• Published 9th Jun 2017
  • 622 Views, 4 Comments

Embers Fall - CrimsonWave



A clan of evil electronic music producers go to the desert to wreak some havoc. Hilarity and possible destruction ensues.

  • ...
 4
 622

25 - Disco Lights

Sooner or later, Sun Beamer began investigating the extent of their lighting rig. Despite how complex this Train Spot fellow was playing it up to be (alongside the equally-confusing matter of whether they were a mare or stallion either), it was actually a series of rather simple controllers and LED strips, being manipulated by software on a tablet called "Light Mania". Alongside pre-defined sequences, It was also configured to allow visitors to control some of the lights themselves, using a series of large buttons at the back of the audience area.

"We've played around with Light Mania before at work. It was originally designed for setting Hearth's Warming lights to music, but it's evolved a lot since." Sun Beamer elaborated. "The Lua scripting engine on version 5.0 is quite powerful, but a lot of users still seem to prefer the archaic 3.9 because they perceive it to be simpler."

"Oh, really?" replied Train Spot, as they watched Sun Beamer plugging some wires into a hub.

"Trust me. The benefits far outweigh the perceived disadvantages." Sun Beamer continued.

"That's why we used it here." confirmed Train Spot.

A few minutes later, Train Spot went to their controls and activated the stage lighting. It worked!

"Those light strips are subtle, but quite effective." critiqued Sun Beamer. "It would probably look better at dusk or in a more confined atmosphere."

"That's what the tarp is for, actually. It's just that we need someone to fly up to the roof of the stage and attach it. " Train Spot remarked. "Shouldn't take that much work. Wave Rider was supposed to do this, but we fell behind on construction, and then he had to perform somewhere else."

"If you just need a pegasus, I travelled here with one. I'll see if she could help." noted Sun Beamer.

"You don't have to; Wave could just do it when he gets back. It should only take about two minutes max." responded Eight Track, who had quietly trotted up to them. "It's not a high priority, but everything else was. Thanks for your help!"

"You're welcome!" replied Sun Beamer. "Also, this looks quite competent. Is this your first time here?"

"Actually, yes." confirmed Train Spot.

"Me too!" Sun Beamer announced.

"Yeah. Me, Eight Track, Wavey, Obscurus. We're all on the same record label together." explained Train Spot. "A lot of techno artists come here, so we thought it could be fun."

Something suddenly clicked in Sun Beamer's mind. Not just Obscurus, but didn't the Diamond Diablo mention those exact same names at that pre-party you went to? Though, these two actually seemed friendly and supportive; maybe they aren't actually involved in whatever nefarious scheme you've been piecing together the details of.

"Admittedly, I've been getting hooked on it too." Sun Beamer replied.

"I keep things old school; four to the floor. Solid beats. The sound of Mareami in the early 1990's or so, but with a modern flair." Eight Track noted. "More about the music and less about the musician's ego. That's why we're set up like this."

"I got two more questions I need to ask; firstly, why is this called the House of Pancakes?" Sun Beamer queried.

"It was Train Spot's idea. Wanted something polarizing and eye-catching." explained Eight Track.

"Also, I follow Obscurus's posts on social media, and she mentioned something involving 'euphorius' a few days ago. Do you know what that is?" continued Sun Beamer.

"It's her new show." Train Spot quickly interjected. "It's a large-scale multimedia experience. Revolutionary stuff. It'll debut here, but not necessarily here."

"Uh, what do you mean by that?" a confused Sun Beamer responded. "Is it here as in at the House of Pancakes, or somewhere else?"

"It's at the Gathering, but not here." Eight Track added. "Sorry, it's confidential."

Sun Beamer rolled his eyes. "Okay then."

"Though, you seem to be interested in our music. Here, have some of our newest EPs!" Train Spot announced, as she levitated a few manilla envelopes to Sun Beamer from a stack behind the DJ deck.

"They also come with a tentative list of some of our scheduled performances, excluding any surprises of course." explained Eight Track. "They said it's a tradition for the camps to not reveal their schedules. They didn't say anything about the artists covertly revealing their schedules, however..."