• Published 27th Aug 2016
  • 673 Views, 29 Comments

What Lies in a Moment - PaulAsaran



Even the most inconsequential moments can be memorable.

  • ...
1
 29
 673

Danger Beans: Night and Day

Night and Day
By Danger Beans

My name is Selena Estela Luna. And I am a liar.

Deception is a talent that I have always possessed, a talent that I have honed to perfection over many years of practice. I was raised by a pair of noble unicorns, and it was in their house that I learned the importance of lying, and of being able to see through the deception of others. Subterfuge, intrigue, deception, all are as easy to me as breathing.

I once strode through court like a circus pony walking a highwire, skillfully outwitting those who sought to bring me down. I discovered the secrets of my enemies, protected the secrets of my allies, turned my foes against each other and set entire countries aflame with but a few spoken whispers into the right ears.

Her name is Celestia Aestas Solis. And she is not a liar. In fact, she is the furthest thing from a liar that it is possible to be.

Unlike myself, she was raised by impoverished earth ponies on a turnip farm. Where the virtues of honesty and hard work were extolled and exalted. Whist I was schooled in the fine arts of magic and diplomacy by the best tutors across the land, she was learning to plant vegetables and pull weeds.

She has never had to keep her face perfectly calm while talking to a stallion she knows is plotting her demise, never had to fight for her life on the middle of the night against Griffon assassins. Never had to lie for her very life.

She has never had to face anything more dangerous than an errant woodchuck.

This is why she will lose. Despite the fact that we share the same blood, that we are sisters, she is weak. We stand across from each other, eyes locked. Like warriors in combat. I have the advantage, but one wrong move on my part could end it all.

Celestia is about to make her move; I can tell from how her breathing suddenly slows. This is it, the moment where the battle is decided.

“Do you have any . . . threes?” she asks, looking at her cards.

I narrow my eyes and purse my lips in an affectation of anxiety, pretending to contemplate my four remaining cards.

“No.”

“Luna, you're supposed to say ‘go fish.’”

A stalling tactic. She is trying to delay the inevitable. But nothing will help her now.

“Go fish.”

Celestia draws a card, bringing herself one step closer to defeat. It takes all my years of practice not to reveal my satisfaction.

Her eyes raise to me in silence.

It is my turn.

I know what my move will be; throughout this match I have been paying the utmost attention to my opponent's moves, but still I take my time, drawing out her anxiety. The battle is not won just yet, and I need to keep her off balance.

“Have you any sevens?”

“Yes, I do. Very good, Luna.” She relinquishes one of her cards to me; I take it and place it upon the table with two others.

“I have formed a trinity of sevens, and now possess only two cards, Sister. You’re defeat is nigh,” I say, looking into her eyes.

“Oh, looks like you’ve almost got me Luna.” She smiles, attempting to hide the true depths of her despair, but I am unfooled. Her resolve is crumbling. Melting like snow under the sun. “Well then, have you got any fours?”

“N—go fish.”

“Okay.” Celestia draws another card to her rapidly growing collection.

This is it. I can feel my heart beating in my chest like a drum. I have two cards left, both of the same number. If she has the last card I need, I will win this match. I have to keep calm, keep my wits about me. I take a breath, slowly, and release it. “Do . . . you . . . have . . . any . . . nines?”

Celestia doesn’t reply immediately, having to search through her throng of cards, she begins to take so long but at last she pulls one out from the others and passes it to me.

“Yep. Here you go.”

My resolve, as ironclad as it is, breaks, as I gleefully snatch the card and slap it down onto the table. “I am victorious!”

“Yep. Now can we please go get some ice cream?”

I smile, nodding. I have won this day.