lilies and ice irises and all other sorts of tundra flowers that could not otherwise withstand the blistering gentle warmth being spat out by the Crystal Heart. She sang quietly to herself as she tended the wabe surrounding an odd, spiky-looking sundial installed at the center of the garden.

"You've come... such a long, long way..."

It was into this scene that Shining Armor stepped, a frown of determination fixed on his muzzle. He walked grimly toward his wife and infant daughter, hooves crunching against icy crystalline gravel.

"Honey," said Shining Armor, "we need to talk."

"Certainly, My Faithful Husband," said Cadance, smiling at him with reserved, calculated warmth. She continued to polish the sundial's odd red-and-black gnomon with a chamois held gently in her telekinetic aura. "And I've watched you... from that very first day..." she absently sang.

The garden feature caught Shining's eye and he struggled to remain on-message. "I, um, just had a chat with Her Royal Highness Princess Luna."

"Oh, Lulu!" said Cadance, delightedly, causing Shining to twitch. "How is she?"

"She seems fine, but listen, something's come up. We need to make a lightning trip to Ponyville."

Cadance turned around, startled. Her sudden movement caused Flurry Heart to loll in the saddle, putting her in hoofreach of the sundial. The heir apparent to the Crystal Throne instantly began inspecting the sundial for things she could put into her mouth.

"Ponyville? But I have machinations to attend to here! I can't possibly spare the time!"

For a moment, Shining nearly relented. There was in Cadance's words enough of her Royal Canterlot Wife Voice to fill Shining with proper husbandly terror.

"Well," he hedged, "I mean, we could look at the calendar. Put it on the schedule..."

"Bah," Flurry Heart advised. Her tiny questing hoof brushed against the gnomon of the sundial. There came a sickening green-black flash, and the baby's eyes glowed red. "Buh," she intoned in an unnervingly stentorian manner.

"Honey...?" Shining asked, as his daughter pulled her hoof away with a confused expression on her face. "What's... what's that on the sundial?"

"Oh, that?" replied Cadance, pivoting around. "That's King Sombra's horn, from after I exploded him. The Long Scouts discovered it on one of their patrols." She frowned. "Did I forget to inform you or anyone else that that happened?"

Shining clenched his jaw. "Why is it sitting in the middle of our garden?"

"Oh! I thought it might be a good idea to install a physical remnant of a defeated major adversary in the middle of a popular public space without even a word of either explanation or warning. After all, what harm could possibly—"

"Ponyville," said Shining Armor. "Now."

"But—"

"Now," he repeated, igniting his horn. In a flash of arcane energy, he encased his wife and daughter in a transparent pinkish force globe. Ignoring the twinge of headache that always accompanied any over-extension of his power, Shining squinted his eyes and poured everything he could into the shield, fully expecting some form of magical retaliation from his god-tier alicorn bride.

After a few moments, he unsquinted his eyes. Cadance was just... standing there? She didn't exactly seem to enjoy the experience of being encased in Shining's force field, but neither was she moving to try and dispel it.

"Darn it! I've been rendered completely powerless and helpless all of a sudden! I mean, I know I protect the Crystal Empire and am personally responsible for the administration of the power of love throughout all Equestria, but this is a force field!" She sighed, heavily. "Welp, guess I'm beaten."

"Bah," said Flurry Heart, casually annihilating Shining's force globe. Shining frowned. The Fledgling's Forbearance incantation that Official Royal Crystaller Sunburst had prescribed for Flurry Heart had worked like a literal charm at first, dampening the foal's particularly problematic magical surges. Unfortunately, in recent days, its intensity had been creeping up to the point that it had begun to wipe out magical auras and spell effects from the baby's immediate surroundings, not just from the baby herself. Prior to today, this had been entry #1 on the list of weird and concerning magical things happening to his immediate family, but it had recently been bumped down to #2. Shining lifted the filly off his wife's back, placed her gently on a bed of lamb-ear, and reestablished the globe.

"Ponyville," Shining repeated.

"Oh, well!" Cadance babbled, as Shiny began to drag her out of the garden. "I suppose it has been a long time since I've checked up on Twilight and all her studies..."

"Justify it however you want, but we clearly need this trip." And then, quitting the conservatory, he added, "My future sanity depends on it."

All was quiet in the Winter Garden for five minutes.

Then Shining galloped back in, plucked his baby up from the lamb-ear, and galloped back out.

He had a train to catch.