• Published 20th Aug 2016
  • 2,605 Views, 44 Comments

A Change in Changelings - PonyThunder



After attaining what was seemingly impossible by making a friend, Thorax returns to his hive with feelings of love and hopefulness, but is quickly reminded that his newfound opinions and feelings aren't well-respected in the slightest.

  • ...
2
 44
 2,605

Returning to Old Routines

Alright. By popular request, I am continuing this story. As per usual, I like to include some atmospheric music for those that enjoy it, so here's a link to play while you read.


The next evening, things fell back into routine. Thorax returned to work at the hive, doing what he and hundreds of others did most days: collect and amass items, trinkets, mementos of love so that they could sustain themselves without having to resort to brute force. They stayed away from pony territory, because of their immense power over them, so instead they often flew to more isolated areas, disguising as other species to acquire their necessary nourishment. Despite what many of the others would believe, however, changelings didn't want to conquer and destroy other nations. Of course, Queen Chrysalis wasn't helping that stereotype either, and it was quite apparent to everyone that the only thing that fueled her mind was revenge and hatred. But a powerful mind capable of amassing support and masterfully appealing to the masses' emotions can be dangerously effective.

It was a stark contrast, being back at the hive and no longer with his friends. Thorax had left the Crystal Empire after spending a couple weeks basking in the immense outpouring of love he'd attained from its citizens, but after a time, it became apparent that he would be best suited for returning to his hive. Not because they didn't want him there, although there were a dozen or so ponies in the empire who remained suspiciously silent around him, but because Twilight, Cadence and Shining Armor felt that he could be quite useful in the efforts against the changelings.

Thorax couldn't help but feel conflicted, despite the hatred that had started to smolder for his own species. He felt like a traitor, even though he knew he was on the right side. Upon further thought, he realized, he was a traitor. At least, he would certainly be perceived as one. And that, ultimately, was all that mattered. It didn't matter what he thought, in the minds of his own kind. All that mattered was what the queen decided, and what the queen would decide for him would, with absolute certainty, be death.


"Get your ss-sissy butt over here and help us break open this door," hissed a changeling, directed towards Thorax. There were three of them. Thorax, Poison Fang and Tarsus. On most missions outside the hive, Thorax was with them, but they weren't really his friends so much as fellow minions. The only "friend" a changeling had was the queen, who provided them with the knowledge and means through which to sustain their existence.

"Coming..." Thorax replied as he came up to the door with the others. It was the dead of night in the small village on the outskirts of the equestrian empire, and they were on the hunt. The three of them pushed against the door at once, trying to break it as silently as possible. It broke open with a small crack, and they pushed themselves through. Tarsus and Poison Fang immediately darted in opposite directions, searching for trinkets to steal. The home they had broken into looked like it was a small family of zebras, although it didn't matter much to them.

The other two seemed to have split off on the first floor of the home, so Thorax quietly ascended the stairs. As much as he didn't want to be here, he didn't really have much choice. If he chose not to work, he would be punished and likely questioned, at the very least. Despite his moving experiences in the Crystal Empire, he needed to remain secretive for the time being. His role was not to bring friendship to the changelings. Not yet, at least. Nopony, or changeling, was that deluded by the positivity of friendship. It takes two to create a meaningful bond, and if one is not willing, no good can come from it. Not without some sort of catalyst, at least.

Thorax quietly stepped upwards, creeping into the room at the top. Inside was a small zebra filly, calmly sleeping beneath her polka-dot covers. He looked at her briefly and silently apologized as he searched for an item of affection to take. He carefully made his way to the opposite end of the room and began searching through a pile of toys and other such things, but didn't find anything that felt as if it had been loved a particularly large amount. That was, until he looked back at the filly, and saw that she was clutching a small, cuddly teddy bear.

Thorax sighed and sneaked over to beside the bed. The teddy bear was firmly held between her hooves, pressed up against her tightly. He could feel the love in the air itself, permeating through his nose and into his body, briefly filling every empty void, crack and crevice all at once. He didn't want to take this filly's most precious belonging, but suddenly, a biological urge overcame him. A slithering hiss escaped his throat, his tongue flailing around erratically.

The filly woke up in the few moments that passed, but Thorax was already prepared. She rubbed her eyes and looked up. "Daddy?"

Thinking fast, he had disguised himself as an older, male zebra, and it looks like it had worked. At least, in the dim light of the room where the details wouldn't be easily picked out. "Sshh," he whispered. "Go back to sleep."

Miraculously, she did exactly that. Thorax kept the disguise as he quickly and delicately grabbed the teddy bear and made his way out of the room, down the stairs and out of the house itself where Poison Fang and Tarsus were waiting for him.

"Nice steal," said Poison Fang. "Took you long enough."

"Sorry," Thorax replied. "I almost got caught."

"Yeah, we can tell," said Tarsus. "You're still a zebra."

Thorax immediately transformed into his normal self. "Well, we should be getting back to the hive..."

"No way," said Tarsus. "There weren't any others around that house, except for whatever little filly that thing belongs to."

"So?" Thorax replied. He asked himself what other reason they'd have to go back in there, but then it hit him.

Poison Fang continued. "There's no other ponies in there. That means no chance of getting attacked by anything. Do you have any idea how long we could last off of that little filly's energy?"

Thorax felt a sinking feeling. "Come on, that's too dangerous. Let's just get out of here."

"No," said Tarsus. "We're going back in there, and we're going to suck all the love out of that little filly as we can."

Thorax wasn't sure what to do. Any other changeling would jump at such an opportunity, as was being displayed right in front of him. If he refused, he would blow his cover, and it was becoming apparent that his excuses weren't exactly cutting it. "Alright," he said dejectedly. "One of you can do it. I'll wait here."

"Nah," said Tarsus. "I want you to do it."

What? Why me?

As if he heard his thoughts, Tarsus answered. "Because I said so. You've always been weak. The last thing Chrysalis needs is a weak changeling, and the way I see it, you can either remain weak and be eliminated, or you can get strong and be useful to the hive. Now, what's your decision?" Thorax knew exactly what Tarsus meant beneath those words. He was right. Only the strong survived in the hive, so that they would grow stronger altogether. Tarsus was threatening him with the possibility of disclosing his lack of will for the hive.

Thorax gave the teddy bear to Poison Fang, and Tarsus walked up to Thorax towards the house. "Stay here and keep watch," said Tarsus to Poison Fang. The two made their way into the house and up the stairs towards the little filly's bedroom. Tarsus stood at the doorway and watched as Thorax inched closer towards the bed. He looked down at the filly and watched for a few moments as she slept soundly beneath her polka-dot blanket.

Thorax almost smiled, thinking about the striped zebra with an apparent affinity for polka dots, but the feeling quickly subsided when an abrupt cough and a glare from Tarsus sounded from the doorway. He looked back down at the filly and frowned. There would be no disguise necessary for what he was about to do.