• Published 7th Sep 2016
  • 4,395 Views, 218 Comments

Luna and her Woona - Teyeson Bee



Luna Lovegood finds a mysterious creature called "Woona" in the Hogwarts forest, and Woona has taken quite a liking to her. There's only one thing for Luna to do; be her Mama!

  • ...
10
 218
 4,395

Cute Discovery in the Forest

It was a bright, Sunday afternoon at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The school grounds were just as majestic to look at as ever. On one side of the grounds stood the famed Quidditch field where the famed wizard sport was played, on the other was the edge of the Dark Forest and the hut to Hogwarts' groundskeeper and Care of Magical Creatures teacher, Hagrid, and in the middle stood the gigantic castle of Hogwarts, in all its glory. The sun shone high above the towering castle, casting shadows below as students were enjoying their day off from classes. It had been only a week since the new school year started, and everyone was settled in quite nicely. All the new students were sorted into their houses, and those returning were getting used to their new year changes. One such student was a Ravenclaw 5th year by the name of Luna Lovegood.

Luna was an interesting girl. She wasn't like any other, but it didn't bother her. She would always talk about creatures nobody knows of, like Nargles and Wackspurts, wore the most peculiar set of trinkets, including radish earrings and small bells in her long, blonde hair, and always talked like she was in her own little world, which a lot of people thought she was. They'd be right. Luna didn't care though. She didn't care about fitting in or being like everyone else. She had her own style, and she was proud of it. She was also exceptionally bright, earning good marks in all of her classes, and also had an uncanny knowledge of magical creatures. Yes, it would seem that Luna Lovegood had a perfectly abnormal life as only one as Luna Lovegood could have. Truly, there was nothing that could make her life even more abnormal than it already was.

Or so was thought.


On this particular day, Luna had decided to enjoy the day off by taking a relaxing walk around the grounds. As she skipped down the cobblestone path towards the edge of the woods, Luna hummed a happy tune and looked around at the birds soaring through the clear skies. Before she passed the Whomping Willow, a very old and aggressive tree, she suddenly heard her name.

"Luna! Wait up!"

Luna stopped and turned around to find three of her good friends, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger, running to catch up with her. Luna smiled as they approached.

"Hello, everyone. You have a free period too?"

"That's right," Harry replied as he huffed for air. "W-we saw you down here and thought we'd join you."

"That's nice," Luna said. "It is a lovely day for a walk. Well, c'mon then."

As they walked, Hermione started to go on about how she has already started studying for her NEWTs examinations, which resulted in Ron reminding her NEWTs weren't until their final year, which, in turn, resulted in Hermione reminding Ron not to procrastinate, which, in turn, resulted in Ron rolling his eyes and groaning. That seemed to happen a lot between Ron and Hermione, clashing their personalities like two stags fighting over a doe, and Harry was always caught in the middle of it, mostly having to choose a side. Didn't help much, seeing how he mostly sided with Ron, making Hermione huff with annoyance. Same routine as always. Luna didn't get involved though. Luna was more of a listener than a talker, and to listen to a silly argument from Ron and Hermione was, in and of itself, an enjoyable experience. By the time the group had reached the forest, Harry had changed the subject to the upcoming Quidditch season.

Just then, as the four made their way along the edge of the woods, Luna heard something. It almost sounded like something small, almost like a mouse, was crying. Of course, Luna had never heard of a mouse crying before, but the sound of anything crying made Luna feel bad. It sounded like it was coming from inside the woods. Luna instantly stopped as she peered through the trees, trying to pinpoint the sound, but it suddenly ceased. Her stop didn't go unnoticed as Harry and the others walked up to her.

"Luna?" Harry asked. "What's wr-"

"Shh!" Luna said sharply, putting a finger to her mouth. Everything around them went quiet as Luna tried to listen for the sound again. After a few seconds, she heard it again. It definitely sounded like something small was crying. Curious, Luna started making her way into the forest, letting her ears lead the way. Harry looked at Ron and Hermione, who shrugged with confusion, and the three followed Luna.

"What're you looking for?" Ron asked quietly.

"I heard something crying," Luna replied. "I want to find it, and comfort it."

The three exchanged confused looks again.

"You don't even know what it is," Hermione said. "What if it's something dangerous?"

"Then if I comfort it, it won't attack me," Luna answered. Hermione was about to register another protest, but Luna stopped and put her finger to her mouth again. The sound was closer. Much closer. She looked around, trying to hear where the sound was the strongest. It sounded like it was coming from a large patch of bushes off to her right. As she slowly approached them, the crying became louder, proving her theory was right. Harry and the others watched as Luna slowly knelt down and parted the branches to look inside.

Suddenly, a high-pitched but soft squeak echoed around them, making the three jump. At first they thought that it came from Luna, but she was just frozen in place, her eyes a bit wider than usual and her mouth slightly ajar. Curiosity took over them as they walked over to her. Before they could ask, Luna looked up at them. She looked like she just witnessed something truly amazing. Luna put her finger to her mouth again and motioned the others to look inside. Slowly, the others knelt down beside her and looked inside the bushes. Harry's eyes grew wide as Ron let out a small gasp and Hermione covered her mouth in awe at what they saw.

Inside the bushes was, what looked like, a little winged unicorn, no bigger than a full-grown cat, with indigo fur and a short, blue mane. It was wearing a small, dark blue, almost black, tiara and a collar of the same color with a white, crescent moon on it. It was covering its face with its hooves, presumably with fear, and trembling as little whimpers escaped its mouth. Everyone was speechless. They had never seen a creature such as this. Though they have seen multiple unicorns of different colors, they had never seen one with wings, nor any that could whimper and curl itself into a fetal position. The four glanced from one another back to the scared, little creature for a minute. Finally, one of them spoke.

"What...is it?" Ron whispered.

"I don't know," Hermione replied, equally quiet. "I have never seen anything like it before. It's so small, so odd, so..."

"Adorable," Luna sighed as she neared the bushes, her head pushed up against the tiny leaves. Taking another step in action, Luna started to reach her arms straight into the bushes towards the creature. It lowered its hooves slightly and peeked out from behind curiously, but squeaked again and covered its face at the sight of Luna's approaching hands.

"It's alright, little one," Luna said softly. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to get you out of there." Just as she said that, her hands had reached their destination and wrapped themselves around the little one's midsection. Instantly, the creature let out a frightened shriek as it was carefully pulled out of the bushes. It started to squirm, its tiny wings fluttering like mad as it tried to escape Luna's grasp, but with no luck. Even with the creature resisting, Luna was very careful to not let it scratch against the sharp branches. After some maneuvering, Luna had finally managed to get the squirming and squealing creature out of its leafy prison. Harry, Ron, and Hermione took a step back as they watched the creature continue to try and break free, its hooves still covering its face in fear. Luna, however, smiled softly and brought the creature to her chest, as if she was trying to cradle it.

"Shhh," she started to say as she reached up with one hand and stroked at the little one's mane. "It's okay. It's alright." This continued on for a few minutes, but then the squirming started to die down. The others were glued to the scene, their eyes wide with amazement, and their mouths slightly ajar. After it had calmed down, the little one finally took its hooves away from its face and looked up at Luna. Its eyes were so big, bright, and teal. From the look of them, the creature was definitely female. Tears were glistening off its big eyes as it stared confusingly at Luna, its head tilted slightly. Luna smiled softly and stroked its mane some more. Everyone watched to see what would happen next. How would the little creature react next? Pretty soon, their question was answered. The little one's mouth curled into a smile as she leaned her head up against Luna and wrapped her hooves around her as far as it could reach in a hug. Luna's smile widened.

"There now, see?" she said sweetly. "There's nothing to worry about. I'm here."

"Amazing!" Hermione gasped. Luna jumped a bit. She had completely forgotten the others were still there. She motioned for them to come closer, which they did slowly. The creature heard their footsteps and turned its head to see the others coming towards her. She quickly squeaked again and burrowed its head in Luna's chest, grasping at her tighter.

"It's ok, little one," Luna said reassuringly. The creature looked up at her. "These are my friends. They're nice." Harry, Ron, and Hermione all gathered around the creature as it glanced at each of them, its eyes continuously blinking with curiosity.

"That was bloody brilliant!" Ron exclaimed. "How did you do that?"

"I knew she was just scared," Luna replied. "Sometimes, gentleness is the best way to go by things."

"Well, one thing's for sure," Harry said, "you did a bang-up job, Luna."

As soon as Harry had said that, the creature's ears and head suddenly perked up, almost as if she had heard something familiar.

"Did you see that?" Harry said surprisingly. "Seems she has some kind of reaction for the name Luna!" The creature's ears perked up again as she looked back up at Luna confusingly.

"My name's Luna," she said. "What's your name?"

Hermione sighed. "Luna, I don't think this one is capable of actual talking. I mean, normal unicorns can't-"

"W-W-Woona."

Hermione stopped instantly, a shocked expression appearing on her face at the sound of the childlike voice from the creature. Harry and Ron stood there, their faces equally shocked. The creature could actually talk! Luna, however, was unfazed, and just continued smiling at the creature, as if this was completely normal for her.

"Hello, Woona. It's so nice to meet you," she greeted, holding Woona up to meet her at eye level. She then stuck out her nose and nuzzled it affectionately against Woona's muzzle. Woona let out a soft giggle and reached her hooves up to touch Luna's face, which in turn made Luna start giggling. The others' faces did not change.

"So much for that theory, Hermione," Ron said finally with a smirk. Hermione shot him a look before turning back to the giggling duo.

"Ok," she said, "so she's not a unicorn. Then...what is she?" She squinted her eyes towards Woona, as if she was trying to see right through her and find the answer somewhere inside of her.

"Isn't it obvious?" Luna asked as she lowered Woona back down to her chest. "She's an alicorn."

The three looked at each other again, even more confused than before. "A what?"

"An alicorn. A hybrid between a unicorn and a pegasus."

"Wouldn't take technically make it a pegacorn?" Ron asked. Woona suddenly turned towards Ron with a sour expression, stuck out her tongue, and blew a raspberry right in his direction. Ron backed up a bit, with eyes wide with surprise, as Harry, Hermione, and Luna started laughing.

"I think even Woona thinks that's a stupid name, Ron," Harry chortled. Ron blushed and rubbed the back of his neck, chuckling along with them. Woona just smiled as she clutched to Luna's chest, nuzzling under her neck, and humming happily. Luna hummed back and stroked Woona's mane yet again.

"She's definitely has taken a liking to you, Luna," Harry said at last. "What do you think with should do with her?" Luna stared at him, her head tilted with confusion. "I mean, obviously we can't just leave her here, but I don't think she's going to be welcomed in the school." Luna's smile faded a bit. Harry was right. An alicorn wasn't on the list of pets that were permitted at Hogwarts. There was a good chance that if she tried to keep Woona there, the little one would probably be labeled as a wild creature and asked to be removed from the grounds, and even worse, back to the forest. Luna looked down at the happy alicorn, now adorably nibbling on her hand. Luna smiled again. She was planning on doing whatever it took to make this little one happy.

There was a moment of silence as the four thought, until Hermione loudly gasped, making the others jump suddenly.

"I got it!" she exclaimed. "Hagrid! We can take Woona to Hagrid! Surely he could think of what to do with her, and maybe even answer some questions about her species!"

"Of course!" Harry replied. "What about it, Luna?"

Luna looked back down at Woona, who looked back up at her with a bright smile. "Alright," she said as she looked back up. "Hagrid's it is."

With their minds made up, Harry, Ron, and Hermione made their way out of the forest and back to the stone path with Luna following close behind, now holding Woona like a doll; facing out with her back legs dangling. Woona looked up at Luna with curious eyes as they walked back into the sun.

"Don't worry, Woona," Luna said sweetly. "We're just taking you to meet Hagrid. He'll be able to help."

"Ha...ha..." Woona staggered with the pronunciation , like a toddler trying to learn it's first words. "H-Haggid."

Luna chuckled. "That's right. Hagrid. Mr. Hagrid is very nice, and I'm sure he's going to love you."