• Published 25th Nov 2016
  • 2,774 Views, 95 Comments

Spike's UnderTale - Animefan608



To prove that he is brave, Spike climbs Mount Ebott alone but accidentally falls into a hole and ends up in the world of monsters. He tries to find his way back to the surface alone while monsters are trying to take his soul. He makes new friends too

  • ...
9
 95
 2,774

Chapter 5: At Goat Mom's House

Green to start music and Red to stop music

Spike slowly opened his eyes, and he found himself staring at the celling. He realized he was in a room, lying in an unfamiliar bed. The walls were painted an unusual shade of orange. He slowly got out of bed, it was then he noticed he had a cast on his arm that seemed to have been rewrapped recently. Spike looked around the room, and noticed it looked like a kid's room. There was a chest in front of his bed full of cool toys to play with. As tempting as they looked, Spike felt he was too mature to play with children toys. At least that is what he kept telling himself, despite the fact he was a kid himself. There were stuffed animals on the left side of his bed, and a dresser on the right side. He saw a drawing of a golden flower taped on the side of the wall, an empty photo frame on a desk, and beside it a box of metal horse shoes.

Spike smelled something in air, something sweet and delicious. He noticed a plate with a slice of pie on the carpet in front of him, just waiting to be eaten. Spike picked it up, and took a whiff of it. Inhaling the smell up into his nostrils. "MMmmmm....." He than grabbed the spoon and started to eat it. "This tastes good."

Once Spike was done eating the delicious pie, he opened the door to the hallway.

Toriel was sitting in her reading chair with her glasses, reading a book called the 72 Uses for Snails while getting warm next to a fireplace.

Toriel noticed Spike peeking his head out from behind the wall, and smiled.

"I see your finally up. After everything that has happened to you yesterday, it was no surprise that you slept for so long. I'm glad you’re alright."

Spike gave her a small smile. "Thank you Toriel, for saving my life.....twice. I am in your debt."

Toriel looked surprised at first, then she began to chuckle.

Spike glanced at her confusion on his face. “What ?"

"Spike my child, you don't have to owe me anything. I saw a child in need so I helped him. It’s only natural." She said as she shrugged her shoulders.

Spike shook his head. "No, I must repay you somehow." Then his expression turned to a sheepish smile as he began to scratch the back of his head. "I know it sounds silly but when some po-.....I mean if someone helps a dragon, the dragon must help that person in return. Its part of the-"

"Dragon code ?" Toriel finished his sentence with small smile.

Spike looked at her with a surprised expression. "Y-you know about the dragon code?"

Toriel nodded. She got up from her chair and walked towards the book shelf. She put the one she was reading before back, and grabbed a new one. She sat back in her chair and got comfortable. Once she opened the book she showed one of the pages to Spike.

Spike gasped as he saw the images on one page were pictures of dragons. "I-It can't be. You have a book on dragons?!”

"Mmm-hmm."

"But how? My friend Twilight is a librarian and she looked all over Equestria for a book on dragons, and she found nothing. She said ponies are just too afraid to even talk to dragons." said Spike.

".....Not for monsters. Would you like to read with me?" She asked.

Spike smiled with excitement "Sure." He than looked around the room for something to sit on. "Where should I sit?"

Unexpectedly Spike was picked up by Toriel, and she placed him so he could sit on her lap and see the book better.

"Comfortable ?" She asked with a warm smile.

Spike felt this was weird. He wanted to get off of her and tell her to stop treating him like he's a little kid, but for some reason, he didn't. He wanted to but he didn't. Because for some reason, he also felt at peace with her.

She than started to read the book. "Dragons, are the oldest, and most terrifying species that have ever lived. They are believe to have been around before ponies have even existed. The oldest dragon could live up to a thousand years. There are many types of dragons in the world, there are the Tatsu Dragons which are the dragons that live in Niepon, the ice dragons that live in the north and than there is the famous Two-Headed Dragons."

Toriel went on and on about the variety of dragons in the world, and Spike listened to every word. Many hours had passed as she read almost half of the book. Spike was still listening to her read, as he looked at the amazing images of dragons on each page. Spike than realized that this was the first story that he had ever sat down and listened to for this long. Normally he would fall asleep when Twilight read to him, but this was different. Not only was this a book he was into, but it was the way she was reading it. When Twilight reads, she always has that narcissistic know it all tone in her voice. But when Toriel reads, she reads it like she is reading a bed time story to a kid.

Toriel glanced at her watch and noticed that two hours had passed. "Ooh my, look at the time. I'm afraid we have to stop for now."

"Aaaw, come on Toriel. Could we read just a little more ?" Spike begged, which made her chuckle again as she smiled at Spike.

"Sorry Spike, but I have to start preparing dinner." said Toriel as she got up and and picked Spike off her lap and set him down on the floor. She than made her way to the kitchen.

"Its dinner time already?" Spike asks. Wondering how she knows how much time has passed. Spike then realized something important.

"Take a seat at the table, your food will be ready any moment." said Toriel as she went to the kitchen.

"Twilight and the rest of the girls are probably looking for me by now. Not to mention all of Ponyville.” said Spike as he then noticed Toriel bringing a plate of food to the table.

"Spike, your food is ready." she said as she set his food on the table. "Come eat."

"Okay I'm comin-"

He then was unexpectedly picked up by Toriel. "Hey, HEY, Put me down. I'm not a little kid!" He was about to yell at her more until he saw something that made his mouth water as he stared at the food in front of him. He was given a plate of gemstones and a cup of juice. All his frustrations were replaced with the overwhelming desire of wanting to eat the delectable gemstones.

Toriel smiled at Spike's expression. "Go ahead Spike, dig in."

He finally snapped out of his hunger induced trance. Spike didn't waste anymore time as he began to eat. "This is great, Twilight never lets me have this many gemstones."

"Hungry aren't you. Well don't worry. There is a lot more where that came." Said Toriel as she finished cooking herself some steak, with some mashed potatoes and some beans.

Spike suddenly stopped eating as he noticed the cooked meat on Toriel's plate.

"Y-you guys eat meat?" asked Spike as he felt a little unsettled. He wasn't too bothered with this though, since he knows there are species who eat meat like the griffons. He had lived with ponies for so long that he was brought up only eat like the other ponies did. He knew eating meat was deeply frowned upon in Equestria, which puts other species like him in a tough position because it’s considered cannibalism to ponies.

Toriel stared at him with a curious expression. "Yes ? You don't eat meat?" Toriel asked as she cleaned herself with a napkin. "I've read dragons are omnivores, so why don't you eat meat my child?"

Spike shook his head. "Its frowned upon to eat meat in Equestria. Trust me, the last thing you want is too eat fish in front of a crowd of ponies." said Spike.

"Oh dear, things must be complicated up there."

Spike shrugged his shoulders. "Nah, not really. I mean, I guess it would be for other species who are new to Equestria." Spike continued to eat the gems on his plate until he noticed Toriel cute a piece of her steak and offer him a taste. "Oh, uh no thank you. Me being raised by ponies, I don't think I could ever get myself to eat-"

"Just one bite." said Toriel. "I guarantee that you'll like it."

Spike thought for a moment. "Well, I think I saw Twilight eat a strip of bacon when we were at Canterlot High. Not to mention it isn't uncommon in the human world." He thought.

When he decided he’d give it a try, he took Toriel's fork from her hand to avoid her trying to feed him. Toriel frowned a little at that, but she didn't want to force him to do something he didn't want to. Spike hesitated at first as slowly tried to force it into his mouth, then finally tasted it.

Spike relaxed a bit as he tasted the new flavor. It was actually surprisingly good. It was nothing like fruit or vegetables, but it tasted good in a way he never experienced. "Wow, this is actually pretty good. Where does this meat come from anyway?"

"I bought it from the market. I believe it comes from a cow." said Toriel.

Suddenly Spike's entire body went pale as snow as he began to regret eating them morsel. He started to have flash backs about Daisy Jo, who is a friend to many ponies in Ponyvile. He remembered all the times Daisy Jo had been nice to him. "......what have I done !"

Later on, Spike spent most of his time in the bathroom sitting on the toilet trying to forget the steak incident. Suddenly he heard a knock on the door.

"Spike......Spike! You've been in there for hours. Please come out. I know you’re upset about the steak but there no need to stay in there. If it will make you feel better I just finish baking some snail pie?"

That didn't make Spike feel any better. In fact he felt like he was gonna hurl but he knew he couldn’t lock himself in the bathroom forever. Spike knew he had to move on from this, so he got off the toilet and opened the door.

"Feel better?" asked Toriel, looking at him with concern.

At first Spike glared at her, but then took a deep breath and sighed as he calmed down. "Its fine. Sorry for making you worry like that." Spike replied with a sheepish smile. "Um.....is there any more steak left ?"

Toriel looked surprised and than started to laugh. Then Spike laughed with her.

A little while later, Spike was helping Toriel clean the dishes. She did the washing while he did the drying. "Thank you for helping me Spike."

"Don't mention it. Normally I do all the cleaning back at home." Said Spike as he finished drying one plate and moved on to the next.
Toriel looked towards Spike's direction a couple of times, as she couldn't help but wonder about the pony he was living with.

"Spike my child. Who did you say you were living with again? Twilight right ?" She asked. Spike nodded confirming his friend's name. "And she takes care of you?"

"Yeah she....." Spike paused for a moment as he remembered all his memories he had with her. Spike frowned at a sudden realization, as he remembered the things he and Twilight were fighting about. Despite how much he loved his friends, a part of him didn't want to go back. Spike was still angry at Twilight and he didn’t know if he could forgive her so easily. But knowing Twilight, she'll probably feel guilty for what she said and apologize for it.

"Naw, She use to take care of me when I first hatched, but that was a long time ago. Now I basically take care of myself. I get the groceries, I wash the dishes, I cook, I clean. I do it all while she's away with her friends on their adventures. She still takes care of me when I get sick, but that's about it."

Toriel looked disgusted. "What?! What kind of foster parent forces a child your age to take care of himself."

"Twilight's not my foster mother. She's just a teenager. She looks after me while I am her assistant for the library." He informed Toriel.

"You may be old enough to start learning responsibility, but that doesn't give a parent or guardian any excuse to start having a child fend for themselves. You’re still too young, and on top of that she lets you do all the work!!"

"Toriel for the last time, I'm not a little kid !" Spiked mumbled as he was getting irritated by the way Toriel was treating him.

"Of course you are Spike. You shouldn't try growing up so fast." Toriel rubbed Spike's forehead. "Because being a child, is supposed to be the best years of your life."

Spike wanted to slap her hand away, but he knew she was just being nice to him; and for some reason a part of him started to like being mothered like this. It was no surprise that Toriel would dislike how he lives with Twilight. Many would think their way of living was a bit odd compared to how most fillies and colts live with their parents. However most ponies don't exactly find it odd when it comes to him and Twilight. because every pony know Twilight isn't his mother or sister. He gets the feeling that many ponies in Ponyville see him as Twilight's pet due to the fact that he's a dragon. He was hoping that wasn't the case, but the more he thought about it, the more it made sense. Not everypony sees him that way, at least the ponies who know him. The majority of dragons who live in Equestria are not well liked. Spike remembered that the Dragons in Fillydelphia were mistreated. He even remembered in the comic books made by ponies, the dragon was always the super villain in the story.

"Well thats the last plate. You wanna go finish reading that book?" Toriel asked as she dried her hands.

Spike smiled and replied with a nod. "Alright lets go."

An hour later, Spike was sitting on the carpet floor listening to Toriel read. Spike than thought of something that made him wonder. "Toriel."

Toriel than stopped reading as she herd the baby dragon call her. "Yes my child ?"

"D-do you mind telling me another story. Like how the monster race ended up underground." He asked.

Toriel was a little taken aback by at Spike's sudden interest but was also confused as well. "Don't you have books in your friend's library that explains our history ?"

Spike scratched the back of his head with another sheepish smile "We do, in fact thats one of Twilight's favorite books. But the book doesn't really go into details like who started the war, most ponies these days believe you guys are just a myth and I Kinda wanna know a monster's side of the story."

Toriel thought for a moment and decided to set the book down and took off her reading glasses and set them to the side. "Okay, long ago before Equestria even existed there were three.....no there were five pony races."

"Wait a minute, I always told there were three pony tribes." said Spike.

"Well in Equestria yes but there originally there are five. The forth pony race are the Sea ponies. The fifth are the...."Toriel paused as Spike waited for an answer. "Uh...never mind. Anyway as the forth and fifth pony races kept to their own lands the other three pony tribes explored other lands. As you must know, back in those days both Earth pony, Unicorn and pegasus were not friends. Not only were they not friends but they were arch enemies. They were constantly at each other throats and they did not trust each other what so ever but there was one problem they both shared and it was us. When the earth ponies came they tempted to take our land for themselves until the monsters scared them away out of their land. Than the pegasus came tempted to do the same thing as they tried to fight us but in the end were no match for us. Than finally the unicorns. A great battle was waged between the unicorns and Monsters and despite how powerful the magic of unicorns were even they were no match against the magic the monsters used against them and so they lost the battle and fled back to their Queen."

"So than what happened ?" asked Spike.

"Many years later, both pony tribes started to befriend each other and united themselves against monsters as they attempted to invade us once more. Now with their new leaders on their side they became stronger than ever. Their new leaders were none other than Princess Celestia and her sister Princess Luna. A war was waged once more as it lasted for years and years. It was the most longest, most bloodiest wars in history. Than finally, the monsters were defeated. Celestia could not get herself to destroy us so she sealed us underground with a powerful magic spell. A spell.....that can not be broken." Toriel exclaimed as she finished telling her story.

Spike was sadden by her story as could not get himself to believe such event happened. "But why ? Equestria was originally your land. Why would Celestia agree to help ponies with such selfish intentions."

"Oh who knows, it was a long time ago." She replied with a smile.

"But still that..." Spike stopped for a while as he thought long and hard about Toriel's story. He couldn't get himself to believe that Celestia was some kind of bad pony. Celestia is the most caring, most selfless pony in Equestria and every pony knows that.

"I wouldn't over think it Spike. After all, perhaps we deserve to be trapped down here." She said with a sad frown.

Spike looked at Toriel with symphony as he didn't like seeing her sad. "You don't deserve it."

Toriel smiled at him. "Many mite disagree with you Spike."

"True, but I don't care at this point." Said Spike with determination showing in his face. "If I learned anything from being down here, is that just because your a monster, doesn't mean your bad. In fact your the most nicest , most beautiful monster I've ever met." Toriel looked at him with a growing smile with her checks glowing red as she was happy to hear Spike say that.

"Thank you Spike. It was very nice to hear you say that." Said Toriel as a tear dripped down her face.

Spike never noticed it as he was distracted by something familiar next to Toriel's chair leaning against the wall.

"Is that a guitar? I rarely see those,” asked Spike as he noticed the old classical guitar leaning against the wall.

Toriel looked at her guitar, and she picked it up and started to fix the strings.

"So do you play Guitar ?" Spike asked.

"Oh yes." She said with a bit of a blush. "But I haven't played in a very long time not since before....."

Toriel paused for what seemed like thirty seconds. Spike could tell something was bothering Toriel, even though he had only known her for a short time. It made him feel concerned for her.

"Toriel?" Spike snapped her out of her train of thought, as Spike looked at her with a worried expression.

"Oh Sorry Spike, I didn't mean to make you worry." Said Toriel as she continue to fix the strings on her guitar. "So they don't have guitars up on the surface?"

Spike scratched the back of his head. "They do, but ponies don't have fingers so its a bit awkward for any of them trying to play a guitar." He said with a fake laugh.

Toriel giggled at that."Indeed." She than tested the guitar to see if it sounded right. "Would you like to hear a song Spike ?"

"Sure." He said while shrugging his shoulders. "What’s the song about if you don't mind me asking ?"

She paused as she looked at him with a smile. "You'll find out." Spike sat on the floor trying to get comfortable in front of Toriel and watched her play.

Toriel Singing:

(There is a video of the song down below at the end of the story. I would play it while reading the lyrics if I were you.)

You are my star
You are my sky
When you are lost
I'll be your guide

When you feel sad
I'll dry your eyes
When you get scared
My arms are wide

My child, my child
Let me lay your weary head to rest
All of my time
Was spent waiting for your call
Your heart was making
Unbelievable sounds
The flowers mended
where you'd fallen down

I was a mother
I was a bride, but
I must admit, eheh
it's been awhile

I'll keep you warm
and safe inside
with butterscotch
& cinnamon pie

My child, my child
Let me lay your weary head to rest
All of my time
Was spent waiting for your call
Your heart was making
Unbelievable sounds
I'm here to catch you
when you've fallen down

You are my star
You are my sky
Before you leave
I'll hold you tight

Your heart was making
Unbelievable sounds
I'm here to catch you
when you've fallen down

Toriel sang her last words as she carried the sleeping dragon in her arms to bed. She gently laid him down on the sheets and tucked him in. "Good night my child." Toriel whispered. When she was done with that she closed the door behind her letting Spike sleep soundly.

Author's Note:

Chapter edited by Glen Gorewood. Song written & made by Griffinilla and Toastwaffle.