• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 8,981 Views, 506 Comments

Finding a Place - Battlecat



Moving to Canterlot was supposed give Silver Spark a chance to begin again. So far that hasn't worked out.

  • ...
16
 506
 8,981

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23 - To Talk

Thursday, November 17: Continued

I have to admit, I was more than a bit giddy as I used my wings to flit from rooftop to rooftop over the streets of Canterlot. There was no feeling of exhaustion I would associate with our magic running out but we were still using it cautiously. Between the scent of their blood and the enhanced hearing, I quickly picked up their trail. I had left my weapons and shield behind in my car but I kept my armor on just in case they used the Taser again.

Finally, I spotted them walking up the street in downtown Canterlot. When I noticed where we were a perfect idea came to mind. I landed on the ground about ten feet behind them with a loud thump so they knew I was there. The three of them turned around with and tried to glare at me but they lacked confidence. Those expressions were exactly what I’d expect to see on the face of a wounded predator. I could see the cuts and bruises on their faces in similar locations to where I hit their manifestations. Aria had a makeshift bandage wrapped around her arm and Sonata was clearly trying not to put weight on one of her legs. They were ready to run away or fight me from the looks of it.

“Could I have a word with you ladies?” I asked as politely as I could.

“What could you possibly want now?” Adagio growled. “Are you going to finish what you planned earlier?”

I tried to be reassuring and I was relieved they hadn’t pulled out the Taser again. “No, all I want is to invite you into that coffee shop over there for a quick snack, patch up those cuts so they don’t cause you any grief and have one brief conversation, before letting you leave in peace.”

They looked over their shoulders at the Sweet Shoppe and then back at me. Their faces were a mixture of suspicion and confusion as they tried to figure out what I was planning.

“You’re not here to get revenge?” asked Aria suspiciously. “Or kill us? That's what you were going to do before I zapped you, right?”

I sighed and did my best not to break eye contact. “I’ll have to live with the terrible thing I intended to do to you three after school today. I can’t fault you for defending yourselves even if that was incredibly painful.”

“Are you sure?” asked Sonata. “You’re not just trying to lure us into a trap, right?”

“No arrests, no coercion, no traps,” I replied, raising my empty hands in the air. “Just coffee, first aid and a brief conversation with no strings attached, I promise.”

Adagio raised her eyebrow at me. “Are you paying?”

I could help chuckling at how normal that question seemed. “Yes. It wouldn’t be polite to offer you a snack without intending to pay, would it?”

The three sirens exchanged one last dubious look before Adagio shrugged and walked into the shop followed by the other two. I entered behind them, glad to see the place was empty since the regular patrons were at the concert. Mr. Cake looked up from his magazine where he was sitting at the counter and smiled when he recognized me.

“Good evening Silver! I thought you’d be at the concert with Pinkie,” he said. Then he noticed the cut on Adagio's face and my badly damaged armor. “Is everything ok?”

“I had to leave in a hurry but the concert seemed to be going well when I left. Could I get a coffee and cinnamon bun along with whatever these three ladies would like? Also, could I go get some containers of water and a couple clean towels from the back?”

Mr. Cake’s eyes took in Adagio’s cheek, Aria’s bandage and the first aid kit I had over my shoulder before nodding. While he took their orders, I scooted into the kitchen to get the water and towels. While the containers were filling with warm water, I pulled out Sunset’s phone and unlocked it to send a text. I was startled to see the background picture had changed from my last check in but it was the content of the photo that caught my interest. It was a picture of me and Sunset sitting almost shoulder to shoulder in the school library during one of our tutoring sessions.

Where did she get that Silver?
I don’t know. Why does she have it as her background?
We’ll have to ask. It's a cute shot actually.

I fired off the text to let the girls know I had found the Sirens and there were no problems so far. Once the three of them were settled at a table with their drinks and some food, I opened up the first aid kit and looked over at Adagio. She nodded and held still while I began to gently clean the cut on her face. She winced a bit from the pain as I worked but stayed calm. All three of them looked quite confused by my presence.

“Why are you doing this?” asked Sonata in a curious voice while she watched me treating Adagio's injury.

I glanced over at Sonata while I cleaned Adagio's wound. “I was horrified when I discovered my attacks on those manifestations hurt your physical bodies. While I wanted to protect my friends, I really didn't even consider the possibility this would happen and I feel it's my responsibility to make sure you have been taken care of.”

“That doesn’t explain why,” said Aria tersely. “We tried to take control of everyone and we hurt you without hesitation. You were going to attack us in the alley earlier and you'd be dead now if it hadn't been for that armor. Now you’re here patching us up instead of celebrating our defeat. It doesn't make sense.”

“It’s the right thing to do,” I replied, as I finished putting a bandage on Adagio’s face. “My choice earlier was the wrong one but at this point, I'm reasonably sure I'm the only person you've physically injured this week. In a way, I'm trying to apologize to you and forgive you at the same time. I hate living in fear for the safety of me and my friends since I already have to constantly watch my back thanks to the other students. I’m hoping I can make things right with you three.”

Aria snorted at my statement. “You think patching us up will make up for what you’ve done?”

“No, but it’s a start,” I countered. “Nothing in this world changes until someone takes the first step. Adagio, did my strike on your back fin transfer to your physical body?”

Adagio's eyes widened, I think with surprise that I even thought of that. She shook her head and touched the bandage on her face. “No, it didn't, just this one on my face and my sore jaw.”

“Good, that would have been a bit awkward to treat,” I said as a joke but I just received blank stares. “Aria, can I take care of your arm now?”

“Fine,” she grumbled before putting her arm down in front of me on the table. “So what vital words did you want to share with us?”

The bandage on her arm was loose so it came off easily, allowing me to clean and disinfect the cut. “From what I've been told, you three have been in this world for a very long time. I suspect you’ve been using your magic to help you survive. I wanted to provide you with a choice you might not have considered before you go wherever you are going.”

Adagio’s expression quickly turned angry. “Yes, you destroyed our song, our magic and our very means of survival. Now you have the audacity to come here offering us a choice? Seriously?!”

“Calm down Adagio,” I said as gently as I could. “It’s all I can offer because I certainly don’t intend to force you to do anything. Please just hear me out and then you never have to talk to me again.”

Adagio grumbled but she closed her mouth and gestured at me to continue. I took the hint and continued speaking while I worked on Aria's injury.

“I don't claim to know anything about who you are or how you live your lives. I have no way to know if your actions were your own or if they were influenced by an external force. You are the only ones who know for sure and it's a question you probably need to ask yourselves. Once I'm done here, you can leave and go make your own way in this world. For all I know, you have money stashed away from centuries of life and will be just fine even without your song. You might have no backup plans and still choose to go and figure life out for yourselves. The other option is to stay here and try to find a new path. Stay at Canterlot High, let us help you out and make some friends.”

“Friendship?” Aria snorted. “What good is friendship to us? We’re sirens that feed on negative emotions.”

I shrugged and finished putting a bandage on her arm. “You were Sirens that fed on negativity energy this morning but is that still the case? Maybe friendship still won't do you any good at all. On the other hand, maybe a potential friendship is patching up your arm right now and worrying about whether you'll be healthy without your magic. Are you Sirens or is that just what the amulets turned you into? When was last time you considered that in the past thousand years?”

The silence from the three girls was complete and for the first time, I felt they were actually contemplating my offer. When I turned to Sonata, she had already pulled off her left boot, revealing a large gash on her calf. I knelt down and got to work. There were no more words exchanged while I cleaned and bandaged Sonata's injury. I put the remaining first aid gear back in the kit and put the third cloth back in its container, the water of all three now stained pale red. I looked at the hostile and uncertain faces of the three Sirens.

“I don't intend to tell you how to live your lives. If you decide to leave Canterlot, I wish you all the best. If you decide to stay here you’ll still have to earn our trust but my friends and I are willing to give you that chance. As you are probably well aware from the days you spent at Canterlot High, the other students at school won’t be as forgiving. However, I can promise if you stay and want to make an honest attempt at a new path, you won’t face them alone.”

Adagio scoffed at my words but didn't say anything. I handed her the first aid kit.

“Take this with you. There’s enough material in there for you three to change your dressings several more times. This antibiotic gel I used will help the cuts heal without infection and promotes skin growth which should prevent scars. There’s plenty of it left in the tube. I’m just glad they don’t need stitches but it was a near thing, especially the one on your leg Sonata.”

Adagio took it and raised her eyebrow at me. “You’re just giving all this to us?”

“Sure. I have a bunch more kits like this one at home.”

“Prone to getting injured are you?” asked Aria in a mocking voice.

“Pretty much yeah,” I replied with a small smile. “Cuts and burns are a regular occurrence thanks to my hobbies and lifestyle. Also, my cell and land line numbers are on my business card inside. If you decide to stay in the area and want to try a change, give me a call. The land line will be the only way until I replace my phone. I’ll arrange to introduce you to the other girls properly and we can take it from there.”

Aria and Adagio both glared at me before scooping up their drinks and walking towards the door.

“Don’t hold your breath,” Adagio shot back at me before walking out the door.

Sonata hesitated for one moment and looked at me with an oddly wistful expression.

“Thank you,” she said quietly before running after the other two Sirens.

I watched them leave and let out a massive sigh of relief. The exhaustion from the evening was going to catch up with me but I had accomplished my mission. Mr. Cake came over and we watched them walk away down the street.

“Who were those girls, Silver? Are they friends of yours?”

“I’m not sure yet,” I replied, pulling out Sunset's phone to find out how the rest of the concert went. “Hopefully, we’ll get to find out.”


Hey Dash, it's Silver here. All done patching up the Sirens and I’m walking back to get my car at the park. Where are you and the girls at?

All done, we blew the crowd away. Tomorrow’s concert is gonna rock! Girls and I r heading home for nite.

Ok, if she's still there tell Sunset I'll have her phone at school in the morning.

kk


By the time I pulled into my driveway at 9:00, my body was aching like I had gone through a wringer. A soak in the hot tub would have been ideal it wasn't for the puncture wounds on my chest and the effects of the Taser. The last think I wanted to do was risk falling unconscious in the pool, plus the punctures on my chest could get infected. The repeated electrocutions had left my skin itching and aching every time my shirt brushed against it.

The instant I got out of my car I stripped off my shirt and let the night air cool my aching skin. I stood in the darkness and stared up at the stars. The sky was glowing with an uncountable number of twinkling lights and it was breathtaking.

“We've always wondered what's out there,” I said to the stars. “Every day, humans stare up into the sky like this, dreaming about the possibility of new worlds. Millions of words of writing are dedicated to the dream of discovering something new, something alien. Well, now something has appeared, not from the sky but practically in our back yards. Another universe just a step away, filled with a familiar, friendly and yet alien civilization. I can look up at the sky now and see not just a wishful dream but instead a probability. I can say with utter, absolute certainty, there is more out there waiting to be found.”

Nicely put. I like that.
Life sure has gotten weird Spark.
Yeah. A bit. Huh, I suppose I'm part of the weird.
Yes, but one of the good parts.
Glad you think that.

I sighed and walked over to unlock my door. I stepped into the dark living room and flicked on the light.

“SURPRISE!”

“AAGH!!!”

I dove to the floor and landed painfully on my stomach before my mind had time to register the presence of all seven of the girls and Spike sitting in my living room waiting for me. The room was decorated with balloons and the kitchen table was covered in snacks. They began to laugh at my reaction which I joined in for a moment. Unfortunately, that didn’t last and I began coughing as exhaustion and injuries caught up with me.

"Still as high strung as ever are ya?" Applejack asked through her amusement. "Exactly like the day after the formal."

“That was an interesting speech by the way. Very appropriate," said Sunset as she walked over.

“Hey there,” I responded between breaths while my heart raced. “Can't . . . believe . . . you all . . . heard that. I think you all nearly finished what the Sirens started earlier. Just give me a second.”

I rolled over and sat up, continued breathing. Sunset took in the bandages on my chest and her brow furrowed while Fluttershy knelt down to examine the bandages.

“What is this, Silver?” asked Fluttershy. “Didn’t your armor protect you?”

I sighed sadly and turned to look at the floor. It was time to come clean and confess. “When we parted ways this afternoon, I concluded the only way I could help was to try to buy you some time. So I followed the Sirens after school intending to incapacitate them by any means necessary. Turns out they could smell and feed on people who have intent to harm which let them take some of my magic. These bandages are covering the burns and puncture wounds from the Taser they used to protect themselves from me. They used it on me until I was unconscious.”

The mirth in the room had dissolved to silence. I couldn't risk looking up at them while I continued. “Somehow I managed to force myself awake, which is the only reason I managed to get there in time to help for what it was worth. Acting without talking to all of you was the dumbest thing I've ever done. It's one of the reasons I had to go help the Sirens after the Battle of the Bands. They needed to know I wasn't going to try and hurt them again.”

The silence continued for a moment before Dash spoke up. “Lemme get this straight. You decided to fight three evil mind controlling sirens that could give you a seizure with a short song and got Tasered unconscious. Then you somehow managed to wake up, get up and come to the park in time to confront them again in an epic flying battle and then followed them to make peace after we won. You did all that for us and you're feeling BAD about it?”

Sunset knelt down next to me and took my hand in hers. “Silver, all of us made mistakes today. None of us talked about our problems or our fears. That choice nearly gave the Sirens the world. When it came down to it, you were right there with us when we needed you.”

“I'm sorry we left you believing you had no other choice,” Twilight added as she walked. “It was a very brave decision and I’m glad you’re OK. I’m impressed you chose to help the Sirens after what they did to you.”

Relief flooded me but I knew deep down I had nearly done something awful. It was going to take a while to come to terms with my decision but at least I still had my friends.

Pinkie jumped in and pulled me up to my feet. “Ok, that's enough of the pity party, Silver! This is a slumber party so let's have some fun!”

I looked around the room, slowly registering the girls were all wearing pajamas rather than their normal clothing or the crazy dresses they had on at the concert. “Wait, you’re having me join you for a slumber party?”

Rarity sighed and crossed her arms while looking over at me sympathetically. “We had an overdue revelation after you left to find the Sirens, darling. Ever since the fall formal, you’ve been nothing but a gentleman towards all of us.”

"Remember the day we went swimming in our underwear?” Dash piped up. “You didn’t even hesitate to turn away when I teased you.”

I blushed and covered my face with my hands while the other girls giggled. “Geez Dash, you’ve been saving that one for weeks,” I replied through my hands.

“It never occurred to me that there was an actual nudity taboo in your society during my first visit," Twilight added in an embarrassed voice. "My body didn’t have fur so the clothes seemed sensible to stay warm but it never occurred to me walking around in a towel would be provocative. You didn't even make me feel nervous the way some stallions back home do.”

“After ah heard these stories, ah found myself wondering,” Applejack said. “If we all trust you enough to be alone with you, why don't we trust you at a slumber party when we’re all here?”

“So we thought we’d have one here with you to celebrate. If that’s alright with you Silver,” Fluttershy said quietly.

I looked over at Sunset who looked slightly embarrassed. “Yes, I told them about our conversation last night. Sorry.”

“No, it’s alright Sunset,” I replied with a smile growing on my face. “As you said, some of the problems we had over the last few days would have been avoided if we had talked to each other. Thank you all, your trust means a lot to me.”

“Ok, that's it! Melancholy and confession time is over!” Pinkie said firmly dragging me into my own house. “Come on, it’s time for some fun.”


An hour later we were relaxing in my living room watching a movie. I had pulled on a soft silk shirt that was the only thing I owned that didn't make the skin on my chest scream in pain. Even with the promise I had made to Sunset, I still preferred hiding my scars. There had been an interesting debate about which movie to watch because Twilight and Spike had never even seen any human films before. The girls finally settled on The Princess Bride which was a choice I had no issues with. Spike had been a bit put out at the beginning, just like the kid ironically but it pulled him in after a bit, especially when the sword fighting started.

I was only half watching since I’d seen it several times before so I glanced over at Sunset. I caught her eye so I gestured at the kitchen. We both got up from our seats and walked over to the snacks on the kitchen table.

“What’s going on Silver?” she asked quietly.

I kept my voice to a whisper to avoid disturbing our friends while I leaned in to put a few chips on my plate. “I wanted to ask you about the background photo of the two of us on your phone..”

Somehow she managed to turn pale and blush at the same time. “Uhh . . . umm . . . well, horseapples. I forgot I the background changing app was running when I lent you my phone.”

“Why would you have a picture of the two of us on your phone like that?” I asked with genuine confusion. “It's a nice picture but how did you get it?”

She looked at me and actually giggled nervously. “Rarity took it when she was walking past the library two weeks ago and sent it to me. As for why you really don’t know Silver? After the last few weeks, you don’t even have a guess?”

I thought back over the last few weeks, looking for anything obvious but I came up blank. “I honestly don’t Sunset.”

“You boys really are clueless sometimes,” Sunset sighed. Then she leaned in and kissed me on the cheek.

My heart stopped as she broke the kiss and I just stared into those soft aquamarine eyes. They were watching me carefully as my eyes start blinking while the broken gears in my head started to turn. I didn't seem to have the will to breath while fragments of conversations with her flew through my mind.

“That means a great deal coming from you Silver."
“Yes. Absolutely. Let's go on an adventure.”
“That was a pretty good first date.”
"Is that your heart I'm hearing Sunset? It sounded like it just skipped a beat."
“Maybe it was a tiny bit of an excuse.”
“You really feel that way?”
“We'd blow everybody's mind if we learned that for a future school dance.”
“I don't know where I'd be without you."

I stared at her, hardly believing the evidence of my own memory. I tried to assemble a response but nothing was working at the moment.

“You . . . you want to . . . uhh . . . seriously? Why me?”

Really smooth Silver.
Shut up Spark, I'm completely lost now.
Why do you think I'm teasing you? Relax.

“Silver you stepped in to defend me when I had no right to ask for help,” she said quietly. “You comfort me up when I feel despair and yet you let me do the same for you. We’ve talked for hours about everything from the mundane to the magical. It doesn’t hurt that you’re good looking. Also, because in spite of having dozens of chances, you’ve never taken advantage of me or our friends, or even made anything remotely resembling a pass at . . . Oh sweet Celestia, please tell me you’re not gay.”

She looked so horrified by that last thought I feared she was going to run away. I pulled myself together and grabbed her hand before she could go. I lifted it up and leaned down to gently kissed the back of her hand before facing her. Her anxious expression was begging me for an answer.

“I’m completely straight Sunset and apparently I’m quite blind as well,” I responded quietly. “I didn't really have friends, let along any girls who were more than acquaintances before I came here. Just learning how to maintain these relationships with you and the girls has been my only focus. The idea that something more was a possibility never even crossed my mine.”

“I suppose my hints were a bit subtle,” she teased before her expression became worried. “I was afraid of your reaction after everything I did to you before and I want to take it slow after what happened with . . . well . . . so do you want to give this a try?”

I continued holding her hand in mine as I came up with a proper answer. “Sunset Shimmer would you like to go out on a real date with me? That is if you're willing to consider being the girlfriend of the school outcast who has absolutely no clue what he’s doing.”

“I think I can manage if you’re willing to be the coltfriend of a pony turned human with a history of demonic transformations, whose only prior relationship was all take and no give,” Sunset replied glibly but I could tell her body was tense as she reminded me of her baggage and her origins.

"Good point, let me think,” I teased, tapping my chin thoughtfully for a moment and then I grinned at her. "Nope, can’t see any issues there. If anything, we'll never have an argument that'll top our first one.”

“You are a brat,” she said, feigning annoyance while starting to smile.

“Takes one to know one Sunset,” I responded while pulling her into a hug. I laid my head on top of hers like I had at the police station and I felt the tension flow right out of her.

Did this really just happen, Silver?
I think it did. I hope we aren't asleep.
Nope. I’m pretty sure we regained consciousness.
I hope you're right.

“FINALLY!!”

Rarity's outburst snapped the two of us out of our embrace and turned our attention over to the living room. We both flushed red when we discovered our seven other friends had abandoned watching the movie in favor of our conversation. Rarity’s grin was so wide I was afraid her face was going to split in half. Everyone else looked pretty surprised but had supportive smiles on their faces as well.

“Lady Belle, wouldst this be the cause of thine outburst of despair at the police station?”

Rarity's grin faded and she looked appropriately embarrassed. “Yes Sir Spark, I fear I nearly ruined things for Sunset that day. She implored me to remain silent when I divined the truth of her interest. She was so close to telling you that day, though!”

“I see,” I replied. “I suppose it's a good thing I'm a bit of a ditz then. Did the rest of you know?”

Everyone else shook their head while I wrapped my arm around Sunset's waist.

“Well, I guess this saves us the trouble of telling our friends we're dating.”

She leaned into me, “I suppose it does. Shall we get back to the movie?”

I nodded and we walked back to the living room. I was on autopilot and heading towards my recliner when Rarity jumped off the couch and stole my seat. I was about to object but Sunset steered me onto the couch and sat down next to me. I was caught completely off guard when she grabbed my arm and pulled it around her. She leaned in against me and settled in with her head on my shoulder.

“I can tell you really haven’t had a girlfriend before,” she said in a playful tone. “Snuggling on the couch is mandatory just so you know.”

“I’ll suffer through it as best I can,” I whispered back.

“You'd better not suffer too much for my sake,” she replied while shifting as if to get up. “I could just move to a different spot”

I wrapped my arm around her waist more tightly so she couldn't escape. “No can do, a rule is a rule. I'm sure I'll survive.” I paused for a moment and considered our brief conversation. “Sunset, is our relationship going to wind up being a battle of wits?”

“I’ll be disappointed if it doesn't,” she replied. “Hope you can keep up.”

She bumped her head against mine in what felt like an analog to an equine nuzzle.

I gave her a squeeze with the arm wrapped around her. “I’ll do my best, though I fear I am horribly outclassed.”

“Come on you two, save it for later!” Dash interrupted. “The best part of the movie is coming up.”

I nudged Sunset gently with my shoulder and pulled her in close beside me. She nudged me back before we both quieted down as the last act of the movie began. This was the part of the movie with an epic battle, ending with the lead finally getting the girl. It was so ironically appropriate I wound up with the biggest grin on my face for the entire rest of the movie.


As the evening wound down, the girls dispersed into smaller groups of conversation and games around the house. Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, and Applejack had dug into the family game collection and were playing Settlers of Catan at the kitchen table. Fluttershy and Rarity both had notebooks out and were busy writing. Fluttershy working on new lyrics for songs and Rarity was sketching something while Spike slept in her lap.

This left me talking about the magical incidents with Twilight and Sunset. Twilight was relaxing in the recliner while I was sitting in the corner of the couch nearest her with Sunset using my lap as a pillow. The three of us had just finished talking about the Halloween incident. There was an unspoken agreement to not discuss the incidents with Flash this evening. We already had enough stress in our lives.

I was gently running my hand across Sunset's head and down the length of her voluminous red and gold hair while she rested with her eyes closed and a content smile on her face. I looked down at my new girlfriend with stunned disbelief for what seemed like the hundredth time. I had no idea what I could have done to deserve her interest and I certainly had no idea what I was doing. In the meantime, there were still many things to discuss, including a small conversation with the individual hiding in my mind.

We have to tell Twilight and Sunset about you Spark.
I was afraid you were going to say that.
Yeah. I hope it doesn't mess things up but I don't want them finding out by accident.
How about in the morning when everyone is rested?
Deal. Time to ask that other question.

“Twilight, I've been meaning to ask if you had any luck finding my counterpart.”

Her face was concerned when she replied. “No I haven't and that is worrying me. The Thestral colonies keep a detailed census of their population and family trees. They take incredible care to avoid inbreeding due to their small, dispersed population. You and your parents have no identifiable counterparts. Luna and I searched every source of information we could think of since she knew all your names and their appearances thanks to your dream.”

“There are over seven billion humans on this side of the portal,” Sunset said thoughtfully from my lap. “Even when you include every other known intelligent race; the population of our world is much lower. Maybe his counterpart is a different kind of pony.”

Twilight's expression was one of frustration. “I have enough samples to be confident that's not how the portal works. Every person with magic on this side of the portal received the pony characteristics of their alternate. Granted, I don't know why you, Rarity and I didn't grow unicorn horns but it still fits. Additionally, every person on this side of the portal who contributed to the harmonic magic to defeat the sirens has a counterpart on the other side. Now we have a human without a counterpart that has contributed.”

“Excuse me, darling,” Rarity piped up. “Did you say Sunset and I should have unicorn horns?”

“If your transformation went further like Silver's, maybe you would,” said Twilight. “Your counterpart is a unicorn.”

“That sounds lovely darling. I would love to experience that for myself someday.”

“We'll have to see. Princess Celestia was worried about the portal's balance when I first came here and I'll have to ask her about that before I can let anypony travel either way. If she gives it the all clear I'll let you all know.”

Sunset laughed. “Getting back on topic Twilight, I should point out we don't have counterparts on the other side. That’s where we’re both from.”

“Well yes but there should be human versions of both of us here,” Twilight said. “Come to think of it, your Pinkie Pie thought she recognized me when we first met so my counterpart might live in the area. Silver simply doesn't fit the observed pattern.”

Spark, if you're my counterpart we have really screwed the universe up.
Relax Silver, I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

“The human world operates on different rules,” Sunset countered. “I don't have a counterpart who carried an element of harmony and yet I still ponied up and contributed.”

“Maybe,” she grumbled. “I still feel like there's some critical piece of information missing. I find that both frustrating and exciting.”

“You just keep screwing with everybody's theories don't you, Silver,” Dash piped up from across the room. “Always have to be the exception to the rules Mister walks on walls and grows bat wings any time you want.”

“Wait, you walk on walls?” Twilight said. “How does your magic help with that?”

“Oh, that’s not magic Twilight,” I said. “It’s a jumping technique I learned ages ago that complements my martial arts. I can get to a second-floor window if I hit my jump exactly right.”

“That's probably why Mister Discord likes you Silver,” Fluttershy said with a giggle. “He always says that the most interesting people never do anything kumquat.”

We all chuckled at Fluttershy’s quote but Twilight just sighed. “I’m glad Discord is less trouble on this side of the portal but please be cautious around him. He is dangerously unpredictable in my world.”

Fluttershy looked curious. “How dangerous?”

“He's thousands of years old and calls himself the Lord of Chaos. Funny enough, he seems quite fond of my Fluttershy as well. She's the main reason he's sort of our ally now.”

I stared over at Twilight. “Our janitor’s counterpart is the Lord of Chaos? That's almost weirder than Princess Celestia being the opposite of our principal.”

“You're telling me!” Twilight exclaimed. "There is something really strange about the connection between our two worlds."

“We really need to get the data for your project Sunset,” I said. “It might give some more insight.”

Twilight looked curious. “Which project is that?”

“We're going to get death records for as far back as we can go for Canterlot and the surrounding area to see if there are any spikes correlating with the portal openings,” Sunset explained to Twilight. “We're worried Silver was drawn here under the control of the Sakitan curse. He didn't show any serious symptoms until the portal opened.”

“That's a frightening thought,” said Twilight. “Luna was reluctant to discuss the daggers when I got back since they appear to be a sore subject for her. The weapons shouldn't even be viable in a non-magical world like this one.”

“Ah'm thinkin our world isn't as non-magical as that Starswirl guy thought,” Applejack interjected from the kitchen table. “Hah! Brick and wood! That gets me tha longest road which puts me at ten points. Gotcha Dash!”

“Darn it! I was going to win on my next turn!”

“Don’t take it too hard Dash,” said Pinkie. “That was pretty good for your first time playing.”

“Applejack is right about one thing,” Sunset said before yawning and closing her eyes. “The Siren's magic appears to have worked, albeit poorly, without any access to Equestrian magic for a thousand years.”

Twilight looked up at the ceiling and yawned as well. “Good point. Nopony is perfect I suppose. Not even Starswirl the Bearded. My goodness, I should go get some sleep.”

"I think we all do darling," said Rarity. "We still have school tomorrow after all."

“There are two furnished bedrooms upstairs you are all welcome to use as you feel appropriate," I said. "I’ll be quite comfy sleeping down here to give you your privacy. This might be a slumber party but for now, I think I've got to draw the line here.”

"Nnnggh, nope, five more minutes," Sunset muttered from my lap.

Pinkie bounced over and hugged me over the back of the couch. “You're a funny guy Silvy. Maybe next time then!”

We all said our good nights and I watched as everyone started to wander upstairs to get some rest. Twilight paused to look over at Sunset and me with a small smile on her face. The smile looked a bit tired and forced but that wasn't entirely surprising since it had been a pretty rough day. We also hadn’t talked about what happened with Flash Sentry. I really didn’t want to ruin the nice evening by prying into something that the girls clearly didn't want to discuss. I reached over to give her hand a squeeze as she went by.

“Have a good night you two,” Twilight said. “I’m happy for both of you.”

“Sweet dreams, Twilight,” I responded. Sunset lifted her hand to wave at Twilight but didn’t speak or open her eyes.

Twilight nodded and followed the other girls upstairs. I looked down at Sunset relaxing on my lap. She seemed more at peace than I’d ever seen and I was reluctant to make her move. I ran my fingers across the top of her head and through her hair again. My mind was wandering and it was taking me somewhere I didn't want to go.

“Silver . . . Why did you accept?” Sunset asked without opening her eyes.

“There are a couple reasons,” I replied in a soft voice. “You're intelligent, witty and brave; always wanting to give yourself up to protect your friends. We've already spent a fair amount of time together and it almost feels like we have already been dating. Most importantly, though, I already trust you with my life Sunset, why wouldn't I trust you with my heart when you asked for it?”

“You're sweet Silver,” she whispered sleepily. "I'm glad you asked about that picture. Not sure I would have had the courage to ask otherwise.”

“Why is it that having you here snuggling with me feels more like a dream than everything else that happened today Sunset?” I whispered, trying to put words to my fear. “I fought giant spectral fish ponies in the sky with a sword while flying with my own wings and yet thinking of you as my marefriend feels less real.”

Those gorgeous aquamarine eyes opened and Sunset looked up at me with a lazy smile. “The fact that you can accept me as both a girl and as a pony so easily makes me happier than you could possibly know.”

I felt my eyes getting moist. “I don't think I could ever see you as less. You are part of two worlds and I have experienced just enough of Equestria to understand that it doesn't matter whether you're a mare or a girl. In any world or any form, you will always be Sunset Shimmer.”

“Are you crying? What’s bothering you, Silver?”

I felt a tear run down my cheek as the smile fell off my face. “My greatest fear right now is that I’m still unconscious in the alley where the sirens electrocuted me or even worse, still in a coma from my injuries at the Fall Formal. I'm so scared I've lost track of the difference between reality and my lucid dream world. I'm not sure I could handle waking up to discover the real world is a place where this won't happen.”

She reached her hand up and brushed the tear from my face. Sunset's tired face had taken on a worried expression that mirrored my own. “This has to be real, doesn’t it? It feels real to me. Promise me you’ll be here when I wake up, Silver. Please, I don’t want to wake up alone tomorrow.”

The half-asleep, pleading fear on her face was a mirror of my own. I leaned over and grabbed a blanket which I spread over her before nestling into the corner of the couch. She still had her head in my lap and I put my hand on her cheek. “I'm not going anywhere, Sunset. I promise I'll be right here when you wake up.”

“Thank you. I'm not going anywhere either,” she murmured as she closed her eyes. Her breathing evened out a moment later.

I reached over and turned off the last light in the room. In the darkness, I could hear the faint murmur of the other girls upstairs talking as they settled in for the night. In spite of being seated upright and my fears this wasn’t real, I closed my eyes. The comforting warmth from Sunset as she rested on my lap soothed me and I was asleep in minutes.

Author's Note:

So, I guess this story has finally earned its romance tag. Only took 23 chapters. :twilightsmile: Like I said, this arc is the one I've been looking forward to for quite a while. It's not over yet by the way; there's still a couple more chapters to wrap this one up.

PreviousChapters Next