• Published 9th Sep 2016
  • 7,509 Views, 187 Comments

Fool's Gold - Cardinal Dan Productions



When a patrol of Royal Guards finds an infant changling while exploring the Frozen North, one pony decides take the abandoned shapeshifter in and raise it as her own daughter.

  • ...
18
 187
 7,509

Part 13: Fitting In

It wasn't easy for Sadri to sneak onto the train. Royal Guards were posted everywhere, and they knew her face. To her current disappointment, she was pretty, so it was hard to forget her. Sadri found an unguarded boarding platform where several ponies that worked on the train as cooks and maintenance staff were loading supplies for the voyage. Using her charm and the persuasive power of her voice, she sweet-talked the ponies into letting her on the train, and that was the end of it.

Now, she was walking through the different cars, just looking for a place to sit. It was going to be a long journey to Canterlot.

Sadri didn’t expect the ride to be comfortable, but she was relieved to find an empty seat. She sat down, choosing to remain next to the aisle, rather than the window. If she needed to make a quick escape, she wanted to be able to run without having to jump over anypony or push them out of her way. As other passengers passed her by, she kept her head down, keeping her eyes glued to the floor and sinking in her chair.

Sadri hoped no pony there would make a big deal over her golden fur. She already stood out enough as it was, having no clothes to cover herself with, but her shimmering coat of fur made her stick out like a shining star. Other ponies around her were bundled up in their winter attire like overcoats and hats, making the golden mare more and more jealous. Sadri had neither, making her look even less inconspicuous.

Outside, she could see guards running past the train, and she sunk further in the seat. The train’s whistle sounded, and a feeling of relief washed over the her. The whistle meant the train would be departing soon, allowing her to put the Crystal Empire behind her for good. To her delight, the train groaned as it lurched forward. It began to crawl along the tracks as it pulled out of the station, leaving the platforms and city for the more open country. Within moments, they were out of the city completely and barreling through the snowy wasteland, down south towards Equestria.

Everything was finally going her way, and Sadri began to relax a little. Her thoughts turned forward, towards the gala and Twilight Sparkle.

She longed to see her ex-wife again, to explain to her how terrible she felt about the things she did. The ponies were wrong about her, she felt. They accused her and her race of feeding off of lust. That wasn’t true at all. The domina race fed off of passion. Sometimes, that might have included sex, but they preferred intimate passion over the animalistic behaviors associated with lust.

Without either, Sadri felt starved. For over a year, she had been kept in isolation with no passionate connections, and as a result, she felt weak and deprived of her former strength. She’d feel better once she was reunited with Twilight. All of that would change once she managed to explain everything to her dearest love.

There was a gentle tap on her shoulder.

Sadri jolted slightly and looked up, coming face to face with the pony she met on the street, Gypsum. The mare scowled and narrowed her eyes at the sitting pony. “It is you…”

***

When Phasmid came to, she had an aching in her chest and all over. Her body felt broken, but after how far she had fallen, she was amazed she was still breathing at all. Covered from head to hoof in mud, twigs, and leaves, she let out a loud groan. It didn’t feel like normal pain, but it hurt just as deeply. The pain felt like it was coming from within her.

Her little changeling, Azalea, was out there somewhere, and so was Cicada. Phasmid knew she needed to find them both. There were quite a few things on her mind that she needed to share with Cicada…

With her full strength returned, Phasmid looked up towards the the train tracks high above, and she stretched her tattered wings. She took a step forward, preparing to take off towards Canterlot, but there was something else on her mind too. Phasmid needed to find Amethyst, the pony she fought on the train. The changeling stretched her tattered wings and gave them a few ‘test flaps’.

Without taking a running start, she leaped into the air and began to climb. Dodging through tree limbs and overhanging branches, Phasmid broke through the thicket and fire out of the forest, climbing higher and higher into the blue sky. Up in the air, she took in a deep breath, savoring the feeling of the cold wind as it engulfed her body. Then, she looked south, towards Canterlot.

Squinting her eyes, she could just barely make out the grand city on its mountainside perch. It would be a long flight, several hours, but Phasmid felt like a new mare, reborn. For the first time since she was hatched, she felt free of Queen Chrysalis and free of the hive. After she spoke to Amethyst and Cicada, she would be flying to the Crystal Empire to find her filly, now known as Pyrite, and this time, nothing would get in her way.

***

Sadri looked up at Gypsum, her eyes wide with horror. She’d been caught. All the pony had to do was yell to alert any guards that were on the train.

Gypsum glared at the mare in gold before reaching into her saddle purse and revealing a ticket. “That is my seat.”

Sadri’s heart was racing, but she managed to focus on the ticket, conforming that it had the same number as the seat she was currently sitting in. “Y-Y-You… You’re not going t-t-to turn me in?”

Gypsum looked to her left, down the aisle, and to her right, up the aisle. Then, she faced Sadri again before nudging towards the window. “No… Now, move.”

Sadri complied, taking the window seat and allowing Gypsum to sit by the aisle. Silence filled the void between them as the train hummed along. The silence was eventually broken by Gypsum, who let out a frustrated sigh. “I can’t believe this… Of all the trains, of all the cars, of all the seats, you had to be here.”

Sadri folded her hooves across her chest and fired the mare a cold look. “How was I supposed to know, huh? I just want to get to Canterlot…”

Gypsum rolled her eyes. “Everypony here wants to get to Canterlot, you golden fool. That city is this train’s only stop and final destination. The gala is tonight, and no pony wants to miss the party.”

Sadri’s ears began to burn, and her face turned red. The pony beside her had gone from cold, to rude, to outright insulting. “‘Golden fool’?!”

Gypsum wouldn’t even meet her eyes. The mare kept her gaze fixed on the mountains outside of the windows across the aisle. “Careful, darling. The guards might hear you if you’re too loud.”

Sadri’s ears folded back, and she shrunk visibly. Her chest swelled with anger at the pony’s condescending tone. She had called her ‘darling’, of all things. Part of Sadri was beginning to seriously dislike the mare. In the back of her mind, she considered moving to find another seat, somewhere on the train that was far away from Gypsum.

“Why don’t you just turn me in, if you hate me so much?”

Gypsum finally looked towards her, meeting her gaze. “Believe me, I’d love nothing more than to set the guards on you and see you apprehended for whatever crime you committed, but I don’t want any trouble, and…” She let out a long sigh. “… it seems to follow you everywhere you go.”

Both mares looked towards the door up ahead as it opened suddenly. A staff member of the train entered the car, slowly walking through the aisle as he checked the passenger’s tickets. One by one, the ponies revealed their passes to the pony as he checked them off a list in the cloud of his magic. “Tickets, please.”

With each moment that passed the pony got closer, and Sadri realized she didn’t have a ticket. She would be found out as a stowaway, and the guards would surely catch her then. Gypsum must have been thinking the same thing, because a sly grin crossed her lips. Sadri figured that was what the pony wanted all along, for her to get caught by the ticket collector.

Then, something happened that Sadri could not have possibly anticipated.

Gypsum turned to face her and placed a firm hoof on the golden mare’s upper leg. “I have an idea, but you have to play along and do exactly as I say.”

Sadri was beyond confused. “I don’t understand you, Gypsum. Are you helping me now?”

She didn’t answer. Instead, the pony held hoof to Sadri’s lips, cutting her off and frustrating her even more. The staff member was almost upon them, just a few seats ahead. Gypsum fumbled through her saddle purse, looking for her own ticket.

As the staff member approached them, she pulled the ticket out and held it up for him to see. “Ticket, pl- Oh, thank you.”

He sounded pleased by her quick response, but his eyes then turned towards Sadri. “Ticket, please.”

Sadri couldn’t believe she was putting her trust in Gypsum. Before she could open her mouth to say anything, Gypsum addressed her own ticket a second time, showing the staff member the silver seal in the top, left corner of the ticket. “Actually, sir, mine is a double, for myself and her.”

Sadri cocked her head but kept her mouth shut, only managing to nod quietly as he looked over Gypsum's ticket again. “Madem, this seal is for married couples.”

There was doubt in the tone of his voice, but Gypsum didn’t break character. She took Sadri’s hoof in her own and pulled the golden mare in close. “We’re engaged, actually. We were just on our way to Canterlot to visit my relations to share the good news. The nice stallion that sold us the ticket was happy for us and told me it didn’t matter that we weren’t quite yet married.”

Sadri couldn’t believe what she was hearing. The mare was a fool to think the staff member would fall for it.

He looked at his list and the ticket, his eyes darting back and forth between them both. Then, he scribbled something on his list and passed the ticket back to Gypsum. “Alright, madam. You two enjoy the ride. We should be arriving at Canterlot within six hours. Feel free to enjoy the dining car.”

Just like that, he was gone, continuing his rounds as he checked everypony’s tickets.

Sadri quickly retracted her hoof from Gypsum’s grasp and eyed the ticket she held. “What was that about?!” She spoke in a hushed voice. “We’re engaged, now?!”

Gypsum pointed towards the seal on the ticket and bared her teeth. “I’m the one who’s engaged, fool. At least… I was before today…” Her hard glare softened, and her eyes fell to the floor. Gypsum sniffled as she fought back the tears that were trying to escape her eyes. “It doesn't matter anymore… Once I get to Canterlot, I’m going to stay there. The empire has nothing left for me.”

Sadri was still right next to Gypsum after being pulled closer during their encounter with the staff member. She gently touched the mare’s hoof, startling her. “Maybe you can talk to me about what happened?” She wasn’t any good at counseling heart-broken mares, but after having her own share of emotional distress, she felt sorry for Gypsum. “Did your fiancé cheat on you?”

Gypsum sniffled as she shook her head. “No… I cheated on him…” Sadri was surprised by her response. “I was a terrible mare… I cheated on my fiancé and when he found out, it shattered his heart.” Her eyes were already red as the tears ran down her cheeks. “He gave me back his ring and took everything he owned out of our house in the span of an hour. I haven’t heard from him since… I can still remember the look in his eyes… all of that anger and sadness…”

Sadri didn’t know what to say. She could only hold onto Gypsum’s hoof and let the mare vent. Her tears trickled down her cheek and fell onto Sadri’s fur. She cried softly into Sadri’s shoulder before falling asleep in her hooves. The golden mare simply sat there, unable to move as she stroked Gypsum’s mane.

***

Amethyst longed for her daughter, but she was too far away, somewhere in the Crystal Empire with Emerald. She wasn’t worried by any means. Emerald would take care of her and keep the little trickster out of trouble. She just missed her baby.

Amethyst briefly thought about how far they had all come. From the moment she had found the little changeling in that cave to now, so much had happened. They had defeated Queen Chrystalis twice and changed the hearts of two ruthless changelings, showing them the magic of friendship and love and just how powerful it could really be.

She smiled at the thought and made a mental note to thank Princess Twilight, if she ever saw her. It was the princess that let her keep Pyrite when Shining found out, after all.

“I’m sure she’s perfectly fine.”

Amethyst jumped and looked over her shoulder. Onyx was standing behind her, still drying hisbmane with a towel as he stepped out of the shower.

She looked at him with disbelief. “How could you possibly know what I’m thinking about?”

The stallion smirked as he pulled her in for a quick kiss, planting his lips on her cheek. “I know that look, Amy. Your nose scrunches up whenever you’re thinking about Pyrite. It’s kinda cute, but super obvious.”

Amethyst’s nose twitched as she became aware of her actions. Onyx was right. Was she really that easy to read? She held her hoof up and wiped her damp mane out of her eyes. “Alright, stud, you got me. Are you gonna arrest me?”

Onyx shook his head. “Nah, I didn’t bring any cuffs.”

Amethyst beamed at him, earning a silly laugh from the stallion. Other than the impending party at the palace, all she cold think about was the wedding, the greatest moment of her life that would permanently cement her relationship with Onyx. She loved him with all of her heart, and it took rescuing a baby changeling and blowing herself up to realize it. When Amethyst realized she had been staring, she quickly turned away and hobbled towards the sofa.

Onyx joined her in time to help the crippled mare sit down. Without her prosthetic leg, every mundane task was a struggle. “We have the day to ourselves.” He took her hoof in his as they sat together. “Until the gala, we can do anything. We could see more of the city or find a show to see with our friends. I’m sure Amber would be game.”

Amethyst nodded her head in agreement. “That sounds like a good idea. Are you going to carry me?”

Onyx chuckled as he held her close. “You can still walk and you know it.”

Amethyst was about to say something witty in return, but she was interrupted by a knock on the door. Somepony outside pounded their hoof into the door vigorously.

“Housekeeping!” It was a stallion’s voice. He announced himself again. “Housekeeping! Is anypony home?”

Amethyst and Onyx shared awkward glances. Neither one expected to be disturbed. “Did you call anypony?”

Onyx shook his head. “No… Did you?”

After Amethyst shook her head, he stood up and left the sofa, striding towards the door. She could see the door from where she was sitting, but she could hear it open, followed by a short conversation between Onyx and the stallion at the door.

“I have a delivery for a… Captain Amethyst.”

The mare’s ears twitched. Something about his voice sounded strange, almost familiar, but Onyx wouldn’t let him inside. “Amethyst didn’t order anything either. You must be mistaken.”

Amethyst looked over her shoulder, craning her neck to see the stallion at the door. He looked back at her and smiled. “It wasn’t Amethyst’s order, it was Pyrite’s.”

Then, she heard it. It was as though the entire room had lit up.

A little changeling filly came sprinting into the room, right under the stallion’s legs. “Mamaaaaaaaaa!”

At the sound of her daughter’s voice, Amethyst’s eyes widened. She opened her hoof as Pyrite came storming around the sofa, stopping briefly in front before leaping onto her. “Mama! Mama! Mama!” Amethyst cried as Pyrite nuzzled her neck affectionately.

Onyx was completely stunned. “I… I don’t understand…” He turned to face the stallion. “Pyrite was under the care of another guard, Emerald. Why isn’t she with him?”

Then, a green spark appeared beneath the stallion, and flames consumed his body, revealing Emerald himself. “She never left my sight, sir.”

Amethyst was so overcome by joy that she broke down completely. Tears poured from her eyes as she held her baby in her hoof, tight against her chest. Pyrite was equally thrilled to be reunited with her mother. Onyx and Emerald watched in silence from the door as the scene unfolded. Without any form or disguise, Pyrite huddled aghast her mother and began to calm down.

Amethyst dried her cheeks and played with the changeling’s messy mane that was beginning to grow more and more. Her little queen was growing up.

By the door, the silence was broken when Emerald cleared his throat. “I got on a train this morning, after I heard about what happened to you guys. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you when Chrysalis attacked.”

Onyx smiled sadly. “It’s alright, Emerald. You did nothing wrong, but I’m glad you’re here.” He kept his eyes forward as he spoke, at Amethyst and Pyrite. “Amethyst is without her leg, and Gem can’t fly. Having another able-bodied guard is just what we need right now.” He turned to face Emerald. “Does Amber know you’re here?”

Emerald shook his head. “No… Not yet, anyway. I want to surprise her at the party. I can go, right? I can go to the party?”

Onyx nodded his head. “Of course… I’ll talk to Shining and see to it that you get a pass.”

The stallions walked into the room and sat with Amethyst and Pyrite. When the captain saw Emerald, her smile expanded. “Thank you for bringing her to me.”

The changeling felt his chest swell with fulfillment as he gave her a short bow in return. “What can I say, captain? She has your fire.”

Amethyst knew what he meant. He was talking about the fire in her heart. Ever since she had adopted Pyrite, the two of them became inseparable. Because of the bond they shared and they love they felt for each other, nothing would ever keep them apart.

***

Sadri kept her eyes on the city of Canterlot as the train pulled into the station. Next to her, Gypsum fished a comb out of her bag and began pulling small tangles out of her mane. When they came to a complete stop, a loud hiss escaped the train as clouds of steam drifted by the windows.

They had arrived.

Around them, ponies were collecting their things as they prepared to disembark. Sadri has no belongings, but as she tried to stand, she realized she was blocked in by Gypsum. The crystal pony was still trying to fix her mane, regardless of the fact that it looked flawless.

Sadri tapped her hoof gently. “Um… Excuse me…”

Gypsum looked up, meeting her gaze before turning red and quickly putting the comb away. “Oh, I’m so sorry…”

The mare stood and entered the aisle, allowing Sadri the room to follow her. Together, they walked down the aisle until they reached a set of steps that lead to a boarding platform.

Once outside the train, Sadri was able to stretch her legs to their full extent, and it felt good. It wasn’t until she had shaken the soreness off of her that she realized Gypsum was still standing beside her. Surrounded by the steam, the mare she had met in the Crystal Empire suddenly threw a hoof around her and pulled her into an embrace.

Sadri was too stunned to protest, but as the seconds passed, she allowed the hug and raised her own hoof, patting Gypsum’s back. “Thank you for listening…” When she pulled away, she sniffled softly as she looked into Sadri’s eyes. “I’ve been bottling that story up, and I just needed to let it out.”

Sadri understood her all too well.

She had her own fair share of relationship problems, though hers might have been a little more diabolical than ‘cheating’. Sometimes, sharing your problems with somepony could make all the difference in the world, but Sadri couldn’t bring herself to tell Gypsum about her own past, how she married Twilight Sparkle to dominate the other princesses and take over all of Equestria and the Crystal Empire.

That was only the short version, anyway. The longer version was so much worse.

Sadri extended her hoof towards Gypsum, who took it quickly. “I guess I’ll see you around…”

Gypsum nodded her head as she shook the golden mare’s hoof. “Yes, perhaps…”

Sadri felt she had nothing left to say to her new friend. She retracted her hoof, and began to back away. The guards of Canterlot would certainly recognize her, so she still needed to find some clothes, maybe even a wig, if she was going to get anywhere close to Twilight.

“Rather... If you don’t want to leave it to chance, maybe we could agree to see each other again at the gala?”

Sadri stopped and spun around. When her eyes met Gypsum’s she saw something stirring inside. It wasn’t her own work… It couldn’t have been. Sadri knew what a pony looked like when under a domina’s influence, and for Gypsum, this was not the case. In her emotionally vulnerable state, Sadri could tell that the pony had become attached to her, of her own free will.

Gypsum was a wreck, and in her deprived state, she had sought after the first pony to show her any kind of affection. Sadri pitied her. That pity wasn’t enough to stop her from backing away from Gypsum, though. She had her own problems, and she didn’t need some lovesick mare holding her back.

Sadri needed to find Twilight, and to her, that was all that mattered. She shook her head as she turned away from Gypsum, showing the mare her back. “I’m sorry, but this is where our paths end.”

Then, without so much as a ‘goodbye’, she took off, leaving Gypsum alone by the train. Sadri didn’t look back. She couldn’t. The longer she stayed with Gypsum, the more she might find herself becoming attached, and that was something she couldn’t allow.

Her heart belonged to Twilight.

As she ran through the city, no pony paid her any attention. She passed by numerous restaurants and galleries. Even though the day was still young, the entertainment district of Canterlot was buzzing with activity, especially one well-lit building with great, flashing lights. As she passed the building, Sadri could hear the low beats of music playing inside. It must have been a dance club of some kind, but after catching a glimpse inside through the open door as the bouncer allowed a pony to enter, Sadri realized it was much, much more lewd of an establishment. The place peaked her curiosity, but she silently reminded herself that she needed to keep moving to avoid being spotted by a vigilant guard.

Up ahead, Sadri spotted a tailor. The building was just as crowded as the club she had passed before. Ponies like her must have been rushing to get their outfits together for the gala at the last minute, minus being a fugitive criminal. Sadri felt her luck had come at last.

The crowd would give her cover from the authorities, and she might be able to make off with some clothes to help her sneak into the gala. It was as good of a plan as any. Sadri was running on fumes at this point. She didn’t even know what to do when she actually confronted Twilight. All she knew at the moment was that finding her ex-wife was her top priority.

As Sadri approached the tailor, she began to rehearse. Muttering to herself, she repeated what she assumed would be the start to a good apology. “Hey, Twilight, I… No, that’s too informal… Hi, Twili… No… This is hard.”

Sadri stopped and looked towards the sky. “My love? My dearest?” She didn’t expect a response from the clouds. “I’m sorry for… everything…”

She had a lot to apologize for, and for the first time since she broke out of her prison, she began to wonder if Twilight would even forgive her. The longer she thought about it, the more doubt began to creep into her mind. Sadri couldn’t even forgive herself for doing the things she did.

Her hooves were moving on their own, leading her closer and closer towards the entrance of the clothing store. With her magic, Sadri opened the door and walked inside. A blast of warm air hit her, and she immediately began to melt. All around the golden mare, ponies talked happily amongst each other as they shopped and tried on the vast arrangement of dresses, gowns, and suits.

Sadri wasn’t picky. Anything would do. All she needed was a single dress, and without any money, she would have to steal one. She hated the idea, but it was the only one she had. She began to eye the dress closest to her and she calculated how quickly she could run once she grabbed it.

“Excuse me…”

The golden mare jumped as she spun around, coming face to face with a tall stallion in formal, black attire. It became aware to Sadri that he worked at the place. “I just noticed you looking around, and I was wondering if I could help you find something.”

The tone of his voice was sincere, and there was no evidence that he was suspicious of her. Sadri began to relax a little as she brushed her mane out of her eyes. “Yes, um… I’m actually looking for a dress for the gala.”

The stallion laughed, earning a light frown from Sadri. “Ha! You and everypony else in here, m’lady.” He saw the look on her face and quickly cut his laughter. “I… don’t mean to tease, but I’d be happy to help you.”

The gears in Sadri’s head began to turn, and she thought of a way the stallion could help her. She lost the frown and gave him a sweet smile. “Yes, you can…”

Sadri reached to her left and pulled the closest dress off of the rack. It was nothing special and inexpensive, but it would cover her nicely and, to Sadri’s liking, it looked kinda cute. “I’ve already picked out the dress I want, but…” Her eyes flashed subtly, dazzling the stallion. “… perhaps you’d like to help me… try it on?”

Lost in her shimmering eyes, the stallion could hardly formulate words or complete sentences. “I… Um, well… Th-The… The fitting room is…”

Sadri stepped closer, closing the distance between them. In the crowded store, no pony paid them any attention. “I’ll put it on for you… If you like the way it looks on me, would you consider buying it?”

The stallion was in her clutches. He nodded his head before leading her to the closest fitting room. Part of Sadri felt satisfied knowing that she was still a powerful domina and skilled in the art of seduction. The other part of her wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible.

As nice as the stallion looked, males were not in her preferential taste. Inside the fitting room, with the door closed, Sadri made no attempt to put on the dress. Instead, she bit into the fabric in preparation to keep herself from moaning aloud as the stallion mounted her from behind. The whole time, she kept her eyes toward, glued to the wall with her mind on Twilight.

Twilight was all that mattered.

***

Phasmid landed in Canterlot completely out of breath and a broken mare. Never before had she flown so far without so much as a bite to eat. Needless to say, the changeling was starving, but a disguise was her priority. The local authorities wouldn’t take too kindly to a changeling waltzing around the city.

After following the tracks for miles, Phasmid had landed on the train station. Below her, dozens of ponies shifted around as they boarded and disembarked their trains. The crowd and the noise it created gave her an abundance of ponies to copy. She only worried if she would have the energy to change her looks. Using any kind of magic was difficult on an empty stomach.

Then, there was the scar on her chest. That would be impossible to cover up, no matter what she did to change her appearance.

Her gaze drifted towards the city before her. Azalea, her little charge, might have been out of her reach, but she could still find Amethyst. If Cicada had really been telling the truth, which Phasmid found unlikely, then Amethyst was the one pony she could trust to reunite her with Azalea. Phasmid wasn’t a fan of the ponies, but at this point, she was out of options. She had no money to ride a train, and flying was out of the question.

She had to find Amethyst.

Luckily, her nose worked just fine, and she quickly picked up the scent of the pony she had encountered on top the train. Amethyst had the stench of a wounded animal. Phasmid leaped from the top of the station down onto the platform. Staying close to the wall, in the shadows, she inched forward.

A mare stood up ahead with her back turned.

Phasmid watched the pony for a few seconds before closing her eyes. In an instant, she assumed the form of the pony that stood before her. The freshly disguised mare then made her way past the pony that had unintentionally helped her and towards the city.

***

Sadri didn’t know how much time had passed, but she was certain that the stallion behind her was finished. It had been ages since she gotten intimate with anypony. She’d be lying if she denied enjoying it in the heat of the moment, but hooking up with kind stallion’s wasn’t her reasoning for being in Canterlot. The store associate fell off of her rather clumsily, apologizing over and over again. He seemed as though he had just come out of a trance, but in his case, it was Sadri’s influence.

The golden domina was just happy to give something in return for taking the dress she needed for the gala. “Don’t worry about me, my dear... I just need this to be paid for. Can you do that for me?”

She batted her eyes sweetly as she turned to face the stallion. In the close quarters of the fitting room, their exhausted breaths hit each other as they recovered from the session they had endured. “I... Of course, m’lady, anything you say. Will... Will I see you again?”

Sadri planted a quick kiss on his cheek. “Thank you, but I won’t be coming back. I can’t explain, but you’re not the pony for me.”

The look on his face caused her chest to hurt. She couldn’t think of anything else to say, so she quietly slipped past him, leaving the stallion alone in the fitting room. All the while she walked towards the exit of the store, she kept reminding herself that it was all for Twilight.

Everything she did was for Twilight. All of the crimes she committed and the hearts she broke were for Twilight. Then, for the first time, she did something completely irrational.

Sadri doubted herself.

For so long, ever since she had been defeated and thrown in prison, she had been longing for Twilight Sparkle, and now, she wondered if her ex-wife was even worth all of the trouble she was going through. What did the princess even mean to her? Sadri shook the thoughts out of her head. She couldn’t give up, not now, not when Twilight was so close. Everything she was worked for was finaly coming together.

The palace was almost within sight. Memories began to resurface, ones Sadri would have preferred to forget. She would never forget, though. Her past would haunt her forever, but she knew that didn’t have to stop her from having a future, one that included a happy ending. Still...

Sadri didn’t want to run into any princesses on her way to Twilight that might resent her return to the palace she once tried to overthrow. Up the grand steps she climbed, straight towards the palace. The gala hadn’t yet started, but a large gathering of ponies had formed around the entrance, making it easy for her to slip inside without being noticed by the guards. Her gown fit better than she had originally anticipated, and thanks to the time she spent with the stallion in the fitting room, her mind was a little clearer.

A few ponies stopped to stare in awe at Sadri’s beauty, mares and stallions alike, young and old. The golden mare blushed with a sense of pride and modesty as she brushed past them quickly, not wanting to draw too much attention to herself. After walking around, investigating ballroom after ballroom, Sadri came to the conclusion that Twilight had not arrived yet. She figured the princess would show up eventually, but waiting was not her strong suit.

It’s what nearly drove her insane during her time in prison. Sadri was out of options, though. It looked like she would be forced to enjoy the gala a little before she could have a chance to confront her former lover. As she glanced towards the tables full of food and sweets, part of her believed it wouldn’t be too bad.

***

The gala was only a few hours away now. Amethyst was on the edge of her seat, both literally and figuratively. Onyx, usually the voice of caution and reason in their relationship, was also giddy with excitment and unable to control himself. Like the rest of his fellow guards, he had never attended the Grand Galloping Gala. They had only heard stories, tales of the magic that happened when thousands of ponies gathered in the capitol of Equestria for the biggest party of the year.

Emerald was in the bedroom resting with Pyrite. The both of them needed their naps after the long journey from the Chrystal Empire.

Sitting on the sofa in the common room, Amethyst tried hard not to look towards the clock on the wall to her left. Her dress was sitting on the coffee table in front of her, and she wanted nothing more than to put it on.

Onyx warned her against it, though. By dressing herself too early, she ran the risk of messing up the gown before the party even started.

“What are you thinking about, Amy?”

Amethyst shot him a weird look, not even realizing she must have had a pained expression on her face. She let out a gentle sigh and held a hoof to her forehead. “I... a lot of things, Onyx... There’s the gala, our wedding, getting Pyrite to start school...”

Onyx rolled his eyes and smirked. “It’s a daycare, Amy, not school. It’s like magic kindergarten. She’ll be learning her shapes, colors, and a little magic, of course.”

Amethyst smiled at the thought. Here she was, being the mother she never though she’d be a year ago. “Do you think she’ll show off in front of the other foals?”

Onyx raised an eyebrow. “Who, Pyrite? Absolutely. She’s your daughter, after all.”

Retaliation was swift, and the mare’s hoof connected with his ribs, hard. Onyx groaned as he rubbed the sore spot. “Ohhhh... Well, don’t ask questions if you don’t like the answer you get...”

Amethyst grinned mischeviously as she leaned into his personal space. “It was just a love tap, babe... Look, we’ve got a little time to kill. How about you and I...”

With one hoof draped around Onyx’s neck, the other fell slowly down his chest. The sergeant glanced quickly towards the closed bedroom door, confirming that the coast was clear. By the time he turned his gaze back to Amethyst, her hoof had already reached its target. “I... I, um... Amy, we already showered earlier...”

It was a pitiful attempt at a protest. They both knew there wasn’t anything he could do to stop her from getting what she wanted. Just as Amethyst was started to get a little more aggressive with her hoof, she was interrupted by a knock at the door.

Visably annoyed, Amethyst shot up from the sofa. Onyx stood and followed her to the door.

More bothered than ever, the captain swung the door open. “What is it?! What do you want?!”

It was a mare, one much shorter than the towering guard.

She shrunk at the sound of Amethyst’s angry tone. “Is... t-t-this the room of Captain Amethyst?

She looked like a concierge. It was probably a routine checkup, a means of refitting the room with fresh sheets, clean towels, ice, and other commodities. Amethyst suddenly felt bad for taking her frustration out on a pony only trying to do her job.

She was about to let the mare inside, but Onyx stopped her. He saw something, a faint flicker in the mare’s eyes and a hint of green. Then, the mare at the door bared her razor sharp teeth. “Amethyst, get back!”

Onyx grabbed her from behind and yanked the startled captain inside. The mare leaped through the door as he guards retreated to the opposite wall. A spark at her hooves roared into a green flame that burned away any trace of the pony, leaving behind the blackened form of a horrifying changeling. She had a deep and jagged scar across her chest and fury in her big, pale eyes.

The guards prepared themselves to fight, but without her leg, Amethyst was unable to stand. She leaned against Onyx for support as they stared down the advancing changeling. “You... have no idea, pony, what I have been through in order to find you.”

The changeling stopped at the sofa. It was then that the guards realized she wasn’t there for a fight, but Onyx didn’t raise his horn.

Amethyst cocked her head to the side as she met the changeling’s cold gaze. “You’re... here to see me?”

Then, the insect-like mare looked over her shoulder, and with the magic from her horn, she revealed something long and metal.

Amethyst gasped, and Onyx’s eyes widened. “Is that...”

The captain shook her head. “It can’t be...”

The changeling threw a prosthetic leg at Amethyst’s hooves. It was battered, scratched, and filthy, covered in mud, twigs, leaves, and who knows what. It was a prosthetic leg alright. It was Amethyst’s leg.

Onyx was speechless, but Amethyst found her voice. “I don’t... I can’t beileve this... I lost that leg on the t...” Her voice trailed away as she put two and two together. “You! You’re the one who ripped my leg off!”

The changeling rolled her eyes. “So ungrateful... I brought it back, didn’t I? It’s payment.”

Amethyst wanted to scream. She wanted to punch the smug changeling right in her snout. Luckily, Onyx was there to hold her back. “What are you talking about? Payment for what?”

The changeling didn’t make eye contact with him. She kept her gaze fixed on Amethyst. “You have something of mine, pony, and you’re going to take me to her.”

Amethyst stood defiantly. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t even know you!”

A door opened, and everypony was dead silent. Emerald stood in the door leading into the bedroom with Pyrite by his side. The little changeling looked up at Amethyst and the larger changeling, her eyes full of confusion.

“Mama?”

***

In another wing of the same building, Gem was fixing her mane. Her eyes were situated on herself as she stared down a mirror. Nickel approached her from behind, having just emerged from the bathroom.

Gem caught a glimpse of him through the mirror. “Are you ready for tonight, Nick?”

He smiled sheepishly and nodded. “Yeah... This is something I’ve been looking forward to for a long time. It was always my dream to attend the gala, my brother’s too.”

Still focusing on her mane, Gem raised an eyebrow. “Brother? I think you mentioned him once. How is he, nick?”

The stallion shrugged. “We only met last night. I figured it wasn’t really that important. Besides, he died last year. It’s not exactly something I like to share on the first date...”

Gem frowned but kept her eyes forward. “I... I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bring up something like that. You don’t have to continue.”

Nickel shook his head. “It’s alright, Cicada. You’re my fillyfriend, so you deserve to know.”

Gem winced at the sound of her real name, but Nickle knew about her and who she really was, so she let it slide. In all honesty, she didn’t want to know about Nickle’s family if it brought him pain and discomfort, but she kept her mouth closed.

“He was a guard at the Crystal Empire. The guy always looked up to me, his big bro, so he enlisted and joined the Royal Guards, but he died not long after.”

The room felt a little colder. Gem set her comb down and turned to face Nickel. “Nick, I’m really sorry to hear about your brother, but I just don’t-“

A powerful bolt of magic hit her square in the chest, sending Gem flying back and into the wall. The mirror shattered against her back, causing her to cry out in pain, but she couldn’t yell. A cloud of magic covered her mouth, silencing her as Nickel closed in with a fire burning in his eyes. “You don’t remember him, do you Cicada? You don’t remember what you did to my brother?”

His magic closed around her neck, squeezing tightly. “You broke his neck, just like this...”

He choked her harder, causing Gem to lose her pony form. “You murdered my brother, and then you ate his corpse... leaving me nothing to bury!”

Her mind was a mess. Cicada couldn’t think or breath, but she did remember. She tried to spit out the word as she gasped for air. “E... Em... Emerald?”

Nickel let out a roar and slammed her back against the wall, causing the broken pieces of glass to cut into her back. “Don’t say his name! Don’t you dare say it! You don’t deserve to...”

The stallion dropped her, hard. On the floor, Cicada coughed and wheezed furiously. “I’m going to kill you, Cicada, and when I’m through with you, I’m going to finish off Mantis, the fool masquerading around as my brother.”

The changeling’s eyes widened with horror. “No! You can’t!”

Nickel looked down at her with disgust. “This is the end of the line, Cicada.”

Then, his hoof connected with her head, knocking the changeling out cold.

***Up Next: The Greatest Night***