• Published 9th Sep 2016
  • 7,510 Views, 187 Comments

Fool's Gold - Cardinal Dan Productions



When a patrol of Royal Guards finds an infant changling while exploring the Frozen North, one pony decides take the abandoned shapeshifter in and raise it as her own daughter.

  • ...
18
 187
 7,510

Untold Stories: 2

***Hail to the Chief***

“Are you alright, Sadri? You look nervous...”

That was an understatement. School foals moments from taking their final exams got nervous. Sadri wasn’t a school foal, and she wasn’t nervous.

She was shaking visibly in her hooves. “Is it that obvious?”

Gypsum nodded sympathetically towards her wife and offered her a reassuring smile. “I just don’t know what he’ll do, what he’ll say...”

Sadri looked up at last, meeting Gypsum’s eyes. “It’s been so long since I’ve seen him.”

Gypsum raised a hoof to Sadri’s cheek and guided their lips together. The kiss seemed to settle the golden domina a little. “He’s your father, Sadri. There’s nothing for you to fear. If anypony should be afraid, it’s me. How will I know he’ll accept me as your wife?”

Sadri shook her head. “He’s my adopted father. I’m a domina, remember? He found me as a filly, after my people were driven from Equestria or killed off by Princess Celestia. He raised me like his own daughter, never realizing what I really was...”

Gypsum smiled at her. “It still sounds like he loved you.”

Sadri opened her mouth to speak, but she was interrupted by village warrior. The pony poked his head through the curtain that draped over the door and cleared his throat. “Lord Mond will see you, now.”

Gypsum shot Sadri a weird look. “Mond? You never told me his name.”

The mare in gold ushered her after the warrior. “This village worships Princess Luna and her moon. Every chief changes his or her name to something related to the moon.”

Accompanied by the village warrior, they exited the hut and crossed the settlement grounds. Gypsum’s head was like a swivel as she took in everything her eyes could see. All around them, ponies stared in awe, some even whispering amongst themselves as they watched Sadri. All the mares could hear were the crackleing flames from torches that illuminated the dirt floor.

The warrior in front lead them past open center of the village, a sacred place Sadri hadn’t set hoof in many years, not since she began her sinister plot to marry Twilight Sparkle and conquer Equestria. Memories came flooding back to the party where she proposed to the purple princess. They sang, danced, and laughed the night away. Tears came with the memories, but Sadri sniffled them away, not wanting her new wife to see. Twilight was a thing of the past, and Sadri had Gypsum to love and cherish.

At the edge of the village center, a large hut stood tall, towering over the rest of the forest settlement. It was the point of village government, the home of the chief. Sadri knew he was waiting for her, her father. The last time she had heard anything from him, she was being placed in the custody of the Crystal Empire for the crimes she had committed against the princesses. She had been told by Princess Cadence that her father condemned her actions and disowned her, casting her out. Her heart ached knowing how he must have felt about her, the sheer amount of grief and disappointment must have shattered his image of her.

The village warrior turned to them both. “You may enter, but mind yourself in the presence of Lord Mond.” His eyes fell directly on Sadri. “Any hoof that falls out of line will result in your immediate execution.”

Sadri’s eyes narrowed. “Noted...”

Two more warriors emerged from the grand hall and lifted the curtains, allowing Sadri and Gypsum to walk inside. There was only one room, though it was a very long one at that. Rows of burning touches stretched all the way down the hall until they reached a throne at the other end, and a great dinning table occupied the center. Then, the golden mare saw him, her father, sitting on his throne. Even across the great hall, she could see the scowl on his face, the look of seriousness that was enough to put the fear in anypony that disagreed with him.

Sadri let out a low breath.

Then, she began walking forward, leaving Gypsum by the door. As she made her way around the table, every step she took grew heavier and heavier. The torches burning all around seemed to be glowing brighter, and the heat radiating from their flames caused the domina to sweat. When Sadri finally came to a stop in front of the throne, she kept her eyes glued to the floor and bowed graciously. She bowed before her father so low that her snout almost touched the ground.

Without lifting her head, she spoke, her words coming out shakily like she was on the verge of tears. “Father... I... I’ve come home...”

When she finally looked up, Lord Mond had stood from his throne. He now towered over her, displaying a powerful presence throughout the hall. Sadri sniffed back her tears. It took everything she had to hold them back.

All around her, village warriors were ready to take action at a moment’s notice, but Sadri was powerless in her father’s shadow.

Without saying a word, the scowling chief lunged forward.

Sadri’s eyes widened, and she winced, expecting the worst to come. Her father’s hooves fell over her, pulling the golden mare into a tight embrace. When she felt her father’s chest pressed against hers, Sadri let out a sharp gasp.

“My child... I’ve never been so happy to see you...” She was paralyzed, and words she tried to form simply got caught in her throat. “The day you left us broke all our hearts, but now you’re home again and our village is restored...”

Tears were streaming down her cheeks now, and Sadri began to sob into his neck. “Y-Y-You st-still love m-m-me?”

The chief pulled away, looking her in the face while wearing the biggest smile she’d ever seen. “My child, I never stopped loving you...” Then, he noticed Gypsum standing by the door, who had tears in her eyes as well as she watched the reunion. “You, outsider! Approach!”

Gypsum looked timidly at the warriors who prodded her forward, but she did as Lord Mond commanded. “Father, this...” Sadri left his embrace to stand by the shaking mare. “... this is my wife, Gypsum.”

The look on his face changed in an instant. “Well, the mare who has encapsulated the affections of my daughter is welcome in my village any time!”

Then, he took Gypsum into his hooves the same way he had done to Sadri, hugging her tightly and earning a snicker from the domina.

When the chief released her, Gypsum returned to Sadri’s side dazed. “Whoa, what a grip...”

The chief was circling the hall now, like he was trying to find some outlet to expend his energy. “This is wonderful, my daughter and her wife... Sadri, you and Gypsum must stay for dinner.” He turned to a warrior. “Quick, get cooks and have them prepare a feast, something worthy of Princess Luna herself.”

Sadri pursed her lips as she watched. “Father?”

He didn’t appear to be slowing down, though. “Round up all of the villagers. Everypony must attend the welcoming ceremony.”

“Father.”

“Tell the gardeners to prepare floral crowns for my daughter and her wife.”

Sadie stomped her hoof hard, startling everypony in the hall. “Father!”

They all turned to face her. Now that she had gotten his attention, Sadri approached the chief with Gypsum by her side. “Actually, father, we were actually hoping you would allow us to stay... forever...”

Lord Mond looked puzzled. “You... wish to stay?”

Sadri nodded her head. “Gypsy and I gave it a lot of thought, and I’d youre willing to have me back permanently, we’d both like to stay...”

The chief blinked once, then twice.

Then, he reared his head back and roared with laughter. “Of course you can stay, my child! You and your wife are both welcome members of the Blackstar Tribe. Now, come! There isn’t a moment to lose! The moon is high and the night is young, so let’s start this celebration before the sun rises.”

He dashed past them and exited the great hall, leaving Sadri and Gypsum alone by the throne.

Gypsum turned to her wife and smirked. “Well, I can certainly see where you get your charm and humility from.”

Sadri bumped her flank against her wife’s and let out a sweet chuckle. “Quiet, you... Let’s make sure he doesn’t hurt himself running around like that.”

Together, they too exited the great hall, not as outsiders, but as family. Sadri and Gypsum were finally home.

***The End***