• Published 29th Aug 2016
  • 4,378 Views, 105 Comments

An unexpected friendship - Shadow SSS



Being a new student is never easy... Being a new Shadowbolt is even worse. This is the story of your new life as a Shadowbolt

  • ...
7
 105
 4,378

Chapter 5 - Amending Fences

The results were finally back. This past two days you were dying to see how you did with the project you made with Twilight, and finally it was here. A+, you could not believe your eyes. This was your very first perfect grade in all your life. Sure Twilight did help you quite a lot, but the fact that it belonged to you was what you were happy about. You did not want to abuse Twilight’s patience and friendship, but you were hoping she could help you further in the future.

You did not want to push her too far because you were well aware of how people had treated Twilight in the past. Just going to talk to her to get help with their homework or tests and then let her go like if she is nothing. You were not like the others, you really wanted to be friends with her, the fact that she could help you with school as a plus, but not mandatory.

This grade was going to boost your grades exponentially, and boy did you need this small boost. You could finally take it a little easy and maybe focus your studies in some other subject.

Now that Chemistry was taken care of, you would need to see what you will do… and since History was your next class, why not work towards getting better grades in it. You were both glad and kind of nervous. Miss Chrysalis was bound to give those weird, unexpected group projects that you would either end up doing alone because no one ever wants to pair with you, or you would be stuck with a group that just leaves you out of the team basically and end up working alone anyways… but this time was different. Surely Twilight would not mind working with you now that you are friends?

While that was a nice thought and all, luck was not on your side this day because instead of letting you choose your own partners, Miss Chrysalis decided to make the pairs herself this time around. It was a simple project, make a history line with different events that occurred during the World War 2. You knew quite a lot about the subject, so you were not worried with who you would be paired with. Of course deep down you wished she would pair you with Twilight… like probably almost anyone else in class, but you were not. Instead of Twilight, your new partner was going to be the daughter of the principal herself, Sunny Flare.

You were not mad, just a little disappointed that you could not work with your friend, but at the very least, Sunny was not one to slack around and do nothing. She is the third smartest student after all, right behind Sugarcoat and Twilight. If you both work together, you could probably get this work done in less than two hours and it would easily be worth at least an A.

If it was any other class, you would try and see if your professor would change their minds and let you choose your own partners, but Chrysalis was not a person to change her mind easily, so your hopes were gone pretty fast. There was nothing you could do at the moment sadly.

It did not matter, you simply accepted the fact your partner was Sunny Flare and smile. Right after the class was over, you walked up to her with a wide smile on your face… maybe too big… she was probably going to think you are creepy or something.

The fashionista was just placing her books inside her bag before looking up and meeting your gaze. To your surprise, she actually smiled back at you, and it looked genuine, not a fake one! This was off to a good start!

“Look who it is. If it isn’t Anon, the guy who likes ruining perfectly good and lovely uniforms with their lunch” She said in a really sarcastic voice as her smile slowly fade away “Or even the guy who likes messing with my friends” No pressure, just a friendly chat… that is all.

At least you knew that things were probably not going to be as easy as you initially thought, time to find the right words to make this as easy as possible with both of you… and hopefully find common ground were both of you could be happy. Indigo and Lemon were just the beginning. Now you had to face the other three Shadowbotls, and this was the perfect opportunity to deal with Sunny.

“Ok, I get why you are mad, but hear me out… I am sorry, okay? I didn’t mean for any of this to happen. I didn’t want to ruin your perfect uniforms you designed or even drive Lemon away with what I said, but I promise I will do my best to make it up to all of you” It did sound kind of stupid that you had to deal with all five friends since you only screw up with two of them, but it was better to just get over with it with as little questioning as possible “All I am asking is for a chance to prove that I can do it” You said pleading trying to make peace with the fashionista.

“Alright, fine, fine. Look I am going to forgive you if you do a good work today, deal? I am not going to fail this class and I expect to see you give it your all” She warned as she began writing down something on a small piece of paper and then hand it over to you “This is the address to my place. Do not give it to anyone or you will be in big trouble. Come after school so we can get this project done” She said as she began to walk away finally “Also you will have to convince us that you mean what you just told me, do that and we will forgive you” With that, she walked swaying her hips one way to the other leaving you speechless.

It was a pretty good outcome… no yelling, no embarrassment, no anger… maybe a little anger but nothing too bad. In order to get in her good side, you would need to roll with this for now, and just like that, you left the class to head to your next one. About half way there it finally sink in. You stopped in the middle of the hallway, looked down and frown. What did she mean by…‘us’? She was not going to tell her mother right? Cynch was not going to be there with them now, right?

You did not need that. Occasionally seeing her walk down the hallways was more than enough interaction that you need with Cynch, you did not need to see her after class.


God you were really regretting not saying anything to Chrysalis when you had the chance… now you need to meet with Cynch yet again and that was no fun whatsoever. As you knocked on the door before you, you really hoped that it would be Sunny Flare the one to open. She wasn’t, but neither was her father nor mother. In fact, the one to open was Sugarcoat, who raised an eyebrow and just moved out of the way to let you in.

Did… Sunny Flare give you Sugarcoat’s address? No, she would not just let you walk inside like that if she did “Uhhh, this is Sunny Flare’s house, right?” You asked just in case.

Sugarcoat simply nodded and closed the door behind you, locked it and lead the way through the house. The outside of the house was huge. It was more of a mansion than anything, with at least 3 garages, a huge driveway inside the place, its own security near the front gates, a big garden with a fountain in the middle and all sorts of flowers you never saw in your life planted all around. The inside felt way bigger… you almost felt like you were on some sort of royal mansion. Statues of ponies, unicorns, manticors, gladiators and many other things decorated the walls along with quite a few paintings that probably cost millions. A white glittering floor below your feet, white walls on your sides with a few pinches of beige here and there, and a black ceiling on top of your head. The hallway alone felt eternal, but you finally walked inside the living room.

A table in the middle were Sunny Flare had already prepared her books, notebooks, laptop and utensils, along with a familiar face. Just across her was Sour Sweet, who was not happy at all to see you… so that is what she meant with ‘us’.

“Ah there you are” Sunny Flare said with a smile and pointed to a chair on the table that was empty “Let’s get started. I invited Sour Sweet and Sugarcoat over so we can all work together” Chrysalis did not specify if this project was strictly to just 2 people or it could be done by more.

Sour Sweet quickly protested folding her arms “Yay anon is here… HE’S PROBABLY GOING TO RUIN MY DAY AGAIN. OH WAIT, HIS FACE ALREADY DID THAT” Talk about Sweet…

“Look Sour, I am really sorry for what happened between us, but I really did not mean it! It was an accident” You quickly said trying to be as nice and calm as possible.

“Oh it was an accident, sure, JUST LIKE YOU RAMMED ME IN THE HALLWAY THAT SAME DAY?” You pretty much fucked up pretty hard with Sour Sweet, she was probably never going to let this down.

“That… was also an accident” You added as you rubbed the back of your neck. It was the truth, but you did understand why she was mad. You would not be all cheerful and happy if someone run you over twice in the same day.

“Guys, guys… there will be enough time for that later. Let’s get to work” Sunny Flare hold her hand up for both of you to focus your attention on her. It worked, and Sour Sweet did not oppose her idea. It was only a matter of seconds before all of you were ready and began working.

Just like you expected, this took no time at all. Having two of the brightest minds in school helped a lot but you could not help but notice how Sour Sweet would glare at you constantly each time you raised your view from your books to look at her. Sunny Flare and Sugarcoat at least did not seem the least interested in the topic that would eventually show up again, or at least Sunny wasn’t. Sugarcoat still had that serious expression on her face showing little to no emotions.

Time was ticking and you knew that sooner or later either Sour Sweet would present the topic once again as soon as she gets the chance, or you will have to, after all, Sunny Flare did tell you to convince them about this back in class.



The three girls began talking between them leaving you out of the picture. Well, you did not do much to get involved in the conversation either so it was also your fault, but as soon as you heard your name being called, you looked up and all three girls were staring at you.

“So?” Sunny Flare asked raising an eyebrow waiting for you to talk.

Have they been talking to you all this time and you just zooned out? You probably did “So… uhhh… Come again?”

Sunny Flare was not impressed and rolled her eyes “Don’t you want to say something to us?”

Something to them… now that you think of it, you had not given it any thought to what you were going to do, how you would apologize to them, so you had to wing it.

Taking a deep breath, you closed your eyes for a moment and relax. You could feel your own heartbeat, the silence in the room was like a cold breeze in winter giving you the chills. But you had to fight through it “Sour… I know what I did was wrong… I should have never run onto you in the first place, I should have been paying more attention… and the second time… well, I am just dumb sometimes, and I get why you are mad. You have the right to be, and I will understand if you won’t forgive me”

Sour Sweet huffed and fold her arms “Now the mister decides to be all gentleman like and act all apologetic ISN’T THAT JUST LOVELY?” She growled out that last phrase and looked down “Lemon gave me some of those cookies you made. If you give me a dozen of them per week for the next three months, I will consider forgiving you” She said not really giving you much of an option, but it was better than nothing.

With a quick nod, you smile and laugh “A dozen of cookies you will have” You had fun making them so it was a piece of cake… or in this case cookies. Besides, it feels nice to see others appreciating your hard work. If Sour Sweet is willingly going to leave this problems in the past for your famous cookies, you were not going to stop her.

Now… Sugarcoat. Have you even done anything bad to her? Was she even mad at you? Why did she have to be so… plain… show no emotions at all? It was frustrating, but you did not have to worry about that. She spoke before you and it was quite relieving actually.

“Just stop messing with my friends and we may get along. Then again you do tend to screw up everything, so it will be hard for us to even be close to friends” Straight to the point, that’s how Sugarcoat works, but you were not going to stop her. You prefer when people go straight to the point and avoid all the spinning around and making things complicated.

“Right… that I can do. I think. No, I will definitely do it!” You said with a huge smile, only gaining a shrug on her side.

Sunny Flare was happy enough with the results of this little conversation between you three “Well, I am impressed you did not shout at him even more Sour Sweet”

“I am surprised as well, considering how hard it must be to keep your anger controlled” Sugarcoat remarked making Sour Sweet go red with anger.

“YOU WANT ME TO SHOUT? FINE! I CAN DO THAT! I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIENDS!” Sour Sweet shout at the top of her lungs making Sunny Flare laugh and to your surprise, Sugarcoat smile. It was not a huge smile, but it was good enough to at least know she is not some sort of robot programmed not to show emotions. Sour on her side just looked away from her friends and mumbled things to herself you were not quite able to hear, but you knew those were probably curses towards her two friends.

“Tell me something anon. Why us?” Sunny Flare finally asked looking up at you.

“Excuse me?”

Sugarcoat and Sour Sweet were a little confused about that question as well, so Sunny had to clarify what she meant “Why try to be friends with us?”

“Why not? You guys are cool, funny, some are pretty, and I kinda owed two of you an apology so… I took the chance?” Was it bad that you tried to make friends with them? Was it against some sort of rules? Was it because you were too weird?

“Just wondering… so… you think we are pretty?” She asked as a coy smile slowly grew on her face clearly without good intentions “Or is it that you like one of us? That’s why you tried to be friends?” You walked right into that one. That is why you need to think carefully before talking to anyone. You will only end up screwing yourself up even more.

“Uhhh… uhhh w-what? I mean…” Well, you were kind of interested with one of them, but you never thought you would get anywhere. You were not exactly a really good with any sorts of relationships. The only one you had in the past just died out after a week because she found you too… simple and boring. Of course you changed quite a lot since then, but still you were not confident you changed enough to get a stable relationship.

Sour Sweet this time smile and laugh “Oh my god… he totally does. I sure hope that you dropping your food on me was not your attempt to get closer to me, BECAUSE IF IT WAS IT DID NOT WORK” Like you didn't know that by now... if anything doing that would be the opposite of getting closer to her.

“No it’s not you” As soon as you realized you said that, you covered your mouth with both hands and realized you just gave them a wild card and a confirmation that you did indeed like one of them.

Sunny and Sour exchanged little mischievous giggles as Sugarcoat rolled her eyes. For some reason, you had the feeling all three of them knew who you were interested in… considering you came this far just to make it up to her.

Sunny slowly leaned forward and whispered in your ear “Oh don’t worry, we won’t tell Lemon… yet”

Author's Note:

Hey Guys, sorry about the wait.

I've been having a lot of troubles lately and I am finding less and less time to write the fics down, so I will probably be delayed with a few uploads here and there.


Still looking for a few people who might be intrested in proof reading my chapters. Next chapter there might be someone to give me a hand, so look forward to it.

I was not all too glad with how this episode came out, but I still have a lot to learn, so please, don't forget to tell me what you think in the comments! Don't be afraid of telling me the truth whether you like it or not, and why!

Hope you guys enjoyed reading this chapter!

Shadow out