• Published 25th Nov 2016
  • 2,800 Views, 95 Comments

Spike's UnderTale - Animefan608



To prove that he is brave, Spike climbs Mount Ebott alone but accidentally falls into a hole and ends up in the world of monsters. He tries to find his way back to the surface alone while monsters are trying to take his soul. He makes new friends too

  • ...
9
 95
 2,800

Chapter 4: Fallen Into The Unknown

Green to start music and Red to stop music

“Spike…….Spike……Spike wake up !”

Spike heard a voice call his name, echoing a bit, as he began to regain consciousness, and slowly rose up from the bed of flowers he landed on. He looked at his surroundings, and noticed he was all alone in this dark place. “Who was calling my name? W-where am I?”

He then looked up and noticed how high he had fallen. There was a small light far above him, and from where he was, not too far from a skyscraper-sized fall. “Whoa, that a long way down. How am I still alive?”

“Now, how do I get out of here?” Spike wondered. He looked around and noticed there were accent structures everywhere. He than noticed a path that lead to another room just in front of him. “Maybe if I go this way. It will lead me out of this mountain.”

The next room was much darker than the last. The baby dragon noticed a light was shining down a path. It was hard to see, but he could have sworn he noticed some stairs that led to another opening. “That must be my way out of here.”

Spike made his way towards the stairs until he heard something pop from the ground behind him. He turned around and saw another yellow flower in the pathway that he just passed. Sitting there all alone. “Was that flower there before ?”
Spike shrugged his shoulder and continued on until...

“Howdy !”

Spike spun around towards the direction the flower was, but when he did. nobody was there. Just a single flower. “W-who’s there ? Who said that ?” He asked. Spike felt a little nervous by this. He felt like he was being watched, but there was still no pony around. Then again it was too dark to see very far off. All he saw was a single flower. “M-my ears must be playing tricks on me.”

He was about to continue on until he herd someone speak to him again. “I wouldn’t go that way if I were you.”

The voice startled him again. He turned towards where the flower was and noticed something was happing to it. The flower now had a face; It had a mouth, eyes, teeth, and they all weren’t there before. “That the heck ?” said Spike who raised an eyebrow. “Who are you ?”

The flower looked at him with a friendly smile. “Howdy, I’m Flowey, Flowey the flower !” It said with a kind and friendly voice.

“Oookaay, I didn’t know flowers could talk.” Spike maybe a baby dragon, but even he knew that this wasn’t natural. Flowers don’t talk, and if they did, he’s pretty sure Daisy, Lily and Rose (three ponies who worked at the florist shop back in Ponyville) would know about it. One word from this flower would send them in a dramatized fall - as per usual.

“No, just me. I’m a special kind flower. Wowy, it's been centuries since I seen a pony from the outside come down here, let alone a dragon.” said the talking flower, who blinked at Spike.

“So ... your saying I’m the first dragon you’ve ever seen ?” asked Spike.

“Yep, I’ve seen Earth ponies, I’ve seen Unicorns, I’ve seen Pegasus's. I even seen a Crystal pony come down here once, but never a dragon,” Friendly flower exclaimed but than realized something. “Your lost arn’t you?”

“Yeah, I climbed up this mountain because I've herd so many rumors about this place. I just wanted see what was here and just leave. Falling down a hole was not a part of the plan.” Spike frowned and he scratch the back of his head in embarrassment.

“That's okay. However you don’t wanna head that way. That way takes you to the ruins of a abandon city where the monsters use to live.”
Spike was surprised at this. “So the stories are true.”

“Yep, all true," Flowey answered. Spike had managed to hear a few stories from Twilight Sparkle's many books time and time again, about where this sort of place where monsters lived. He just shrugged it off as a old mare's tale before, but now he wasn't so sure about that.

"It's still there, even though the old city is abandon there are still some monsters roaming around there. You wouldn’t want them to take your soul do you?” asked Flowey. Spike gulped.

“Golly, not in a million years. So How do I get out of this place?” asked Spike, as he looked around again. It was still too dark to see the rest of the room though, so, wandering around was out of the question.

Then the flower thought for a moment, until he got an idea. “I could show you a special way to get out here.”

Spike sighed in relief on hearing that. “Really? Well that's a relieve. So what is this special way to get out of here ?”

“Come closer and I’ll show you.” Spike then walked closer to Flowey until he was right in front of it, and then waited to see what this special way out was.

“Okay, now what ?” Spike asked. Then unexpectedly, Flowey grabbed him with his thorny vines and lifted him up off his feet until he was thirty feet in the air! Spike began to panic, as he noticed Flowey lifted him very high up, about twenty feet up at most, and started to feel Flowey hurting him as his big thorn began to dig through Spike’s scales. “Hey, Hey, Fowey what are you doing ?! Why are you hurting me ??”

Spike felt his blood poor out where the thorns were digging through. He felt his bones being crushed by Flowey’s un-usual strength. Spike than herd a sinister laugh from Flowey as he noticed Flowey’s evil grin showing. He could see Flowey’s crossed eyes and his sudden sharp teeth show. “F-Flowey ?”

“YOU FOOL !!! DID YOU HONESTLY THINK I WOULD SHOW YOU THE WAY OUT !!! The truth is, THERE IS NO WAY OUT. THATS WRIGHT, NO PONY ESCAPES THIS PLACE. YOUR STUCK HERE FOEVER. Now, DIEEE !!"

"HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!"

Tears began to come of Spike’s eyes. “No, please.” He tried to get out but the crazy flower’s vines were too tuff to escape. “Is this really it ? I never asked for this. All I wanted was to prove to the girls that I was brave. I should have never snuck out. I should have stayed there. Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity……Twilight……I’m so sorry.”

“DIE,DIE,DIE,DIE,DIE,DIE,DIE !!!! HAahahahahahaaaa…..uh ?” Flowey than turned around as he than noticed a fire ball coming right at him. “-AACK !!!”

Flowey was now on fire, burning to death, so he quickly retreated underground letting go of the helpless dragon. Spike than fell to the ground landing on his arm. “AAAAAHH !!!!”

He clutched his arm as he felt it was broken from the fall. He was in too much pain to even noticed someone else was approaching him. He herd the mysterious creature gasp, as Spike felt her arms wrap around him and picked him up and carried him away.

“Oh dear, you poor child. Don’t worry, I’ll patch that arm of yours in no time.” He herd the women say. Spike didn’t get a good look at her, but he knew she had to be very tall compared to a normal pony. He started to feel woozy than suddenly blacked out.

——-

Spike slowly began to open his eyes as he felt the soothing breeze on his scales. He notice he was lying on the ground while there was bonfire in front of him that was like a light in such a dark place. He also noticed he had a big blanket or something over him. When he pushed it off he noticed he had a arm sling on and his wounds were all healed up. This left so many questions like what who saved him ?, What happened to Flowey ? and wha-

Suddenly he heard someone coming so he quickly got up his feet and hid behind a broken pillar. Spike poked his out from the pillar to see who this stranger was and was surprise beyond believe what it was. It was white, tall bipedal monster with horns who was holding a torch to light her way. For a monster she was quiet beautiful, even though she looked a little bit like a gout with visible fangs. She wore a purple rob with white sleeves and some kind of symbol in the center of it.

She noticed that Spike when missing so she looked around with a worried expression. Spike tempted to peak his head once again until he found himself face to face with her. “GAAAAH !!!”

Spike was startled as he fell on his bottom. He than was attempting to crawl towards a another hiding spot until he was stopped by the women soothing voice. “Wait child, there is no need to be afraid of me. I will not harm you.” He than looked towards her as she gave him a warm smile. "Don't push yourself. Even though your wounds are healed, your arm is still broken. Using magic to heal bones is a difficult process. It will take time to heal."

“Are…..are you a m-monster ?” asked Spike, shaking a little.

She giggled at that. “That's what the ponies call us. We generally go by many names but I suppose the name monsters fit us well since we don’t have a specific name. Speaking of which, my name is Toriel. I am a caretaker of the ruins. What's your name child ?”

“My name is Spike. Spike the dragon.” he replied.

“A dragon ? You must be far, far away from home than.”

“What do you mean ?” Asked Spike, eyebrow raised.

“I mean the Dragon Lands is far, far away from here. Your parents must miss you.” said Toriel feeling concerned for the baby dragon.

Spike shook his head. “Oh no, I’m not from the dragon lands. I was born and raised in Canterlot and I live in Ponyvile which is the closest village near the mountain.”

“Ponyvile.” She repeated in surprise.

Spike nodded in response. “Yep, and as for my parents…” Spike than felt his heart sink a little as he frowned in sadness. “I-I….d-don't have any parents”

Toriel couldn’t help but feel sympathy for Spike as she rubbed his head to make him feel better. “It's okay. I know how you feel. Losing a loved one or not knowing what it means to be loved by the people who made you is never an easy feeling. I once had children of my own until…….” She paused for about moment.

“W-what ?” he asked.

“Oh, It's nothing. Forget I said anything.” She then rose up and grabbed her blanket off the floor that Spike was resting on which was actually her cape/hood than wrapped around herself than offered her hand (claws or whatever) to help him. Spike hesitated to grabbed her hand. Toriel is a monster so why was she helping him and not stealing his soul as Twilight read about in her books? Could this be a trick? “Don’t worry child. I know what your thinking and no, I would never steal your soul. All I want is to help you but we must hurry. I still need to finish healing your arm.”

“Maybe she isn’t like the monsters Twilight read in her books.” He thought. Without any more hesitation, he grabbed her hand and she help up to his feet than they soon walked together into the ruins.

There were many traps and puzzles on the path they took. Toriel explained to him that monsters underground are not evil but misunderstood. Some might want to fight him but that doesn’t mean he can’t convince them to stop. “So remember you must try to talk to the monsters instead of fighting them. However, I suppose fighting back in self defense is an option if necessary. but never ever take a life. They might attack you but you must remind yourself that these monsters could have families of their own too.”

“Oh don’t worry, I would’t hurt a fly,” said Spike.Then he thought back about his injuries. “What about that homicide flower that tried to kill me ? D-dose he deserve mercy ?”

Toriel than looked at with a small smile. “It's okay. As long as I’m here, I will make sure he won’t lay another tentacle on you. I’ll make sure no monster in these ruins will hurt you. I promise.”

Spike noticed the kind of look she gave him. A caring, motherly look. He blushed at the fact that she cared for him, as it began to remind him of Twilight when she took care of him in his infancy before he could even talk. “T-thanks but there is no need. I can take care of myself just fine. Really I mean, I’m not a baby-“

“Stop being such a silly child. Even the bravest of dragons need protection. Now come, we're almost halfway there. I have a cinnamon butterscotch pie in the oven waiting for us.” She said, winking at him.

“Cinnamon Butterscotch pie? That does sound yummy. I just hope we don’t run into any monsters on the way. Can’t imagine me fighting another monster like Flowey. I was completely helpless back there. I should've known that flower was up to no good. Yet again how could I have known? I can’t just jump the gun like Rainbow Dash does all the time, but how do I know Toriel isn’t who she says she is. I mean she did save my life which is why I didn’t run from her but what if she saved me just so she could take my should for herself.” Spike thought long and hard about this, but discarded that thought and realized she seems too sweet to do that. Yet again, he shouldn’t let his guard down. After all, if a tiny flower could break his bones, what could this tall creature do to him?!

“So Toriel, can you tell me about yourself?" asked Spike studying her a bit like Twilight would do to anypony she deemed suspicious. Spike might as well at least try to get to know her, so he could know what he's dealing with.

“…..Ooh…..well, I’m afraid there isn’t much to say about me. I’m just a silly old lady who worries too much about others. Especially for ponies who have fallen down here. This place can be very dangerous for them, which is why I live close to where they fall, so that way I could find them and guide them to safety,” Explained Toriel, as she continued holding on to Spike’s hand. Then it was her turn.

“Spike, can I ask you a question?” Spike looked up at her and nodded. “If you had a choice of which single flavor of pie you would want me to make. What would it be? Cinnamon or butterscotch?”

Spike was taken back by this question a little. Although he gave his most honest answer. “Well I do love cinnamon. So I guess I’d go with cinnamon.” Then suddenly Spike noticed her expression changed a little. Her eyes were wider as if she was surprised by something.
“…..What?”

“It's nothing child. I just had a feeling you would say that. I guess a lot of species love cinnamon.” Spike wondered why that was so surprising to her but shrugged it off in the end. “Now keep close, Were about to cross the bridge.”

The next puzzle consisted of an array of sharp spikes laid out across the bridge. Spike looked nervous, but Toriel guided him across as she still held his hand tightly. She knew the patterns of where to walk on. Spike Fallowed her closely as the metal spikes sunk down into the bridge which made them cross it un-harmed. “See, made it across in one piece.”

Spike was surprised by this, for he didn’t think it would be that easy.

A couple of minutes later, Toriel and Spike continued their way through the ruins. Spike noticed some monsters wandering around the ruins. Most of them were just over size frogs with small creatures underneath them, and some rounded creatures with horns and one big eyeball. They didn’t seem to want to bother Spike and Toriel, but Spike wasn’t stupid to let his guard down, not after what happened with Flowey.

Suddenly, the two travelers heard a sort of rumble. “Whats going on?” asked Spike. Toriel noticed the ceiling was about to collapse on top of them! When it came down, she pushed Spike out of the way as the rocks and rumble almost got him. Spike was coughing as the dust irritated his lungs. “Toriel ?” He asked as she vision was being to get clear.

“SPIKE, SPIKE !!! CAN YOU HEAR ME CHILD !? ARE YOU OKAY ??!” Shouted Toriel, who sound extremely worried. Spike couldn’t see her through the rumble but he could hear her voice loud and clear.

“I’m okay, but I’m blocked off from the path!” said Spike, as all he saw a path that headed the opposite direction. “Toriel what do I do ?”

Toriel sigh in relief as she tried to hard to keep herself calm. “Listen Spike, there is way to get to me but your gonna have to do it on your own. Take the path heading the opposite derection and whatever you do fallow the arrows. It will take you longer but it will lead you to the same
direction to my house. I’ll try to meet you halfway.”

“But what about the monsters ?” asked Spike worriedly.

“Just try to avoid them as much as possible.” Spike was nervous. Never before has he did anything dangerous on his own. He may have climbed the mountain on his own but that was only because he didn’t believe the stories were true.

“I-I don’t know if I can-“

“Spike my child, you have to trust me. I promise, I’ll meet you half way.” She said wait for him to respond.

“O-okay, I can do it.” He said, feeling a little determined. “…..I’ll meet you on the other side.”

“Good Spike, Thats what I like to hear. Now go.” So than Spike went the opposite direction searching for arrows on the wall pointing him to where he needed to go.

Five minutes later Spike continued his way through the ruins.“Okay so its this way.” He said as he fallowed another arrow. Suddenly he hid behind he hid behind a rock when he saw more of those giant frogs talking to one another. They were both standing in the way in the path he needed to take. He peeked his head out from behind the rock looking at the monster. Little did he know one of those monster with the big eyeballs was standing wright behind him.

“GYAAAAAAAAH !!!!” Screamed Spike as all the other monsters were now alerted of his presence. Spike than found himself being surrounded by them as they started to get closer and closer. “G-Get back. I-I’m warning you !”

Than suddenly the floor collapsed below his feet and fell into a dark hole. “AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!!!!!”


Spike was slowly regaining conscious as he was begining to open his eyes. He slowly started to back up on his feet as he found himself in the lower part of the temple. He looked up at where he fell and clutch his head in agony from his headach he got from falling on his face. "I really need to watch where I'm going."

"Alright lets see where this gous." He continued to walk down the path the temple was leading him and tried to find any arrows painted on the walls but so far none.

When Spike reached the end of the corridor he noticed a line of metal spikes in his way. "Hhm, how am I gonna get around this ?" He than noticed a platform poking out from the ground. When stepped on it the metal spikes sucked into the ground. "Well that was easy." When Spike walked off the platform the metal spikes than sprung up from the ground almost piercing Spike in the foot. "GYAAAAH !!!"

"That was a bad idea. I should probably find something heavy to put on this." He said as looked around the room until he spotted a rock that was big as him. "....That'l do."

He used all his strength to push his rock to where the platform was. "AAAAAARGH, for crying out load. If only Twilight was here." It almost took him about five minutes to get the rock where he wanted it to be as he finaly got the big rock where he wanted. The metal spikes suck into ground clearing the path for the small dragon allowing him to proceed to the next room.

However before Spike could enter the next room he noticed something flying above him, staring at him. Spike shot his head up and noticed a creature with two drooping antennae, two small wings, and two little arms and legs. Its body shape resembles that of a sad ghost.

"Gyaaaaaaaaaah !!!!!!" screamed Spike.

"AAAAH !!" the creature than burst into tears than flies away from Spike. Spike was breathing heavily as he tried to calm himself from what he saw. "Pull it together Spike. You can do this." He than took a deep breath and continued on.


In the next room Spike notice something white lying on the on ground. "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" It said. Spike wondered what this was and what it was doing as he cocked his eyebrow at this awkward moment.

"Is this thing pretending to sleep ?" thought Spike. He cleared his throat and decided to approach it. "Um excuse me."

Whatever it was flouted up and turned to look at Spike. He manage to get a better look at it. Its was a translucent, white, see through blob with eyes and it resembled a ghost. "Uuh....sorry to bother you but-" Spike than noticed something about this creature. It looked sad.

Spike wasn't sure why he was scared of this thing. It looked harmless. He assumed it was ghost, but this ghost looks like it came from a foul's drawing. "Is this thing what I think it is.....a ghost ? Can't be. Looks too.....I don't know. Twilight was the type of ponies that never believed in ghost so there never any books in her library about them."

"Hi I'm sorry but could you please move ?" He asked. Than Spike noticed the ghost began to cry as acid tears poor'd out from his eyes burning the floor below him. Spike felt guilty as he tried to make the ghost feel better. "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't to offend you or anything. I just need to um.." Spike thought about ways make the ghost feel better until he came up with an idea.

Spike cleared this throat and started telling the sad ghost jokes. "What did the pony say when he or she fell.......Give up ? I've fallen and I can't giddyup!" Spike laughed at his own joke.

The ghost stood there silently. His lips shifted into a small smile and laugh a little. "....heh"

Spike than continued on. He pretended to knock at a door."Knock, knock!"

"Who's there?" asked the ghost.

Spike ansered."Dragon!"

"Dragon who?"

"Dragon your feet again?" Than the ghost laugh a little bit more.

"Hey, let me show you something." Said the ghost as his tears went up his head and formed a fancy top hat. "I call it dapper blook. Do you like it ?"

Spike grew wider in amazement as began to cheer. "Wow, thats pretty cool." The ghost's expression didn't show much but he was flattered by Spike's comment.

"Oh gee. Thanks." said the frowning ghost. "I didn't mean to make you worry about me. I usually come to the ruins because there's nobody around....but today I met somebody nice.......Oh, I'm rambling again." The ghost wanted to not to make things awkward by talk about himself too much. "I'll get out of your way. Oh where are my manners. The names Napstablook by the way."

Spike smiled. "Nice to meet you. My names Spike."

"Hello Spike. Don't usually see meet other monsters here I-.......Sorry I'm rambling again. I'll just get out of your way. Bye." Then Napstablook faded into thin air allowing Spike to continue on his way to find Toriel.

A while later Spike continue walking through the ruins. So far he found no arrows. After he fell into that hole he couldn't find his way again. "Darn it, I'm lost." He clutched his stomach as it growled in hunger. "Boy, am I hungry."

Suddenly the ground below hims shook as something big came up from the surface. It looked like a giant carrot with a creepy face. It approached Spike with a wide smile as the little dragon back himself against the wall in fear. "Gyaaah !!" He was shaking uncontrollably as this thing got closer and closer to him. He shut his eyes close tight with his arms shielding his face hoping the monster would not eat him.

Spike was expecting something to happen......but nothing did. Spike slowly opened his eyes and he saw something un-expected happened. The Monster offered Spike a healthy meal. "Eat your greens !" It said with a cheery voice. A small potato popped from the ground and into the air and Spike manage to catch it as it fell. "Part of a complete breakfast."

His mouth hung opened in shock as this was very awkward for him. Spike was lost for words and didn't know what to say until he finally manage to speak.".........Uh......Thanks."

"Your welcome !" It said and it dived back into the ground throwing dust everywhere as it was digging.

".....Well....that was weird." said Spike as he started to eat the potato. "Wish'd this was cooked though." He shrugged his shoulders and made his way deeper into the ruins.

Five minutes later he manage to find the arrows again as he was starting feel confidence over whelm him as she ran faster and faster making his way towards finding Toriel. Than suddenly fear took him as he saw a big frog monster in his way. The frog approached him agressively making Spike back away from it. "H-hi there, what a nice day it is. Isn't it ?" asked Spike with a fake smile but the frog didn't respond. It looked like it wanted to fight him.

"H-hey, C-can we work this out-" Suddenly the lashed it big tonge out at Spike. It missed by an itch but it made Spike jump in fear. "AAAAAAAHH !!! Leave me alone !!!" He shouted as he ran from the frog monster.

Spike ran a good distance from the beast but it was catching up to him as it jumped closer and closer. Spike made a turn taking the right path and when he got to the end of the corridor he tripped on his own feet and fell. He sprain his ankle and could not move as he saw the frog monster get closer. Spike didn't know what to do. All he did was stare in fear.

Than suddenly out of no where a femiliar tall she-beast got in between him and the frog monster. She spread her arms wide like she was shielding him from the frog. Her hands were engulfed in burning flames as she shot her head into the air and blew a river of flames from her mouth....like a real dragon.

The frog started to jump away in fear if she was a scarier monster than he was. As the frog disappeared into the Horizon Toriel's flames were put out as they fading into smoke. She turned around picked him into her arms. Carrying him and having him rest against her warm body. Toriel could hear Spike grunting in pain from the soreness of his ankle. "Ssshhhhh.....Its okay. Its okay. Just rest my child. You don't have to suffer no more because for now on, I'll protect you."




To be Continued.

Author's Note:

EquestrianKirin I think edited this one.