• Published 2nd Sep 2016
  • 451 Views, 0 Comments

The Bizarre Case Of Minty And Malty - Speedy



When Thistle Whistle and Malty meet, it begins a chain of events that Equestria may never recover from

  • ...
 0
 451

CHAPTER ELEVEN:Sparkleworks, Her Secret Reason

“Mom..” spoke Whistle who was standing outside a fashion store.

She was staring at a mannequin in a lust purple nightgown with a little foal mannequin in a similar gown beside it. She imagined her mom and herself in their places, hugging with happy faces. She placed a hoof upon the class, her breath was visible upon it. She took a sigh and pressed her head against the glass, a bell rang and in the glass’ reflection she could see a large bell tower with a giant clock.

Turning around she spotted the nearest street clock which stood between two street lanterns, it was six o'clock. She had to get home before Sparkleworks started to worry, turning back to the mannequins she said in a faint whisper “I miss you mom” then she trotted off.

Normally Whistle would be flying as it was her fastest and much preferred method of travel, however the sky was filled with clouds, so much so that the moon was half concealed. Whistle knew the town well and had more than a few routes back home, it only took finding the street’s name before she knew which of them to use. It was an unusual silent night and if it hadn’t been for the various stores and diners then Whistle would’ve been a tad bit spooked by the barren streets.

Her hoofsteps echoed, the snow was beginning to melt, she tightened her scarf yet she remained ice cold. Whistle stopped for only a moment as she took from her saddlebag one of Minty’s Spicy Candy Peppers, she took one bite and immediately felt herself sweating.

Whistling she says “Does she use lava in these!? Celestia!”

Continuing to trot down the sidewalk Whistle kept the candy pepper behind her ear in case she needed it again but by how much she was sweating, she didn’t think she needed too for a while but she’d rather be safe than sorry. She trotted for what seemed like twenty minutes and once or twice she had trotted passed a group of ponies, thanks to a broken street light one of them was shrouded in shadow and she felt such shivers when passing them she had to take another bite from the candy pepper.

Sweating heavily again she looked at the snow, both on the ground and from above. The snow tried to collect and remain deep but it was melting as if it had taken a bite from her candy pepper as well. It’s been a long time since she had worked with weather but she could tell somepony had made a mistake somewhere, she couldn’t remember exactly where though. Whistle trotted on, every now and again taking a peek at the sky and wished the clouds would ease up.

She became distracted for just a second and as she lowered her head down it collided with something hard. “Ow! Stupid sign!” she annoying whistled and bucked the sign which spun around, knocking her off of her hooves on the return loop. “Ugh! I hate signs..”

Picking herself up Whistle noticed the contents of her saddlebag had fallen out, irritated she began picking them up, some of the items became wet by the snow and casting a glare at the sign she shook her head disapproving. She noticed Malty’s book half buried in the snow and taking it by the teeth she spat it into her hooves.

“Thank Celestia, it’s not that soggy” she sighed in relief as for a moment there she was scared it had been ruined.

She moved to toss it into the saddlebag but paused as she glanced up at the nearest glass window which showed quite a busy diner inside. She blinked, rubbed her eyes, trotted up and pressed her face against the glass.

“Is that..Sparkleworks? And, Star Catcher?” Whistle asked aloud. For a second time she rubbed her eyes but they remained seated at their small round table.

For a moment she thought about entering and ask why Sparkleworks was out so late herself but she could hear them talking. It was hard to make out what they were saying due to the sound of others talking, as well as the glass muffling the sounds. Her head flicked as the diner door opened, two ponies who were orange and yellow trotted out and Whistle had ducked behind them and placed herself in the doorway.

There were many couples inside it seemed, shown by many hearts levitating over the tables and after every few seconds they would split open to shower them in red, green, and white confetti. Not every table had the hearts, but most, like the one her friends were at, did. Whistle had started to trot over but suddenly ducked into a hiding position as she heard her name being spoken.

Her ears perked up, waiting to be busted any minute but nothing happened. Curious she entered Pinkie Pie’s famed ninja mode that she had caught her in once and snuck closer, she dived under a table at just the right moment to avoid a waitress running her over. Peeking her head out from under the white table cloth she spotted Sparkleworks and Star Catcher just two tables away, thinking this was as close as she could get she began listening to them.

She could tell right off that it was a private discussion and she felt somewhat bad for eavesdropping, but she had to know why they mentioned her.

“You don’t have anything to fear, Whistle is old enough to take care of herself” she heard Star Cather’s voice, who then burped. “Excuse me” she blushingly added.

For a split moment Whistle became distracted as Star Catcher had slid an heart shaped cake away, her mouth watered at seeing similar cupcakes about their table along with either chocolate milk or hot cocoa with sweet and soft marshmallows shaped like snowflakes.

Sparkleworks offered a giggle but quickly went back to her depressive appearance, which had brought Whistle’s attention back as she ripped her gaze from the delicious treats and placed it on her instead.

She heard Sparkleworks say “But she still acts childish, what if something happens and I’m not there?”

Star Catcher gave a giggle as well and had touched Sparkleworks’ hoof, “That’s what makes you a good friend, it’s only natural that you worry” she smiled and took a bite from one of the cupcakes.

Whistle took a look at her own wings, flapping them she asked “How did she do that? My wings can’t even hold a pencil..”

“Wishy, you know I don’t see her as my friend!” Whistle heard Sparkleworks say and she instantly became confused.

“But---we been friends since we were two..” Whistle whispered. She wasn’t sure what Sparkleworks had meant, if they weren’t friends then what were they?

“Heh” Star Catcher smiled and Whistle thought she looked very much like a proud mother figure all of a sudden. “Pearl left her in your care for good reason, you were close as friends. But, that friendship grew into something else, hasn’t it?”

Whistle felt her heart jump as she retreated her head under the table, she couldn’t possibly mean, but what if she did? Whistle wanted to jump out of hiding and confront them, or outright bolt. “Does Sparkleworks li-no, she’s like my sister! She couldn’t, besides she knows I had a crush on---oh candy apples, what did I just sneak into?” Whistle asked biting the edges of her hooves in a panicky and nervous fit.

“You wanna hear it?” Whistle heard Sparkleworks voice. “Fine! I see her as my own daughter! Happy?”

Whistle had flinched and hit the top of her head against the table. She was hyperventilating, heart visible in her chest, then she just froze into a stiff statue. Realizing at what she had just heard she blinked and was blanker than an empty page. She was totally, completely, in shock.

Whistle was broken out of her frozen state as she heard Sparkleworks say “Pearl trusted me, ME to watch over Whistle. To take care of her. We’re old childhood friends, but----I can’t see her as anything else”

“That’s why she picked you, Pearl would be happy you think of Whistle as such” Whistle heard Star Catcher say.

“Star Catcher,” started Sparkleworks, Whistle stared at the table cloth as she listened. “why do you think Amethyst wants to teach Whistle to be proper?”

At the mention of Minty’s mother Whistle crawled and poked her head out from under the table cloth as she listened as closely as her ears would allow her.

“Sparky, you still believe they're one in the same?” asked Star Catcher.

“Until I see them side by side together, YES!” Sparkleworks had shouted so loudly that more than a few ponies stared at their table, blushing awkwardly she added “I wanted to be the best fashion designer, but Amethyst shattered that dream! If she hurts Whistle I’ll---”

“Sparky, everypony is staring..” Star Catcher interrupted. Sparkleworks blushed even more heavily as she slid back into her seat. “I know how you feel, but you can rest assure, nothing bad is going to befall Whistle”.

Sparkleworks crossed her arms, Star Catcher outstretched her wing and offered some of her cupcake. Sparkleworks stared at the cupcake like Star Catcher had offered her own limb, looking up at her friend Sparkleworks said “You’re lucky you’re cute, Celestia clone”.

“Ha! I hadn’t heard that joke in years!” Star Catcher laughed, snorting a little. Sparkleworks, who was frowning angrily, suddenly bursted out laughing alongside her.

Whistle ducked out from under the table and snuck her way back to and out the door. She turned back to the glass window and watched Sparkleworks and Star Catcher enjoying themselves. She reached inside her saddlebag and took out Malty’s book and held it to her chest, her gaze fixed upon Sparkleworks for a few seconds before she turned away from the glass and she stared at the book.

“She...thinks of me as her daughter?” Whistle sniffed suddenly as she felt something cold dripping down her cheek.

It was a tear, but she wasn’t even sad, why would she be crying? She felt all jumbled inside but thinking back it made sense. The way Sparkleworks grounded and scolds her, the way they hung and play together, the way she smiles at her whenever she succeed at something, she had became Sparkleworks foster daughter.

“When did this possibly happen?” Whistle asked herself. “The Mother Day’s parade she took me too when I was down when my mom couldn’t attend? When I broke a leg and she stayed by my bed day and night? Or, could it had been when her mom passed away?”

Whistle pondered until her pondering became even more confused, so much so she gave herself a headache. As she tried shaking it off the diner’s door suddenly opened and out came Sparkleworks and Star Catcher who were deep in conversion.

“So, she made her horn invisible? Can you do that?” asked Sparkleworks as she helped Star Catcher tighten her coat.

“Even after our special night, you still believe the rumor that I’m an Alicorn?” Star Catcher giggled but fell silent as she noticed Whistle, the book still clutched to her chest.

Sparkleworks noticed her too after she had saw Star Catcher’s expression, smiling she said “Oh hey Whistle, why are you out so late?”

There was a moment where Whistle didn’t speak and it didn’t take long for Sparkleworks to notice a tear or two on her face. She went to say something but just then Whistle leapt and embraced her in the tightest hug Whistle had ever gave.

“Ack! H-Help---can’t---brea-ack!” Sparkleworks mumbled, she swore she had just felt her lungs burst.

Star Catcher laughed but after Sparkleworks gave a painful gasp she used her wings to separate the two.

“What---gives--?!” Sparkleworks asked holding her chest and was worried that Whistle had shattered her ribs.

Whistle just gave a smile, her tail wagging, “Let’s go home!” she whistled. She turned around and stopped mid-gallop as she suddenly remembered “Oh right..clouds..”

Sparkleworks and Star Catcher stared at each other and wondered why Whistle was so cheerful, then they galloped to catch up with her when they saw she was already a mile ahead. The trot was fun, definitely more fun than trotting alone. The two mares had noticed Whistle seemed to be happy and that she kept avoiding their questions at why, Whistle felt like they knew she had overheard them but she didn’t dare to ask them.

A good hint that they knew was the sudden blush on Sparkleworks’ face, although Whistle had assumed it was something that Star Catcher had said in a whisper.

“It’s nothing, we were just catching up on old times” Star Catcher had said when Whistle raised an eyebrow at her.

“It’s been, three years, hasn’t it?” Whistle asked flying upside down. She was holding her saddlebag up right so she wouldn’t drop the contents again.

“Four, actually” Sparkleworks answered, adding “Can you please stop flying backwards while upside down? You could run into something”.

Whistle rolled her eyes, spun in a circle and landed, she giggled at Sparkleworks.

“Tomorrow is Hearth’s Warming, are you excited Sparky? I’m sure am!” Whistle asked, humming to herself.

Sparkleworks laughed, “Well the faster you get in bed the faster you can ope--” she suddenly paused and stared at Whistle curiously. “Why did you just call me Sparky?”

Whistle froze mid-hop, slowly landing on her hooves she rubbed the back of her neck. “N-No reason..it is a old nickname, isn’t it?”

Star Catcher giggled, interrupting Sparkleworks before she even had a chance she started to say “I thought I was the only one who called her that” when suddenly a ear piercing scream had interrupted her.

GUARDS! SOMEPONY HELP!”