• Published 29th Aug 2016
  • 4,426 Views, 105 Comments

An unexpected friendship - Shadow SSS



Being a new student is never easy... Being a new Shadowbolt is even worse. This is the story of your new life as a Shadowbolt

  • ...
7
 105
 4,426

Prologue - Better than nothing...

It’s been almost three weeks since you joined this new school and yet you have not made one single friend whatsoever. Not that this task was easy to do in this school, Crystal Prep High was not known for its students being social and friendly. If anything, they were the opposite of it, only being nice to those who are close to them and then discarding the rest of the students in school like if they are not worth their time, but who could blame them with a Principal like Cinch?

Not only the Principal was scary and usually blackmails her own students to get what she wants, but she also makes sure none of them get along with each other so that they can focus mainly on their studies and not their social lives.

As sad as it may sound, that was the cruel reality, and you had to face it. Friendship might be the hardest thing to get around this halls unless you are some sort of super star of some sort.

It was ironic to think that your school would be participating in the ‘Friendship Games’ against Canterlot High. The name of the event itself was already hinting you that the Crystal Prep would probably loose since everyone is so distant from each other, but you were quite surprised when you found out that not only your school had one almost all the events when they are face to any school, but also that everyone seemed to be so much… friendly with each other when it meant competing against the Wondercolts and defeat them.

Fleur De Lis hanging around with Gilda as they smirk and plan out some evil plots to mess with Canterlot’s horse statue, or Trenderhoof, Suri Polomare and Sunny Flare coming up with a uniform every Crystal Prep student could use while in the games to make sure they mean business.

Maybe not all was lost? Maybe this was finally your chance to make yourself useful, to make sure others notice you and hopefully finally stick in one group? Yes, that would work… but before you could even execute your poorly thought plan, the bell rang indicating the beginning of class. On the plus side, this would give you more time to think what you will do once Lunch time comes around.

Yet your brain did not seem to work this morning… before you could give your plan a second thought, you noticed how everyone was standing up from their sits heading towards the cafeteria to eat. This was just great, not only you wasted half your day and you have made no progress in making friends nor thinking how you can make friends, but you have zoned out for almost all your classes staring into nothing. You were lucky that none of the teachers actually noticed this.

It seemed that it was going to be another lonely lunch by yourself today on your usual table by the corner. No one has ever bothered to approach you and talk, and you have not done so yourself out of fear of rejection. Maybe it was for the best, maybe the best way to get through school was just to endure your loneliness and just accept the fact that no one is going to like you… it did not seem like that was so rare either since there was a girl who usually just sits on her own while digging her nose deep on her books, occasionally looking up to adjust her glasses.

One would think that the smartest kid on a school like this would probably have tons of friends all around them just to take advantage of her, but she did not seem to have friends. Maybe that is why she had no friends, she was smart enough to see right through people’s intentions and just reject them before they can try anything… but then again, when you first approach her in your first week, she did not even give you a look before she turned over to the other side giving you her back followed with some unfriendly words.

“Sorry, not interested. Please leave me alone”

Not that you could blame her. You were not that smart and considering how you would constantly be failing classes left and right, it was no surprise she would probably think that you were just trying to befriend her for her brains.

Before you could continue thinking about your current situation, you were brought straight back to reality as soon as you bumped into a girl while walking aimlessly. Spilling your soda and food on the girls back, she quickly turned around with a furious look on her face.

The situation only got worse when you realized who it was. That pink pony tail, yellow skin, a few freckles on her cheeks and that sweet innocent smile that changes so fast that anyone can even barely process the sudden mood swings.

“Excuse me, but could you please, WATCH WHERE THE HELL YOU’RE GOING?!” Everyone knew Sour Sweet all too well. It was hard not to really, her mood swings are so often, that in more than one occasion she ends up being the center of attention… that and the fact that she is one of the top 10 students in all of the school “WELL DON’T JUST STAND THERE! MOVE OUT OF THE WAY SO I CAN GO CLEAN MYSELF!”

Before you could even mutter a sorry, she had already shoved you to one side and stormed off to the bathroom to get clean. Two of her friends quickly followed behind. You were left there, standing now without food, everyone looking at you funny and a mess. You looked back at the table she was about to sit down to find her other two friends.

A girl with silver hair and two big pig tails on each side of her head, her light purple skin and those big purple eyes. The cold and calculative Sugarcoat, and the DJ of school, rocking that mix of grin and yellow hair with a hot pink skin color. Last but not least, those big beautiful golden eyes with a light blue eye shadow making them stand out even more, Lemon Zest. Of course she was wearing her big pink headsets probably listening to her favorite music to max volume.

The first one did not bother to even grant you a glare, she just carried on eating like nothing had happened not acknowledging you existence, but Lemon on the other hand just stood up and looked at you with a smile taking her headsets off so she can talk with you without having to yell out and constantly ask what you said.

“Hey don’t worry about Sour Sweet. She’s just mad cause you spilled your food all over her”She said casually like if that was no big deal as if you already didn’t know that, but you did not want to be rude, so you just let it slide.

“Yea, I did not even get a chance to apologize before she would storm off. I feel kinda bad for her”

The girl before you chuckled and rolled her eyes “You can just apologize to her later… if you don’t mind her insulting you again” That is when it hit you… you were talking to someone, even if this is not anything how you planned on doing so, you finally managed to keep up with a conversation that actually included more than just morning greetings or something like that.

“Well I guess I should, tho now I don't have anything to eat” It was a shame. Today they were serving Pizza and unlike other schools… this one actually looked really nice and you were eager to eat as well.

“Oh, well here” Without hesitation Lemon reached down and picked up half a sandwich she brought from her house “You can have this, it’s no pizza… but it’s better than nothing. My name’s Lemon Zest by the way”

That was a sight not everyone gets to see on this school. A student helping a total stranger… of course there were still nice students in school despite its reputation and lucky for you Lemon was one of them. Friendly to everyone, as long as you do not rub her off the other way. Why you had not tried to talk to her before, not even you can answer that question, but you are now, and you better not screw up now.

“Name’s Anon” You presented yourself as you accepted the gift “Thanks… for the food”

“No problem. No one should go hungry… You should go. Sour Sweet will be back soon, and you don’t want to talk to her right now” Considering how pissed she probably was at the moment, you were pretty sure she would pretty much just insult and even assault you more than accept your apologize. Even later it would be hard to believe she was going to listen to reason and let you go off the hook, but it was worth the shot.

As Lemon sat back down, your face slowly grew a smile and began walking out towards your table, sat down and munched down on the sandwich. Tuna sandwich with olives and tomato… It was no pizza, but it’s better than nothing.

The day went on normally and while you did not manage to make any actual “friends” at least you managed to speak to one girl. It was something but now came another hard task.

As everyone was leaving school, now talking to their actual friends and not just a random student plotting on how to beat or mess with CHS, you spotted Sour Sweet all alone near her locker room. Quickly running towards her, avoiding the people in your way, you tried to catch up to her before she could leave, but you did not consider something… the floor between the both of you had a big yellow sign that read “CAUTION, WET FLOOR” and just as you reached the area, you could not stop in time.

You began sliding forward quickly approaching Sour Sweet who had her back towards you.

“Watch out!”

Your warning was too late. By the time Sour Sweet turned around and noticed you, you were already slamming against her yet again, bouncing back and falling on your butt. Luckily for Sour, she was fine, however your bump made all her books fall from her open locker “Oh great. You again… WHY DO YOU HAVE TO KEEP ON RUNNING INTO ME AND MESSING EVERYTHING UP!?” She yelled out frustrated as she picked her stuff up

With a small blush across your face, you rubbed the back of your neck and helped her with her books, but she would just jank them away from your hands “I just… wanted to apologize for earlier” Was all you managed to mutter.

“Oh how nice of you. THANKS FOR SLAMMING AGAINST ME JUST NOW!” As her locker slammed close, Sour Sweet began to walk away but stopped mid-way, looked back at you and frown “No need to apologize now. I DON’T WANT YOU TO RUN ME OVER AGAIN”

You could not help but feel sorry for her, but your thoughts were cut short by something weird. As you turned your head, you could see a familiar green haired girl with pink skin pressing her knuckles against her mouth, giggling at what just happened. Had she been staring all this time? And why did you feel your face heating up? Were you… blushing?

With an embarrassed smile, you waved at her, and she return the gesture before walking out of school, placing her headsets on her ears and began playing the air guitar as she walks and swiftly moves through the students.

She was the one. If anyone was willingly going to open up and give you a chance to be your friends, you know it was going to be Lemon.

To be continued…

Author's Note:

Hey Guys, this has been my first fic and I hope it was good for you. I will try to make sure to do the best I can so that everyone enjoys my stories to the maximum!

It is still a WIP, but don't worry, I will try to update it as soon as I can. Let me know in the comments if you like it, or not, and what you liked/disliked about it!

Thanks for reading!