• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 8,981 Views, 506 Comments

Finding a Place - Battlecat



Moving to Canterlot was supposed give Silver Spark a chance to begin again. So far that hasn't worked out.

  • ...
16
 506
 8,981

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29 - For Gratitude

Thursday, November 24, 2016

“You're sure this is when Spike said they would arrive, Sunset? We've been here a while now.”

“Yes, as close as we could get,” Sunset replied, snuggling closer to me. “Coordinating interdimensional travel isn’t as easy as it sounds. You're not complaining about spending more time with me are you?”

“Perish the thought, my dear,” I chuckled. “Of course I'm not complaining. I'm just wondering why you're not sure exactly when they'll arrive.”

Sunset and I were sitting beside the statue waiting for Spike and hopefully Twilight to come through for Thanksgiving. We were snuggled together for warmth against the chilly fall air. Sunset had switched from her usual clothes to a plain peach colored sweater and a pair of tan slacks. Rarity and I were going to take her shopping on the weekend for a new outfit but this was something Sunset had on hand for the colder weather already.

“It turns out the length of a day isn't the same between the two worlds,” she explained, snuggling a bit closer to me. “Even though Equestria maintains a twenty-four hour clock just like here, their full day is actually a bit over twenty-five earth hours. The Equestrian minute is slightly longer than the one on earth which is enough to shift the clock alignment between the two worlds by around one hour every day. I didn't realize there was such a significant difference until I went to get Twilight's crown. It was the middle of the night there, but it was late afternoon on this side of the portal. Time of day was more or less matched when I when first arrived here.”

“I never even considered we measure time differently. I guess that means the seasons don't line up between the two worlds either.”

“Not even close, although winter will start in one week on the other side this year but it's only one and a half months long. A year in Equestria marks the time between two Summer Sun celebrations and the year isn't related to planetary orbit the way it is here since Celestia moves the sun. An Equestrian year is exactly 360 days, broken into twelve months of thirty days each.”

Just another reminder that there's a completely different world on the other side.
I wonder what else is different.

I was slightly thrown by the revelation. “It's hard to comprehend that our worlds could be so different and yet we speak the same language. At least I know where I’ll be in February when I get tired of the winter weather. I have a spare clock I can send home with Twilight. It might make scheduling easier for future visits.”

Before Sunset could reply the portal began to ripple signaling the arrival of our guests. A wooden wagon emerged first carrying a large casserole dish, a couple of boxes and a book bag, followed by Spike who was walking on his hind legs, pushing it with his front paws. A moment later, Twilight came through, managing to stay on her feet instead of tumbling through the air this time.

Silver, I don’t think everything is right with Twilight today.
You sure?
Yes. Look at her.

At first glance, Twilight didn’t look any different than normal in her human form. But Spark’s comment drew my attention to the details. There were dark circles under her eyes and her brow was a bit furrowed as if with stress. Some of her hair was sticking out instead of lying flat like normal. There was an expression of relief on her face when she saw the two of us.

“Hey Twilight, glad you made it!” Sunset said enthusiastically.

“It’s good to see you,” I added. “Are you alright Twilight?”

“No,” she whispered as she pulled the two of us into a hug with one arm over each of our shoulders. “I'm really not, the last week was awful. It's good to see you both.”

I looked down at Spike who had a worried expression on his face. He looked at me and shrugged, suggested he didn't know exactly what was bothering her.

“You want to talk about it, Twilight?” I asked. “We're here if you need us.”

Twilight broke the hug and shook her head. “Later. Right now I just want to enjoy my first drama free visit to your world.” She was starting to shiver thanks to the short skirt and short sleeved shirt the portal gave her.

“Don't tempt fate, Twilight,” I replied while pulling off my jacket. “Here, put this on. It looks like the portal doesn't take weather into account when selecting your clothing.”

“It didn’t even have the decency to give you stockings,” Sunset said, holding back laughter. She hooked her arm around Twilights. “You’re already getting goosebumps! I’ll admit I suspected this would happen and I mentioned it to Rarity. We just have to stop by her place to pick up your new outfit.”

They started towards the car arm in arm, leaving me and Spike behind. Sunset leaning in to whisper something in Twilight's ear and I heard Twilight laugh. I grinned and grabbed the handle of the wagon. I gestured at Spike to get in and he obliged. By the time we got moving we were already out of hearing range of Twilight and Sunset.

“Thank's Silver,” Spike said. “It's frustrating that I don't have my claws on this side of the portal. Why does it have to turn me into a dog of all things?”

I winced, feeling sympathetic for his plight. “I wish I knew Spike, it doesn't seem fair to me either. On the bright side, everyone at dinner will know about you so you don't have to play the fool.”

“I appreciate that,” he replied. “I can't wait to show you the comic books!”

“I've been looking forward to seeing those. What's in the casserole dish?”

“It's my own harvest vegetable casserole,” Spike replied proudly. “All purchased fresh from the Ponyville market this morning. It just needs to be heated and it'll be good to go.”

“Nice. I wasn't brave enough to try cooking so I'm just contributing buns I picked up at the bakery yesterday. I've spent way too much time living off mediocre packaged foods.”

“You should give it a shot,” Spike said. “It's way better than takeout food. I can even give you a couple lessons when you visit Equestria if you want. I know plenty of recipes that don’t use flowers or hay.”

I laughed as we rounded the corner of the school and continued to the parking lot. The girls were getting further ahead since I was deliberately slowing down so I could talk with Spike. “Honestly, my girlfriend was born a pony. It probably wouldn't hurt to learn Equestrian cooking even if I can't serve it to her here.”

“You two are really serious aren't you?” Spike asked in a surprised voice. “I mean you’re taking this whole pony thing pretty calmly.”

You have been awfully relaxed considering how weird your life is.

I ignored Spark as I put my reply together. “I suppose I have been a bit calm, but I did spend fifteen minutes as a pony. In all honesty, Spark has been critical in getting accustomed to the existence of the two worlds. He is a pony in every way that matters. Since we share memories, there’s no way that hasn’t modified my view of the world.”

I’m twisting your mind to my own will, mu-ah ha ha! Soon I’ll have you eating hay!
Seriously? Even if I was craving it, hay would still make us sick.
For goodness sake, get a sense of humor.
I will when you start being funny, Spark.
Nice burn!

“That’s pretty cool, almost like a superpower,” Spike said enthusiastically. “He really thinks separately from you?”

“Yeah, Spark's a completely different person. We’re not any smarter but he notices quite a few things I miss. Not to change the subject, but what happened to Twilight? She seems quite upset about something.”

Spike shook his head. “Twilight and her friends in Equestria were all a bit worn out when they got back from their mission last night, but Twilight seems to be taking it the worst. None of them will tell me what happened either but it hit Twilight hard. With the loss of our old home and the Tirek incident added on it feels like she's only a few ticks away from another smarty pants incident.”

I furrowed my brow at the odd reference and looked over my shoulder at Spike. “What was the smarty pants incident?”

Spike clapped his paws over his mouth. “You didn't hear that from me. Suffice to say she needs this vacation badly and a few drama-free weeks.

“I heard nothing,” I replied. “I don't think there will be any trouble this time.”

I looked up at the cloudy fall sky as we walked up to the car. If Twilight needed a relaxing day, Sunset and I would do our best to deliver. I lifted the wagon and its contents into the trunk of the car while my passengers settled in. Twilight was in the front seat while Spike and Sunset sat in the back. Twilight sat back in her chair and we started on our way over to Rarity’s shop.

Twilight was staring out the window as we rolled down the street. “It’s weird to be here without a looming crisis. Has anything exciting been going on lately?”

“Well, the Sirens finally contacted us,” Sunset said. “Sonata thought the three of them were dying but it turned out they were just very ill from the flu.”

Twilight furrowed her brow. “You helped them, right?”

I snorted and glanced over at Twilight. “Of course we did. Aria and Adagio were not happy to see us, though. Adagio told us they hadn’t been sick in the entire thousand years they’ve been here. I got the impression they didn’t have to be careful about what they ate either. Sonata has been keeping us posted on their recovery.”

“Do you think they’re going to come back to school?”

I saw Sunset shrug in the rear view mirror. “I think Sonata might want to. Not sure about the other two since they’re hard to read.”

Twilight nodded. “That’s not surprising. If they really are over a thousand years old, they’d have experience hiding their intentions. I guess time will tell. Did you have any luck getting that information about deaths you were looking for?”

I saw Sunset grin at the question in the rear view mirror. “Principal Celestia made the arrangements after she confronted us about all the magic incidents. We brought her and Vice Principal Luna into the conspiracy. They just want their school to be safe, so they’re on our side. The full data set going back fifty years will be arriving on Monday thanks to her influence. I can’t wait to dig in a find out what’s going on around here.”

“Wonderful! Let me know if you want me to look over your results,” Twilight said in an enthusiastic but slightly wistful voice. “You’ve got so many opportunities to learn about new magic and history on this side of the portal. The magic analysis gear you asked for is in the back of the car as well. I can’t make any promises about how well it will work in this world though.”

“Thanks, Twilight. I’m not sure if it’ll work either but the gear will give me a starting point. Principal Celestia is letting me use some space at school to do some experiments in the New Year.”

“You seem much happier, Sunset,” Twilight said. “Are the other students treating you and Silver differently now?”

“Some of them,” I replied. Most of the students have switched from hostile to cautiously polite but that’s about it. Honestly, it’s a massive improvement. Lyra and Bon Bon were particularly kind during the days after the Battle of the Bands. Lyra just about lost it when she realized we were dating.”

Twilight frowned. “It sounds like the personality of Lyra here is very similar to the one back in Equestria. We used to be friends but I haven’t talked to her since I moved to Ponyville. I think I’ve seen her around town but we haven’t spoken.”

Her voice sounded a bit sad and I realized I had mentioned me and Sunset dating. I quickly tried to divert her attention to cheer her up.

“Well, why don't you reconnect with her when you get back? I'm sure she'd be happy to see you again and if she does live in Ponyville, you could see her easily enough.”

Twilight sighed. “You're probably right; I just hope she forgives me. I'll try when I get back.”

We pulled up in front of Rarity’s shop to let Sunset take Twilight in to get her winter clothing. Spike and I waited in the car so I looked back at him.

“How badly did I just screw up there Spike?”

He raised his eyebrow at me. “I wouldn’t say it was your finest moment Silver. Honestly, it’s not entirely your fault. Twilight isn’t willing to admit to anypony that she’s hurting badly right now. It’s like walking on eggshells lately. Her crush on you hasn’t exactly helped her state.”

I stared at the ceiling of the car and sighed. “So you do know about it. How am I supposed to help Twilight when sometimes I feel like I’m barely together myself? Sunset says she has some ideas but she isn’t telling me anything about them.”

“I’m pretty sure I’m the only one besides you and Sunset who knows,” Spike said thoughtfully. “Twilight isn’t nearly as subtle as she thinks. I have an idea! How about I arrange for you and Sunset to show up as a surprise for Twilight next week? She really wants to see you as a pony and you two showing up would make her day.”

I put my arm over my eyes and groaned. “You’re assuming she’ll still want to see me much if I keep sticking my foot in my mouth. I really don’t mean to make her feel bad or jealous about my relationship with Sunset. Can you keep a secret, Spike?”

“Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye,” he replied. “Not a word, I swear.”

“I’m very happy with Sunset Shimmer and I’m not going to break up with her,” I said weakly. “But if Twilight had asked me out before Sunset, I would have said yes without hesitation. When she accepted me as her friend it was like the fog hanging over my life began to lift and everything mattered again. I never imagined anyone would be interested in a guy like me, let alone two beautiful women like Sunset and Twilight. I feel awful seeing the state Twilight is in but I just don’t know what I can do to help Spike.”

The car was quiet for a moment while Spike considered my words. I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths to try and keep my emotions in check. Spike’s voice was firm when he replied.

“Celestia knows I’m not the best dragon to give relationship advice,” he said sympathetically. “I’m not even brave enough to admit my interest to the pony I have a crush on. Twilight knows you’re with Sunset and she is truly happy for you both, I promise. All she really wants is to find the same joy you two have and I don’t know how she’ll find that in Equestria. Just be her friend and everything else will sort itself out.”

Huh, that’s interesting. Spike has a crush on a pony.
Poor guy. I wonder who it is.

I looked over at Rarity’s store and smiled in spite of my worries. “You have a wonderfully optimistic view of the world Spike. I really hope you’re right because I value her friendship as well. Ok, we’ll give your idea a try. I hope it doesn’t make things any worse.”

“Great, I’ll keep you posted!” Spike responded enthusiastically. His ears twitched towards the store. “Here they come.”

I watched as Sunset and Twilight came out. Twilight had changed into a pair of blue jeans, a white dress shirt, and a purple sweater vest. Instead of the boots usually provided by the portal, she was wearing some light running shoes. It was surprisingly practical but quite cute and I had to smile at how good Rarity was at picking out clothing. Even though her focus was on high fashion and gown design, she had an eye for the practical that was often overlooked.

Twilight and Sunset climbed back into the car. “So, what do you think?” Twilight asked nervously.

“That’s a cute outfit Twilight. You look great.”

“I know, right!” said Sunset enthusiastically. “I told you it looked good, Twilight! Do you believe me now?”

Twilight blushed and smiled. “Thank you. Rarity made me promise to change back to my other clothes so the portal won’t erase them. So where are we heading now?”

“We’re going to spend the rest of the afternoon at Applejack’s place,” I said. “I know Fluttershy, Rarity and Sweetie Belle are going to be joining us for dinner.”

“What about Steel Rain?” Sunset asked curiously.

I laughed. “He sent me a text late last night. Apparently, he’s having dinner with Vice Principal Luna and her family. I don’t think I’ve ever seen two people hit it off like they did yesterday.”

Twilight let out a little gasp of delight. “Vice Principal Luna has a coltfriend?! Oh my goodness! I can’t wait to tell Princess Luna!”

“Is that really a good idea Twilight?” I asked in a worried voice. “I mean Princess Luna is a very different pony from our vice principal and there seems to be some broken symmetry between our two worlds. I’d hate to see Princess Luna wasting her time looking for somepony that might not have a counterpart.”

Twilight slumped back in her chair and sighed. “You’re right. I’ll be discrete but I’m going to try to find Steel Rain in my world. I need every data point I can get to figure out why you don’t have a pony counterpart.”

“Speaking of Luna, did you get a chance to talk to her about dreamwalker training?” I asked.

“She was surprised and worried to hear you were spontaneously dreamwalking but I reassured her you could prevent it now,” Twilight replied. “Princess Luna said she would clear her schedule to teach the two of you when you visit Equestria.”

“I don’t want to be a burden but it’s a relief to hear,” I said. “I don’t want to get injured anymore so I’m holding off on experiments until I can see her.”

“She was concerned when I mentioned injuries,” Twilight replied. “She didn’t mention why, saying it was something that only concerned those who can travel in the realm of dreams.”

I nodded and then stayed quiet for most of the drive while Sunset and Twilight talked about their research plans. Twilight was clearly tired but she perked up quite a bit as she discussed science and magic with Sunset. It was clear there were things she wasn’t telling us but Sunset and I both felt it wasn’t our place to pry.

I really hope we don’t mess up our relationships here.
Same here Spark. Steady as we go.


Twilight had spent a bit of time at this world’s Sweet Apple Acres the previous week when the girls were practicing for the Battle of the Bands. She hadn’t gotten the full tour at the time due to the urgency of learning the new songs and writing the counterspell. Applejack was happy to show us around.

“Ah thought you former pony folk might find this interesting,” Applejack said as she led the four of us out to the barn. “Ah’ll admit, ah’m a mite curious to see your reactions.”

She pushed the door open and walked us down to the horse paddock. Sunset and Twilight stopped in their tracks when Applejack’s horse poked his head out of his stall to look at us. It was a large chestnut brown stallion with a dark brown mane. His ears twitched and turned towards us with apparent curiosity.

“Oh wow, this is so weird,” Twilight exclaimed, walking closer to the horse. “He looks a bit like a Saddle Arabian actually.”

“Arabian?” Applejack said. “Nah, he’s not an Arabian horse. We couldn’t afford one of them. Thunder here is what’s called a Quarter Horse.”

Sunset shook her head. “No, she’s not talking about his breed AJ. Saddle Arabians are a nation of ponies that are distant relatives of Equestrians. They are taller than us as well with longer muzzles and thinner legs. And it appears they look more like Earth horses than we do. You’re right Twilight, this is really weird.”

“His eyes are on the side of his head,” Twilight muttered. “So he can see what's behind him with one eye but he doesn’t have proper binocular vision except straight in front of him. My eyes are placed more like human eyes and my muzzle is much shorter than his.”

Thunder was stretching his neck out trying to sniff the newcomers. He seemed particularly interested in Twilight. Applejack walked over and ran her hand over his shoulder to keep him calm. I kept my distance since the large animal made me feel a bit nervous. Sunset was standing next to me while Twilight got closer.

“He doesn’t usually show this much interest in strangers,” Applejack remarked. “Ah think he can tell there’s somethin’ different about ya, Twilight.”

It’s rather like your experience seeing apes at the zoo. Quite surreal.
Yeah. I have to agree there.

“I might look human on the outside, but I’m still a pony,” Twilight said, joining Applejack in patting Thunder’s head. “His fur is much coarser than mine as well. He’s not sapient is he?”

Applejack shook her head. “No, he’s not. He’s quite smart, but he’s not intelligent like a human or you Equestrian ponies. Ah have to say, hearing you describe yourself as even a bit similar to Thunder here is a bit surreal.”

“What does he do for you then?” Twilight asked. “He’s not a slave is he?”

Applejack looked at Twilight, her eyes wide with surprise. Then she chuckled and shook her head sheepishly. “Ya know I wouldn’t have even considered that second question seriously before I met ya Twilight. Ah’ve always thought of him as a friend but if he came up to me tomorrow and asked to leave or to be paid for his work, ah think I’d have to indulge him. At this point, in return for his room and board, he helps plow the fields and with hauling product back from harvest. It’s also easier to ride him to the remote parts of the farm. Sometimes a tractor just ain’t right for the job.”

Twilight nodded in satisfaction and smiled at the horse. “Good. Applejack takes good care of you, doesn’t she?”

Thunder let out a quiet neigh and nudged her with his nose in a friendly manner.

I glanced over at Sunset. “You’ve been here a long time. Have you seen a horse before?”

“I have,” Sunset replied nervously, not approaching any closer. “It borders on the uncanny valley for me. It’s his eyes that bother me more than anything. Seeing somepony that is vaguely similar to an Equestrian but completely lacking that spark is a bit unnerving.”

I took her hand in my comfortingly. “That’s odd. Why isn’t it bothering Twilight then?”

We all looked at Sunset and she cringed under the examination. “Fine. I was terrified when I first saw a horse because I thought humans lobotomized all the other intelligent species, ok?! I know better now but horses still give me the creeps!”

I chuckled. “I suppose that’s a fair assumption considering where you came from.”

“You just have to change your perspective, Sunset!” Twilight chimed in. “Do you think this is a case of parallel evolution or contact between the two worlds?”

Sunset suddenly looked curious rather than worried. “You know, that’s a good question. There are a lot of animals and foods that are common between the two worlds as well aren’t there?”

“Exactly! Far more than can be explained by mere coincidence.”

The two of them began talking a mile a minute about theories of evolution from two worlds. I smiled and walked over to Applejack to have a closer look at Thunder. He sniffed me a couple times and then snorted aggressively.

“Ah don’t think he likes you, Silver,”

Damn territorial stallions. Back off!

Spark actually made me snort aggressively before I could stop myself and bared my teeth while stepping back out of biting range. Thunder responded by lunging and snapping at me but I was out of reach. Applejack was looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

“How is he with other stallions?” I asked.

“He’s a right terror,” Applejack replied. “He’s especially if there are mares around. But you’re not a stallion and he’s fine with Big Mac.”

I tapped the side of my head. “I’ve got the mind of an Equestrian stallion sharing space up here and he think’s Thunder is being territorial. Plus, I’m out here with Twilight who I’m pretty sure he recognized as a female pony, even if she is a different species.”

Applejack looked at me and then at Thunder. She sighed and shook her head. “Well don’t that just beat all. He’s actin' just like you’re a stallion.”

“Yeah,” I said, turning to walk towards the door. “I think I’ll have to try an introduction another day. Maybe he won’t be so grumpy when Twilight and Sunset aren’t here.”

We glanced over at the two girls who were so caught up in their conversation they had missed Thunder’s little display of aggression. I walked over to them with a smile on my face and put my hand on each of their shoulders. They jumped with surprise and then grinned sheepishly at me. Their faces were an amusing mirror of embarrassment.

“How about we take this conversation somewhere you can make some notes ladies?”

“Sounds good to me,” Sunset said.

She stretched up and gave me a peck on the cheek and then started the walk back. I sighed at the contact but at the same time felt guilty about the wistful expression on Twilight’s face. I squeezed her shoulder comfortingly, making Twilight smile briefly. Then she quickly walked over to Sunset, catching up to continue their conversation. I watched them go and shook my head.

Not an easy world we live in.
That it isn't.


In addition to the Apple Family and the four of us, there were several additional dinner guests. Fluttershy and Rarity had joined us, indicating that their families were having dinner on the weekend. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were also present. I had spent part of the afternoon with Spike and the Crusaders reading his comic collection while also chatting with Sunset and Twilight. The Power Ponies were actually quite interesting and I could see numerous similarities to superhero stories from my world. Still, they had their own unique feel and they were quite fun to read.

Before we knew it, dinner had arrived. The meal was incredible with a huge turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and all the other fixings. Spike's casserole was a huge hit as well and nobody blinked twice about him sit on a box at the table with us. His manners were impeccable after all and Granny Smith insisted Spike should sit with us.

“If Winona was half as well behaved as Spike here, she'd have a seat at the table as well,” she declared firmly before anyone could comment. “Ah judge people by their actions not their looks and he's more than earned it in mah' eyes.”

“Thank you kindly Granny,” Spike replied politely. “The hospitality of the Apple Family is unmatched in both worlds.”

“Darn right it is!” she replied, laughing. “Now eat up young pup! You've got a lot of growin' to do!”

Twilight was hesitant about the turkey but she bravely tried a slice at Sunset's urging. She seemed to enjoy it but declined a second helping. Instead, she focused on the other dishes but especially the apple stuffing. I had been careful to inform her about the origin of the dish in case it was an issue for her but Twilight was unconcerned as she dug in.

Honestly, it was the best meal I'd had in ages and I made sure to say so several times. When the meal was nearing its end I stood up holding my glass of cider. I surveyed the table, filled with the faces of friends who were all watching me expectantly.

“Normally I'd be the last one to make a speech at a dinner like this but I feel slightly obligated today. Less than two months ago I was at the lowest point of my life. Looking back, I feel like I can hardly recognize that person anymore. Every single person here tonight played a role in helping me pull my life back together. Thank you all, for your friendship, for your support and for showing me that friendship and magic are two sides of the same coin.”

We all took a sip of our drinks and then Sunset stood up beside me and put her arm around my waist. She wiped a tear away and raised her glass while facing Twilight.

“I was not a good person before the Fall Formal. When I crawled out of the crater, by all rights you should have turned your backs on me. Twilight Sparkle here had faith in me for some bizarre reason and thanks to her, you all gave me a chance. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your friendship. You are some of the best friends I've ever had and I wouldn't trade what I have for all the power in the world. I'd like to propose a toast to Twilight Sparkle. My dear friend who extended her hand to me at the time I needed it most but deserved it least. I hope your faith in friendship will always be rewarded.”

Twilight was blushing bright red as we all took another drink. Sunset and I were red in the face as well as we sat down. I felt her arm still around me and smiled at here before we finished up the meal. Afterward, Granny Smith suggested we move to the living room for a bit to digest before eating desert. The box with my family book was sitting on an end table in the corner.

“So, are you going to read one of your stories now, Silver?” Applebloom asked curiously.

I raised my eyebrow at her. “If everyone would like me to, yes,” I replied. “For those of you who weren't with me yesterday, this book is a family heirloom. Most of the book contains family stories about the life of my ancestors, family tries and stuff but the oldest stories are different. The first stories are purported to be from an oral tradition that predates the first book.”

“How far back does it go?” Twilight asked. Her face was flushed with excitement.

I opened the box and gently lifted the book out onto the table beside me. “I actually don't know. As I mentioned yesterday, they were first written down five hundred years ago. I'm going to read one of my favorite legends tonight.”

I carefully opened the book and turned a couple thin vellum sheets to the appropriate page. When I reached the page where the story started, my face went pale. A single sheet of paper had been slipped into the book at the page where my favorite story started. I unfolded it and my hand began to shake when I recognized the handwriting on it. The entire room faded out of my view as the letter dominated my vision.

I heard Sunset’s voice in the distance. “What is it, Silver?”

“It's a letter from Mom,” I whispered as my eyes scanned the page.

My dear Silver Spark. If you are reading this, then your father and I have passed away far too soon. I am sorry we left you so young but know that we will always be with you in your heart. The contents of this book have been passed down in our family for centuries and it is a part of the legacy we pass on to you now. You know some of the stories hiding within but there are many you have never seen.

The contents of this book are not secrets but they are unique to our family line and a way for you to identify other distant relatives if you feel so inclined. Share these stories with people you trust and make them your family. Please don't hide away from the world. Your father and I love you very much and we have always been proud of you. I firmly believe your addition to this book will be a marvel to read and I look forward to hearing you tell the story to us some day.

Be happy and stay strong my dear child. All our love,

Swift Strike and Iron Hammer

I actually felt myself smiling even as a couple tears ran down my cheeks. I felt some pressure on my shoulder and realized Sunset was now standing next to me with her hand on my shoulder. Surprisingly, Twilight right beside her with a worried expression on her face. I smiled at them and pressed my cheek against Sunset's hand. I folded the letter up and put it beside the box before taking a couple deep breaths and looking back at the worried faces of my audience.

“Well, that was unexpected,” I murmured. “I'm ready now if everyone is still interested.”

“Ah'd say if yer ma thought it was a good place to leave a letter like that, those stories must be somethin' special” Granny Smith declared. “Let’s hear what you’ve got to tell!”

Twilight and Sunset went back to their seats and I could help but smile at Granny Smith's declaration. “I do need to warn you that not all these stories have happy endings. The one I'm about to read is one of them but in spite of that, it was always one of my favorites. It's one of the older legends in this book and is called Broken Trust . . .”

Once upon a time there was a rich fertile land fractured by war and strife between the clans. For years they tried to find common ground but their disagreements very nearly lead to their extinction. They were only saved by the timely arrival of two wandering deities. The two divinities stepped into the battle and challenged the fighting clans to follow them to build a lasting peace. The two gods walked among the peoples of their realm, keeping the peace and leading them towards a peaceful future.

The eldest, Helios, favored the largest clans and under his leadership, they grew even greater in number and power as they healed the broken land and brought forth bountiful harvests. They became known as the Helians and the fledgling nation prospered thanks to their skills. Selena, the younger of the two was intrigued by the smaller clans. She befriended the leaders of these clans and with her guidance, they became the ring of iron that would defend the new nation from outside threats. Under the banner of their patron, the Selenites fought Raiders and beasts that crept in from the uncivilized lands beyond the border. They paid a price in blood for their efforts but with aid from the prospering Helians they endured and also grew in skill and number.

The Helians became wealthy, isolated from the violence on the border and over time the most powerful nobles began to resent the support given to the Selenites. Some began to discredit and disavow their sacrifices, branding them as liars and thieves seeking to enrich themselves at the cost of the Helian people. Overnight, the Selenites found themselves under siege from their allies and enemies alike as food and materials were diverted away from the Selenite armies.

The warrior clans began to suffer and they begged the Selena for help. Selena immediately entreated her brother to reverse the changes, but Helios had become blinded by the assurances of his noble followers. He dismissed Selena's concern out of hand, saying the Selenites were receiving more than sufficient aid. Further efforts by Selena to pass new treaties and laws to support her people were thwarted at every turn.

Finally, the day came when Selena stood before her chosen people and said, “Mine brother and his corrupted council have chosen to deny the truth of your sacrifices. They will not cede any further support to you, nor will they yield a stronger voice in their government. Thine blood will not be shed in the defense of the Helians again until the balance between all the clans is restored. We will slay the corrupt nobles who betrayed our trust and the survivors shall be taught to respect thine sacrifices.”

After many moons of preparation, the Selenites struck under the cover of darkness. Their attacks were methodical; using powerful weapons originally devised for fighting their enemies. The attack eradicated many of the nobles who orchestrated the betrayal. While the clans battled each other in the streets of the capital, Selena confronted her brother in the castle they once shared. They fought a battle that seemed to split the very skies in twain. Then the worst happened; Helios struck down his sister, shattering the hope of the Selenites.

In spite of their loss, the Selenite clans continued to fight on in the name of their fallen goddess. Helios had vanished into seclusion, leaving his followers to their own devices. Then word came of a horrifying command, rumored to be from Helios himself. To restore harmony to the land, every Selenite man, woman and child was to be exterminated. In response, the Helian leaders mobilized a vast volunteer army and began the systematic execution of Selena's followers.

Faced with a bloodthirsty force dedicated to their total extinction, the Selenite clans dispersed to the four winds. Some fled across the sea and others vanished into the icy north. Some clans were not quick enough and were mercilessly wiped out. The fate of the majority of the Selenite Clans is unknown as they vanished into hiding and were lost to history. One clan was not as fortunate.

This clan fled into the monster-infested wastelands with a division of the Helian army on their heels, screaming for blood. The pursuit crumbled when the Helians came face to face with the very real monsters their leaders had dismissed as fantasy. The Selenites easily evaded their familiar foes and vanished into the mountains, leaving the army to its fate. However, a mere six months after the fall of Selena, the hiding place of this clan was discovered. Not by the army but by a Helian scholar; one who was greatly respected by both Selena and Helios. She begged for an audience with the clan elders and it was granted only because of her long friendship with Selena.

She carried a warning and an offer: The Helian military had located their home and would carry out the terrible orders from Helios unless the scholar could state the clan was no longer a threat. The solution was stark: The clan would be left alone to leave in peace at the price of the elders and their family lines. The scholar felt the demands were excessive but the Helians would accept nothing less.

If it had been anybody else, even Helios himself, they would have rejected the offer and fled to another refuge. The scholar was trusted and so for the survival of their clan, the elders and other named individuals stepped forward to accept the sacrifice. Before they were executed, their people swore an oath. At the moment their leaders died, Helios and his people would no longer exist. Until Selena and their leaders were restored to them, this clan would never lift one finger to aid Helios or his followers.

In their hearts, the remaining people of the clan knew that day would never come to pass. Still, they stood firm and shut the doors of their refuge behind the scholar as she left to take their former leaders to their fate. The Elders refused to speak again and their execution was swiftly completed. That was the last time a Helian spoke with a citizen of the lost clans.

“. . . and that's where the story ends. Thank you for listening.”

I closed the book and took a couple deep breaths before looking at my friends. Everyone looked a bit surprised how grim the story was even though I had warned them.

“That was a very sad ending,” Fluttershy whispered.

“I know,” I replied gently. “The prejudice and hate necessary for such a conflict to occur always bothered me. I think it's one of the reasons that story has been preserved. Personally, I always took it as a warning to not take the efforts of others for granted. I take comfort in knowing it is just a story.”

“Thank you for sharing that,” Granny Smith said cheerfully. “Ah’ve never heard such a tale before and it was a privilege to hear you read it. So, who's ready for dessert?”

“Yes please!” Applebloom was first to exclaim. The others quickly followed and trailed behind Granny Smith to the kitchen. Twilight, Sunset, Applejack, Spike and I remained behind for a moment. Twilight was the first to speak and her expression was thrilled.

“That was a fascinating story, Silver. You say that book is filled with similar legends?”

“That's right. Most of the modern stories are supposed to be real, covering family life over the centuries including many war stories. The oldest stories like the one I just read are more like fairy tales that were finally written down after some unknown amount of time being told through oral tradition.”

I looked over at Sunset who looked like she was deep in thought. There was a solid, concerned frown on her face. “Sunset, are you ok?”

She didn't answer me immediately and instead looked at Twilight. “Twilight, if I told you that in Earth legends, Helios was a sun god and Selena was a god of the moon, what would you say?”

Twilight looked confused for a moment but then eyes widened. “You aren't thinking about the Tale of the Two Sisters are you?”

“Yes I am,” she replied. “The stories aren’t terribly similar; it's just an odd coincidence is all.”

“That’s true, but they really aren’t the same stories,” Twilight replied. “Selena had followers while Princess Luna was ignored and became jealous of her sister. Luna also didn't die, she was only banished.”

“What's the Tale of the Two Sisters?” I interjected. "It's a story from your world, right?"

Spike cleared his throat. “The short version is, a thousand years ago there were two royal sisters who ruled Equestria together. The elder sister raised the Sun and the younger raised the moon at night. The young sister became resentful because the ponies of Equestria slept and ignored her beautiful night. A thousand years ago, she became Nightmare Moon, fought her sister who banished her to the moon for a thousand years. It turned out to be Princess Celestia's sister, Princess Luna who returned from exile recently and was healed by the Elements of Harmony.”

“Of course, that’s what actually happened in Equestria,” I said. “This is just a story. Although I do find it surprising that a ruler like Luna would fall prey to something as petty as jealousy.”

“It does seem a bit odd but that’s what we’ve always been taught,” Spike replied. "Princess Luna hasn't ever contradicted the story."

“What other kinds of stories are in there?” Twilight asked. “I mean in the oldest ones.”

“There are a few of them,” I said, trying to remember them. “One is called the Winter War, about an earlier attempt to unify the clans during a vicious endless winter. Another is called Raven’s Rock, about the arrival of a group of settlers in a foreign land. Oh and there another one called Shadowfall about an evil man attempting to become a god like Helios and Selena. Those are the ones I can remember, but I know there are lots more. Those four stories are scattered through the first hundred pages of the book.”

“Have you ever seen stories like this elsewhere?” Sunset asked.

“No, can’t say that I have,” I replied. “Granted, I haven’t spent a huge amount of time looking. History isn’t exactly an interest of mine.”

“It is one of mine since I arrived here,” Sunset said. “It's one of the few things I had an interest in outside of revenge. I’ve never heard of a story like that before. Could I read some of those other stories, Silver?”

“Sure, but let’s save it for another day,” I said. “The book is precious to me so I can’t lend it out to anyone. We can read it together instead.”

Sunset glanced over at Twilight who had a sad expression on her face though she quickly tried to hide it. She frowned thoughtfully for a moment before a smile graced her features.

“An excuse to spend more time with you? That sounds great but I think it would be best if we read it with Twilight as well, Silver,” Sunset finally replied.

“You don’t have to do that for me Sunset!” Twilight protested.

“Of course I do,” she replied. “It's obvious you're very interested in the story. There’s no rush.”

“Thank you Sunset!” Twilight exclaimed, pulling her into a big hug. “I’ll make time to come read with you!”

“No fussing around with time travel spells to pull that off!” Sunset teased.

Twilight shook her head. “Not a chance, I already made that mistake once. Wound up stuck in a predestination paradox that left me an absolute wreck for a week.”

I stared at her. “Ummm, I think she was only kidding, Twilight,” I said weakly. “Are you actually serious?”

Sunset burst out laughing. “You really used that broken time travel spell from the Star Swirl wing?! It’s impossible to avoid a predestination paradox with that spell. Oh my goodness, I can only imagine what you put yourself through!”

Twilight stared at her for a moment and then started to laugh sheepishly as well. Spike and I joined in a moment later as we got up to join the rest of the family for desert.


It was almost ten thirty when we pulled up to the school to drop of Spike and Twilight so they could head back to Equestria. Friday was still a school day for us and Twilight had her responsibilities to get back to. Still, it had been a nice day, completely bereft of major drama. I got out of the car with Spike and leaned against the window to give Twilight some privacy while she changed back into her portal clothes.

“Rarity told me she would be very disappointed if I made another outfit vanish into thin air,” Twilight said as she struggled to get her blue shirt and skirt back on. “I wish the portal would remember what I was wearing instead of giving me this every time!”

“I’ll talk to Rarity about getting something easy to slip on that we can have on hand when you come through the portal,” Sunset replied. “The weather isn’t as predictable here and the portal is outdoors.”

Twilight opened the door and got out. “That might help. Thank you for the invitation! It was nice to have a day without anything crazy happening. I think I ate too much.”

“I know I did,” I replied. “I hope we can see you again soon.”

Twilight walked over and gave me a hug. “I’d like that. Take care Silver.”

She gave Sunset a hug as well while I shook Spike’s paw. He winked at me and I knew he would keep Sunset posted about a chance to go through the portal to visit. Sunset and I walked with them to the portal. We stood with our arms wrapped around each other while we watched Twilight and Spike vanish through the portal yet again.

“Twilight isn’t doing well is she Sunset,” I murmured.

“Not really, no. I can tell there’s a lot on her mind,” She replied.

We started to walk back to my car. “Spike wants us to arrange for the two of us to visit her as a surprise sometime in the near future.”

Sunset kissed me on the cheek. “That sounds great. I hope it’s soon so you can get your first lesson from Princess Luna.”

“Same here. So where should I drop you off?”

Sunset was quiet for a moment before she replied. “Oh, I’ll walk home from here. You should go get some sleep, Silver.”

“You sure? It’s really not a problem.”

“No, I’ll be fine!” she said firmly. “Goodnight Silver.”

“Ok, if you insist," I leaned down and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. "Sweet dreams, Sunset.”

I got into my car and watched her walk away. Sunset was hiding something from us about where she lived but it was clear she didn’t want to share. Part of me wanted to follow her to see where she was going but I resisted the urge and started the drive towards home. I wasn’t a spy and there was no way I was going screw this up. Hopefully, she would be willing to tell us where she lived someday.

If not, we'll have to convince her. I'm worried about why she doesn't want us to know.
Yeah. I hate not knowing where she lives Spark.
How are we supposed to surprise her?
Heck with that. What if she gets sick like the Sirens?
Right. Good point. We'll have to deal with that someday soon.

Author's Note:

At last, here we are! Sorry about the delays, but being sick makes writing rather exhausting.

The way I see it, there is no reason why the two worlds should keep time the same way. Our time keeping is entirely a product of tracking the somewhat variable movement of our planet around the sun. In a managed world like Equestria, there is no reason to have leap years or even leap minutes. Summer and winter are defined by our proximity to the Sun but Celestia could explicitly manage the timing and smooth out any irregularities.

This chapter wound up a bit more focused on Spike and Silver's interactions than I expected but I'm kind of glad it worked out that way.

The story excerpt from Silver's book is something I've been working on for quite a while. It's one of those plot points that I've been nervous about introducing. I think there are half a dozen drafts of that section and like many things I've put in the story, your thoughts and theories are always interesting. Thanks for reading and for your comments!

PreviousChapters Next