• Published 7th Sep 2016
  • 4,396 Views, 218 Comments

Luna and her Woona - Teyeson Bee



Luna Lovegood finds a mysterious creature called "Woona" in the Hogwarts forest, and Woona has taken quite a liking to her. There's only one thing for Luna to do; be her Mama!

  • ...
10
 218
 4,396

Dumbledore's Permission

As Luna hurried through the castle doors and up the grand staircase, she caught the eyes of several students as she passed. Though she faintly heard gasps and murmurs about Woona, she didn't waste any time to explain. Even some of the portraits on the walls and ghosts were glancing at her, their eyes directly on the small creature she was holding. Woona, all the while, was looking around at everything she could take in, her big, curious eyes darting left and right, up and down. Her mouth was in the shape of an O with surprise and at the new surroundings. Her curiosity was broken for a second to squeal slightly at the sight of Nearly Headless Nick, the Gryffindor House ghost, as he floated nearby. After that though, Woona started to get used to seeing ghosts and just went back to eyeing everything with awe.

Luna had just arrived on the third floor when a small group of Slytherin students were walking towards her, talking among themselves. Not paying attention to them, Luna accidentally brushed one of them as she passed.

"Hey, Lovegood! Watch it!"

Luna stopped and turned around. The Slytherin that she had brushed was 6th year, Draco Malfoy, a rather stuck-up student. He was with his friends, Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle, and Pansy Parkinson, who were glaring at Luna along with Malfoy.

"Sorry, Draco," Luna said, bowing her head slightly with apology. "I was just going to-"

"Hold on," Malfoy interrupted. It appeared that they were no longer glaring at Luna, but gaping at Woona, who was looking at them with a tilted head. Malfoy sneered and pointed at her. "What the blazes is that?"

“This is Woona,” Luna replied, though rather coldly from Malfoy’s look of disgust, as she pulled Woona closer. “She’s an alicorn. I found her in the forest.” Malfoy let of a snort, which was followed by a chuckle from Crabbe and Goyle. Pansy, on the other hand, didn’t laugh. On the contrary, she stepped closer, eyes full of wonder, and leaned down to look Woona in the face. She stayed there for a second before Woona gave a cute giggle and waved happily to Pansy.

“Aww!” Pansy squealed delightfully as she clutched at her heart. “She’s adorable!”

A gruff, forced cough broke the moment as Pansy looked behind her to see Malfoy glaring at her annoyingly. Wiping the smile off her face, she backed away from Woona to behind Malfoy and muttered, “Well she is!”

Malfoy ignored her and continued on Luna. He stepped forward, but only slightly and gazed upon the tiny alicorn in Luna’s arms, who smiled sweetly. Malfoy leaned back in disgust.

“Ugh,” he sneered as he continued to glare at Woona. “I can’t believe you would bring that dirty thing into the castle! Wouldn’t be surprised if it had rabies.” Luna’s brow furrowed and she opened her mouth to retort. Before she did, however, Woona stuck her tongue out and blew a raspberry right at Malfoy, who flinched backward with shock.

“What the-” Malfoy spat, recovering his posture. “Did that thing just blow a raspberry at me?” Luna nodded with a smirk as Woona stuck out her lower lip in defiance. Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy tried to hide their snickers from Malfoy, but failed, and received dirty looks from him.

Malfoy turned back to Woona and growled, “Dirty, little monster!” He then reached into his robe and pulled out his wand, pointing it directly at Woona’s head. Woona let out a terrified squeak and buried her head against Luna’s chest, her hooves covering her eyes. Within a split second, Luna had used her free hand to retrieve the wand out of her pocket and pointed it angrily at Malfoy.

“Draco! Don’t you dare!” she scolded. Malfoy’s arm didn’t lower as he stared daggers from Luna to Woona. Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy had all taken a step back, not knowing what was going to happen.

“What’s all this then?”

The strict, familiar voice echoed around the corridor. The Slytherins jumped at the voice, but Luna stood her ground and calmly put her wand back into her pocket. Professor McGonagall, head of Gryffindor house and Deputy Headmistress, was walking up to them from behind Malfoy. Her lips were pursed and her eyes were glaring at the students from behind her spectacles.

Malfoy quickly shoved his wand back into his robe and turned around just as McGonagall made her way up to the group.

“Professor! Lovegood brought in a creature from the forest!” Malfoy said quickly.

“What’re you talking-” McGonagall stopped when she looked at Luna, or, more specifically, what she was holding. Her eyes suddenly grew wide as she drew closer to Luna. Out of curiosity, Woona peeked her head out from behind her hooves and looked up at McGonagall. The two stared at each other as the students watched on. Finally, McGonagall spoke.

“Upon my word!” She sounded intrigued as she examined Woona closer. “What is that?”

“Professor McGonagall,” Luna said suddenly, “I need to speak with Professor Dumbledore.” McGonagall straightened up a bit, rather annoyed that her question was not answered. She raised an eyebrow as she studied the student. Luna continued. “It’s a matter of Woona!”

McGonagall raised the other eyebrow. “Woona?”

“This little one,” Luna replied, holding up Woona to the professor’s eye level. Woona squeaked a bit, but didn’t squirm. “Woona, this is Professor McGonagall.”

Woona stared at McGonagall for a minute before giggling and happily shouting, “McGoggle!” McGonagall’s eyebrows shot straight up as she gasped slightly. She didn’t look frightened, but rather surprised. Woona, however, continued to smile and even stretched out to try and touch the professor.

“Please, professor,” Luna continued, “May I speak with Dumbledore?” McGonagall glanced from Luna, to Woona, to the Slytherins, who weren’t moving a muscle. It was clear from her expression that she was calculating what to do and what the right course of action would be.

Finally, McGonagall straightened up to her full height, turned, and started off down the corridor. Before Luna could wonder what was going on, McGonagall stopped, and, without turning around, said “Follow me, Lovegood.”

Luna smiled slightly and turned to follow. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Malfoy sneer and walk down the stairs, followed closely by the others. As Luna followed McGonagall down the hallway, more students and portraits turned to glance at Woona, who was smiling contently in Luna’s grasp and swaying her dangling legs back and forth. Both Luna and McGonagall paid no attention to the stares as they continued through the halls. McGonagall said nothing, aside from the occasional, “Excuse me,” to students in her path. Luna would glance down at Woona, who looked back up with a smile. At least she was having a good time.

Finally, McGonagall turned into an empty classroom. More technically, her classroom. She then stood in front of the opened door and motioned Luna inward. Luna complied instantly. As soon as she was in, McGonagall turned to leave.

“Wait in here please,” she said, and she was off again.

Luna looked around the empty room. She and the other Ravenclaws would be back in here on Monday for third period with the Hufflepuffs. She looked down at Woona again and smiled. Woona was whipping her head back and forth, hastily looking at all the new scenery the room had to offer, her eyes wide with curiosity. Chuckling softly, Luna walked up to McGonagall’s desk at the front of the room and placed Woona on top. As soon as Luna let go, Woona instantly stood up and walked around, still looking in all directions. She took a break from looking around when she saw the ink bottle and quill at the corner of the desk and leaned down to sniff it. She went too far though, as her muzzle disappeared into the bottle, only to be jerked up, completely black with ink.

Luna giggled as Woona wrinkled her muzzle. Her eyes went cross as she stared at the ink. Luna sighed as she reached in her pocket for her wand again and pointed it at Woona.

“Scourgify!”

A small jet of soapy water shot towards Woona’s muzzle and cleaned it instantly. Woona’s eyes widened again as she continued to stare where the ink used to be. She then looked back up at Luna, smiled, and trotted up toward her. When she reached the edge of the desk, she stood up on her hind legs and reached out for Luna.

“Uppie!” she squeaked.

Luna’s smile widened as she reached down and picked up the little alicorn. She then cradled her like a baby and started to tickle Woona’s tummy, which brought her into a giggle fit as she squirmed. Luna just couldn’t stop smiling.

“Don’t worry, Woona,” she said when Woona’s giggling finally died down. “Professor Dumbledore’s a good man. He’ll be able to help!” Woona said nothing, but tilted her head a bit, her eyes blinking innocently. Luna just took that as an understanding. After a few more minutes of waiting, the door opened again, and Luna straightened up. In walked McGonagall and following behind her, with a long beard of white and half-moon spectacles, was Professor Dumbledore.

“Hello, Miss Lovegood,” he greeted kindly after he had closed the door. McGonagall had placed herself next to her desk, her eyes glancing from Luna to Woona, and her face unreadable. Dumbledore, however, wore a casual smile as he walked up to Luna. Woona’s eyes widened as she stared at the man with the long beard and hair with a tilted, curious head.

“Professor, I-” Luna started, but Dumbledore raised his hand, stopping her immediately.

“Professor McGonagall has already informed me of your friend,” he said calmly. He then looked down at Woona and smiled sweetly. “Hello there, little one.” He reached out his long fingers toward Woona, who didn’t flinch at all, and placed them on her head. Woona instantly relaxed her eyes and leaned her head up to Dumbledore’s hand with a smile. Dumbledore gently ran his hand along her head and down to her cheek, like he was petting a cat. Woona didn’t mind at all, and even giggled when Dumbledore tickled her chin. Luna and McGonagall just watched in amazement.

“Dubbydore!” Woona proclaimed happily as she pressed her head harder into his hand. Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled as he smiled.

“Rather informative, isn’t she?” he said to Luna, who nodded slightly.

“Albus,” McGonagall intervened suddenly, “I’ve never seen anything like it! What is it?”

“An alicorn, I believe,” Dumbledore answered, now stroking Woona’s mane. McGonagall blinked confusingly, which made Dumbledore chuckle softly. “They are a combination of all three types of horses; earth horses, unicorns, and pegasi.” He looked back at Woona, who was now holding his fingers between her tiny hooves. “They are rare, but not unheard of by some.” He turned to Luna. “Wherever did you find her, Miss Lovegood?”

“In the forest,” Luna answered. “She was all by herself, alone and scared. I couldn’t just leave her there. I tried to take her to Hagrid-”

“Ah yes,” Dumbledore said, stroking his beard with his free hand. “Hagrid does have a keen connection with magical creatures, of course.”

“-but she wanted to stay with me,” Luna continued. “Professor, I can’t take her back. She needs me. May I please take care of her? At least until she’s ready to be on her own. Please, sir?”

Dumbledore looked at Luna, his eyes deep with thought, and glanced back to Woona, still smiling innocently. He stared at the alicorn, almost as if he were trying to stare into her inner soul, though his eyes were calm. After poking Woona playfully in the muzzle, he removed his hand from her grasp, resulting in a playful pout from the little one, walked across to the door, and stared out the window, stroking his beard in thought.

“Albus?” McGonagall said softly. Dumbledore continued to stare out the door, not saying anything out loud, but a faint muttering under his breath could be heard in the silence of the room. Even Woona wasn’t making a sound. Luna clutched Woona tighter to her chest as she stared at the professor. After what seemed like a lifetime, Dumbledore, without turning around, finally spoke.

“Do you believe in fate, Minerva?”

McGonagall straightened in surprise, rather taken aback by the question, but answered, “I...don’t know, sir.”

Dumbledore hummed in acknowledgment and turned around. His expression was light, which gave Luna some hope.

“I believe that everything happens for a reason,” he said as he walked back to Luna, “that there is no such thing as mere coincidence. Everything serves a purpose and nothing is just by chance.” He looked back down at Woona, who smiled sweetly back up at him. “It is my belief that Miss Lovegood finding Woona was not by chance, but for a reason. In short, it’s her fate. It would be most unwise to go against fate, wouldn’t you say?” He then looked back up at Luna with twinkling eyes and smiled. Luna’s heart gave a leap.

“So, does that mean…”

“Yes, Miss Lovegood,” Dumbledore nodded, “You may take care of Woona, until the appropriate time comes to take her back to the forest.”

“Oh thank you, sir!” Luna said happily as she clutched Woona lovingly against her. Woona must’ve understood, because she started giggling cheerfully. Dumbledore’s smile widened.

“Minerva,” McGonagall straightened up as Dumbledore turned to her, “could you inform the other teachers about Miss Lovegood’s privilege, please?”

“Right away, sir,” McGonagall answered calmly. She then started for the door. Before she left though, she turned back to Luna and said in a firm voice, “Lovegood, I just want to remind you that I do not want you to falter on your studies because of this. I needn’t remind you that this is your O.W.Ls year. I don’t want to hear that your grades are falling. Understand?”

“Of course, Professor,” Luna nodded. McGonagall nodded back and walked out of the room.

“Splendid,” Dumbledore said with a clap. “Now, I think the little one might be hungry.” He reached down and rubbed Woona’s tummy, making her giggle some more. “It’s about dinnertime. Why don’t you take her to the Great Hall for some food?”

“I will,” Luna said happily, and headed for the door. She then turned around and bowed her head slightly. “Thank you again, sir!” Dumbledore nodded and Luna turned to leave.

“Bye-bye!” Woona called over her shoulder as she waved to “Dubbydore.” Luna chuckled cheerfully as she walked down the corridor toward the Great Hall.


It didn’t take long for the news of Woona to spread throughout the school. Apparently there were some ghosts listening in on the meeting and spread the word to more ghosts, who told some portraits, who told a student, who told more students and so on and so forth. By dinnertime, almost half the school was informed about the rare creature that Luna Lovegood had found in the forest.

At dinner, students from all the houses weren’t even focused on their own meals, but glued to the sight of the little, blue alicorn, chewing happily on a salad from Luna’s plate. Even some of the teachers found themselves constantly looking up from their own meals. Almost all the conversations going on that night were about Luna and her “Woona.” The reactions were varied, with some students finding Woona fascinating, but others, like the majority of Slytherins, seeing her as a nuisance. Luna didn’t mind though. She just sat there, giggling as Woona messily dug into some ice cream straight from the platter. Some students, mainly girls, came up to her just to fawn over how cute Woona was. Luna had never been so popular before, nor had she been asked so many questions. Woona, at first, was shy to all the new faces, but grew quite fond of all the attention. Whenever she would say “Hi,” all the girls would go, “Awwwwww.” It wasn’t until McGonagall told them to return to their seats that Luna was finally alone again.

After dinner, Luna took a full and drowsy Woona up to the Ravenclaw Common Room, where she grabbed a spare blanket, found a good seat by the fireplace, and sat down, holding Woona in the blanket. All the Ravenclaws had finally returned to the room, and after some more fawning over the tired little one, they all went to their dorms for bed. Luna was all that was left in the room. Nothing could be heard but the faint crackle of the fireplace. Luna said nothing, but continue to rock Woona back and forth.

“You’ve had a long day, Woona,” she said softly. "You must be tired.” Woona confirmed that with a heavy yawn. Luna smiled softly.

“Hello, Luna,” came a voice from behind. Luna turned her head to see fellow Ravenclaw, Padma Patil, a 6th year with a twin sister named Parvati in Gryffindor. Luna smiled as Padma walked to beside her.

“Hello, Padma,” Luna greeted.

“I had heard about your special privilege from Parvati,” Padma said. “I wanted to see her for myself, but I didn’t get a chance at dinner.” She then looked down at the half-awake Woona. “She’s so cute!” Woona noticed Padma, who waved, and giggled tiredly.

“She seems to like you, Padma,” Luna said. Padma chuckled. After looking at Woona for another minute, Padma turned to leave.

“You know, it’s funny,” she said suddenly, turning around again. “Seeing you like this, holding that little one in your arms like that, it’s almost looks like you’re her mama.”

Luna giggled softly. “You think so?”

“That’s what it looks like!” Padma replied. “I’m going to bed. See you tomorrow, Mama Luna!” Then, with a small chuckle, Padma turned and made her way up the stairs to the dorms.

“Goodnight, Padma,” Luna called softly before turning back to Woona. As she continued to rock the little alicorn, she found herself humming a tune her own mother would sing to her at night. It seemed to work, for Woona’s eyes grew heavier and heavier until they had finally shut. Luna smiled as she looked at the sleeping innocent in her arms.

“Mama Luna, huh?” she wondered aloud. “I like the sound of that. What do you think?”

Woona stirred a bit as her mouth opened to speak. “M-m-m-” she then let out another yawn before, “Mama.”

Luna’s smile widened. “I thought so.” She then leaned down and kissed the little alicorn on the forehead, resulting in a content hum from her. “Goodnight, Woona. Pleasant dreams.”

And with that, Luna soon followed in drifting off to sleep with her Woona happily dreaming in her arms.