• Published 20th Aug 2016
  • 3,608 Views, 119 Comments

The Mane 6 Talk Politics - CategoricalGrant



Join renowned journalist Breaking Scoop for exclusive interviews with Equestria's greatest Heroes about where they stand in Politics!

  • ...
6
 119
 3,608

Rarity- The (Un)Principled Conservative

I made it to the Carousel Boutique just in time for my appointment with Rarity. She had prepared, it seemed, putting on a lavish dress and setting out tea and a plate of snacks for us.

Pinkie Pie was right: she is a very pretty capitalist swine.

As we sat down and began our interview, I decided to focus on the fact that she owned a business.

“So, Rarity, I want to know about your political views. Let’s start with how you view politics in relation to your job as a businesspony and a designer.”

“Well, darling, first I have to thank you tremendously for thinking of me. I always appreciate the chance to let my views be heard. It’s quite an honor.”

Oh, she was good. A polished and posh pony who knew how to deliver and to play the angle.

“To be honest, all of these taxes and regulations are absolutely destroying my business! I thought it was bad here in Ponyville, but with my new shops in Canterlot and Manehattan, now I truly understand! I’ll be voting for pro-business candidates in the next local election, so I can use the money I no longer lose to expand my business, hire ponies, and just generally allow my creative juices to flow.”

“And what do you think about, say, public parks?”

“Oh, I do so adore them! They are so aesthetically pleasing. We need more green space in town…so many of these buildings are an eyesore. Speaking of parks, have you seen the statue on our town’s fountain? It’s exquisitely crafted!”

“I can’t say that I have. What about some other locally-funded initiatives, like public schools?”

“Oh, I am a huge advocate for public education. The system treated me so very well, and now that my sister is in school I want the system to be the best it can be. I do think the local school here needs more funding; poor Cheerilee is so overworked, teaching all those foals!

I was noticing some contradictions, and raised an eyebrow.

“And funding for the arts?”

“So important, darling! Many a culturally relevant avant garde artist has gotten their start that way. Besides, what would I do on my Wednesday evenings if there wasn’t a free concert or recital downtown?”

“…And you know that all of those things are at least partially funded by taxes on businesses, right?”

Rarity sat back, cocking an eyebrow.

“I just want to pay lower taxes. I’m sure some bright, young, enterprising pony can find out a way to make up the loss elsewhere.”

“But isn’t it unfair to force only other ponies to pay taxes for services that only ponies like you use and appreciate?”

“…Get out of my boutique, darling.”