• Published 25th Jun 2012
  • 7,624 Views, 109 Comments

Twilight's Family - ApexSixtail

  • ...
11
 109
 7,624

A Twilight Mystery

“Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight finished dictating the friendship report so Spike could write it down. As he finished, he rolled the scroll up and walked over to a window. “That won’t be necessary this time Spike. I will be delivering this one to Princess Celestia personally.” Twilight said as she walked over to Spike and took the scroll from him.

When she saw the questioning look he was giving her, she added, “This is one of the weeks that I return to Canterlot to spend with my family.”

“Oh.” Spike Commented. “Do I need to go to the palace for the week?” He asked. Twilight thought about it for a moment.

“No, not unless you want to. I can ask the girls to look in on you.”

“Goodie! Rarity asked me if I could help her out tomorrow” Twilight Sparkle just rolled her eyes at Spike’s enthusiasm to be used as a pin cushion.
Just then, a knock brought their attention towards the door. Twilight answered it to find Rainbow Dash and Applejack.
“Good, you’re home. Applejack and I need you to be the referee again. She thinks” Rainbow Dash began before being interrupted by Twilight Sparkle.
“Sorry girls, but I can’t. I was just leaving for Canterlot.” As she said that, a chariot landed near the group. “I’m sure Spike would love to be your referee. Besides, I need someone to look after him for a week.”
“Why, sure we can sugar cube, but just”
“Thank you so very much. See you in a week.” Twilight said quickly, cutting off Applejack. Almost before she finished her sentence, the purple unicorn hopped onto the chariot and it took off.
The two stunned ponies watched the chariot disappear with open mouths. “Well, that was…” Applejack started to say, but her sentence trailed off.
“Yeah, that was part of the deal with her staying in Ponyville, she must go home for a week several different times a year.” Spike explained.
“Well, from her reaction, it doesn’t seem like much of an obligation, more like she was desperate to go.” Rainbow Dash commented.
“Yeah, well it never used to be that way. She would always grumble about going home and listening to her parents go on about how she should take the time and make some friends. Then one day, Twilight met a stallion.”
“Now hold on there sugar cube, are you talking about the same mare who just left us?”
“Yeah, Twilight Sparkle meeting a stallion? What, did he sweep her off her feet and into the non-fiction section?” Rainbow Dash laughed out as Applejack shot her a dirty look.
“No, usually when he wanted some alone time with her, they went into one of the privet side reading rooms. Where else would you go for some privacy?”
“Good point. So what happened?” Applejack asked.
“I don’t know. All I remember was about five years ago, the stallion moved away. Shortly afterwards, Twilight started getting very moody, and putting on a lot of weight. Then suddenly she disappeared. When she came back, not only had she lost the weight, but she started avoiding everyone. Her only joy it seemed came from the books in the library and going to her home which I never got to do afterward.”
Spike took on a thoughtful pose for a second, then suddenly, he shrugged his shoulders. “Oh well, now what was it that you wanted me to referee?”
“Oh yeah, I had almost forgot.” Rainbow Dash said as she flew behind Spike and pushed him away from the library.
“Hey there hold on now missy, wait for me!” Exclaimed Applejack and she reared up and followed Rainbow Dash.

After several hours of strenuous competition, Applejack trudged her weary body home. Despite her body wanting to collapse, her mind was still going on at a mile a minute. She just couldn't stop thinking about what was up with Twilight Sparkle and why she was in such a rush to get home.
Not watching where she was going, she ran headlong into something and caused her to fall on her rump. “Ow, hey watch where y’all are going!” Applejack exclaimed a touch ornery.
“Oh gosh Applejack, are you okay!” Apple Bloom said as she helped her older sister up.
“Yeah, I just wasn't watching where I was going.” Applejack said as she rubs a slight bump the starting form on her forehead.
“I'll say, you ran plumb right into the fence.” Apple Bloom said trying to suppress a giggle.
“I'm glad someone's getting a laugh today.” Applejack said as she shook her head and continued towards the house.
“What the hey is ‘sup with you anyway.“ Apple Bloom said as she came up next to Applejack.
"Nothing's up with me. It's just that… “Applejack trailed off.
"Just what?"
"I just… I don't… I can't… Oh, something’s up with Twilight and I don't know what it is."
"Something's up with Twilight!" Apple Bloom said in alarm as she got in Applejack’s face. "Golly AJ we better go see what's up" Apple Bloom fidgeted on her hooves was like she was about to take off.
Applejack quickly placed a hoof on her head to get her to calm down. "Whoa, simmer down there sugar cube. For one thing if anypony's gonna check up on Twilight it should be her friends, and for another don't you have that science project to do with Snails?"
"Applejack, do I have to? Besides your thing sounds a lot more fun. “Apple Bloom whined, trying to get to Applejack relent.
"Sorry there, little bit, but your schooling’s more important. Besides, like I said, Twilight's friends should go find what's wrong with her.” As Apple Bloom looked to continue the argument, a stern look from Applejack stopped her.
"Oh all right big sis, but I ain't gonna like it none."
As Apple Bloom trudged into the house, Applejack, forgetting her tiredness, turned around and headed back into Ponyville.

"Rarity!" Applejack pounded in the fashionesta pony’s door. After only a couple minutes of pounding and hollering, Rarity finally opened the door.
"What in the good name of Celestia are you doing here at this hour?" Rarity said as she flung open the door, a facial mud mask on her face and a towel wrapped around her mane.
"I need to talk to you." Applejack said as pushed her back into the boutique and close the door behind her.

As Celestia’s sun rose the next morning, Applejack and Rarity, who'd been up to the wee hours of morning planning their trip, stepped out of the boutique to start rounding up their friends so they could start for Cantorlot. They split up each heading in different directions to find their other friends. After only a half an hour, the group assembled out in front of the boutique.
"Okay now that we’re here, would some pony mind explaining to me why I had to give up my midmorning nap?" Rainbow Dash growled.
“Rainbow Dash I swear you sleep more than…”
"Just don't finish sentence AJ, please" Rainbow Dash muttered.
"The reason we have called you here is because we believe something is wrong with Twilight Sparkle." Rarity said to the assembled group.
"Oh my, is she sick?" Fluttershy asked with concern.
"Is she lonely?" Pinky Pie asked.
"Is she an egghead?" Rainbow Dash said, annoyed.
"No, I don't think so, and cut that out, Rainbow," Applejack answered all three questions in a row.
"We believe the problem is with Twilight's family," Rarity informed him.
"And you want us to go to Canterlot and fix all the problems with Twilight's family," Pinky Pie said quickly.
"Pinky Pie, why must you always do that?" Rarity questioned the pink pony.
"My pinky sense just has to get out or else I'll explode any huge gigantic enormous explosion of thousands of really tiny cute little Pinky Pies," Pinky Pie said as she twirled around and fell flat on her back with a giggle.
Flutter shy leaned over to Rarity and whispered in her ear, "Relax Rarity, it's just—"
"Pinky being Pinky, yes, yes I think we’re all familiar with that," Rarity growled with a defeated look on her face.
"Then what are we waiting for, the sooner we get this over with the sooner I can go back to sleep," Rainbow Dash said as she hurried off to the train station.
Not to be left behind, the rest of the girls ran off to catch up with their Pegasus friend.