• Published 29th Aug 2016
  • 4,413 Views, 105 Comments

An unexpected friendship - Shadow SSS



Being a new student is never easy... Being a new Shadowbolt is even worse. This is the story of your new life as a Shadowbolt

  • ...
7
 105
 4,413

Chapter 4 - A friend in need

The friendship games were right around the corner now, and just when you thought that things could not get any more chaotic as they were at the moment, Principal Cinch decided that is was time to show up and ruin the little moment of peace you found in your free time between classes.

Calling all the students to the GYM room, Cynch had prepared some sort of small theater in the middle of the room like she usually does when she is ready to give a speech… this was going to be fun. The place was already crowded, from senior students, all the way to freshman, there was hardly any room to move around comfortably. Lets not mention that the amount of noise that all the students were making was pretty bad as well, making it really hard to talk to the person next to you… not that it really matter since you had no interest in talking to those around you, and neither did them have any interest in you yet. It only took a few more minutes before Cynch would finally dare to show up, stand in front of the microphone next to dean Cadance and cleared her throat as she looked around.

The room went silent almost immediately. The sooner they could get over with this, the better. You did not like Cynch, and you doubt anyone likes her really, not even Sunny Flare, and Cynch is her mother. It must be pretty terrible and annoying to have a mother like her, but it does has it perks. You get free education and you get to live with the ‘high society’, but that is a topic for another story.

“Students of Crystal Prep, we have gathered here today to announce a few things. As you all may know, there are only 30 more days until we face Canterlot High in the Friendship Games. This past two weeks, dean Cadance and I had tested all of you in different activities that will be included in this games and we have finally came to a decision. The students who will be participating have already been chosen, so please, if your name is called, step forward and form up a line”

You always hated her voice. Ever since you went to meet her the first day with your parents or your first day of school when she showed you around, it was pretty annoying to say the least. Good thing you only have to listen to it on the morning announcements and the occasional meetings like this one.

One by one, the students were called and they formed up a line in front of all the students so everyone could see them. Trenderhoof, Jet Set, Indigo Zap, Lemon Zest, Sunny Flare, Neon Lights, Royal Pin, Suri Polomare, Upper Crust, Sour Sweet, Sugarcoat and Twilight Sparkle. You were not surprised to see any of them in this group really, after all, all this students are the best of the best in almost everything that Crystal Prep covers.

“All of you have been chosen because you are the best students this school has to offer. With this team, victory is assured, and we will take the trophy and honor back to this school. My… I mean, our reputation depends on it. We will be ruined if we lose this games, so give it all you got!” Cynch finally stopped talking and began applauding. Most students cheered for those who were chosen as well.

It was hard to tell if what Cynch said in the end was more of a threat or an inspirational speech. Maybe both? There’s no wonder this school is so focused in winning with this principal. As soon as the applauses died down, Cynch told the students to go back to class and everything resumed like normal. You quickly looked around for Twilight to congratulate her for her success on making it to the team, having no idea that well, she was basically blackmailed by their very own principal on your back, but there was no way you could find out about that now.

Despite your best efforts, you could not find your nerdy friend anywhere. She just simply vanished. One moment she was there, standing in line along with the other students, and the other one she was gone. That girl was like a ninja.

She truly was a sneaky one. Speaking of sneaking around, as you were poking your head on top of the crowd to try and find Twilight, a hand creeped up behind you, reached out for your shoulder and grabbed you firmly making you jump scared at first. As soon as you turned around, you discovered who the owner of the hand was.

Standing right there in front of you was the number 1 athlete of the school, with her signature orange googles on top of her blue hair. Her big gamboge eyes locked on you in a frown as she began folding her arms once she retracted them away from you. Things could only get worse from here on out.

You were really nervous, things might be cool with Lemon after she gave you a second chance and you give her one and what not… but her friends were a complete different story. They could easily still hold a grudge towards you, or they could have already forgiven you, but by the looks of Indigo’s stare, you could tell she did not forgive you. You did upset her best friend after all.

“Hey Indi-“ Before you could even finish she placed a finger on your lips and stopped you right on track.

“I’m gonna be forward with you, so shut up and listen” she said calmly looking straight into your eyes. You could see the fire inside hers, just like if she was trying to burn you with her gaze at the moment “Lemon might have forgiven you, but that doesn’t mean we will, you heard me? I am willing to give you another chance as well, but if you ever hurt my best friend again, I will be coming for your ass, and not in a kinky way, you got that?”

You wanted to laugh at her last sentence… but you knew she would kill you if you would. All you could do at the moment was nod slowly averting your eyes from her. With that, she smiled again and let go of your lips “Glad you understand. It’s nothing personal fam” She said punching you in the shoulder trying to look friendly and all, but frankly… it did hurt a bit.

She was in the boxing club after all, or at least you think she was, and finding out about it now was not a good idea. You waited until she finally turned around and leave before reaching out with your hand to rub the spot where you were hit. The good news at least is that maybe the most dangerous one of Lemon’s friends has forgiven you… now as for the other three… those were going to be hard. Sunny Flare should be the easiest of them, but how the hell were you going to convince Sugarcoat and Sour Sweet? You knew for a fact that one of those two girls already hates you, and the other one… She just simply shows no emotions, or not ones that you can read at the very least.

Before you could duel on this little predicament you are at the moment, the bell ran once again signaling the beginning on your classes. You were already late, you did not even have your books ready… surely your teacher would understand why you are a tad late to their class thanks to this little ‘act’ that Cynch came up with, right?

Wrong… not only he scold you for being late, but he also assigned you a report on chemistry due to the next day. You had no idea what you were going to do! You were not good at all here, but you had to do it unless you want to fail the class!


It is said that when a door closes, another one opens up… luckily for you, you found your next door, or rather, it found you. As soon as classes were over, Twilight met up with you at the parking lot just as you were getting on your car. You rolled the window down and looked up at her as she leaned forward holding her books in her arms

“Hey Anon… I heard you got in trouble with professor Sombra today and he hand you over an assignment” She said casually. You were not entirely sure where this was going and frankly, you wanted to leave, the sooner you could start this assignment, the better, but you did not want to be rude to Twilight.

Of course she should know… you share the same class… regardless, you nod and sigh “Yea, you know… I spaced out and was a little late. My bad, but I’m kinda… screwed now, I have no idea how to do this homework”

“I could help you”

Twilight Sparkle was offering her help? To you? Well that was a first… usually people go to Twilight for help “I wouldn’t want to be a bother”

“I insist, besides, I love chemistry” She said with a smile and a small blush. She always gets embarrassed whenever she sounds too nerdy and she knows it.

“Well, sure! Thanks a lot Twilight… umm, need a ride?”

Without hesitation, Twilight began walking around the car and climb up on the passenger seat. Once she had her seatbelt on, she looked up at you and nod.

The ride to your house was fast and short, it hardly lasted enough for the two of you to talk about anything really, but you would have plenty of time to talk later. After you parked your car, went inside your house and locked the door behind Twilight after she went inside, you looked at her and rubbed the back of your head “Sorry for the mess… I was not expecting visits”

Your house was a complete chaos. There was cloths all around the place, luckily nothing too embarrassing… boxes of empty pizza on the table, and some dirty dishes on the sink in the kitchen, not to mention the complete mess on top of the couch.

However Twilight didn’t seem to mind. At least she did not want to be rude and say anything about it “Don’t worry… I guess that school is keeping you busy, eh?”

No… you are just lazy “Yes… school, homework, studying… you know how it is”

Without further ado, both of you sat on your table and got to work almost immediately. You were quite lucky on this one, after doing a little bit of research, you quickly realized that you had no idea what you were doing. If you were alone, you would fail this so hard, that your mother would probably sense this and immediately call you to scold you or something, but Twilight was here to save the day.

In no more than an hour after you cross your front door, you already had 4 full written pages on this topic… if you knew you would be writing this much, you would have probably just used your computer and then print down your work, but instead you had the brilliant idea to do it manually… genius, but it was too late now. It was done, and it was pretty good. You were sure to get an A for this work with Twilight’s help.

“Well, that was not so hard, was it now?” Twilight asked with a genuine smile on her face as she put her books away and looked at the result you two worked so hard on.

“Couldn’t have done it without you” You admitted as you stood up and head to the kitchen “Would you like something to drink?”

It was time to relax… no more tests, no more homework, no more nothing, just free time from here on out. At least until tomorrow when you need to get back to class that is.

“Some water please” Twilight said moving from the table to the couch

Returning with a few snacks and two glasses of water, you sat down on the opposite side of the couch and stretch your arms after handing out the glass “Thanks a lot Twilight. I don’t know what I would have done without you”

“Oh it was nothing, really. Besides, I really enjoyed it… usually people ask for my help, but I end up doing all the work. It was nice to have someone else to actually help me this time around” She said taking a sip of her glass and adjust her glasses.

And now it was time for silence. None of you said anything for a good minute or so… were things always gonna be like this with her? Or with you? You could not hand over all the blame to Twilight since you are usually a quiet person as well.

“So Twilight… You were chosen to represent our school… congratulations” You said raising your glass for her.

With a nervous chuckle, Twilight looked down and nod “Yea… chosen, right”

That was not a good sign, but maybe asking her about it was not too good.. she did not sound so ‘happy’ but again, you already had this conversation. She did not want to be part of the games… which raised another question “I thought you said you were not interested… what changed your mind?”

Twilight muscles stiffen once she was asked this and quickly looked at you with wide eyes “Oh… umm, I don’t know? I guess it was my brother. He already graduated from this school, and he always participated in the Friendship Games… I guess he persuade me?”

Not knowing the big fat lie this was, you simply nod and smile “Makes sense” You replied as she fidget in place “Everything alright?”

“Yes, yes, don’t worry” She said trying to relax before taking a deep breath “I’m just a little nervous”

“The games?”

Her answer was a simple nod. You felt kind of bad seeing her gazing at the ground with a sad face, almost like if she was trying to escape reality right now.

“Hey Twilight… you know what? You are going to do just fine, I know it. You are the smartest girl I’ve ever known! You have nothing to worry about” You tried cheering her up.

To your surprise it worked. She was already smiling again “Thank you Anon” She said as she stood up and began heading towards the front door “I should go. I forgot to feed Spike and he will get cranky if I don’t feed him in time”

“Who’s Spike?” You asked as you followed her to the door and opened it for her.

“Oh right. Spike is my dog. Maybe one day you can meet him if you come to my place?” She asked taking her backpack and ended up hugging you.

As you hugged her back, you nod and smile “I would love to. I love dogs”

After a short hug between the two of you, Twilight backed away and head outside. Once there, she looked back and waved “Bye anon”

“Bye Twilight” You should probably give her a ride back, be a gentleman for crying out loud! “Hey Twi, you need a ride back to your house?”

To your surprise, she shook her head “No thanks! I actually live 2 blocks away from here, but thanks! See you tomorrow”

“See you tomorrow” With that, she began walking down the road without a second opinion. You didn’t mind, if she was fine with it, then you would not oppose it. As soon as she turned the corner, you went back inside and sighed. Not exactly how you planned to spend your afternoon… but it was not bad.

Author's Note:

Chapter 4 is up and running!

I will bother you for just a moment. I need your help! I am looking for someone who is willing to proof read the stories and chapters I upload before I do so to make sure the grammar is good and what not.
You see, english is not my first language and sometimes I have a few slip ups and mess my spelling a tiny little bit, so in order to avoid this I need some help!

If you are intrested in helping me, and of course getting a preview of the story before anyone else for your help, just sent me a mail! All I ask is for you to have a good english level!


Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this Chapter, there are more to come soon!

Shadow out