• Published 2nd Apr 2017
  • 5,294 Views, 373 Comments

Reflections - RQK



Crystal Faire, a Flurry Heart from an alternate reality, attempts to stop the collapse of all existence. ...With a little help, perhaps.

  • ...
9
 373
 5,294

32 - Time

The room sparkled from the lights that made it through the green-tinted, tree-patterned windows that took up both sides of the room. Tall, crystal pillars flanked each window, holding the little hall’s high ceiling aloft. A small altar made up the end of the room; a single window bearing the tinted hints of a grassy landscape overlooked it like a sentinel.

Strands of flowers hung between pillars, bringing a little life and fragrance with them. A trio of circular tables took up the middle of the room, each bearing several small plates that ringed a cake in their centers. It wasn’t a lot but, for the occasion, it would do.

Twilight Sparkle climbed onto the raised area and, once there, turned and scanned the small crowd that sat at those tables.

Starlight Glimmer sat at the table on the left, wiping some crumbs from her muzzle with a napkin. Rarity and Fluttershy whispered to each other with the former’s smile growing wider by the moment and the latter eventually giggling. Pinkie Pie wolfed down some cake by herself while Applejack and Rainbow Dash wolfed down their pieces with each other, almost as if they were trying to see who would be done first. Spike, meanwhile, had a plate full of gemstones in front of him which he chomped down on one by one.

Princess Celestia—Twilight had to tell herself that it was not the same Celestia that she had just mourned for—sat at the right table with Princess Luna at her side. Princess Cadance—Twilight had to again tell herself that it wasn’t the same Cadance she had met in the interverse—sat at the table with Shining Armor. Twilight’s parents, Twilight Velvet and Night Light, sat next to them. Flurry Heart climbed across Shining Armor and Cadance and reached up to touch Twilight Velvet’s horn. It was at that point that Night Light reached across the table and poked Flurry Heart in the stomach, causing her to rock onto her back amidst giggles. King Thorax of the changelings, who sat at the table with them, chuckled at the display.

And Discord the draconequus, who floated above both tables, yawned and flipped over, content to watch them from above.

An unoccupied third table took up the rear of the room. On it sat three small plates with a slice of cake on each of them.

Twilight scanned their faces one last time and then nodded and cleared her throat. The room fell silent as they all turned to her.

“Thank you all for coming. I hope you all enjoyed the food and drink. Pinkie Pie,” she said, turning toward her in particular, “you’ve done it again.”

Pinkie Pie smiled as wide as a mile.

Twilight straightened up. “And again, I know this was relatively short notice. You’ve probably been wondering why I summoned you all here. The truth is… I have some things to tell all of you. A great many things.”

Discord frowned. “Oh no,” he said. “I sure hope you didn’t bring us all together for a lecture. How boring.”

Twilight shook her head and added, “It won’t be just me talking, I promise.”

That only made his frown grow deeper. “Not just you? But then who else?”

“They’ll be here shortly,” Twilight said.

Discord’s eyes popped out of his sockets, landed on the unoccupied table, and then slithered across its surface. “How strange for you to start when everyone is not here.”

Thorax chuckled. “I’m sure she’s got this all planned out.”

Several others nodded in agreement. At that, Discord reached down and scooped his eyes back up before sticking them back into their sockets.

Twilight took a long and deep breath and swung her foreleg as she pushed it back out. “I’ve been harboring a secret for some while now,” she said. “Not for longer than a few weeks, but I’ve still had it. It’s quite serious and… in some ways… very terrible.”

She could see a little bit of color disappear from her parent’s faces as they threw confused frowns at each other. The other ponies sitting at the table also frowned.

Starlight, Spike, and the rest of her friends, however, sat up straight. Rainbow Dash even smirked.

“I wasn’t sure how to approach this subject because the problem was… it still is very complicated. But so much has happened since then and I think I know what I’m doing now.” Twilight motioned to the latter table. “I’ve told them about my secret already, and now I want to share it with you… and tell you all about the incredible journey that me and… Starlight… and a few others have been on.”

Starlight glanced around as many heads turned toward her. She blushed and then waved in response.

“I… do want to preface this a little,” Twilight continued as her tone grew somber, “that… I truly think that by the time all of you walk out of here today, all of our lives will be changed forever—”

The frowns grew deeper.

“—in ways that, when I first started to deal with all this, I myself could never have even imagined.”

Twilight took a moment to put her next thoughts together and she briefly glanced toward the closed pair of double doors at the other end of the room.

“It turns out that there is so much more to existence than any of us could ever have guessed at. Several weeks ago, I met a mare who showed me this higher existence. She opened my eyes to possibilities that I could never have fathomed. There are so many realities out there, just like this one, but they are each to their own.”

She paced back and forward across the stage. “She showed me realities where… Celestia and Luna were missing, and it was I that moved the sun and moon in their place. I’ve been to realities where Equestria was a wasteland. I’ve been thousands of years into the future and I’ve been a year or two into the past. These places are real.”

Discord leaned forward and laid his head on his arms with a smirk. “Oooh. Now this is interesting.”

“Alternate realities, you say?” Luna began. “So… there are other versions of Equestria?”

“That’s right,” Twilight replied. “They’re alternate timelines if you want to be really specific about it. And these timelines contain every possible future; all infinitely many of them.”

Night Light chuckled. “That’s my daughter. Way to push the new frontier, honey,” he said, swinging his hoof around for emphasis.

Twilight smiled. “Thanks, Dad. But, truth be told, it wasn’t entirely by choice. The multiverse maybe might have needed a little fixing.”

Starlight suppressed a chuckle with her hoof.

“That was the journey that Starlight and I have been on. And so much happened along the way. I saw so many fantastical places, did many fantastical things… and I’ve met friends both expected and unexpected. A few of them are even here now.”

Twilight stood tall as a small grin spread across her face. “Maybe some of you don’t know her or remember her, but I made friends with a Sunset Shimmer from another reality.” She looked at Celestia, in particular, and asked, “Would you believe that?”

Celestia slowly nodded. “Perhaps I would.”

Twilight turned her eyes toward Cadance and Shining Armor. “Would you believe me if I told you that I made friends, I think, with Queen Chrysalis?”

A little bit of color disappeared from their faces and they exchanged raised eyebrows. Night Light and Twilight Velvet also frowned. Thorax, on the other hoof, shrunk down a little.

And then Discord laughed and suddenly appeared right beside Twilight and slapped her on the back. “Good one! I didn’t think you had it in you to make a joke like that.”

Those at the tables exchanged a few nervous chuckles.

Twilight cracked a smile and placed a hoof on her chest. “I’m completely serious, Discord. I know it sounds a bit fantastic, but I assure you that it’s true.”

Discord frowned and started pulling on his goatee while staring her down.

Twilight turned to the crowd again. “And what if I told you that the mare who opened me and everypony else to the multiverse was an older version of Flurry Heart?”

Now many of them simply deadpanned. The room was silent for several moments.

“Uh… Twilight…” Cadance began with a light chuckle. “I’m sorry. It’s just that…”

Shining Armor nodded. “It does seem a little bit far-fetched, sis.”

The double doors at the other end of the room creaked open, and all at once, the whole room turned in their seats to see the new arrivals.

Sunset Shimmer, with her red and yellow mane and tail curled without a single strand out of place, took the left. Chrysalis, with her sleek black body and wholesome aura, took the right. Crystal Faire, standing tall and proud with a gleam in her eyes, glided down the center. The three approached the unoccupied table that took up the back of the room.

While the table to Twilight’s right stared in shock (with some even rising to her hooves), Flurry Heart made a cooing sound and flew over to Crystal. The two of them looked at each other for several moments with the latter flying all over to examine every inch and the former simply following with her eyes. It was only when Flurry briefly stopped in front of Crystal’s face that Crystal reached up and booped Flurry on the nose, prompting Flurry to backflip through the air amidst a mad giggling fit.

Those sitting exchanged a few chuckles and let out breaths that they had been holding. Eyes still lingered on Chrysalis for many long moments. The entirety of Twilight’s family fixed their gaze on Crystal. Celestia’s eyes, however, fell solely on Sunset.

Sunset blushed and waved. “Uh, hi, everypony. I’m Sunset Shimmer.”

Crystal bowed. “My name is Crystal Faire,” she said.

Chrysalis blew some strands of hair out of her face. “You know who I am.”

Twilight’s heart soared and she couldn’t help but stand tall. “We all came together for one of the most fascinating and important missions in all of existence. It was circumstance that united us in our journey across the timelines and beyond, but I can safely say that it was friendship that saw us through to the end.”

The rest of the room now sat straight in their seats with their heads fully turned to Twilight. Discord silently floated over and took a standing position behind Fluttershy. Flurry Heart landed right on Crystal’s head and made herself comfortable.

As the three newcomers took their seats, Twilight took a glance at Starlight. Starlight, in turn, winked.

“And it is a tale that I want to share with all of you. But… I think that it would be best if I started at the very beginning. And really, that beginning is why I called all of you here. That beginning is my secret.”

She took a deep breath and sighed. “My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I, like them, am not from this reality, but a reality much like this one.”

* * *

The occasional tree broke up the moss and brown leaf-covered ground. The bare trees themselves only blocked out bits and pieces of sunlight. A light wind stirred the fallen leaves, adjusting them bit by bit.

A large slab of rock stood halfway wedged into the mound of dirt that they all gathered around. Twilight glanced around, inwardly noting who had wet faces and who did not. That time had come and gone, after all.

Starlight stood with Spike and the rest of the girls, and they all listened as Princess Luna spoke at length with them. And then Starlight spoke and pointed toward the stone. Discord, who floated over them, stroked his goatee and nodded before speaking some words of his own. Whether or not they would move the burial site to someplace more proper was up in the air and Twilight decided to leave them to it.

Celestia and Sunset spoke in soft voices off to the side. They each wore smiles on their faces and even shared the occasional chuckle. They were likely sharing stories, with Sunset occasionally giving reassurances that things were okay and that there was another Sunset—this reality’s Sunset and thus this Celestia’s—who was okay.

Chrysalis and Thorax held a quiet and, based on their narrowed eyes and sharp voices, pointed conversation. It, however, showed no signs of escalation. Twilight wasn’t sure if an agreement had been made yet, or if there would be one at all.

Crystal stood off to another side, cradling a napping Flurry Heart in one foreleg. Shining Armor and Cadance stood with her, and they, like all the other groupings, spoke in low tones. The latter two peppered Crystal with questions which she, with a smile, answered in clear tones.

Twilight smiled and then focused her attention on the mound itself and sighed. “Hi again, me,” she whispered. “Are you watching us now? I wonder if you’ve seen the places that I’ve been to and watched what I’ve done. Because if you have… I hope I made you proud.”

A couple of ponies came up right behind her, the leaves underhoof crackling with their every step. Twilight turned to face them. Both Twilight Velvet and Night Light’s eyes looked bagged and blood-shot, and Twilight Velvet, in particular, wiped a few more tears away, but they otherwise smiled at her.

“Mom, Dad…” she said.

“Twilight… kiddo, what are we going to do with you?” Night Light asked with a chuckle.

“It’s a lot to take in. I’m sorry,” Twilight replied.

“Oh, dear,” Twilight Velvet replied, “you don’t need to be sorry. You did nothing wrong. And it’s not every day that I get to say that my daughter saved all of existence. Don’tcha know how proud that makes me?”

“And me,” Night Light seconded.

“I’m glad to hear that,” Twilight said. “I just thought you all deserved to know the truth about what happened to her. I know it’s weird, but I just hope I can bring what she brought to the table.”

“And I hope we can be like the parents from your reality, kiddo,” Night Light replied. He scratched his head. “Oh, this just sounds weird.”

Twilight Velvet rubbed his back and then met Twilight’s eyes. “Twilight, hun, no matter what happens, we will always love you.”

A few tears formed in Twilight’s eyes and she sprang forward and wrapped her hooves around them. They, in turn, returned her embrace. “I love you too, so much,” Twilight whimpered into them.

They held each other for an eternity, and then when they broke away, Twilight caught Crystal out of the corner of her eye.

And Crystal smiled back and nodded affirmatively.

* * *

The castle’s crystal walls contained enough ambient light that, even during nighttime, she could see her way around. Nonetheless, as Twilight trotted into the library, she levitated a lit candlestick beside her. She breathed in the air, spent a moment stretching some of her muscles in the doorway, and then trotted toward the tables.

Her eyes fell on the crystal mirror that sat on the other side of the room. This one was dormant and probably would be for a while yet. She thought of Sunset who she knew was back in her home timeline. She’d have to go visit, maybe.

She wondered how the other changelings had received Chrysalis. Twilight wondered if she’d actually be able to integrate. Twilight made a mental note to check back with them in a few days.

She spotted a square object on one of the tables and she meandered toward it. Setting the candle down, she lifted up the object and unfolded it to see it in full. It was a beige cloak with some swirling patterns stitched into the side.

I guess she didn’t need this anymore, Twilight thought as her lips curled into a small smile. So… I guess I’ll hold onto it. Crystal… you’ll come back and visit soon, right?

She started scanning the bookshelves that ringed the room. She hovered over a few titles including Gusty the Great, and she immediately passed over some of the more difficult titles. Finally, however, she found one that would probably suit what she was looking for.

She pulled it off the shelf and trotted back to the table and took a seat. The candle gave her enough light to open the book and start reading.

Her eyes ran across the lines, practically soaking up what they had to say. The text led to images that danced through her head. Some descriptors had her hearing sounds and smelling stenches that weren’t there. She felt like she could reach right into the page and touch those within it—she laughed aloud and mentally convinced herself to save Haycarte’s method for another day.

She lost track of time as she sped through pages and pages. The book itself wasn’t very long, but she had a whole library. There would always be more.

Twilight sighed contently. She could do this all night. In fact, after everything that had happened, this was the plan.

And then she heard a muffled bang from what sounded like a few rooms away and Twilight perked up. The sound had been so sudden and had lasted so briefly but she recognized it right away.

She groaned, calmly closed the book, and stood up. She levitated it behind her as she trotted out the library and into the castle halls, using her candlestick to light the way.

She made her way down the hall to where she thought she had heard the sound and eventually found the double doors that led into the throne room.

And then Twilight spotted Crystal reclined across Rarity’s throne. Twilight wordlessly approached the Cutie Map but, as she brought her candle closer, she saw something that made her frown: Crystal’s body was covered with bruises of varying discoloration as well as a few light cuts.

Crystal groaned and lifted her head to see. And then she chuckled. “Hello.”

Twilight’s frown deepened. “Hi… What… happened to you?”

Crystal groaned and sat up straight. “Well, Twilight, it turns out that that saving existence really takes a lot out of you. I’m nowhere near full strength anymore. I’m winning fights but, obviously… I’m not getting out unscathed right now.”

“Wait,” Twilight sputtered, “you already went back to work?”

Crystal nodded. “I’ve saved a good many timelines or so. But I’m starting to think that I should have waited a while to recuperate.”

“Well, of course you should! You should take a break!”

Crystal sighed and laid back into the seat. “Actually, Twilight, I think I need a full-on vacation. I was thinking of finding someplace to settle down for a year, maybe two, especially so I can do bookkeeping on the multiverse.”

Twilight placed the candle on the Map and circled the throne to where Crystal’s head hung over the edge. “That sounds like a great idea. Actually, if you don’t have any other places in mind, you’re welcome to stay here. I’d be happy to have you around for a while longer.”

Crystal nodded. “Huh, maybe,” she yawned.

Twilight grinned. “Wow, you really do look exhausted. You can sleep in my bed tonight.”

Crystal’s eyes flickered about for just a moment and then she smiled. “Ah, yes. I see you were planning an all-nighter.”

“I’ve wanted to relax over a few good books,” Twilight said with a giggle. She then grabbed hold of one of Crystal’s forelegs and gave a tug. “Come on, you.”

Crystal groaned and hopped off the throne. Twilight led her out of the room and into the hall. They walked in silence, guided only by the candlelight.

“I doubt I’ll be able to sleep in your bed every night, however,” Crystal began.

“No, of course not. But I could always set up a room for you.”

Crystal hummed. “Well, I do not know if I particularly want to live in a castle. I’ve been there and done that.”

Twilight frowned. “Well, if not here… maybe you could find some place in Ponyville?”

“That was my thought.”

“I’m sure there are some places around town that are for sale.”

“There are; I can see them from here,” Crystal replied with a nod.

“Great. Actually, now that I think about it, having your own place seems like a great idea. It’ll give you a home to come back to, even after you eventually go back to work.”

Crystal blinked and sagely nodded. “You’re right. Having a place that I can call home does sound nice. I suppose I didn’t think about that.” She looked over at Twilight and even bent down to look Twilight in the eyes. “Would you at all be willing to help me pick one out? I’ve never gone house shopping before...”

Twilight beamed. “I’d be happy to! Maybe we can convince Starlight to tag along.”

“I’d like that.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow and stared back at Crystal. “But, you know, houses are expensive.”

Crystal sighed. “I know… the reality is that I don’t have a bit to my name. I could… extract payment from the realities that I have helped, but… I think you would call that stealing. So, I am… broke.”

“Hmmm, yeah, that sure is a tough one.” She cracked a sly grin. “I suppose that I could pull a few princess strings and get you the real estate. Maybe I’ll even throw in some furniture. I can’t promise you any more than that, though.”

“I do appreciate it immensely, Twilight,” Crystal said with a smile. “Thank you.”

“No problem, I’m happy to help.”

“And would you be willing to be a reference? I’m looking to scope out a quiet job in town while I’m at it; that would make for a nice change of pace, I think.”

Twilight nodded. “Absolutely. Do you have any places in mind?”

“I don’t particularly know. I was thinking the bookstore. Or The Hay Burger, I suppose.”

Twilight’s frown spread down the front of her muzzle. “The Hay Burger? No…”

Crystal shook her head. “I don’t mind slumming it for a while.”

“That’s an image.” She threw her hooves into the air. “Great and powerful defender of the multiverse, carries royal blood in her veins, and is an alicorn… spends her day asking ponies if they want fries with that.”

There was a pause. “…Perhaps I should shoot for something of a higher station? City Hall needs a clerk position filled…”

Twilight nodded. “That seems a little more up your alley.”

Crystal’s muzzle twitched and she hummed in acknowledgment.

The rounded a corner and then started up some stairs.

“I have also been thinking…” Crystal began, “that Sunset Shimmer is in a timeline all by herself. And I won’t be in this one forever, certainly. I wish… there was a way that the five of us could stay in touch.”

Twilight hummed contemplatively as she thought about Sunset as well. It was a long distance in a way. But then she thought about how she had talked to Sunsets before. “Well, you know, there are message journals. Maybe we could do something like that?”

“Message journals. That… actually sounds like a really good idea. I could feasibly set up some message journals for us so that we could write to each other.”

Twilight chuckled. “Huh. Maybe you could set up something like what you did with the Crystal Heart on it, so we could even visit each other whenever we want.”

“Perhaps.” Crystal paused. “It does occur to me that Chrysalis might not necessarily care for it.”

“It’s worth a shot. She came a long way,” Twilight replied. “Who knows?”

They reached the landing and swung into the hall. At that, Crystal said, “You’re right. She is still a friend, after all.”

Twilight nodded. “And Crystal, I’d like to go see more of the multiverse some time. Not now, but sometime. I think I can think of a few places I’d like to see again.”

“Wouldn’t be anything wrong with us going on a few day trips here and there and see what’s around.”

“Of course.”

They reached the bedroom and trotted inside. A little dresser stood to the left with a mirror overhanging it. Crystal instead turned to the large bed to the right, examining the canopy that wrapped around it. She trotted up to it.

And then she turned. “But you know, Twilight, it matters not to me what I do, where I go, or what I have. I think, what is important, is that I’m with friends.”

Twilight smiled even more. “Of course. Get some good sleep. I’ll see you in the morning?”

Crystal nodded and climbed onto the bed without so much as pulling the sheets out. “Yes. I will see you tomorrow morning, and… in mornings to come.”

Twilight smiled and turned toward the door.

“Twilight… before you go…”

“Hmmmm?”

“That book there… Why choose that one?” she asked as she lay her head on the pillow. “I’m curious.”

“Oh, this?” Twilight levitated the book down and looked at the cover; it had a picture of a snail carrying a sword while standing in front of a large clock. “I was… kinda thinking about Flurry Heart when I picked this out. I was thinking about stuff I could get for her. I think she would like this one.”

Crystal smirked. “I can confirm. That one was one of my favorites growing up. It’s a good story.”

“Then I’ll definitely have to send this to her when she’s older.”

Crystal nodded. “I can remember when Auntie would be there… and she’d read stories like that one to me before bed. I think I always feel asleep halfway through.” She sighed. “Ah, those are precious memories.”

Twilight perked up. “Oh? Well then… maybe…”

“I’m a bit too old for it, Twilight.”

Twilight frowned and hung her head.

Crystal stared for a few moments more and then sighed and chuckled softly. “But if that’s what you want to do, then do it. Actually, please?”

A smile returned to Twilight’s face and she met Crystal’s eyes. “Sure. I’d love to,” she said.

She levitated the candlestick and set it on the dresser and trotted to the other side of the bed where a nightstand hosted a lamp, turning it on with her magic as she went. She then took a seat next to the bed and opened the book back to the first page.

Crystal rolled onto her back, closed her eyes, and nestled herself further into the pillow.

Twilight couldn’t help but gaze at Crystal’s peaceful expression for many moments. She couldn’t help but grin. She even felt like her heart would burst at any moment, especially as she saw a contented smile appear on Crystal’s muzzle.

And, she decided, this was happiness.

Twilight smiled, turned her eyes to the page, and began reading. “Once upon a time…”

Author's Note:

And with this, Reflections draws to a close.

I hope you enjoyed this story! You have my sincerest thanks for making it to this point and I hope that it was well, well worth it.

Until next time~

- RQK

If you interested in reading the post-script development blog to story, click this link.