• Published 3rd Sep 2016
  • 5,546 Views, 134 Comments

Other - andrizzi



After finding the other-self, Sunset Shimmer discovers huge truths about herself.

  • ...
10
 134
 5,546

5 - Other world part 2

Sunset was already familiar with the sequence of sensations that occurred during an inter-dimensional travel. The vortex of colors, the bright lights, the feeling that your body and all your world are tearing apart and, lastly, the illusion of falling forward as your supporting legs doubled. She expected all of that thanks to her previous experiences, and she wasn’t disappointed. Still, she didn’t have any memory about a purple smiling blotch filling her vision.

Only when the blotch raised on her rear legs, throwing her own front hooves up in the air, Sunset realized that she was in front of her friend, who was a lavender alicorn.

“Welcome back home, Sunset!” exclaimed Twilight with the same enthusiasm of a foal who just woke up for Heart and Hooves day. She even started to hop on her hooves as her venting went on. “Ooh, I almost couldn’t believe your message when you let me know you would be arriving today. This is so exciting!”

Sunset had to blink a couple of times before being fully confident with her surroundings. However, she could only give her attention to Twilight, finding her big happy face and her shrills tenderly amusing. “Woah, Twilight! I’m happy to see you too, of course, but” – Sunset narrowed her eyes and scratched her chin – “how long have you been there?”

Twilight finally calmed down, finding her usual composure. “Well, when you wrote me that you wanted to come visit us, I asked Spike to clear my agenda and take care of the visitors so that I could study here.” Twilight lifted her hoof and pointed at a desk, covered with books and scrolls, near the wall. “Then the portal started to glimmer, which I guess means somepony is using it, and I thought to show you a friendly face.”

Sunset chuckled. “Leave me a little more room next time. Speaking of room, are we in your castle?”

“Yes.”

Sunset looked around in awe. “Wow, Twilight. It’s gorgeous.”

“Oh, please. The only reason I can bear to live inside of here is because my friends adorned the place. And because I didn't have anywhere else to stay.” Twilight tapped a hoof to her chin. “…And because a mystic harmony-tree grew it up just for me.”

Sunset had a short laugh. “Yeah, that’s quite an imposing manner from a tree.”

“But enough of that,” said Twilight, swinging her hoof dismissively, “you’re finally here! Princess Celestia and I were truly longing for this day to come.”

Twilight was focused on opening the doors with her magic, so she didn’t take notice of Sunset’s expression. The latter felt like she had her throat filled with chalk as she gulped. “Hehe, speaking of which, are you sure she's coming?”

“Absolutely,” said Twilight, leading the way. “Luckily, we already had a tea scheduled for today so I didn't hesitate to inform her that you were coming too. And I can assure you, she can’t wait to see you again.”

“Did… Did she say so?”

Twilight snickered and leaned closer to Sunset, looking her with a confident face. “Let's just say that I know how to read inside of the calligraphy.”

Maybe she was trying to impress Sunset, but the only reaction she got was a snicker covered by an amber hoof. “What?”

“Nothing,” said Sunset, who reached Twilight’s head with a hoof to mess with her mane. “You’re just adorkable.”

Twilight grunted in annoyance, just to recover her good mood a moment after. “You haven’t told me yet. How was the meeting with the other you? Was it interesting?”

Sunset’s left eye twitched as she mentally summarized the last evening. ‘If by interesting you mean a one way trip to the pit of insecurity, heartache, and despair…’

“Yes, very interesting,” she said, her voice higher than usual, smiling hard enough for her gums to ache a little.

“This is so rich,” said Twilight, clapping her hooves in excitement. Then she pointed a hoof towards Sunset and said, with a peremptory tone, “I expect you to inform me about every single detail.”

Sunset’s irises darted left and right, with a light layer of sweat forming on her head, then she chuckled at Twilight. “Now, now. Did we get out from the bed with the iron hoof or what?”

Twilight was a little taken aback by the friendly joke, but her mindset quickly went from one of a student overwhelmed by the emotion to a more reasonable pony as she realized what Sunset meant. “Oh, I... Hehe, I’m sorry. Maybe I’m getting a liiittle carried away by the inter-dimensional social experiment. And Celestia is also coming, and you’re here too. Which, all things considered, is probably very tough for you right now and I also should do my best to reassure you. Instead, I keep ranting about everything just adding more pressure and why can’t I just shut up?”

Sunset was about to say something to calm down her friend, but Twilight stopped on her place and lifted her hoof over her chest, holding her breath for a moment. Then she moved her hoof away and exhaled. “Sorry, I’ve been told about this bad habit of mine so many times,” she sheepishly said.

“Don’t fret about it. And you’re not pressing me,” said Sunset dismissively before trotting ahead, nearer to the next doors.

“No, I should really try to be more emphatic right now,” said Twilight, as cyan magic engulfed Sunset’s horn and the doors. “I know this is a very important moment for you, I guess that’s why I’m a little nervous for today.” A thought came to Twilight’s mind, making her close her eyes and chuckle. “Besides, it’s going to be Celestia and the two of us, who both were her students. It’s almost like a family reunion!”

SLAM!!!

Hearing the loud sound, Twilight opened her eyes wide and clenched her teeth. In front of her, she could see Sunset from her back. Sunset, who was standing perfectly still under the arched doorway now covered with cracks, turned aghast over Twilight and the two did nothing but watch at each other for a long moment. Finally, Sunset laughed sheepishly. “Haha, I... I just wanted to open the doors, but maybe I lost my hold on magic since the last time I was here.”

Twilight gave Sunset a bemused look, much to the latter’s concern, and pointed at her accusatively. “So I was pressing you!”


“I told you, Twilight, I just pushed a little too hard.”

“Well,” retorted Twilight, “Your ‘little’ exceedance was enough to shatter two of my doors, and to open cracks in the wall.”

“Twilight...”

The so-named princess hushed Sunset with a hoof and talked with a resolute tone. “You’re clearly nervous, therefore you’ll sit on my throne and try to relax while we wait. And that’s final.”

Sunset grunted and rolled her eyes before accommodating herself on the throne made out of crystal. An achievement that turned out to be way easier then what she had assumed it would be. It was pretty comfortable, despite being made purely out of a solid and hard material. It made her wonder if it was possible to craft more comfy thrones out of bizarre components.

Like a throne of swords? Nah, that would be stupid.

Still, comfy or not, Sunset was not willing to just stay seated and do nothing for the next few minutes, so she thought about a topic. Noticing Twilight’s Cutie Mark on the backrest, she pointed at all the other seats and asked, “Why are you giving me your spot, anyway? There are plenty of thrones that I could use.”

“Don’t worry,” replied simply Twilight. “It may have my Cutie Mark on it, but it’s just a chair in the end.”

Sunset looked at Twilight grinning with defiance as she thought how to attack Twilight’s logic. “Then why didn't you give me one of the other chairs?”

Twilight faltered for an instant. “Oh, um, I can’t give you somepony’s else chair. That would be...” Twilight paused and looked sternly at Sunset when she heard her muffled giggles. “You’re mocking me.”

“Just a little,” said Sunset with a smirk and a half-lidded gaze.

Sunset reluctantly looked away from Twilight’s pout and focused her gaze on the Cutie Marks drawn on the other thrones. It was easy to guess that they belonged to her friends’ counterparts, and even more easy was to her for pairing them with the right owner. Especially the three pink butterflies. Just the thought of her was enough to make Sunset feel incomplete, somehow.

She really would have liked it here, thought Sunset with a glimpse of remorse. ‘Maybe next time.’

Right then, the doors of the main hall swung open allowing the entrance of a new figure. Wearing what looked like royal clothes, a little purple dragon with green eyes made his way to Twilight. Sunset thought of a dragon emissary at first, if there was such a thing, but something struck in her mind as he went beside Twilight. “Spike?”

The little dragon looked up and said, “Hey, Sunset! Back to the real world, huh?”

Sunset blinked a couple of times before answering. “First, this world is just as real as the other. Second, you’re a dragon?!”

“Yeah-huh.” Spike nodded proudly before cocking his eyebrow. “What did you think I was?”

“I don’t know, a little diamond dog?”

Spike, clearly puzzled, placed himself between Sunset and Twilight. “Didn’t you see me when you entered in Twilight’s room to steal mmph–”

Sunset didn’t fail to notice the lavender aura that had just muffled Spike’s words. She just looked blankly at Twilight, who was smiling sheepishly, before talking in a detached tone. “Don’t worry. No offense taken. And to answer your question, Spike, it was dark and I couldn’t recognize you well. I wouldn’t have tripped over you otherwise.”

Once freed, Spike shot an annoyed glare to Twilight before turning to Sunset with a bit of uncertain. “Um, no hard feelings about that, right?”

“Are you kidding?” Sunset got up and reached Spike, looking down to him with a smirk. “I could have got away with it if it wasn’t for you meddling sidekick. To think that I was just one step close to dominating two worlds, and you had to literally be in the way.”

When he saw Sunset lifting a hoof over his head, Spike was startled and closed his eyes waiting for a blow. Instead, he felt a gentle caress between the scales of his head. “Thank you, Spike.” Looking up with one eye, he saw Sunset’s lips curved in a gentle and genuine smile.

Spike chuckled and shoved the hoof away with his claw. “Yeah, no biggie.” Then, he turned to Twilight. “I came here just to ask if you wanted me to bring the tea trolley.”

“That’s a good idea, Spike. I want us to have the best evening we can offer today. Speaking of which,” – Twilight pointed at Spike’s jacket – “that’s a really nice touch for the occasion. Where did you pull that out from?”

“Oh, hehe.” Spike grabbed the rims of his new red jacket adorned with gems and said, “Rarity passed by earlier and said she wanted to dress me up with a suit for special occasions.” As he finished showing off, Spike looked down blushing and started to push his indices together. “But, uh, she couldn’t fix it properly at the moment, so I was wondering… shouldn’t I go visit her while you talk with Celestia so she can finish it? I kinda promised her.”

Twilight could only chuckle and roll her eyes in front of the timid smile of her favorite little dragon. “Fine, but make sure to say hi to Celestia before you go.”

“Yes,” he muttered, pumping a fist as he walked away. “I mean, she’s working hard on this suit. We don’t want to let down a friend, right?” added Spike while pointing at Twilight with a wink.

The two mares giggled as Spike went out to get the foodstuff for later until Sunset brought up the conversation. “So Spike is…?”

“My closest friend, and my number one assistant,” responded Twilight.

Sunset whistled in admiration. “Bravo. Where did you find a baby dragon assistant?”

“Well, my entry exam for the CSFGU included hatching a dragon’s egg with magic and… let’s just say I passed the test brilliantly.”

“So… you hatched him?” asked Sunset with a bit of perplexity.

“Yes.”

“And then you raised him?”

“Not all by myself, I was a little filly back then, but yes. We’ve been inseparable ever since.”

Sunset frowned deeply and rebuked Twilight. “And you just call him your ‘assistant’?”

Twilight flinched, surprised and confused at the sudden shift of attitude of her friend. “Number one assistant, actually, but… yes?”

Pushed by an unknown feeling, Sunset closed the gap between them and ranted. “Are you considering the emotions of the little guy? You gave him life. You’ve been by his side during all his life. You probably thought him everything he was willing to learn from you!”

Twilight pondered on that for a second. “Well, yeah. But–”

“So, don’t you love him?”

“What?!” Twilight was completely taken aback. “Of course I do! He’s my baby dragon. But why–”

“Then why do you label him as a mere ‘assistant’?” asked Sunset, with insistence.

Twilight puffed her cheeks. “He’s proud to be my number one assistant, and he’s happy every time I call him like that.”

“Of course he is, if that’s the best you give him. Don’t you think that he wants to make you proud? Or that he wants more attention from you?”

“I think you’re assuming a lot?” hinted Twilight, narrowing her eyes.

“Maybe. Does he know that you love him?”

Twilight’s gaze got lost into Sunset’s direction. “Huh?”

“Do you make sure to remind him?” pressed Sunset. “Have you ever told him how special he is for you? How his presence fills your life? How proud you are of him?”

Twilight was staggered by all the questions, as a burning sensation of worry built up in her stomach. “O-of course he knows!”

“Has the thought never occurred to you that maybe he wants to be something more than a protegee for you? Or that he secretly sees you like family?”

Twilight was getting fed up of that inquisition about her parenting role. “Look, Spike and I have a solid relationship. He knows that I consider him family… and he would tell me if he feels neglected.”

“Of course he wouldn’t! He would be too intimidated.”

“Intimidated? Why?”

Sunset answered like it was obvious, “Maybe because you’re an alicorn princess?”

Twilight cocked her head. “That’s just a recent thing,” she said, finally stopping the rant of her friend.

Sunset, who was dumbstruck, needed a moment to fully elaborate what had just happened. She was surprised too of her own speech and the tenacity of it.

“Oh,” she said in the end. “Well, then it could be something else in your case.”

“In my case?” Twilight couldn’t help but feel that something was wrong. “Who were you talking about?”

“Oh, um…” Sunset looked the ceiling, as it could help her thinking, for a couple of seconds before shaking her head and stare back at Twilight. “B-but you and Spike! Of course. Who else?”

Before Twilight could answer, the squeaking sound of the approaching trolley announced the return of Spike, catching all the attention of the two mares. Ignoring to be the main argument of a lively conversation, he just placed the foodstuff in the middle of the room and took a silver bell out of it.

“I’ll bring this with me at the front doors, so I’ll let you know when Celestia is arriving. She should be here any minute now, anyway,” said he, before turning back to the doors with a resolute pace.

Pushed by a sudden and mingled wave of doubts, panic, and love, Twilight launched herself to her little dragon. “Spike, wait.”

“Huh?” Spike had barely the time to turn back before being enveloped with a couple of warm purple hooves.

“You know you’re my little dragon, right?” asked Twilight, with a gentle voice.

Spike, in response, looked up slightly perplexed. “Twilight? You’re getting mushy.”

Twilight blinked a couple of times. Then she blushed. “Oh. Sorry.”

Spike felt the grasp around him getting loose and he was allowed to move freely again. He walked away with a smile on his lips before turning back and sarcastically say, “It’s ok, mom.”

Spike run away snickering before Twilight could recover from the shock. When she realized he was kidding, she took a seat and stared blankly at Sunset.

“Maybe I exaggerated,” said Sunset apologetically, while scratching her nape.

“Ya think?” retorted Twilight.

Sunset thought it was better to change the subject. “Sooo, what's up? Anything new happened recently in Equestria?”

Twilight thought about that for a moment. “Actually, a few weeks ago my friends and I had to face a powerful unicorn who was stealing Cutie Marks–”

Twilight was cut short by the sound of a ringing bell from the front doors. That faint sound was enough to fill with excitement and a bit of anxiety one of the two mares.

The other one was filled with only anxiety. A lot of anxiety.

That was it. The moment she would have found out the truth. Saying that Sunset was dying nervous would be an understatement.

Any second now, Celestia was going to enter the room and they would finally talk. And she was going to ask.

‘Come on, Sunset,’ she thought. ‘Just how bad can it go?’

*****

The doors opened with a strong grating sound as Princess Celestia made her appearance. She entered through the doorway and approached Sunset with a smile on her lips, stopping once she was near enough to talk.

Celestia took her time to look calmly at her former student before nodding to a greeting. “It’s good to see you, Sunset.”

“Celestia...” Sunset gulped, and felt the corners of her eyes burning. “Are… are you my mother?”

Celestia winced in surprise before answering. “Now, I’m very fond of you but… why would you ever think that?”

“So… you’re not?” asked Sunset with a hopeful whisper.

“I’m pretty sure I would know otherwise.” Celestia approached Sunset and leaned a hoof over her shoulder. “But that doesn’t mean that I don’t consider you part of my family, Sunset. I’m very sorry for how we departed, and I think we both need to reevaluate the way we treated each other in the past. Also, Twilight has told me everything about what happened to you, from your mistakes to… more recent developments, and I’m so proud for how you changed in better.”

Celestia sat down and looked into Sunset’s eyes, smiling gently at her. “I understand that you need the support of beloveds now more than ever. I’m confident that your new friends will help you in this life-changing time of your, but I want you to know that I’ll always be here for you.”

*****

The doors opened with a grating sound and Celestia came in. “It’s good to see you, Sunset,” she said.

Sunset gulped. “Celestia. Are you my mother?”

Celestia’s face instantly morphed into a mask of disgust. “Do you really think that I could ever be the mother of a demon?”

Sunset tried to backpedal in fear, hearing a tone so severe, but Celestia came closer and narrowed her eyes. “I know everything about what you did, and I have no words, Sunset. I hope that you like where you’re living now because I think it would be better for everypony if you just stayed there while we live our lives in peace.”

*****

Celestia came in.

“Are you my mother?”

Celestia winced in surprise. “Oh, you found out?” She paused, bringing a hoof to her face. “My… so embarrassing. Yes. I guess you can call it a mistake of youth. Something I regretted from the first moment I saw you. I knew I was doing the right thing keeping you away from the castle, but of course I couldn’t just leave it at that without feeling guilt. I even tried to give you a chance some time after I abandoned you, but you had to be insufferable and screw everything up.

“I don’t know, I guess you were just born wrong or something. You weren’t even worthy to become an alicorn. A shame, really. Luckily, I found Twilight right after you left and she lived up all my expectations brightly.”

Right at that moment, Princess Twilight crawled on Celestia side and started to purr on her legs with a joyful face. “Yay, I’m just so perfect.”

Celestia looked down at her with a proud smile and caressed her with a hoof. “She’s the proper daughter I never had.”

*****

“Are you my mother?”

“Yes, I am. Unfortunately, this is supposed to be a secret.” Princess Celestia pressed her muzzle against Sunset’s. “You do realize what a shame would be for me if somepony found out about you and our true connection? You’ve just been a drag all your life long, and I could barely tolerate your sight even when you were my ‘beloved’ student. If I wasn’t so pure and kind I would have thrown you into a pit instead. Probably should have done it anyway, seeing how you were only able to disappoint me. Not even Luna ever managed to delude me as much as you constantly do, and she terrorized all Equestria by becoming a monster. But I guess you succeeded in at least one thing since you did even worse than her.”

*****

“Sunset! Are you alright?!” shouted Twilight as she grabbed and shook Sunset by her shoulders.

Snapping out of her mental disaster, Sunset realized that she was hyperventilating and that Twilight was getting worried. With her friend’s help, she quickly worked to steady her breath as she tried to wipe out the scene she just predicted from her head.

“Sunset?”

Calm enough to respond, Sunset looked back at Twilight whose face was the representation of concern.

“Maybe you’re not ready for this,” said Twilight. “It’s ok if–”

“No!” Sunset launched herself forward, grabbing Twilight in return, with a thought fixed in her mind. “It can’t wait anymore, Twilight.”

The sound of hoofsteps from the hall cut short whatever answer Twilight was thinking of. She knew it was too late to do anything now, except for giving her friend an encouraging look and go to greet her former mentor. And so she did, and the door was engulfed in a yellow-gold aura as she was coming close to it.

Finally, the door swung open to reveal the silhouette of a big and majestic alicorn. Twilight immediately recognized Princess Celestia. Her trusted mentor, the ruler of the kingdom, and her friend. Sunset, instead, looked at Princess Celestia like she had never seen her before.

“Princess Celestia,” greeted happily Twilight.

Celestia entered the room and looked down to Twilight with a tender smile. “It’s always good to see you, Twilight. Also, please, just Celestia.”

Their attention was caught by Sunset’s hoofsteps, who was slowly coming closer to them. Apparently, she had eyes only for Celestia, but her expression was blank and unreadable.

Celestia looked down at Twilight and raised a hoof, pointing Sunset. “If I may…”

Twilight nodded and stepped out of the way, making sure to give enough space to the two of them. Knowing that she was going to assist at a delicate moment, Twilight looked between Celestia and Sunset with great emotion. She really had high hopes for this meeting, for both of them.

A short moment of silence passed before Celestia decided to speak first. “I was glad to know that you wanted to see me, Sunset.”

Sunset merely kept staring at her.

A hint of dejection was barely visible just for a little instant on her face before Celestia tried again. “…I missed you during all these years.”

Still, no answer.

Celestia’s smile finally wore off as she looked down, sighing and slightly nodding her head. When she looked back at Sunset, her voice was gentle and calm. “I was hoping for a simpler reunion, but I recall that we didn't depart on the best terms.” Her lips curved into a reassuring smile. “If you feel like you have to get something out of your system, go ahead.” Her voice sounded so gentle, so helpful. “There's something you want to talk about?”

There was another short moment of silence before Sunset said something.

For all that time, Sunset did nothing but stare blankly at Celestia. Perfectly still.

When she finally talked, her voice was completely calm and casual. “Are you my mother?”

And just like that, nopony made a sound for a long moment.

For a long moment, it was like being inside a painting. Not a single sound. Not a movement. Everything and everypony were perfectly frozen in place.

Perfect inertia.

Broken, eventually, by Celestia. “Could you repeat? I’m not quite sure–”

“Are you my mother?” repeated Sunset, keeping her tone and her cool.

Celestia, on the other hoof, was starting to look shaky. She darted her eyes around as she was trying to buy some time. “Um…”

“It’s a simple question,” pointed out Sunset, unamused.

Celestia’s eyes focused back on Sunset when she had an idea. “Well, technically I’m still your legal guardian, so I suppose–”

That time, Sunset’s voice transpired her annoyance. “Biologically, Celestia! Yes or no!”

Searching desperately for an escape route, Celestia turned her head around the room. She saw a petrified Twilight standing somewhere behind her, but nothing that could help her in that situation.

Running low on patience, Sunset stomped a hoof on the ground. “Are. You. My. Mother?”

Finally, Celestia seemed to calm down.

She looked firmly at Sunset with wide open eyes as understanding seemed to hit her.

She lifted a hoof, opening up to Sunset, and tried to be as genuine as she could. “I can explain.”

That few word were enough to turn Sunset’s world upside down. It was like seeing a mirror shattering. Like being hit by a truck. It was something that couldn’t be undone.

Sunset lowered her head. “You really are…”

“Yes, but–”

“I’m so stupid,” muttered Sunset with a feeble voice.

“No, Sunset.”

“I should have known…”

Celestia got closer, trying to be helpful. “There’s no way you could have–”

Instantly, Sunset raised her head and shot a piercing look. “You…” she said in a low tone.

Celestia couldn’t tell when Sunset’s eyes morphed from a mask of sorrow to one of wrath. It was too fast. She couldn’t even tell she was backpedaling until Sunset started to move along.

“You…”

“Sunset–”

“How could you…”

“–allow me to explain–”

Sunset’s horn lit up with a cyan color. “I won’t listen!” she yelled.

Celestia stopped, frightened.

“Sunset, please!”

Sunset charged her horn.

SHUT UP!

Celestia saw Sunset recline her head backward.

The reaction was instinctive.

Covering her eyes with one hoof, Celestia summoned a shield right in front of her and waited for the blow.

There were a second, then two…

The blow didn’t arrive.

Reopening her eyes, Celestia looked for Sunset. All she could find were the glimmering cyan residues of her spell.