• Published 16th Sep 2016
  • 4,352 Views, 180 Comments

What Shy Did on Her Summer Vacation - FanOfMostEverything

  • ...
12
 180
 4,352

Sunset Shimmer

Sunset was happy to follow Fluttershy through the park. After all of the time and effort she'd spent trying to get power, it was nice to let someone else take charge for once now that she actually had it. Still, the circumstances could've been better. "You're really sure about this?"

Fluttershy nodded. "I'd never felt more relaxed in my whole life. Nothing seems as urgent when you're a tree."

Sunset frowned. "Yeah, that's why I stay human." She looked up at the sun. Seeing it had always led to mixed feelings since her falling out with Princess Celestia. Lately, those had only intensified.

Fluttershy's voice brought Sunset's thoughts back to Earth. "Um, Sunset?"

She looked back down. Fluttershy had come to a halt. So had Sunset, without realizing it. "Yeah?"

"You were kind of staring directly into the sun again."

Sunset sighed. "Sorry. It's a personal thing. Knowing that I could pull the same 'passive observer' crap as the Tree of Harmony, that part of me wants to..." She shook her head and started moving again. "Like I said, personal thing. I'm surprised you didn't want anyone else to come with us."

Fluttershy started walking just a pace ahead of Sunset. "I didn't want to make a spectacle of it." She gave a quiet giggle. "Well, not any more than Pinkie already has."

"Yeah." Sunset's smile wilted. "You're sure you want to do this?"

"You did say that it was safe."

"For a few hours, yes, but you aren't the only one who's been thinking about it since." Sunset rubbed her headgem. Part of her still expected the tactile response of a horn instead of just a vague sense of pressure. "I don't know if there are any long-term side effects we weren't able to see. I've never even heard of this kind of cross-kingdom transmutation before. Even Princess Twilight has only done it by accident. We're going into totally untested, undocumented areas here."

Fluttershy looked back and smiled. "Shouldn't I be the one worried about this?"

"It's just..." Sunset bit her lip. "You girls are my anchor. Twilight's incredible, but you were the only ones who were there for me after the Fall Formal. I don't know what I would've done without you all. I..." She shook her head. "Let's not go there right now. Your family does know about this, right? I don't want to have to answer someone's panicked prayers in a few days."

Fluttershy nodded. "Father is still in Stirrope on business, but he seemed positive when we talked about it last night. Zephyr Breeze was actually enthusiastic about the idea. And Mother..." She trailed off.

After a moment, Sunset said, "Yes?"

"Well, she's still adapting to how the world's changed. She's afraid to fly because she thinks her wings emit the same dangerous radiation as cell phones."

Sunset considered this. "You're not related to any members of the Gardening Club, are you?"

Fluttershy just giggled. "I'll be fine, Sunset. And the minute I'm not, I'll let you know. If you don't mind."

Sunset smiled. "I know it's not praying when you girls do it, just using the available channels. How much longer?"

"We're here, actually."

"We are?" Sunset looked around. At some point in her worry, they'd moved to an isolated corner of the park, a little clearing ringed by trees three times thicker than her waist. There was no sign of anything manmade from where she stood. If she ignored the occasional scrap of conversation or childish laughter, she could imagine this was the forest that had been here long before the city of Canterlot. "Wow. How'd you find this place?"

"I used to explore the park before I was old enough to volunteer at the animal shelter." Fluttershy sighed. "I'll miss everyone at the shelter, but this will be my last chance to really appreciate the summer before I need to start thinking about colleges. And, well, I know it's selfish, but I've never wanted something as much as I want this."

Sunset felt her gut squirm with the admission. "Okay. If you're sure. Take off your shoes, hold still and shut your eyes." Once Fluttershy was ready, Sunset's headgem shone with almost blinding intensity. She felt her hair begin to dance, both from the air currents building around her and a phase transition to something that wasn't quite plasma.

Fluttershy's eyes were closed, but Sunset needed hers open to monitor the spell. It was too new to trust it solely to sensing the magic flow. That meant she had to watch her friend's feet twist, gnarl, and bury themselves into the ground. She watched Fluttershy's skirt lengthen, darken, and roughen, tightly encasing her legs as it became bark. She watched the other girl's skin shift to light tan and her hair to near-grey.

It took a minute. Sunset knew it would stick with her for years. "How do you feel?"

Fluttershy opened her eyes, blinked a few times, and took in the changes. "It's certainly different from last time," she said as she tested her range of motion. It looked like she could still move everything above her waist.

"I figured weeks of sensory deprivation probably wouldn't be good for your mental health, so I split the difference." Sunset forced a grin, hoping her stomach would settle soon. "It's actually sort of funny. When I first tried to find what magic this world had, I studied a lot of mythology, and so much of it matches something that exists in Equestria. But dryads? Beautiful tree spirits? We don't have anything like that. And now I've made one."

Fluttershy beamed. "It's perfect, Sunset. Thank you."

Sunset nodded, her smile feeling more genuine. "You know me, always happy to help. Although..." She channeled more magic. Something like a heat haze played against the edges of her vision, and the sounds from elsewhere in the park faded to near-inaudibility.

Fluttershy looked around. "What did you do?"

"Think of it as a privacy screen. Anyone who doesn't know you're here will tend to overlook the place. It'd be a pretty big spectacle otherwise." Sunset winked. "And don't worry, it only works on humans. Every other species is free to come and go."

"I can't thank you enough, Sunset."

"I'll let you get situated." Sunset turned, but looked back. "And don't hesitate to call me if something comes up."

"Don't worry," said Fluttershy. "Everything will be fine."

Sunset nodded and left the grove, a dozen other worries taking priority.