• Published 26th Oct 2017
  • 869 Views, 20 Comments

The Summer Sun Incident - Zaid ValRoa



The Summer Sun Celebration is a night of remembrance for the ponies of Equestria, and one to appreciate the glory of Princess Celestia. However, rather than a night of joy, the thousandth Summer Sun Celebration was marred by tragedy.

  • ...
0
 20
 869

Re: Summer Sun Incident II

celestia's royal archmage court
canterlot

INFORMATION: 5 January
To: Her Royal Highness, Princess Celestia
From: Comet Streak
Subject: Summer Sun Incident

PRELIMINARY FINDINGS:
Upon arrival at the Southern Tower, the delegated group of archmages found an overwhelming amount of ambience magic permeating the scene of the incident. This hindered the efforts to ascertain the cause of the magical blast of the night of the Summer Sun Celebration. As stated in a previous report, due to the magical ambience as well as the unknown magical feedback present, it was hard to distill Miss Sparkle’s magical signature.

TESTS RUN:
Due to the amount of raw thaumic energy quickly dissipating into the atmosphere, the archmages immediately performed a freezing spell to preserve the incident scene as pristine as possible. Once it was made sure the team had stabilised the area, they began working on several compound scouring spells to clear the magic noise imbued in the environment. This process took a few days, but once the levels of ambience magic had been reduced to manageable levels, the team began the task of finding Miss Sparkle’s particular thaumaturgic signature through a variety of espying spells, as well as discerning the source of the additional magic found in the tower. Once the separate signatures were isolated, they proceeded to run a thaumic spectrum reading to identify the origin of all the traces of magic.

RESULTS:
On multiple castings, the freezing spell was able to prevent further thaumic leak. Once the spell had taken effect, the team found a large amount of magical feedback. While this was expected of a spell of the magnitude required to cause the explosion of the Summer Sun Celebration, it was still far more than we had imagined.

Nevertheless, the team started to work on a series of compound scouring spells which managed to dissipate and clear the thaumic readings from their state of disarray. As they worked, it became clear that further worked would be required, as magical occlusion had rendered Miss Sparkle’s magical signature indistinguishable from the ambience magic.

It was at this point that the archmages started discerning the first traces of what later tests would prove to be residual dark magic.

Once the ambience magic had settled to manageable levels, the archmages started working on finding Miss Sparkle’s own magical signature amidst the rest of ambience magic through a series of espying spells. This led to the discovery of three distinct magical sources in the remnants of the Southern Tower, which were quickly identified thanks to a thaumic spectrum reading: Twilight Sparkle’s own magic, concentrated nature magic, and remnants of dark magic.

Finally, the team did a recreation of how the night’s events may have developed, detailed in the attachment.

CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS:
It came to the Court attention that on the night of the incident, one of the castle’s chambermaids came to the South Tower for scheduled housekeeping. Upon further discussion with Miss Feather Duster (refer to the Royal Guard’s report: 0304580-C). This further corroborates the findings of dark magic being at play.

For reasons we cannot fathom, nor will we presume to know, Miss Sparkle engaged in dark magic in the night of the Summer Sun Celebration. As of the time of this writing, the precise nature of the spell cannot be determined.

Knowing this, the Court thinks it wise to update the caretakers of Miss Sparkle at Canterlot General on her condition as soon as possible.

Comet Streak
Lead Arcanist of the Royal Archmage Court