• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 8,960 Views, 506 Comments

Finding a Place - Battlecat



Moving to Canterlot was supposed give Silver Spark a chance to begin again. So far that hasn't worked out.

  • ...
16
 506
 8,960

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 46 - For a Gala

When I appeared on the astral plane, I simply felt weary. Even with all the good, many of the events of the day had left a bitter taste in my mouth. I could tell Spark felt the same as soon as I saw him. We didn’t exchange a single word with each other as the apple orchard by the river shimmered into existence around us. Exactly where we had rested when faced with similar racism the first time I had visited Ponyville.

I slumped down against the tree next to the river and Spark settled down next to me. The two of us closed our eyes and just relaxed, leaning against the tree. After a while, we felt a ripple in the dreamscape that heralded another dreamwalker joining the astral plane. There was only one other pony who could join us here without help so I didn’t worry; I just kept relaxing with my eyes closed.

“Good evening my friends,” Luna said as she trotted out to greet us. “How was thine first day in Canterlot?”

“It was a learning experience,” I said quietly. “The city is gorgeous and we met a few really nice ponies. Unfortunately, not everypony was pleasant.”

Spark sighed and stretched his wings out. “Our equine form apparently comes with some social challenges.”

“What challenges doest thou speak of?” she asked, her voice filling with concern. “My Nightguard have yet to speak of any issues.”

I sighed and stood up to face Luna. “Your concern is appreciated, however, we must beg your patience for one more day. Twilight desperately needs to focus on the gala and I have convinced her that the problem will keep until afterward.”

Luna frowned but nodded her agreement. “Very well, we will restrain our curiosity as best we can but be warned, we will hold you to thine promise. If you are ready, we shall simply move on to the night’s lesson. Once you retrieve your fellow students, we will discuss ways one can temper nightmares with a gentler hoof.”

I nodded and with a thought my temporary refuge dissolved, revealing the glorious starscape of the Equestrian astral plane. From there, Spark and I would easily be able to locate Sunset and Twilight. I hoped they would be as excited about tonight’s lesson as I was.


02-08-1003

All too soon it was time to wake up. As full awareness of the real world came back to me, I felt the comforting warmth of my two marefriends nestled on either side of me under my wings. Even though we’d spent hours together with Princess Luna learning about the nuances of dreamwalking, waking up was still an absolute joy. Tonight I found myself with one wing over Twilight and the other over Sunset. The two of them were both stirring under my embrace.

“Good morning my dears,” I whispered as their eyes opened. I leaned over to nuzzle Twilight’s cheek.

She smiled and leaned into my touch. “Good morning Silver,” she replied quietly. “Are you ready to face the day?”

“I think so,” I sighed. “This isn’t going to be easy though. Yesterday’s incidents made that quite clear.”

“We’ll figure out a way to you safe,” Sunset replied firmly. “I’ll stick beside you like glue for the entire gala if I have to.”

“You’re actually attending?” Twilight asked eagerly. “Are you going to speak with Celestia then?”

Sunset shook her head and levitated a small pendant up and placed it around her neck. When it settled into place, her coat shifted from her usual pale yellow to darker orange. Her two-toned mane changed to a mixture of burgundy and pale yellow. Her cyan eyes became slightly bluer. Even her cutie mark had changed into a bright yellow flower.”

“Sadly Sunset Shimmer won’t be able to attend,” She said; her voice the only feature that was unchanged. “Fortunately, my old friend Marigold was delighted to take the ticket I offered her.”

“Cute, it’s nice to meet you Marigold” Twilight replied. “It’s too bad Sunset can’t come with us. I’m glad you’ll be able to help keep my coltfriend out of trouble.”

“It will be my pleasure,” Sunset replied, levitating the necklace away. “I recreated this a few days ago based on the ones you made for our human friends. I something similar one when I was Celestia’s student so I could sneak out of the palace in secret. It won’t hold up to scrutiny so I’m going to spend the evening out in the gardens.”

I blinked. “Just how common are these disguise spells? Back home, they’d be a ridiculous security risk. There are few people I’d trust with the ability to hide so effectively.”

“The armor of every royal guard has a similar disguise spell built right in,” Twilight replied. “The magic is simply cosmetic and there are several reliable `ways to identify a specific guard if there’s an incident.”

“Really?” Sunset said in surprise. “When did that get changed? The royal guard enchantments were immaculate clones when I was a student. It was hard to even tell mares from stallions back then.”

I was surprised to see Twilight’s face darken and a flicker of guilt flash across her face.

“That was changed a few years ago,” Twilight said morosely. “The disguise spell was revised during the last round of enchantment renewals. So! Are you two ready to tell everypony the whole truth after the dance?”

Sunset raised her eyebrow at Twilights response and quick change of subject. It was clear she didn’t want us to ask any other questions about the guards. Sunset just leaned in and nuzzled Twilight’s cheek comfortingly.

“I still think we could have told your friends last night,” I added. “Our friends at CHS were incredibly supportive even though herd type relationships aren’t normal for humans.”

“I love my friends but I need them focused tonight,” Twilight said while shaking her head. “Pinkie and Rarity would go a bit crazy if they found out ahead of time. You saw the extents Rarity’s human counterpart went to for our outfits. I can’t afford to have anypony planning unrelated parties and outfits they have no time for today. Once the Gala is winding down we can relax and tell them everything. Please, just one more day.”

I realized Twilight was doing her absolute best to not freak out over the upcoming Gala. This didn’t have anything to do with her friends; she was just trying to control the amount of stress. Before we could continue our conversation we were interrupted by a knock at the door. The three of us quickly hopped out of bed. Sunset and I waited out of sight while Twilight went to answer the door.

“May I come in?” I heard Cadance ask quietly.

“Of course you can,” Twilight replied. “Where’s Shining Armor?”

“My dear husband is taking care of a few errands for me,” she sighed as she walked in where I could see her. Cadance just looked exhausted. “He’s going to be busy for most of the day. Silver Spark, would you please accept my personal apology for my husband’s behavior?”

“You have nothing to apologize for but I’ll accept it if it makes you feel better,” I replied as I walked out to the living room. “I’m not sure anybody could have seen that coming. I was prepared for a bit of stereotypical older brother intimidation not well, what happened.”

Cadance looked at the floor and muttered almost silently, “That’s probably why I had to be here for the Gala.” I don’t think she meant for anyone to hear so I contained my curiosity but her choice of words was intriguing.

Silver, do you think she actually had a premonition?
What, you mean like a vision? Is prophecy a thing Spark?
I have no idea but we’re in a magical world. It’s not much of a stretch honestly.
True. Cadance almost sounded like she didn’t know why she came to Canterlot.
Still, she showed up anyhow. That kind of faith in a hunch is frightening.

“I can’t stay long Twilight,” Cadance continued out loud. “I just wanted to drop this off for Silver.”

She levitated a small silver medallion over to me and draped the chain around my neck. There was a sun made from gold molded into the medallion. It was stunning metalwork and the boundary between the two metals was almost seamless. While I examined it, I heard Twilight let out a sigh of relief.

“I had forgotten about the emissary medallions. That takes care of a huge worry; thank you for thinking of it!”

“Actually, it was Shining Armor’s who suggested this,” Cadance replied. “It’s not a perfect solution but it will keep the Royal Guards from harassing Silver until we can fix the larger problem.”

“Shining Armor?” I asked nervously. “I’m not sure I’m comfortable wearing a medallion from him.”

“I appreciate your concern but it isn't from my husband,” Cadance sighed. “It was only his idea; he hasn’t touched this medallion.”

Twilight gave me a comforting nuzzle. “He might not like you but tampering with an official emissary medallion would be a greater violation of his training. If word of that got out it would severely hurt Equestria’s relationship with other countries.”

“Ok, so I’ll accept it’s probably not a trap then,” I replied, looking the trinket dubiously. “Is little gold medallion like this really enough to keep the guards at bay? Wouldn’t this be trivial to counterfeit? I have the tools to make something exactly like this in my own workshop.”

“Oh ye of little faith,” Sunset replied. “These medallions are laced with two spells. One of them is a trace of Princess Celestia’s magic. It’s trivial for a guard to verify and absolutely unforgeable. No guard would dare lay a hoof on anyone wearing that without first consulting the princess. All royally sanctioned ambassadors have one of these.”

“Right, that would do it,” I muttered. “So what’s the other spell?”

“Theft insurance,” Sunset giggled. “Only an Alicorn has the power to attune these amulets to the wearer. Everypony radiates a small amount of magic so if anypony else takes that amulet, Celestia’s magic will heat up the metal if worn by anypony else until it melts.”

“Ouch!” I winced. “Yeah, that would make them pretty difficult to forge or steal.”

“Yes it does,” Cadance added before grinning. “So, did you three want to me and Celestia for breakfast?”

Sunset shivered and shook her head. “You two can go but I’m not ready to face her yet. I still can’t believe you two managed to talk me into coming here at all.”

“That’s ok Sunset, we can have breakfast brought here,” Twilight replied. “I don’t have time in my schedule today for a sedate breakfast. I need to go finish Gala preparations soon so I’ll have to see her this evening. Thank you for the invitation though.”

Cadance nodded and took her leave with a smile on her face. Soon the three of us had breakfast and Twilight then departed. Sunset and I settled in to relax for the day while we waited for the actual Gala to start.


I arrived at the gala with Twilight at my side. She had rushed down to fetch us just before it was scheduled to start. Twilight’s dress was a pale blue with an orange bow tied around her barrel and Sunset’s was orange with red and gold stars. The coloring matched her normal appearance and her Marigold disguise fairly nicely. It occurred to me that she must have worked this out with Rarity in advance. She was following a short distance behind, wearing her disguise.

My suit was slate grey somewhat similar to a human suit jacket. There was a white shirt underneath with gold buttons holding it closed. My front legs were in the sleeves and the coat covered my back with slots for my wings. A simple red bow tie rounded out the ensemble. I had to compliment Rarity on her work even though I was feeling quite self-conscious.

As we walked into the main hall, I got my first look at Princess Celestia when I wasn’t distracted. She stood at least twice as tall as most of the other ponies. During our first meeting, I hadn’t really noted how her mane seemed to flow as if caught in a nonexistent breeze. I think it was my imagination but I could almost feel the magic radiating from her. Princess Celestia’s eyes brightened when she saw Twilight. Unlike Cadance, her expression didn’t change when she saw me. I walked up and bowed politely to her.

“Please rise,” Celestia said. “Good evening Twilight. I was informed you would have a companion who would be wearing an Emissary medallion tonight. Princess Cadance was strangely coy about the identity of that pony and now I see why.”

“I hope that’s ok,” Twilight stammered. “I- well- Princess Celestia, this is Silver Spark.”

“Indeed it is, I remember him well,” she replied, giving me a warm smile. “I’m pleased to see you in good health. Have you and Sunset been faring well in your world?”

“Quite well your highness,” I replied, while Sunset in her disguise slipping past us. “Sunset is a wonderful mare and the threats to our lives have settled down. The other students are accepting us for the most part. Even better, we seem to have managed to befriend the Sirens.”

“A surprising achievement,” Celestia said while craning her neck to look around. “Starswirl once said it was fortunate fate lead him to the other Pillars of Equestria when they appeared. He felt the sirens were more dangerous to Equestria as the Windigos. Did Sunset not accompany you tonight?”

“Sunset sent her regrets but she just doesn’t feel ready to face you,” Twilight sighed. “She still feels like she has to do more to prove she’s changed. I think our relationship hasn’t helped her comfort either.”

Celestia’s face fell when she heard Sunset Was absent but her ears perked up when she heard Twilight’s last comment. “What kind of relationship do you speak of? I was certain you mentioned Sunset was romantically involved with your companion. Is there something you would like to share?”

Twilight froze and I put my front hoof against my face. I was pretty certain this wasn’t how Twilight had planned on informing her mentor. I sighed and spread my wings wide, gently draping over my marefriend’s back. She squeaked with surprise but made no move to escape. I did my best not to cower as I chose my words carefully.

“Twilight is my marefriend as well,” I said quietly. “All three of us have been in a relationship for a bit over a month now.”

“A trio?” Celestia frowned at Twilight. “Do you really believe such a relationship is appropriate Princess Twilight?”

I felt Twilight shiver under my wing when Celestia put emphasis on her title. For a moment I was afraid she was going to wilt under the elder princess’s gaze. Instead of collapsing into a stuttering mess, she instead took a deep breath. I felt her straighten up under my wing and she looked up at the elder Princess.

“Yes I do,” Twilight said confidently. “The day we started dating is almost as wonderful as the day you told me I could stay in Ponyville.”

When Twilight spoke of Celestia, I had noticed she was always reverent and quite deferential. Sunset’s reaction to the name was also deferential but tinged with regret. It was apparent Princess Celestia was a very important pony in both their lives. As such, Twilight’s reaction caught me off guard. The princess looked equally surprised but a small, pleased smile graced her face.

“I’m glad to hear that Twilight,” Celestia beamed. “I’m relieved you stood your ground on the things that truly matter to you. Would you mind letting me speak with Silver Spark for a moment? I believe Applejack needed a moment of your time.”

Twilight nodded, nuzzled my cheek and practically bounced off. The two of us watched her go for a moment. Then Princess Celestia turned and looked down at me. Her expression was neutral, the kind of inscrutable look I’d expect from an immortal.

“Sunset and Twilight are both very dear to me,” she said quietly. “What are your intentions?”

“Those two ponies brought the light back to my life,” I replied, smiling at the memory. “The times the three of us spend together are some of the best I’ve had. I’ll do whatever is necessary to see a smile on their faces.”

Celestia nodded. “I would very much like to speak with you further on this but I fear this is not the time. There are many guests waiting patiently. Please enjoy your evening Silver Spark; I look forward to speaking with you again in the future.”

I bowed and walked out into the hall where the Gala was already getting started. Dozens of ponies were already milling about chatting. I turned my attention to Spark briefly while I looked around.

That is not the behavior I’d expect from a pony responsible for a racist policy.
I really don’t think Celestia is involved. There has to be something else going on.
I hope you’re right Silver because I really don’t like those looks the other ponies are giving us.
I was trying not to think about it.

I noticed Vinyl’s pony counterpart was up on the stage acting as the DJ. I saw several of Twilight’s other Ponyville friends dashing around the hall. Rarity and Pinkie were working on decorations and Applejack was directing the setup of the food tables. I was sure Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were around somewhere as well. Twilight came trotting back and nuzzled my cheek.

“I have to greet the guests with Celestia,” she whispered in my ear. “I’ll try to catch up with you for a dance a little later.”

“It’s a deal, my princess,” I whispered back. “If anybody stallions bother you, just tell them you have a date.”

I walked over towards the stage where Rarity was preparing the decorations. She smiled when she saw me walk over

“Why don’t you look handsome tonight,” Rarity exclaimed.

I gestured at my suit with one hoof, formulating a proper reply. “Thine skill with the fabric and thread have worked wonders. I am most grateful for your efforts, Lady Belle.”

“Why, thank you, kind sir,” Rarity giggled. “Such skill with language! I’m sure my counterpart finds this trait quite endearing.”

“Perhaps thou shalt have to inquire thyself,” I grinned at her. “No matter the world, thine fondness for formal language remains a delightful constant.”

“I look forward to that day. I think-”

“So the rumors were true then,” a haughty voice interrupted. “There is a mongrel here harassing the citizens of our fair nation. What a disgusting sight.”

Rarity’s eyes flashed with anger. “I don’t see what business this is of yours, Blueblood.”

I turned around to see who was speaking. A pure white stallion with a blonde mane stood in front of me. He had a nasty sneer on his face, as did the other three other stallions standing with him.

“I don’t believe anypony asked for your opinion, peasant,” Blueblood said to Rarity dismissively before turning his attention back to me. “Everypony needs to know their place and this bat has apparently forgotten where it belongs. Slink off back to your cave barbarian.”

Considering the insults I’d overhead the past few days, this was pitiful. I was just getting tired of the attacks on my appearance both whispered and overt. For the sake of Twilight and my friends, I took a deep breath and pushed the anger back as best I could before responding.

“You gave it a decent shot but I’ve heard more creative insults from foals,” I sighed wearily. “Your pathetic attempt to slander this lovely mare reveals far more about you than I care to know. Now if you’ll excuse us, we were having a pleasant conversation you just rudely interrupted.”

It was almost satisfying to see the self-important stallions sputtering indignantly. I did my best to stay calm but I felt my wings unfurled slightly. I clenched my teeth and felt my lip curled back exposing my sharp canines. The four stallions looked torn between being intimidated and angry. Anger won out as one of them stepped forward aggressively.

“I beg your pardon?!” The pony next to Blueblood asked indignantly. “Do you have any idea who this is?”

“I assume he’s a git with more money than class, just like you,” I shrugged. “I don’t really care who any of you are so why don’t you just move along?”

Rarity’s breath hitched and she started coughing. I wasn’t sure if she was upset or trying to cover up a laugh. The tree stallions gasped with horror and their expressions darkened. For a moment I wondered if they were actually going to get violent but their apparent leader put a stop to that.

“Allow me to educate this dullard Jet Set,” the white fop said, pushing him back with a hoof. “I am Prince Vladimir Blueblood, Twentieth in line from Princess Platinum and nephew to Princess Celestia. Now show me the respect I am due!”

“I’ll happily show you the respect you’ve earned,” I snorted, feeling a bit more irritated. “I judge ponies on their actions not their bloodline. You haven’t done yourself any favors so far.”

I felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle when Blueblood smiled coldly. “You wear that pendant as an outsider to Equestria. However, I have been informed you are attempting to manipulate Princess Twilight and another unicorn from our fair city. Do you deny this?”

“They were kind enough to show me around Canterlot,” I growled. “Accusations of manipulation or anything else is baseless, so shove off.”

“A likely story,” Blueblood snorted. “I have no doubt you are simply attempting to worm your way into the graces of our naive young princess. As such it is my sworn duty to stop you. By the old laws, I claim herd dominance. Do you yield to my superiority, barbarian?”

He was starting to get on my nerves. “Bugger off, I will not yield to you or anypony else,” I snapped before turning to Rarity. “Now, do you need any- are you two ok?”

Rarity had her hoof over her mouth and looked slightly ill. Applejack had apparently walked over to see what the fuss was about. I was concerned when I saw she looked just as worried as Rarity. She shook her head and gestured for me to look back at Blueblood. When I turned back, the expression on Blueblood’s faces made a cold chill run down my back.

“Very well, the challenge is accepted,” Blueblood said the satisfaction clear on his face and in his voice.

“Witnessed!” Jet Set echoed smugly. “Present yourself at the Canterlot Arena for the duel at noon in two days or flee back to your cave like the cowardly beast you are.”

Blueblood and his sycophants trotted off with his sycophants in tow. I felt a sinking feeling in my heart as I watched them go. Then I turned back to Applejack and Rarity who looked disgusted.

“Ugh, that no good sidewinder!” Applejack grumbled. “Ah’ thought we were done with that pompous fool when you put him in his place two years back Rarity.”

I put my hoof on my forehead and sighed. “How bad is this?”

“The worst possible thing,” Rarity said quietly, without any of the normal playful drama. She sounded quite worried. “Why did you accept his challenge Silver?”

“Ah have to agree, Rares,” Applejack replied. “Accepting was a dang fool thin to do.”

“Oh come on, how was I supposed to know I was accepting a formal challenge?” I grumbled. “I’ve been in a few but they were all for fun, not real stakes. What is this old law?”

“It is the herd law from the pre-unification times,” Rarity replied. “Stallions would duel for dominance, leadership and the right to breed. It’s occasionally mentioned in romance novels but I have heard it being used among the noble classes to gain influence.”

“Ah’ve heard similar but it’s a dang foolish tradition,” Applejack added. “More like something animals would do than civilized folk. Ya’ll will have to fight Blueblood hoof to hoof an’ magic to magic. Nothin’ more. Loser has to obey the demands of the victor.”

I nodded. “Right, so a Unicorn who has years of experience with his magic against a Thestral who occasionally forgets he has wings. Lovely. This old law still has legal force?”

“Not legally but it’s a long-standing tradition,” Applejack replied. “Blueblood could use it to make yer time here in Equestria pretty miserable. ‘Specially with you bein’ from outside Equestria.”

“What I can’t understand is why they’d target you,” Rarity mused, eying me curiously. “Is there something you and Twilight aren’t telling us?”

Rarity’s inquisitive expression reminded me of my promise. “I will neither confirm nor deny anything until after the Gala. I beg of you, don’t bother Twilight with any of this until afterward. She’s doing an amazing job keeping calm but it wouldn’t take much to mess that up.”

It was moments like this where I truly began to believe in Murphy’s Law. I had barely finished speaking when the herald at the door began calling out the name of the newest arrival.

“Announcing the spirit of chaos, Discord, and his guest, the, uh . . .” The herald paused for a moment as if consulting someone. “The Smooze!” he concluded in a wavering voice.

“The what?” I muttered. Applejack and Rarity didn’t hear me; they were looking towards the entrance hall with concerned expressions on their faces.

“Dangit, I think that might be comin’ up on the last straw fer Twilight,” Applejack muttered. “We’ll talk more ‘bout this later. Least you’ve got two days to prepare.”

“Chin up darling, you’re not going to face this alone,” Rarity added.

Applejack and Rarity hurried off to start whatever damage control would be necessary with the arrival of Discord. I walked over to a quiet corner of the Gala floor where a number of tables were set up. I closed my eyes and laid my head down on the table. Even with their optimism, the events of the last two days were beginning to take their toll on me.

My mind was a mess as I tried to comprehend the sheer disdain other ponies seemed to hold for me just because I was a Thestral. I wasn’t looking forward to explaining the scale of my error to Sunset and Twilight. Sweet Luna, how was I going to win a duel with a unicorn? Spark didn’t have any useful suggestions or smart-aleck remarks. He was feeling just a floored by the circumstances as I was. For a while, I just tried to gather my thoughts while the gala flowed around me.

Is this one feeling sorrow?” a strange voice inquired.

“Yeah, just a little bit,” I sighed, not bothering to lift my head. “I just bucked up big time.”

This one will listen to your problems without prejudice.

“Sure, why not,” I groaned. “It wouldn’t be the dumbest thing I’ve done today. Just a short time ago, I accepted a challenge like a moron. If I lose the challenge, I’m probably going to be banished from Equestria. Plus, my marefriends are going to kill me when they find out. The whole thing is the icing on the cake after everything that’s happened here in Canterlot. Just because I look a bit different from the pony norm.”

This one expresses its sympathies even though this pony cannot hear them. This one is always saddened when ponies treat others poorly.

I hadn’t really been paying careful attention to the speaker while I complained but now the last comment caught my attention. The odd phrasing and the somewhat monotone voice finally clicked into place in my mind. My eyes snapped open and I lifted my head up in a start. I found myself staring at a huge lime green blob that was sitting next to my table. It had a top hat on its head and a red bow tie about where its neck would be. The whole sight was absolutely bizarre and reminded me of an overturned bowl of jello.

“Hold on, was that you speaking?” I asked the blob.

The blob almost seemed to blink, quite an accomplishment for a creature with no obvious eyes. When it spoke, there was a small tinge of surprise in the otherwise monotone voice.

A pony can hear this one’s words? How odd, this one believed all ponies were deaf.

The voice was clearly coming from the blob even though there was no mouth visible. It was a strange voice that seemed to somehow have color as well as words. My science teacher had mentioned something called Synesthesia during one class but I hadn’t really appreciated how weird it would be to experience. Now I could honestly say this blob creatures voice sounded green. Every time the blob spoke, I saw a flash of green in my mind. It was really disconcerting and would probably give me a headache if it went on too long.

“Apparently I can,” I said cautiously. “I have no idea how but I’m not complaining. I must admit, I haven’t ever seen a being like you before in all my life. I’m Silver Spark.”

This one is pleased to meet the pony called Silver Spark. This one is known as Smooze and it is of the Smooze. This one was brought to this strange gathering of ponies by the one you may know as the Discord. This one was afraid the Discord would be the only who could hear, but now this one has met Silver Spark, the pony who also knows how to listen.

I grinned in spite of the frustration of the day. This was a completely new creature that apparently couldn’t interact with normal ponies. Smooze had a quirky way of speaking that put a small smile on my face. I felt like something was being lost in translation somewhere but this was still amazing.

“Well I hope it helps you feel less isolated,” I replied. “You’ve certainly done the same for me. I appreciate your concern about my feelings.”

This one tries to be aware of the emotions of creatures, unlike the other Smooze. Most are simply indifferent to the brief creatures of the world but the one once known as Smooze was particularly cruel and this one does not mourn its passing. This one is pleased it could add a measure to the spirits of the one known as Silver Spark. Sadly, this one must now find the one known as Discord. May this one locate you at a future time to speak again?

“I would be delighted,” I replied. “Sadly, I’ll be a bit hard to contact but perhaps Discord will be willing to help. Enjoy your evening.”

I watched the Smooze slide away across the floor and shook my head. Just when I thought I had seen everything, this world threw another curveball at me. Now I had made friends with a surprisingly pleasant amorphous slime that had been invited to a dance in the capital city of the ponies by the lord of chaos. At some point, my life had taken a really strange turn. I got up from the table and walked out towards the doors, waving a hoof at Twilight so she knew where I was going.

At least I doubt this evening can get worse.
You’re going to regret saying that Silver.
Oh come on, that’s superstitious nonsense.
So is magic. Don’t tempt fate in a world that runs on it.
You worry too much.

I shook my head as I walked into the cool night air to look for Sunset. The palace gardens were clear of any snow and the air while cool was comfortable. The gardens were extensive and beautiful even in their winter condition. The earliest spring bulbs were already blooming, including several varieties of flowers that I didn’t recognize. I wasn’t really in a position to appreciate it as much as I would have liked. The duel with Blueblood and other issues were weighing on me and I knew I would have to come clean to my marefriends soon. I did my best to push that worry out of my mind as the strains of a slower song began to echo out of the dance hall. With a quick flap of my wings, I glided low over the ground towards the bench where Sunset was relaxing. I landed in front of her and extended my hoof.

“Could I have this dance Lady Shimmer?” I asked.

Sunset smiled when she saw me. “It would be my pleasure Silver Spark.”

Neither of us had a clue how to slow dance as ponies. Sunset hadn’t been interested back when she lived in Equestria and I had only been a pony for a short time. So we just reared up and wrapped our forehooves around each other’s shoulders. We swayed back and forth unsteadily as we slowly spun around on the soft grass, laughing all the while. I honestly didn’t want the moment to end but the sound of hooves on the stone path nearby signaled the end our solitude.

I calmly turned to face the approaching ponies, mentally preparing for the worst. Then my heart skipped a beat when I saw the dark purple armor they were wearing. Their coats were dark grey and it was almost impossible to tell them apart but the cat eyes and wings folded on their backs were unmistakable. I wondered if Thestrals all looked the same or if the Night Guard armor had a similar disguise enchantment.

Well I’ll be darned. They’re Thestrals!
Nightguard from the looks of it. This should be interesting.
I hope so, I really want to know something about the pony race I’m from.
Or even what Thestrals are like in general.

“Good evening,” I said politely. “How are you this evening?”

“Shut up!” the Nightguard on the left snapped. His voice was gravelly and coarse.

“You’re under arrest you disgusting traitor,” the guard on the right growled in a more youthful voice.

They were closer to Sunset’s height, leaving me at least a head taller than the two guards. Still, their dark armor was intimidating. The metal of the armor had an odd purplish iridescent appearance. It reminded me of the Lunar Iron my bracers were made of. As I took this in, I realized their feline eyes weren’t even remotely friendly. In fact, they looked downright pissed.

“Traitor?” Sunset exclaimed. “That’s ridiculous. Silver would never betray Equestria.”

“Equestria,” One of the guards spat. “The world doesn’t revolve around you, Unicorn. Make yourself scarce before we have to take more drastic action.”

“You have to be bucking kidding me,” I muttered, taking a step backward. “Seriously, what’s all this about?”

“He’s going to run!” the older guard snarled. “Take him down, now!”

The only warning I had was a shift in the otherwise still air of the courtyard. Before I could register what that meant, I felt a sharp blow on the back of my head. I crumpled to the ground with my ears ringing painfully. I couldn’t hear anything but I could see a teal barrier come into existence between us and the Thestrals. Sunset’s horn was glowing brightly as she faced down my assailants. In my broken state, I couldn’t quite tell what was going on between my injury and the barrier.

Come on Silver, pull ourself together!
I’m trying Spark. Feel like our head is full of cotton.
Well yeah, we have a concussion! Still, Sunset needs us to get it together before- . . . oh crap.

The glowing teal shield shattered like it was made of glass. I felt the magic discharge through the air as Sunset collapsed to the ground beside me. Her eyes were closed and she wasn’t moving. A third Thestral walked past us and over to the other two guards. I had a feeling this guard was a mare rather than a stallion. I couldn’t make out details but her orange eyes were cold as she examined us. I tried to get my hooves under me to pull myself over to my injured marefriend but it was no use. I needed time to recover but I obviously wasn’t going to get that chance.

“Why?” I croaked out.

The three of them ignored me as they spoke to one another. I tried to make out their words but the ringing in my ears drowned it all out. The three of them watched me struggle to pull myself over to Sunset with unsympathetic expressions. Then the orange-eyed mare spun the spear in her hooves and slammed the butt end of it down on the back of my head again. Sparks of light blinded me for a moment and then everything went black.

Author's Note:

Wow, it's hard to believe I've finally reached this moment. The events of this chapter have been ready in draft form for over a year and I'll admit I'm a bit nervous. I'm not really sure what else to say about this one thoub but chapter 47 is well on its way.

PreviousChapters Next