• Published 31st Aug 2016
  • 1,326 Views, 53 Comments

The Knights of Friendship - Joeyjambo122



Young Royal Guard recruit, Shining Armor, is given a small task to oversee the Summer Sun Celebration, but things take a dark turn when Nightmare Moon shows up.

  • ...
3
 53
 1,326

Prologue

Author's Note:

My first attempt at a non crossover story and it is an alternate Mane Six story. Please provideo constructive criticism.

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought out the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies.

But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night.

One fateful day, the younger unicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one's heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Moon.

She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night. Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponydom: the Elements of Harmony. Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister, and banished her permanently in the moon. The elder sister took on responsibility for both...

" '....Sun and Moon...' "

"'and harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations ever since.' Alright Twily, I read you the book, so will you please go to sleep already?" A tired Shining Armor ask the bookish little filly. A small yawn answered the question. Shining smiled softly at the filly before giving her a quick kiss on the cheek "Goodnight L.S.B.F.F." As he turned to leave the room, Twilight's tired voice piped up.

"Shiny... is that story true? About Nightmare Moon and the Elements of Harmony?" The curious filly asked as she sat up a little.

Shining chuckled a little at his little sister before answering. "Don't be silly Twily, it's just an old pony's tale. There's no such thing as Nightmare Moon or the Elements of Harmony. Now to bed with you." The tired stallion playfully commanded as the filly giggled and went under her covers and went soundly went to sleep.

5 years later

Shining walked up the stairs of his home after a long day of his training. Being the student of the captain of the Celestia's certainly hard, but worth it.

Shining went to his own room to find his twin baby dragon assistants that his family adopted when they were found on their doorstep cleaning his recruit armor.

The oldest twin, a male purple dragon with green eyes and spines named Spike, noticed him come in. "Hey Shining! We're almost finished cleaning your armor for you. And seriously, how many times are they going to make you run through a mud covered obstacle course anyway?" He complained as he smoothed out a paticulary big spot of dried up mud.

His younger twin sister Spines had the same color of scales and spines as her brother, but unlike her twin, her spines were less solid and resembled a pony's mane slightly as drooped a little on the left side of her head, and while her brother never wore clothes, she had different shirt on everyday, this day she was wearing a white shirt with a picture of sword with a heart shaped handle on it.

Another thing that made her a little different from Spike, was that while her brother was very sarcastic, she was a very silly dragoness and was usually less serious then her brother. She was currently looking at her reflection on the armor with a goofy grin. "Ah quit complaining bro, cleaning mud off his armor is better then when that flock of pigeons left behind last week."

They quickly made a gagging noise in agreement. "Your right sis, that was way worse than mud." Shining shivered at the reminder of that event, which was due to losing a bet with Twilight, though he managed to shake the disgusting thought from his head. "Don't remind me. But seriously, I don't know where I be without my two favorite assisstants to help me." He complimented.

"Which brings me to something else, have you finally decided who the number one assistant is?" They both looked at him expectantly. He chuckled at their never ending competition. "My answer is still the same as last time. You are both equally great assistants and no amount of begging is gonna change that anytime soon."

They both uttered an annoyed groan at the same answer. "Alright, let's get you two to bed." A belch erupted from Spike and a scroll materialized, bearing the the Royal Guard symbol.

"A letter from Captain Star Sword this late? It muse be pretty important matter. 'GASP!' Maybe he's finally granting my request to move up a rank in my training!" Captain Star Sword was not only Princess Celestia's most trusted soldier, but he was also Shining Armor's mentor after he saw potential in the young recruit and was personally training him himself.

Quickly opening the letter, Shining read it out loud. "To my young student Shining Armor. There is something I must discuss with you when you arrive for training tomorrow, so please come as quickly as you can."


The next morning...

Shining stood attention in his mentor's office/training room as Star Sword paced back in forth. Spike and Spines stood at the other of the room playing with foam swords used for practice sessions. Star Sword was a blue with a black unkempt mane and his cutie mark was a picture of sword with a star shape cut in it and and wore the purple armor the symbolized the capt a in of the royal guard.

Star cleared his throat before speaking. "We're here to talk about your request to move up in your guard rank." His voice calm and neutral and an unreadable expression. Shining grinned like an idiot on the inside, but managed to supress it to a small but professional smile on the outside. "Unfortunately, I'm going to have to turn down your request."

Okay, he wasn't expecting that. "Bu- but sir-" His stuttering was stopped just as quickly. "Stand down recruit!" His mentor's voice quickly shut Shining Armor's mouth. The stern voice even stopped the twins antics long enough to look over.

Star Sword quickly regained his compsure. "Sorry for my outburst. I know you believe your ready for this responsibility, heck your one of our most promising recruits. Your hard working and indipendent and dedicated to the duty of a guard, but that can only get you so far in being a member of the Royal Guard and you need to start relying on ponies you can call friends." The more his mentor talked, the more crestfallen Shining became.

"However..." Shining raised his head a little. "I may reconsider request if you mind doing a certain task for me." Shining looked at him curious. "What is it?"

"Princess Celestia has asked me to help oversee the Summer Sun Celebration tomorrow, but after I received your request, I asked her peremission if you could oversee the preperations for me... that is IF your willing to accept." Overseeing the preperations for Summer Sun Celebration didn't sound that hard a job and would be a pretty simple task and comelting this job wwill help his status in the guard.

"Sure, I'll do it. Is it being held here in Canterlot?" He asked.

"Not exactly.... Tell me, have you ever heard of a town called Ponyville?"