• Published 2nd Sep 2016
  • 3,549 Views, 53 Comments

Starlight and Aurora - twilightsparkle3562



Starlight Glimmer is reunited with her mother after ten years. However, Twilight and Trixie must joing forces and find a way to repair the bad blood between them.

  • ...
6
 53
 3,549

Chapter 4: Aghast Beyond Belief

Chapter 4

“Aghast Beyond Belief”

After meeting the pony who was Starlight’s mother, Twilight flew back to Ponyville, hoping and praying that Starlight would take the news well. She thought that maybe performing for the Duke and Duchess of Maretonia would get Starlight to at least attend, but that would not be the case.

“Why would you ask her that, Twilight?!” Starlight cried after Twilight returned from Canterlot, her face filled with rage and anger upon being told of the decision that was made. “If this just a ploy to make me see sense…”

“Starlight, it’s not a ploy!” interjected Twilight. “Aurora wants to see you and you’re not giving her the benefit of the doubt. As your teacher, I have to say that a part of being a good friend is being there for them. I know you hate your mother, but at least give her a chance! Like I gave you a chance!”

“She…is…not…my friend, Twilight,” Starlight seethed , whose growling and snarling could be heard from across the throne room. “Nor is she is my mother, not after all she put me through.”

Twilight couldn’t believe that she was hearing this. Starlight was now acting more and more like a spoiled filly and she needed to stop. In fact, the normally calm princess of friendship was beginning to lose her patience and fast.

“Alright, Starlight!” Twilight snapped, using her magic to pull Starlight across the table and bring her up to her face. “Now you listen here! Do you realize how much pain your mother has gone through for the past ten years?! The pain of not seeing a pony who raised and nurtured you for your entire filly life is much worse than losing a close friend like Sunburst!”

“Well you don’t know what it’s like, Twilight, to be abandoned by those who close to you!” Starlight cired, trying to look away from the glare of her teacher’s eyes. “I was abandoned from a young age, Twilight! I didn’t have a father growing up because he wasted his life away being stupid! My mother and Sunburst were my only sanctuaries! And when Snuburst was taken away and my mother rejected my offer of friendship, I told myself right then and there that I’d live my life my own way!”

“By setting up a village where ponies were stripped of their cutie marks and forced to live a life of equality?!” Twilight remarked. “Starlight, if your mother could see what you did, it would’ve broken her heart and your own, despite what you might think!”

Calming down a bit with some deep breaths, Twilight added.

“What I am trying to say, is that you have to stop running from your past, Starlight. Don’t you feel that pain that your heart has been harboring for many years? That pain is the same pain that your mother has been hiding. Destiny is wanting you both to meet again and there’s nowhere to run from it now. Whatever happened between you and your mom is in the past now, Starlight. If you could give friendship a second chance, why not give your own mother the same?”


As Twilight spoke, Trixie and Spike were listening carefully on the other side, both were somewhat touched by what Twilight had to say to her pupil.

“If only she could’ve given that wake up call to me,” whispered Trixie, her body filled with shock and surprise. “After all I had done to Equestria, and to Ponyville in general, I could’ve really used something like that.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever heard Twilight get as angry as that,” Spike realized. “I mean, you could hear her screams throughout the entire castle. Not even I’ve been scolded in that manner.”

“No kidding, I just hope Twilight wasn’t too hard on Starlight. I do want her to meet her mother and try to patch things up though. Trixie then made her way back to the doors of throne room and peered through a small crack. Upon coming to the crack, she saw Starlight laying on the table on her back, both student and teacher clearly drained from all that had transpired.

“Twilight,” Starlight spoke up, the angry screams of her teacher still ringing in her head loudly. “My mother is nothing like Sunburst ever was. Sunburst and I were destined to be friends forever, never to leave each other. I thought that since my mother was the only pony I had ever known aside from Sunburst, then maybe her and I were destined to be close friends. And yet she still said no! What I needed most was a friend, and she refused to be that friend! She thought being a mother was good enough.”

“Starlight,” Twilight weakly sighed as she slumped back in her throne. “When parents want you to grow up, then you have to grow up. I know it’s not easy leaving your fillyhood behind, but it’s a natural part of life. Think of all the possibilities you and your mother could have if you just give her another chance. Let her see you help with Trixe’s perfomance tonight, Starlight, and stop the running from the past. Sit here and think about this for a while, alright?” Exhausted from trying get through to her student, Twilight walked out of the throne room with her mane and tail frazzled and her wings un-fluffed.


Trixie tried to pretend she hadn’t overhead much of the conversation “Princess, if there’s anything I can do, The Great and Powerful Trixie is here to help.” she offered.

“The only help I need from you, Trixie,” Twilight said in an exhausted tone “Is to make sure that Starlight is performing tonight as your assistant. There’s no question in my mind that performing for the Duke and Duchess of Maretonia has gotten much more important.”

“You have my word, Princess,” Trixie replied, taking off her hat and bowing respectively to Twilight. “That much I can assure you.”

Happy to hear that Trixie was on her side, Twilight sighed and retired to her quarters for a short afternoon rest, as Trixie and Spike watched.

“Do you think Starlight will ever truly forgive her mother?” Spike asked nervously.

“I don’t know, Spike,” Trixie said in reply, as she looked back into the throne room to see Starlight still lying on the table. “I just don’t know. Trixie is many things, but she isn’t a miracle worker.”