• Published 30th Aug 2016
  • 7,247 Views, 311 Comments

The TwiDash Imperium - MatCor1337



Twilight finds the mirror-portal behind Princess Celestia's throne after being left behind at the wedding rehearsal. But instead of Canterlot High, it sends herself, Rainbow Dash and Spike to Terra before the Unification Wars.

  • ...
23
 311
 7,247

The Return

Eleven months later…

It has been nearly a year since the Canterlot wedding and the Changeling invasion. The ponies were surprised when Princess Luna had interrupted the wedding with another Cadence in toe, but then shocked when the one they were catering revealed herself to be some kind of pony/insect queen that managed to defeat Princess Celestia and commanded her army to attack the city.

About half an hour after the battle began, if it can even be called that with the lack of casualties or even injuries that weren’t more than a few days rest worth, Shining Armor and the real Princess Cadence used their love to create a shockwave that banished all Changelings to the Badlands. After a short victory celebration, the ponies immediately begun to rebuild the city and prepare for the real wedding, but when Princess Luna asked where Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash and Spike were, everything went downhill.

Cadence had called off the wedding until they were found and Celestia sent her Royal Guards to search high and low for the mares and dragon. Hours of searching turned into days, days into weeks, and weeks into months with nothing. It was bad enough that part of the nation’s defence was missing, but the princesses and other bearers had to postpone the search when the Crystal Empire had reappeared and they had to save it from King Sombra lest they have a war.

They went to every big city, every small town, and found no trace of them. So sadly by the time the sixth month ended, everypony lost hope. Night Light and Twilight Velvet mourned the loss of their daughter, unable to comprehend the situation. Celestia and Luna tried location spells but they never worked. The Solar Princess was about to lose all hope, until she made a discovery.

The hidden door behind her throne was opened. Finally making a breakthrough, Celestia herself and her entire arcane council spent two whole months studying the mirror to find a way to bring back Twilight, Rainbow and Spike without going through it without risking themselves. And after so long of searching and a few extra months for caution, they’ll finally have their friends back home.

Presently, the three princesses of Equestria stood in one of Canterlot’s tallest towers with a large and intricate runic circle in front of them, the Elements of Magic and Loyalty in the center. Also in the chamber were Shining Armor, the rest of the Mane Six, Twilight Velvet, Night Light, Rainbow Dash’s parents - Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles - some magai and a few guards. When Velvet and Night were told what was believed to be the reason for Twilight’s disappearance, they were understandably upset. Velvet shouted so much and so loudly that she could barely speak for a week due to how sore her throat was. When Bow and Windy were told, they were of course disappointed with the ponies involved but said that they were proud of their daughter staying by someone who needed her.

“Is everything prepared?” Princess Celestia asked the magai, earning nods from all of them. “Good. Everypony in position.” She commanded.

Once the princesses, arcane council and Element Bearers got into their assigned places, Princess Celestia ignited her horn, Luna, Cadence and the magai following suit. As the runic circle began to glow, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Fluttershy and Applejack thought of and focused on their friendship with Rainbow and Twilight. They felt a hot, burning sensation in their chests as the Elements around their necks started glowing, almost as though they were challenging the resolve of the mares.

Not long after repairs to Canterlot were complete, Celestia attempted to use the Elements to locate the missing mares and dragon, but like Rainbow Dash the Bearers and princesses were floored by the anger behind the Elements. Cadence had seen and settled many arguments between ponies, but even she was stumped by the raw, unfiltered fury expressed by Equestria’s first - and seemingly only - line of defence. This event only showed the Alicorn Sisters that there was more to the Elements than they’d ever thought before.

The Elements of Magic and Loyalty started glowing a bright violet and magenta respectively, now floating above the ground slightly. Everything that was using magic were now glowing even brighter as more energy was put into the spell.
After nearly two minutes of no progress, they finally felt it; a tug. They’d found them.

Princess Celestia instructed the ponies around the circle to use more power whilst she, Luna and Cadence concentrated on the spellwork that would retrieve to two mares. The Elements of Magic and Loyalty began to glow even brighter now, so much so that everypony had to close their eyes to avoid being blinded, and started forming some sort of sphere of light. Soon, after about another minute, there was a huge flash, followed by a massive shockwave that knocked all the ponies of their hooves.

Waiting a few moments for the spots in her eyes and ringing in her ears to clear up, Celestia stood back up and looked towards the circle… then blinked and tilted her head in confusion.

In the middle of the room was a very large wood four-poster bed with red velvet sheets and curtains that were open, metal plates sculpted into various designs were placed onto the bed frame with some jewels embedded around them. One of the images the sun princess more easily identified resembled the silhouette of a two-headed eagle, and the others that she could see were unusual to her: a black wolf with a crescent moon in its maw, a metallic hand, a dragon's head, a white upside-down omega symbol, a strange sun-esk symbol, a sword framed by two wings, some kind of metal skull, a horned and fanged skull with blood-red bat wings, a skull with a black sword going through its eye, and a hydra.

Celestia grew worrisome at how grim the symbols became as she saw them, though none of those seemed to be what the other Equestrians were focused on. On the posts and facing outwards from the bed were skulls, covering the posts almost entirely if it weren't for the wide gold bands dividing each 'ring', which also had many fine jewels along the edges and a floral pattern etched into them.

When she stepped closer to the bed, Celestia finally noticed that there were two oddly shaped creatures that she’s only seen once before under the sheets, soundly asleep and close together. She raised her head and saw the Elements of Magic and Loyalty resting on top of the headboard above the sleeping humans.

By this time the other ponies were on their hooves and some nervously stepping closer to what they’d summoned. Irritated that it wasn’t what they wanted, coupled with the past eleven months of stress, Shining Armor brashly says, “What the hay is this? We were trying to bring my little sister and her friend back home, not get whatever these things are.”

Cadence shot her fiance a small glare before going over to Celestia. “Auntie, what are these creatures? Why did the spell bring them here and not Twilight and Rainbow Dash?” she asks. The eldest princess was about to reply but stopped herself when Luna suddenly gasped.

“Sister, look… their manes.” She said, pointing a hoof towards their heads. Confused, Celestia and the others did so and gasped as well. One had straight-cut, midnight blue hair that had a pink and purple stripe and a lavender horn coming through from its forehead, whilst the other’s hair was messy and was in all the colors of the rainbow.

“It can’t be…” Celestia whispered, shocked at what this seemed to imply. Everypony else around the bed wanted to express their own disbelief, but the fidgeting and groaning of the rainbow haired human made them freeze.

“Huh? We there already?” she grumbled tiredly in a familiar voice. She slowly started to sit up, stretching her arms and cyan wings with a yawn. After rubbing her eyes a bit to get the sleepiness out, she opened them, and in seconds the magenta orbs widened when the colorful equines surrounding her bed registered in her mind. Slowly looking around at the equally shocked faces of the ponies, she then started gently nudging the still sleeping human laying next to her. “Uh, Twi, you might want to get up. We’ve got a bit of a problem.”

The sleeping woman groaned but started getting up. “What, Rainbow? Did we run into an Ork fleet or something?” she said, doing the same as her partner did just moments ago. She her violet eyes slowly opened then quickly widened as she scanned the room and the faces of the ponies watching them. “...Oh…”

“T-Twilight? Dashie? I-Is it really you?” Pinkie asks timidly, still unnerved by all the skulls and symbols on the bed frame. The two humans were silent and shared a nervous expression. After seemingly having a mental debate between each other, they both sighed and shifted their gaze to the gathered ponies.

“Yeah, it’s us.” Twilight said at last.

“But how? Why have you become a completely different species?” Rarity quipes dramatically.

“And why were ya’ll sleeping in the same bed?” Applejack questions, truly curious of the reason for their sleeping arrangements, though she had an idea.

The returned Equestrians were about to answer their current questions, but were stopped when they were both brought into tight hugs by their parents, Twilight’s coming from her right and Rainbow’s coming from her left.

“Oh, Twilight! We’ve missed you so much!” Velvet cried, overcome by the joy she felt having her daughter back, regardless that she wasn’t a pony.

“My sweet little Dashie! We’ve been so worried about you; we thought we’d never see you again!” Windy Whistles sobbed. Night Light and Bow Hotfoot remained silent as tears of joy fell down their cheeks, their wives having already said what they felt.

Twilight and Rainbow were still for a second, but the comforting embrace from their loving parents instantly broke through the walls made from so many years of near non-stop fighting and death that they’d lived through until recently. When they finally realised that they didn’t only have each others and sometimes Spike’s shoulders to lean on, Rainbow and Twilight returned the hug and wept in happiness also. “I’ve missed you too.” They both said through their tears. After another minute the four ponies and two humans separated and wiped their faces free of any more tears. They all smiled at each other until Princess Celestia politely cleared her throat.

“Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, it is very good to see you both home at last and in good health, but I believe that I speak for everypony when I say that an explanation would be much appreciated.” She said, the other ponies in the room nodding.

Rainbow and Twilight glanced at each other and nodded. “I think that’s only fair, but can we get some clothes first? I really don’t want to spend all day walking around the castle in nothing but my underwear. And maybe some food would be nice.” Spoke Twilight.

“I’m sure that can be arranged. Rarity could easily put together a new set of clothes that fit your new bodies, and I’ll have the kitchens prepare a large meal for all of us.” Celestia responded with a kind smile. “I’ll even have the guards take your… bed, to one of the castle guest rooms.”

“Thanks, we appreciate it.” Twilight said as she and Rainbow shuffled out of their bed at either side. They were both wearing black sports bras and matching underwear that had a print of the same two-headed eagle on the bed frame, the only difference was that they had each other’s cutie mark on the left breast.

“Alright, darlings, follow me and we’ll make you the most beautiful… uh, whatever you are, in all of Equestria!” said Rarity, already heading to the exit and having ideas swimming in her mind.

As they followed the fashionista, Rainbow Dash stepped to Twilight’s side, wrapping an arm around her waist and a wing around her shoulder, pulling them close together. “Thanks for the help Rares, but that won’t be hard as we’re the only humans on the planet!” she joked, making Twilight giggle and lean onto her shoulder. Though some of the others laughed as well, most of them had an awkward expression on their faces as they witnessed how the two acted together.

Cadence stared at the retreating forms of her old charge and her ‘friend’ before she ignited her horn. Shining Armor quickly took notice of his fiance’s actions. “Cadey, what are you doing?” he asks.

“I’m just che-” she started, but stopped herself with a barely audible gasp, her eyes widening and jaw dropping slightly.

“Honey, what’s wrong?”

Cadence shook her head and regained her senses, giving the white stallion a soft, if slightly awkward, smile. “Oh, it’s nothing. Just thought I saw something odd, but everything’s fine.” She said. Shining didn’t look entirely convinced, but let it go for now. As the two began following everypony else out of the room, however, Cadence did say to herself in her mind, ‘Though I think I need to reevaluate what I think love is.’


=][=


Twilight and Rainbow were sitting in a room lined from wall to wall and almost floor to ceiling in fabrics, accessories, jewelry and just about anything and everything that had something to do with fashion as Rarity took their measurements. On the way here they passed by many servants and guards that were of course surprised to see two humans walking around the castle and perhaps a little frightened. Though news of their presence seemed to have spread quickly, as when they’d gotten closer to the room they were in now, the looks they got ranged from mild curiosity from the servants and silent glares from the guards, and although it unnerved them the girls had a good idea what they were for.

After about a minute or two of the only sound in the room being Rarity’s humming, Rainbow Dash decided to ask Twilight a question. “Hey, Twi, do you think Senator Amidala has to deal with this often?”

Twilight blinked, caught off guard by the sudden question. “Padme? What do you mean?”
“Well, she has a different dress and hairstyle for all sorts of occasions, so I was wondering if she ever got hassled for being fitted with some new and extravagant costume. No offence Rarity.”

“Non taken, darling.” Said the fashion designer instantly, causing the two humans to laugh as she finished taking Rainbow’s measurements. “Though I am overjoyed to have you both back home, I must admit that I’m a little put off by your… ‘roughness’.” She continued, gently prodding the former pegasus’ abs.

“When you’ve seen what we’ve seen and do what we do, you’ll understand that it pays to be at your physical peak.” Twilight told Rarity. “Though it isn’t all bad; I could just barely feel it before but now I can confirm that Rainbow and have actually gained earth-pony magic, making us stronger than most even if our muscles aren’t as ‘big’ as theirs.”

“The look on Angron’s face when I beat him at our first arm wrestle was priceless!” Rainbow laughed.

Rarity lightly cleared her throat when she started taking Twilight’s measurements. “Pardon me for being rude darlings, but who are these people you’re talking about?” she asks.

“We’ll explain later, but for now, Padme and her family are friends of ours and Angron is one of Rainbow’s sons.” Responded Twilight, smirking at the expression Rarity made.

“Oh my gosh, darling! Your son!? And you have others!? Oh darling, who’s the lucky stallion? When did you meet? How many children do you have? Details, details!” she screamed excitedly, anxious to hear the whole story.

“Nuh ah ah, Rares, you’re gonna have to wait with everyone else to find out.” Rainbow teased with her own smirk as the fashionista pouted. “Besides, it’s not what you think.”

Rarity huffed and moved behind Twilight to continue working. “Fine then, but I’d expect you to-” she stopped talking and gasped when she saw large, ugly scars on the former unicorn’s back. “My goodness, Twilight! Where did you get these horrible scars?”

Twilight tensed, her breath hitching, eyes widening and heart racing. The memories of the Heresy coming back with a vengeance. “No… no, please no…” she whispered, her hands grasping the sides of her head, tears building up in her eyes. “No… Horus…”

Rainbow quickly went to Twilight’s side, pulling her into a tight embrace. “Shh~, it’s okay, Twilight. Everything’s okay; you’re alright, we’re all fine. It’s okay.” Twilight cried on Dash’s shoulder as she soothed her and rubbed her back, repeatedly muttering ‘Horus’.

“Oh, I’m so sorry darlings. Will she be okay? Is there anything I can do to make things better?” Rarity asks, fearing that she’d just brought up a horrible memory.

Rainbow idly kissed the top of Twilight’s head, rocking a little. “Nah, it’s fine Rares. Just… give us a minute, kay?”

“Of course, Rainbow darling. Twilight’s measurements are almost identical to yours, so I can work with what I have.” Getting a nod, Rarity trotted off to her workbench as her magic acquired the fabrics she’d need.

Twilight’s sobbing started to lessen and stopped shaking. “I’m sorry…” she moaned with a sniff, raising her head to look at Rainbow better.

“Hey, don’t say that. None of it’s your fault; there’s nothing you could’ve done to change anything.”

“I could’ve been there for him, I could have prevented him from falling to Chaos, but now… now he’s gone.” Twilight lowered her head as more tears began to well up in her eyes.

“Twilight, look at me.” Rainbow said sternly. Twilight did so, surprised by her tone. “It was out of your control and you couldn’t have predicted anything. Everyone was caught off guard when Magnus told us that Horus had fallen. I don’t mean to undermine your pain, but if anyone should be blaming themselves for the Heresy, it’s me. Lorgar was the first to be corrupted, and he spread it through his and Horus’ Legions. What happened in that ship was not your fault and no one blames you for anything, so please stop blaming yourself.”

Twilight was silent for a moment, but she’d calmed down a lot and rested her head on Rainbow’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, Dashie, that must’ve been the twenty-thousandth time you told me that.”

“Two-thousand, three-hundred and seventy-fourth time to be exact.” Said Rainbow, causing both girls to laugh. They sat in silence for a few minutes until Twilight shifted so that she was eye to eye to Rainbow, who started leaning forward slightly. “I love you Twilight, and nothing in the universe will ever change that.” The former pegasus whispered.

“I love you too Rainbow, more than anything.” Twilight whispered back, meeting her lover halfway for a small yet passionate kiss.

The kiss was interrupted by a shocked gasp, causing the lovers to separate and look in the direction they knew Rarity was working, and saw her with two dresses floating behind her and a shocked look on her face.

“What is it, Rarity? Is something wrong?” Twilight asks.

“You were kissing!” the white unicorn screamed.

Rainbow crossed her arms over her chest and raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, so? We do that a lot, plus we’re married.” She and Twilight proved this by raising their left hands that showed a gold ring one of the fingers.

“But you’re mares! Two mares can’t be together just like two stallions can’t be together, it’s just not natural!” Rarity continued to wail.

Rainbow Dash facepalmed with a loud groan as Twilight simply sighed. “I was afraid that’s what the glares were for.”

“Look Rares, we were gonna tell everyone, so can you please just keep it to yourself until then?” Rainbow asks, though her aggressive undertone told the seamstress that there was no room for debate. Nodding hesitantly, Rarity gave the two humans their dresses and left to wait outside, a million thoughts racing through her mind as she tried to process that two of her best friends, whom she hasn’t seen in almost a year, were married despite being the same gender.

Author's Note:

Probably could've/should've done a better ending for the chapter, but that's all I could think of.