• Published 3rd Sep 2016
  • 490 Views, 15 Comments

Daring Do and the Empire of the Crystal Skull - Amethyst_Dawn



When Daring Do is abducted by foreign ponies years after her last adventure, and is forced to join in a plot to take over the world, what will happen when she confronts forces she never believed in?

  • ...
1
 15
 490

Prologue

Twilight levitated the small assortment of clothes into her suitcase, grinning widely: it was finally the week of the Official Daring Do Convention, and this time, she was going! She couldn’t really refuse, since A.K. Yearling managed to get her an Admin Tag, and convinced the Princesses to let themselves handle any politics until she returned. That author sure had a way with words. She didn’t care what A.K. said, she was in debt with the author for this, and she was willing to do anything to pay her back.

She heard the door open with a slow creak, and looked over to one of the most hilarious and heartwarming sights she’d seen this month: Rainbow Dash, grin as wide as her pupils, was standing in the doorway, bearing her VIP Tag like it was a medal. Twilight could swear there was an endless squee coming from the Pegasus, but it was so high-pitched, it seemed like only a ring in her ear.

“Hi!” She said with a bright smile. “You ready to go?”

“Yup,” Rainbow squeaked, “this is the first time I’ve actually gotten a VIP Tag, let alone from Daring Do! I’m so excited!”

Twilight smirked calmly as she raised her brow, and walked out the door.

“I can tell.” She chuckled. “Well, we’d better get moving if we want to catch the train…”

“Alright,” Rainbow giggled gleefully, following her friend down the palace stairs, “but how are you not flipping out right now? We’re on our way to a Daring Do convention, and you look like you’re about to walk into a fast-food joint. What gives?”

Twilight looked up at her friend, and shook her head as they took to the air. “I just get exited in a different way than you do, that’s all.”

Rainbow crinkled her nose: “Geez, Twilight…”

Twilight gave her a playful punch on the shoulder, and a look that screamed ‘Knock it off’. Rainbow cackled to herself.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The train ride to the convention center was mostly uneventful, with the slight exception of Rainbow’s constant fangirling, and petting her ID Tag like it was a cat. Once they got off the train, all Twilight had to do was look up, and she was lost in wonder.

The massive, Mayan-décor doors were propped open by old stones, and the archway was splattered with authentic-looking temple carvings. Inside the center were countless stalls: filled to the brim with regalia, cosplay, authentic merchandise, fan merchandise, artwork, books, furniture, body-pillows, and replicas. Twilight could feel her heart racing as she looked over to Rainbow, who supported the same eager smile as her. They both squealed in delight as the gatekeeper handed them both a bracelet, and an unseen figure approached from behind.

“Princess Twilight? Miss Dash?”

They both turned, and saw a light brown mare with a multitoned grey mane, wearing a purple cloak and a light grey bonnet. They both recognized her immediately.

“A.K. Yearling!” They laughed, as she pulled them both in for a hug. Several passers-by stopped at the scene: either smiling in appreciation for the display of affection, or grimacing enviously. Yearling released them from the embrace, and chuckled as even her Princess addressed her as some sort of authority figure.

“How have you been, Miss Yearling?”

“Omigosh, Omigosh, Omigosh, Omigosh!”

“Thanks again for the passes: we’re so excited to be here!”

She held up her hoof to silence them, and lowered it again with a nervous grin. Shakily, she gestured for them to follow her as she headed in.

“I’ll admit, making sure you two made it through the convention easily wasn’t entirely out of the kindness of my heart…” she stated, pacing nervously through the halls as the pair curiously followed.

“What do you mean?” Rainbow asked, eying the convention stalls they passed.

“Well... as it turns out, I may... I may need you to… proofread my next issue.”

After approximately thirty more seconds of walking, Yearling noticed she wasn’t being followed anymore. She turned, and saw that both of her tails were frozen in place: jaws looser than wet noodles.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

After having some help from the security staff getting her friends upstairs, and into her suite, Yearling finally saw some life show from them. A lot of life:

“Proofread a book?” Twilight squealed in delight, wings fluttering slightly.

“A Daring Do book?” Rainbow replied, her voice at an easily rivaling pitch.

Yearling shook her head, and smiled. “I just wanted to make sure that my two biggest surviving fans at least approved of it before I even tried publishing it…”

The caution behind that reply caused Twilight to raise an eyebrow. But she discarded it a writer’s jitters, and they accepted.

“Perfect." Yearling sighed in relief. "The convention will last a few days, so I was hoping you’d spend the first on helping me with this next book.”

She pulled a hardcover from under her robe, and held it out. “I hate to inconvenience you, especially you, Princess. But, I felt this one needed approval first.”

Rainbow hurriedly snatched up the copy, squealing like a mouse, and practically gushed over every intricate detail.

“Daring Do and the Empire of the Crystal Skull! So awesome!” She chuckled, quickly flipping over to hovering directly in Yearling’s face. “Can we keep this?”

Yearling chuckled nervously. “That’s… up to you to decide.”

At the sound of returning hesitance, Twilight shook her head, and spoke up.

“What is it about this book that you’re unsure of?” She asked, placing a hoof on the nervous writer’s shoulder. “Whatever it is, I’m sure it’s fine, Ye--... Miss Yearling?”

Twilight paused as the author’s eyes had become distant, and worried.

“Twilight, please understand… about this book: I have seen things, Princess… that I can never unsee." She shuddered. "Just… read the damn book, you’ll know what I mean.”

Twilight cocked an eyebrow, shrugged, and opened the book as Rainbow and Yearling took their seats on the couch.

“This is going to be awesome!” Rainbow squealed.

Yearling smiled nervously. “I… I do hope so, Miss Dash.”

Author's Note:

Alright, enter the Daring!

Yes, I know this is out long before the expected release date, but I had to get this out of my system after hitting a roadblock with Rarity, POW. I sincerely hope you, my faithful readers, don't mind. :twilightsheepish:

Until Next Time, God Bless You!
~Amethyst Dawn. :twilightsmile: