• Published 18th Aug 2016
  • 10,529 Views, 2,513 Comments

Anchor Foal: A Romantic Cringe Comedy - Estee



Having realized that the duration of Discord's "reform" may exactly equal his only friend's lifespan, the palace sends Fleur to assist Fluttershy with acquiring a social life and guarantee a next generation to adore. (What could possibly go wrong?)

  • ...
36
 2,513
 10,529

PreviousChapters Next
Heartwood

I can't do this any more.


She plummets into the darkness, and it is not what she fears. She knows exactly what lurks at the core of it. Sun's light. The dulled light from one particular voyage of Sun, where the orb was just about fully occluded by dark grey clouds which never quite managed to break. Not in either aspect, not where they dispersed or -- simply shed their load. They never did. Perhaps they carry that weight still, as she carries hers.

After everything which has happened, all which she expects is yet to come... there is only one place for a falling mind to arrive when it crashes into the nightscape. Some small part of her is aware of what's coming, and it is that which screams all the way down.

The darkness ends where the overshadow begins.


I don't know why I'm still


the mindless clacking

it was an accident


WHY


mindless
but
there's a way to
she could...
...if it doesn't work...
she'll know.
One way or the other, she would know.
The filly is thinking, and every thought is pain.


Who is this even for now? Why am I still writing in a journal which nopony will ever read? Tonight guaranteed that. I know who I wanted to see the words. The little stories about what it's like to be in a settled zone that's just getting started.

Maybe they would have thought running a mill was boring. Tell us something else. Anything else.

Now I can.

I came straight to this journal, when I finally got back home. I kept starting and stopping, over and over. Wasting paper. But I'm writing now, and maybe I understand why. Even when I feel like I don't understand anything else. It's a habit. Something happens in my life, I go to the journal. Some habits are hard to break.

The writing is quieter than screaming. Or it's a different kind of screaming.

It's over.

Everything.

I need to get this out of my head.

I'll never

I thought I was going to surprise her. I did.

I told the journal about the trips she's made into Canterlot. So many of them. Overnight stays, because who wants to try taking the road when it's that deep under Moon?

There was this little note in the bedroom. It got tangled up in some of her clothes. I saw it because I try to do the laundry sometimes. I got used to doing my own when I was single, and then I had to do it again when I got here. Sometimes you need to wear clothing to protect yourself from the wood shavings. It doesn't all get ground down to the finest powder. There's little spikes, and you don't want them working into your fur until they find the skin. Some slivers are too hard to find in the blood. You might never get them all out.

So there's laundry. And I washed some of hers, because it was something I could do when I was home. At least it made her clothing smell like a different kind of soap.

The note was directions to a restaurant in Canterlot, and a time. I guessed she'd made a reservation and she hadn't eaten there before, so she had to write down the way to reach it.

I've been trying to spend more hours with her. But she's in the capital. Whenever she can be. And she doesn't like the food around here. I guessed I could see her point there, at least for the local restaurants. The town isn't far enough along to have much more than slam food: you slam it into your mouth, it crashes into your stomach, and then you go pound out six more hours of work. But she wouldn't even go to the cookout at Mrs. Smith's with me.

I thought I'd surprise her. Just show up at the restaurant after she did. Tell the reservation gate that my spouse is over there and if they're a decent sort of pony, they'll push up an extra bench. We'd have a nice meal together, like we did when we were dating. See what came after.

It wasn't easy. The following part. There isn't enough work right now to keep me from freeing up the time.

I got on the road about half an hour after she did, because I never wanted to get in range where she could look back and see me. Keep the gap constant between us. And I had to slow down over and over, because I got a lot of exercise in the last couple of years and I'm faster than I used to be.

Faster on hoof.

I don't think fast enough, when it isn't about wood. I don't think of the right things.

I got to the restaurant. Stopped at the gate, because it's the capital and I didn't have a reservation. Couldn't see that much of the inside. Just lots of lights and glitter and some fish swimming inside a middle hollow glass layer which got put in the walls because that's new. Going around and around, over and over. Swimming forever and getting nowhere.

I told the pony that my spouse was already in there and I just wanted to catch up.

He just looked at me. I wonder how many ponies got that look. It must have been a lot, to make it feel like he was so tired and sad.

He told that when she turned up, the stallion who was already at the table came out to meet her. And the first thing I thought was that she's got friends in the capital. Ponies she goes back to see. It's not that much of a surprise, that she'd be eating with one.

I said that. Maybe I said it a little too loud.

So he told me how they said hello to each other. There's a nuzzle for friends.

That wasn't it.

This is my fau

He took me aside. Had to prod me a little, because I wasn't moving. I couldn't feel where my legs were. He said he could take me to where I could sort of look through the glass and fish at their table. But he didn't want me to go inside. It isn't good for the restaurant if there's a fight. So after he showed me, he could give me a place to wait. Where nopony could see me. And then he'd pull a cord which rang a little bell in the waiting room when they left. I could try to catch them outside after that, if I wanted to. Or I could go home.

He got me to the right place. I didn't know the stallion. Looked taller than me, and heavier. I couldn't make out much more than that on him. It was hard to really see past the regal tangs. But I could see her. She was laughing.

She was so happy.

Then I was in the room. I can't really remember how I got there. There was a plush bench, and some fabric hanging from a brace bar on the wall. You're supposed to wipe your face on that. And there was a table with calling cards on it. Addresses of ponies you're supposed to talk to after. I found the bell fast.

How much does this happen, that they've got a room with a bell?

Somepony brought me in some soup. Free. I guess it was good. It wasn't bad enough to bring it back up again.

The bell rang.

I'd been thinking about whether I wanted to talk in the street or at the house.

About how long they'd been

It was too late to keep them from slee

It was the street.

Just came out of the side alley exit and they were making the turn out of the door. She was just looking the right way. And as soon as she saw me, she started screaming, right there. The stallion ran and she kept screaming at me. Ponies were stopping to look.

She said I shouldn't have been following her. I didn't have any trust, so that was part of why this had happened. I was trying to tell her that I just wanted to catch up with her. I've been trying to catch up for moons.

Then she told me it wasn't cheating because I'd already left her. That's why it was all my fault.

I think a lot of ponies stopped when she said that. I couldn't see much besides her. But it was like there was pressure from all of the eyes on my fur. It's like being trapped in a dense shadow.

She said I left her when I went to Ponyville. I was gone for a long time. I left her behind. There was all that time when I wasn't there, and I could have come back to check on her more often. I could have not gone at all. And that's why it's my fault, because she was alone the whole time and my letters weren't enough. She wanted another body in the bed, and if it wasn't me because I wouldn't have gone there if I cared about her at all, it had to be somepony else. It couldn't be me any more. I'd left her first.

Then she nipped a saddlebag open and head-tossed something at my forehooves.

I looked down. I looked up again.

She was gone.

It's my


It took a few seconds before she fully realized that she was coming back to herself, and it was time which was filled with a lesser kind of pain. Awareness of her own body seemed to return in stages, each limb and joint requiring an individual check-in. Some of them took more time to report their status than others. There was a lot to complain about. And her head felt strangely heavy, but she knew what that was.

I hear... air moving. In a tight space. Swirling.
It sounds like...

If there was any consolation, it came from having escaped the dreams for a time. But they lurked, waiting for her to weaken...

She kept her eyes closed for a little longer. The former escort knew she had been imprisoned: multiple senses were telling her just about nothing else, although the entire tactile array seemed to be a little too obsessed with the injuries. But there were ways in which waking up in the cell struck Fleur as something of a disappointment, and the first came from having woken up.

Border backlash, was the first truly coherent thought, and the oversaturation of emotion quickly found it dripping frustration. Hit while I was going down from the double corona, into the single. And that was instinct.

Her right foreleg kicked out a little, aimed at nothing in particular. It didn't accomplish much, although it verified that the leg was capable of aching movement: a short burst of pain then punished her for stopping. The cool weight of the circlet failed to shift.

She was supposed to be more than her instincts. Yes, if somepony was closing in on you, about to make sharp, hard contact with a lit horn, then the normal move was to drop your field, as fast as you could. And since simply winking out from anything more intense than a full single layer could have its own consequences, that was usually a drop. Shedding effort, cutting off the flow of power at a rate where the abrupt narrowing of the channel didn't create any damage.

Hit on the border. A Stage One backlash from a single-layered corona would usually produce some minor injuries: Stage Two, requiring the double, would make the pain go deeper. A strong Stage Two had the chance to tear muscles and sunder bone. From what Fleur could tell about her body, the damage hadn't gone that far. She was hurt, but it was on a level which had allowed her to be dumped into a cell.

But if she'd been thinking...

...if she'd been thinking, she would have opened the floodgates. Committed every resource, calorie, and thaum she possessed. Surged to the triple corona in an instant, something which would have put the core of her horn's glow at a hot blazing white. Her entire body would have reprioritized for a single effort: no matter what happens, keep casting until you either succeed or collapse. And then not only would she have had her best chance to finish it, but the police chief got to take custody of an interesting dilemma. Because when you induced backlash on a unicorn whose corona was partial, during the most minor workings or everyday manipulation, the effect simply stopped. Stages One and Two would hurt.

Backlashing Fleur at Stage Three would have killed her. Instantly. Spectacularly.

The possibility of doing that might have held the other mare back for just long enough. And if it hadn't... well, not only might the increased use of power have gotten it done, but Fleur wouldn't have had to deal with the consequences of waking up in a cell. A corpse didn't have to worry about what was coming next.

Then again, neither did Fleur. She wasn't going to rest among the debris of her shattered life and try to find a way forward for the third time, because that action was pointless. You couldn't do anything about a future which was fixed.

I don't even know if I managed to --

-- well, that would be settled soon enough: the police chief would be good for that much. But if she hadn't...

...nothing.
I did it for nothing --
-- I had to try.
I had to --

The world's last, falsely-best joke on her. For all Fleur knew, she'd done little more than clear up all of his chiropractic issues in one go.

It wasn't a thought she wanted to have in the dark, and Fleur opened her eyes.

The cell didn't impress her. It was dull grey stone, except for where it was dull brown. The front was composed of thick iron bars: they started about a body length in front of her current position, went up into the ceiling, and mostly served to distinguish the cell from the portion of unreachable freedom known as 'the hallway'. There was another, unoccupied cell on the opposite side of the aisle, and she managed to turn her pained neck just enough to make out some of the rest.

(There was an odd delay to her body's response time, as if she was issuing the orders from a great distance.)

Nopony appeared to be providing her with mandatory company for the night -- if Moon was even still up. There were no windows anywhere, because that could help to defeat the purpose. A certain weight to the air suggested that she was underground.

There was a drinking fountain mounted to one wall, and a little more turning let her find the toilet trench. Both were clean enough, as was the thin mattress which had been partially embedded into the floor. That was where she had been placed, belly and barrel flat against minimal support, and she irritably noted the lack of blanket, added that to the faint chill --

-- no, there was a grey blanket: it was in a heap near the right edge of the cell. A mattress, not a nest, and so she'd kicked it off. But there was no clock, and that was probably seen as another part of the punishment.

Her forelegs were outstretched before her. It let her examine the bandages -- no, elastic wraps. Supporting strained muscles. She'd pulled something or, given the sensations from the rest of her body, pulled everything. But there were no bloodstains seeping through the wrappings, although part of the edges had become discolored from compressed powders. Other sections were pristine, because any physician would have cleaned the directly-treated areas and so a great deal of her cosmetics were gone.

And her head was heavy. That was the part she fully understood, because she was a unicorn in a jail cell and no matter how many enchantments might have been on the prison itself, you couldn't give the incarcerated a chance at breaking them. So her horn would be covered with a perfectly-interlocking jigsaw cone of thick metal: something which had probably been assembled on the spot from available parts because hers was a non-standard length and they might not have had her size in stock. There would be reinforcements at the seams, there would be some embedded jewels of a much different quality from those used by the bitch, and the customized restraint would completely block any attempt she made to use her field.

She distantly wondered if the jewels complemented her natural hues.

But her limbs weren't chained down. That usually would have been for an earth pony, and a pegasus would have been immobilized: no movement, no magic. With a unicorn, restraining the horn was often considered sufficient.

It took a moment before she spotted the small holes in the left wall, and Fleur needed the renewed audio cue to locate them at all. Identification, however, was instant.

Speaking tubes. Or rather, that was the term which law enforcement preferred to use: sit in an office, talk to whoever was in the cell. They were also good for eavesdropping, and she was convinced that was their central use. But Fleur wasn't particularly impressed by this set. They seemed to have been improperly cut, because she could hear air swirling within the system. Twisting, with the flow warping against the sides. And at some point, the miniature passageway had probably come right up against, and partially into, the plumbing. The audible results resembled short, heaving gasps of breath, added to the occasional suggestion of falling droplets.

There was no mirror.

They cleaned some of the makeup off my body.
My face. Did they --

...it didn't matter. Prisoners were presumably offered the standard joke sheet of rights: food, water, air. There probably wasn't any legislated duress-based access to cosmetics.

don't look at

Not that there was anyone to look. None whose opinion she cared about.

She was hurting: if she'd been given anything for pain, it had worn off. But it also felt like the injuries were almost a part of somepony else. As if she was lightly tethered to her own body.

There was nothing she could do except wait. Let the vacant minutes flow across her, on the first day when time would cease to have all meaning. Time existed as a medium in which to work, the space occupied by truly existing in the world, and... she could do neither. Seconds were simply the slow drip of water against the stone of her contained life, wearing it away.

Her looks would go first, of course. No maintenance of the fur. Very little access to Sun. No... reason to be attractive, in an environment where that only drew attention. But perhaps the short remaining period of attractiveness would aid her. Draw in the right pony, then another, and another, and... was it possible to dominate a prison?

...no. They would use her. And given enough time, they would use her up.

Wait for the useless mare to question her, so she could get the one piece of information she wanted. Wait for the trial. A shorter wait for sentencing, and then a variable one for death.

Fleur, with nothing left to do, all true time expired and the falsehood stretching out until she did the same, began to wait.


I've been carrying the packet with me. The one she flung at my hooves that night. It's been rubbing around inside my saddlebags for a while. That's taking part of the print off. But I can still read what it says. The same thing it always does.

It says Foal Prevention Herb-Blend Tea. Goes around the wrapper twice.

I'd told her it was time. We'd wanted a family, and that takes money. The money is why I went to Ponyville. The opportunity. But the money's been bitten into so many times that the tooth marks are just about all that's left. And she's gone.

She still hasn't come back. Sent somepony else to pick up her things. Turned out she thought her things meant just about everything. The lawyer she had give me the note didn't have the strength to haul the house, but if he'd been an earth pony, he might have given it a go.

I get to keep the packet. She probably forgot to have anypony write that down.

It took a while before I really started thinking about all of the stuff I should have before that. She must have been drinking this stuff for moons. Started fuc being with somepony else while I was in Ponyville without her, and it wasn't like she could just turn up pregnant. And once we were in the same house again, she kept drinking it because she didn't want to have a foal with me any more.

That was our dream. But then it was just mine, and she didn't tell me.

Why did she even come to Ponyville, when I said it was finally safe for her? Why didn't she just leave then?

I asked Balance to look at the bank account again. Her spending. She was using more bits than I'd thought, but most of that was just Canterlot. He didn't think it looked like she was trying to skim off me. So she wasn't staying for that. Maybe she was afraid to make the final break. Or she was waiting to get caught, so she could blame me and then leave.

It's my

Balance knows about what happened. Sometimes it feels like just about everypony knows. I had to tell a few, and her lawyer makes a lot of noise. Enough ponies sure heard him when he came up to the mill and tried to claim that too.

I talked to Balance about it. He says it could go a couple of ways. The legal code is a little weird there. As long as the mill is an active business, it's more of an asset. Legally, it gets treated as a family enterprise something we sort of share. But if the mill shut down, then it might just be something I had built. She wasn't any part of that.

Mill keeps running and she could try to take something from it, or get the whole thing. Everything goes dark and the shadows belong to me.

It's barely running now.

Brass keeps coming by. He wants to make sure I'm eating. Then he says he wants me to eat more. I haven't been able to make it inside a restaurant without getting sick. I'm starting to hate bells.

He asked me to move in with him. He'll keep an eye on me from close up. Shouldn't be in an empty house all by myself. A few of them asked me that. Mrs. Smith said that if it comes down to a bottom line, she's still got a barn and most of the old smell cleared out by now. And I think a few of them are trying to kick work at me, because the mill keeps getting orders for small things. I recognize the names, and I can spot when the problem is so minor that you don't need a mark to solve it: you need hoof-hammer shoes and maybe up to five minutes if the first nail placements are bad.

I see that about once a week because I'm barely at the mill now.

Brass said everypony keeps waiting for me to show up at a worksite. Do what I'm best at. He thinks that once I'm in the core of my mark again, I'll start feeling better. But the crew can go without me. What's left of them.

The core of my mark. The heart. My mark is for the mill and construction, but it's also about wood. So that's heartwood. A core of heartwood, somewhere in me.

Heartwood's pretty. The color's always a little different. It can have a nice smell, depending on the tree. It's denser, more resistant. And the tree grows around it, surrounding the core with the more normal wood. It has to.

Because what most ponies don't think about is that heartwood's dead.


The speaking tubes kept making strange sounds. False half-gasps, droplets falling, and -- little gulps, like air half-catching at the back of a throat. It didn't give Fleur much she could really listen to, especially since every attempt found her nearly convincing herself that the noises were something else.

Nothing to do. No work. No plans. Just... waiting.

At one point, she found herself wondering exactly how specific the circlet's beacon was. How much detail went into each notification? Was the true baseline 'She's in Ponyville'? Was it capable of working down to 'She's in the bathroom' or in this case, 'She's in a cell'?

Perhaps it kept track not just of her body's position, but the positions her body was in. 'She's probably masturbating.'

Bucking Joyous.

And even that thought seemed detached --

-- a door opened, at the far end of the corridor. A quartet of hooves cleared the new gap. The entrance was carefully closed, resealed, and then the approach began. But the words reached Fleur before the mare did, and she knew they had been meant to slice. They were cold, the edges had been sharpened, and once they found her ears, they simply fell away to impact equally uncaring stone.

"I'm taking the 'soul' part back."

Miranda Rights slowly came into sight. Turned to face Fleur directly, staring down at the unicorn who'd gone back to the thin mattress.

"Anything to say?" the police chief asked.

Calmly, with what felt like an odd touch of internal echo, "What are we talking about?"

The lack of true answer was expressed as "Can you stand up?"

You heard me use the drinking fountain. Getting up had hurt, but it had been manageable. She just didn't feel like hurting on the mare's cue, and so Fleur shrugged. Even that ached.

The dark mare slowly bent her legs in turn. Resting on the cold hallway floor. The illusion of equality or in this case, the delusion.

"It's a good thing ponies saw you leave," Miranda softly told her. "You made sure of that. It shocked them. And three of them found me, at the same time. They were asking me to --" Grey-green eyes briefly closed, and the mare took a slow breath. "-- never mind that."

I knew you were there. I thought I saw you a few times, outside. The deeper patch of darkness within the lighter shadows.

But she hadn't truly thought about it. Not at the end. She'd been aware that the mare was present, and she'd... displaced it.

"Let's just say," Miranda evenly continued, "they wanted to know what was happening. And I'm not exactly bad at staying out of sight on a dark night."

I had my talent shut down...

"I'm even better at breaking up fights," the officer added. "But... if I got the two of you physically apart, it might not have disrupted the spell. I didn't know what your range was, not with an unknown working. And with the way you were concentrating... you might have maintained the casting. So it had to be backlash. But trying to sneak around on top of all that stone..."

She slowly shook her head.

"Let's just say the party broke up after that," the dark mare finished. "Since I'm in the mood for drastic understatements, we'll go with that one. The party broke up. In a lot of different directions. Just about nopony who was there knows what happened behind the cottage, and I'm trying to keep it that way until I get more information. But enough of them saw you carried out --"

"What about Fluttershy?"

The dark mare's eyes briefly widened, quickly narrowed. The speaking tubes backfilled with a gulp of air.

"I don't think you get to ask for details on that yet," Miranda softly stated. "Let's just say she's certainly aware that something happened. Maybe I'll expand on that particular subject later. If you cooperate."

And we begin.

It was a strangely calm thought.

"Do you want an attorney?" Miranda asked. Waited, as the dark fur rustled in the light underground current.

Fleur shook her head.

"Are you planning to represent yourself?"

That was just barely worth a shrug.

The litany reached "Will you answer questions?"

Immediately, "Will you?"

It triggered an exceptionally sharp inhale. Fleur decided to treat it as first blood.

"I held off on contacting the palace for as long as I could," the police chief finally redirected the oxygen. "I wanted to have a clearer picture before I sent them anything. But you were out cold for hours." With a small twitch of the short-cut tail, "Still night. But we're not that far away from Sun-raising. I waited, and I finally sent for a postal courier. Just to give them the basics, with an express packet. That was about an hour ago. But I went outside for a minute before I came down here, and I spotted her flapping around. Half-loops, looking confused. But her courier pouch was empty, and I know she can't get to Canterlot and back in that little time. But maybe she transferred it to somepony faster." With what Fleur was certain had been a faked sigh, "Or maybe it shouldn't have been her."

Of course you'd attack the messenger.

"But I haven't received any reply," Miranda continued. "Those can be -- extremely quick." Another twitch. "I may try another method later, or go for a courier again. I'm just a little reluctant to involve the library right now. Not before I have facts."

Fleur darkly reflected on the intelligence of a mare who needed to look up the postal code for Canterlot.

"So for now, let's pretend it's just you and me," the dark mare said. "Let's talk --"

Take control.

"-- is he dead?"

Almost toneless. A simple question, and Miranda stared at her.

"I suppose that gives me intent," the police chief finally countered.

"Which saves you the trouble," Fleur calmly stated, "of inventing it. I'm allowed to know what kind of charges are being brought against me. Assault would be the minimum. I want to know how far up we're going, and the top is attached to a corpse." She painfully shifted forward, just enough to put a little of her torso off the mattress. Inclined her head to the right, and felt the restraint's dragging weight. "Is he dead?"

Another, much slower breath. It was possible to watch individual strands of the blended fur as they shifted positions. No cosmetics at all.

"Not for your lack of trying."

no
I didn't even manage to
he'll
I have to

"I had him moved to Canterlot. Intensive care. He's stable." She was watching Fleur's eyes. "But there's extensive damage. Cracked hooves, broken teeth, multiple fractures. It'll take him moons to recover just from that, and he may need surgery. The bone-glow screen suggested some of the muscles had lost their attachment points and you're smiling." The mare's forelegs compulsively pushed out, nearly kicked the bars. "Do you even know you're smiling, Fleur? What kind of smile is that, with the lips pulled back to let me see just about all of your teeth, your perfect teeth after you cost him half of his?"

I hurt him.
Good.
But if he makes a recovery --

"Why, Fleur?" A projected hiss, as the police chief's forehooves planted and pushed. Got her half-upright: hind legs still folded, staring down. "You'll have to make one Tartarus of a case on self-defense. Normally, even with you, I might somehow still believe somepony's interest had gone too far and you were fighting them off. After a lot of talking on your part, and a lot more witnesses than you had because the primary one is me. I got close enough to hear most of it, and then I got to see it. Because you made sure ponies saw you go, leading him out, and they asked me to go see what was going on. You made your intentions very clear, so clear that about a fifth of the room was still half-swooned when I left --"

"-- only a fifth?" Fleur irritably pushed out half a puff of breath. "I knew I was out of practice --"

"-- and that means everypony there knows he didn't initiate. You did." A hind leg kicked out. "I'm not sure it's possible to have a definition of 'too far' after you basically gave him permission to mount you in the middle of Fluttershy's sitting room! And I saw you attack. While the two of you were physically separated, while he was actively trying to turn you down! Is that what happens when somepony rejects you, Fleur? You can't take anything approaching a no because they're turning down perfection, so they have to die? Would he have been your first kill, or is there a trail of bodies stretching across the horizon? Can we save some time here --"

Why? Because you still have yours?

"-- and just give me the count? How many times have you --"

"-- are we counting animals?" She added a little gesture of the left foreleg to that one: pushing part of the concept away. "Because if we are, then Fluttershy's ahead of me. But we had a wounded groundhog at the cottage --"

"-- what was that spell?"

Basic tactic. Change the topic quickly, try to catch me off guard. Believing I'll just speak without thinking about it.

"-- my personal trick." She managed a shrug. "Did you expect anything different?"

"According to Fluttershy," Miranda softly countered, "your trick is a massage spell."

I knew you would have questioned her.
How much 'I never knew' did you get? Or '...I never knew...'
How much does she hate --

"Which works by precision vibration," Fleur shot back. "And if you can set up vibrations, then you can set up more vibrations. You just have to think about it. Most ponies just never explore what they can really --"

"You took a trick which exists for comfort and healing." It was almost a whisper. "And you found a way to kill with it. Or maybe it was the other way around. Either way, I'll hardly fault your creativity, especially after seeing the results -- stop smiling!" Fully standing now, and the short-cut tail whipped at the air. "What's the excuse, Fleur? You seized a stallion, an innocent stallion whose only crime was not pushing you away in front of a crowd, and you were trying to kill him: I think you've made that fully clear. WHY --"

"-- he's a pedophile."

Even words. Toneless. They came with nothing more than a simple look at the dark mare's face, and so she got to see words evaporate in the unicorn's throat.

The tail stopped moving. Slowly, all four legs bent again. Descending into the cold.

"...what?" Miranda pushed out. "...what did you --"

"-- oh, I'm sorry," Fleur calmly lied. "Is there a better term? Fillyfooler: that has some traction, doesn't it? Foal-fiddler? Is there a word you'd prefer me to use here? One which somehow makes it socially acceptable, where it sounds so cute that you can almost overlook the fact that we're using it to describe somepony who rapes children?"

It was a whisper now, so low as to make the ears of a mare who'd learned to set herself for Base Fluttershy strain forward. "And you just know that."

She nodded. The restraint fought her on the upslope.

"How -- how can you --"

Almost politely, "I thought you were briefed."

(She had to stay calm. She had to keep control. But they were talking about --)

"The palace told me what you are," Miranda finally said. "But --"

Fleur's eyes closed.

(She hadn't told them to --)
(Maybe she was just trying to look inside herself.)
(Searching for words.)

Softly, "You... said something to me. The first day. I don't think I can quote it exactly. But it was something like that being so close to me, knowing what I was... made you really want to do your job. Which, in this context, presumably means arrest. Close enough?"

She felt the nod. The little shift of displaced air ruffling across her fur.

"I want you to imagine something," she quietly requested. "It's going to be hard, especially with your profession. But... imagine you were me. You were told about me. You have to be told on just about everything, I think. The way I'm trying to tell you now. Imagine you were me, and you just -- knew."

Her tail was swaying. A little to the left, then the right. A twitch accompanying each pause.

"Think about that, Miranda. Imagine that you always knew. And if you always knew... then how could you exist unless you did something?"

She managed to get her eyes open, and found nothing more to compensate her for the effort than a view of a jaw which badly needed a little subtle shading.

"He's a pedophile." Not quite a statement of fact.

Fleur nodded. "Active. Not recently. My best estimate is that his last rape was about five moons ago. There's some fading of satisfaction there, because the memory isn't enough any more. Or the trophy, because he may be keeping a few. But there was also a rising aspect of frustration: he couldn't wait much longer. He couldn't keep the urges down, and he wasn't even trying. He's been on the hunt --"

"Your talent," came the now-hollow voice, "is that specific. I'm having more than a little trouble believing this, Fleur. You could have attacked him for any reason, and now you're just giving me the one excuse which you think is going to work --"

"-- once you're fully comfortable with a partner, you like to do it in the dark."

The too-square jaw dropped.

"Turn everything mysterious. Like the very night is pleasuring them. But you haven't had sex in -- nearly two years?" That was worth a slight incline of her head. "I admit to guessing a little there: different sex drives can have the glow of satisfaction fade at equally different rates. The five moons on him is an estimate. But for you, two years sounds about right. I can see active interests, Miranda. I can pick up on faded ones, and I know which are being repressed." Bucking Joyous. "Or even fought against. But satisfaction is easy. A falling urge, a rising one. It all comes together one way or another. And a restraint doesn't stop my talent." Curiously, "When you were younger, did you ever wind up at a party with Caramel? In a closet? Because if you did, you left an impression. I'm guessing on an eyelid --"

Miranda took a breath.

"Pedophile."

She still doesn't fully believe --

"YES."

"How long had you known?" The volume was increasing. "Because if you always know --"

Fleur's eyes closed again.

"Just a few minutes."

It was possible to hear the blink.

"Explain," the dark mare demanded. "Because there's a contradiction there. If you're making this your lie, Fleur, your excuse, then you'd better make a detailed one."

She won't do anything. Of course she won't. She's already decided --

Far too softly, "Why should I keep talking to somepony who thinks I'm lying? Who's already made the choice to not believe me?"

"Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to hear this," Miranda stated. "Tell me, Fleur. All of it."

First her. Then the judge. Celestia will get involved at some point.
And none of it will matter.

Her eyes remained closed, so that she could only see what had been.

"I only used my talent on Fluttershy once," Fleur softly began. "I'm -- I was supposed to be finding a match for her. I needed to know what she wanted. And after that, I -- kept my talent shut down when I was around her. Constantly, if she was close by."

Immediately, "Why?"

"That should be private."

A little water dripped from the fountain's spray nozzle.

"Fleur, if you want me to believe any of this --" and then the horror flowed in "-- if you're hiding something --"

"-- Fluttershy -- doesn't have anything in her which you need to worry about," the former escort quietly stated. "She doesn't have anything. She's never let herself want. Never desired. Never fantasized. Because she didn't think there would ever be any response that wasn't rejection. I interpret what I sense as puzzles, officer: all of the little fractured pieces which come because when desires and wants build up over a lifetime -- they create fracture. You can hardly ever match everything you want in a partner, can you? So you assemble as much as possible. I solve the whole thing, and there's always some disjointing to the image. Like pieces from a dozen boxes were mixed. And with Fluttershy... it's whole. Because there's nothing there. A. Blank. White. Slate."

Air twisted in the speaking tubes, seemed to half-whistle a false gasp. It almost obscured the sound of Miranda's jaw dropping again.

"...I'm... not exactly happy about telling you that," Fleur admitted. "I'm hoping you'll at least do her the dignity of keeping it to yourself." And you won't. "But it's discomforting. And when you kick in all the animals around the cottage, and the fact that Discord could potentially drop by at any moment..." That was worth a false, dark laugh. "I don't want to know. I'm not sure anypony does. So I kept my talent shut down around her. And whenever I saw him --"

"-- Mister Sweet," Miranda said, probably just to have had something to say.

Fleur snorted. "Pony names." The words were closer to being spat. "Mister Sweet. Sweetbark. Sweetie Belle. I could almost believe there's a pattern. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that isn't his real name. It may fit a candy seller, but he's targeted Sweetie for a while. If he told himself that a similar name would create a connection --"

"-- get back to it, Fleur," emerged with edges. Not quite sharp enough to cut the iron bars: more than enough to rasp fur. "I'm not convinced yet."

"Fine. Other than last night, whenever I saw him, Fluttershy was nearby. I couldn't sense his puzzle. But when I think about it..."

She slowly shook her head. Briefly longed for the jointing which would have allowed her to kick herself, briefly considered that the lyre-player could manage it, and realized the court would manage that part anyway.

"...it was right there, Miranda: right there. From the very start. All of the clues, everything I should have seen --"

"-- such as?"

I was just dumped into her backyard...

"The first one was before I saw him -- but it's only obvious in retrospect. I spotted where the new candy shop would be going in. What's Ponyville's population, Miranda? I feel like the number might be high enough to support two shops. But he went directly across from the old one. That's predatory. And it lets him watch the children going in and out of theirs. Every day, while he's getting ready, in a shop where all the colors are too bright. Even Caramel thought he was going for a younger customer base, with a sign that said it was for the next generation. Thinking about which one he might want to start with."

I'm at a party. There's a welcoming party being held for me, because she holds one for everypony.
Everypony...

"But I didn't see him until Pinkie's first party." Her head slowly dipped: the weight of the restraint, and too much more. "Where he was talking to Fluttershy. Or she spoke to him, because it's a topic where she'll take a chance. A new pony in town, with no known animal companion? She wanted to match him with a pet, and there were kittens at the cottage. But he said... he'd had a kitten once. Who turned into a cat. And if Fluttershy could find him a kitten where that didn't happen --"

There was a frantic note beginning to rise in the dark mare's voice "-- Fleur, none of this is evidence, not for a court --"

"-- and he went up to Sweetie at that party. One of the only adults who talked to her at all." Her right forehoof angrily flicked at the stone. "I think he did pick her early: that's why I wouldn't be surprised by a name change. She's a beautiful child, isn't she? Kind and caring, I think. She loves her father. And you can see hints of the mare she might become. But she's a little shy. I'm guessing she doesn't open up easily."

"The most reserved of the three," Miranda managed to get out. "She can have her flares of temper, especially when she's frustrated. But they're rare."

"Shy," Fleur repeated. "You go more slowly, when there's shyness. Because it's so easy to push them away."

She has to hate me.

"He uses makeup, too. Most stallions don't. It's... like he's trying to make himself look like a child's plaything. Something soft and glittery. Non-threatening. Weak. That's what he wants you to see, until the mask comes off. And then --"

The costume has to be balanced, but the elastics are rubbing at my fur.

"-- he went further. Nightmare Night. Everypony as a monster, and he's out there as candy." And felt her volume drop, at the same moment as her heart. "Because the real monster needs to disguise itself as something else. Cotton candy. Something for the young." Pure sugar, where too much of it makes you sick and it might only take a few bites --

Fleur sharply inhaled, and the cold of the cell air burned her lungs.

"-- I just realized! Applejack tried to get a sample from him, and he showed her that the hoof cone was too small a diameter for her to put it on! Who rolled the cone? He was screening out the adults! And it wasn't for the last time, Miranda, because he was running that promotion for the opening of his shop! Did you see that sign?"

She heard the officer swallow. "I've trotted past it. Something about -- having the winner get a lesson --"

"-- create your own batch, under instruction. What are the odds that it's just him and the winner in the back of the shop, out of sight, behind locked doors? It's not that hard to rig a contest draw if you're holding the whole thing with no supervision, so he can target whoever he likes as long as he can get them to enter. And if you didn't notice, there's a maximum age limit --"

the right moment could potentially lead to a

"-- Fleur?"

to a

Something thin, light, and faintly tingling settled across her back.

"There," Miranda softly decided as the released blanket sagged. "That should help with the shivering." Followed by a sharp breath. "Fleur, it still isn't evidence. I can't go into a courtroom with circumstantial stacked up to Moon --"

"-- then you're seeing it?" Which was when she realized she was begging: this was followed immediately by the realization that she didn't care. "If you believe me --"

"-- and saying 'This pony has a unique talent which isn't recorded anywhere: you're just going to have to trust her!' The Princess told me there was nothing like you in the Archives, Fleur! There's no previous basis --"

"-- I can demonstrate, I did with you, it's easy --"

"-- and none of that changes the fact that you're a known blackmailer!" The sound of forehooves slamming into iron added a little extra to the punctuation. "Something which is very much going to come out in court! A blackmailer, an extortionist, and that's just what I know about! You aren't credible! We can prove your talent: what we can't prove is that you aren't a liar!"

...I...
no

"And you didn't even tell me!" the officer angrily pushed on. "Once you knew, you could have --"

"And you would have believed me? I can't even be sure you believe me now, not if you're trying for something and police can always lie, you've effectively said I'm not giving you enough --"

"-- you could have gone to anypony! To Fluttershy, to the Bearers --"

"-- and what do they do, if they believe me?" If I had to tell them I'm a "Lurk around his house?" Her tail was starting to thrash, the styling was coming apart... "Threaten him into going to another town, where he just starts all over again? You can't watch him for the rest of his life, and you said there's nothing which could be brought into court! What's your next idea, Miranda? Did you want me to wind him up? Invite him into one of the schools, surround him with children and just wait until he tried something in front of witnesses? Move his hospital bed into the pediatrics ward? Follow him everywhere and hope nothing happens that makes me a few seconds too late? I saw his puzzle! He was talking to Sweetie, and every urge was rising! I'm sure she came to the party alone, and he'd offer to take her home! I was going to take her home! I thought she needed an escort for the road --"

"-- oh, good," came out as a little too dry. Dark, with all actual humor extracted: perfect for the profession. "So now there's a third layer to that old joke."

"-- but he was trying to get there first! And once he had her out of sight, isolated --"

The shout cut her off. "-- so you decided to put your own solution into play! Now, what was that -- oh, right: it was murder!"

Decibels filled the cells. Echoed from the walls, eventually drained through the speaking tubes.

It's not working.
She won't do anything.
He'll get out of the hospital, he'll move somewhere else, and
I'm so tired.
My time is up.
My time ran out years ago and I'm still here when she

"It was going to be that night." A hiss to counter the shout, the snake looking for a place to plant the poison. "I know it."

"You said you were going to take her home," Miranda deflected. "That buys time --"

"-- and leaves him with frustrated urges, potentially lashing out because the mask never stays on forever, when I can't watch everypony every minute, not with the way the cottage has been --"

Flatly, nearly all of the volume dropping out at once. "So you decided to kill him."

It was an obvious trap.
It would have been easy to ignore.
It doesn't matter.

"He had to die."

This blink was louder. It echoed in the tubes.

"You're... just telling me that," Miranda half-whispered. "You're telling me that you just immediately made the decision to take a life --"

"-- I decided to kill a monster," Fleur evenly clarified. "Yes."

"You knew what the circlet does. You couldn't have run --"

There was a way in which the next words almost could have been a joke. "I didn't say I was planning to get away with it."

She heard the dark mare stand, and then wondered if the entire building could hear the scream.

"What ARE you, FLEUR? Even if he's everything you said, EVERYTHING, there had to be another way! Name me any pony who has their first solution as MURDER! What kind of Equestrian --"

εκκαθάριση
winding you up

It had been days. Weeks. Moons.
A lifetime.
A death.

Something broke.

-- and her eyes were open and she was on her hooves right at the front of the cell and she'd stopped the charge just short of the bars, the officer had pulled back from a restrained horn, the blanket had fallen away, her body was screaming in pain from the sudden movement and she didn't care any more she didn't care about anything because her time was supposed to be up, his time should have run out and nothing she'd done mattered --

"STOP IT!"

Miranda's buttocks were pressed against the bars of the opposite cell. Fleur liked that. It wasn't much of a rear anyway.

"I'm tired of listening to you! Too naive to live, too afraid to do the only thing which should ever be done when somepony's planning to rape a child, has already done so over and over before he came here to start the hunt again! Tired of everything, Miranda! I'm going to be put on trial for attempted murder, and there's no way out? Let me go to prison for the one I actually committed! And if you don't understand, if you want the lies to stop, then let's go to the one you just told! Told without knowing it, and maybe that's a crime --"


I just sent the last of them out of the mill.

They were surprised to see me show up. More surprised when I started passing out the packets. I think they've been waiting to be let go for a while, but the severance pay didn't figure into their plans. I don't mind. Once it's pressed between their forehooves, she can't get at it.

I'm back in my office, for the couple of minutes where it's still an office at all. Filling in the last few pages, because that's one way to get rid of a habit. You do it until you're sick of the whole thing, and then you've used it up.

I know how to make myself feel sick.

It's my fault. Everything was my fault.

I told myself I was trying to protect her. She didn't have to be out there in a new settled zone, a place which was still too wild for her. Didn't matter how many mares were part of the effort. She shouldn't go. She could stay home, and then I'd know she was safe.

She was safe. She also wasn't in my bed, or the barn, or anywhere else. Gave her a lot of time to think.

What if I'd treated her like an equal? Trusted her to look out for herself in those times when I wasn't there to guard her? If she'd been here from the start, would that have helped?

She could have shared the adventure. And when I think about that, picture her next to me the whole way until I start smelling that soup again, it feels like we might still be together. There's pressure in a new settled zone, when you're trying to make it safe. Pressure pushes things closer.

I thought she liked comfort too much. She didn't have to be out there with me. She could have controlled weather and nice shops until the time was right.

I left her behind.

Only need a few days to take the mill apart, even by myself. I know just where to kick it. Over and over. But it's closed now, and it'll stay closed because that makes it mine. I'm the one who built my own folly, so let it stand.

I was never a real Founder. I got here too late. The connections aren't the same. I know I've got friends here, but they don't understand what happened. Not the way it really is. That it was Ponyville, and my coming here, that did everything. They think if I stay, they can sort of rebuild me. But there isn't enough foundation, and the heartwood's dead.

I can't tell them tha

If I told them, they might try to make me st

Got here too late. I guess there's some who'd say I'm leaving too early, but they won't get the chance to say it to my snout. I know how long it takes to reach town from here. How much time I've got to finish these pages before anypony shows up at a closed mill door. I wrote out the note to put on it in advance.

This journal stays behind, hidden in a locked office. All this is now is using up the habit. The ponies I wanted to read it will never be born. The way I wrote the note means no one's ever coming in. They don't have the right.

Let the mill stand. Let it rot. I don't get a space on the Founders' plaque. But there's still going to be something around, until it finally falls in on itself. And I could burn the journal, but that's the epitaph and collapse report. Put them together and it's the grave marker for a dead dream.

Once the office is sealed and the note's up, I'm leaving. Everything I'm taking with me is in the saddlebags. I don't need much. Just about anything I could take reminds me of her. Of how stupid I was. Can't take the house, and I don't care about what's left in it. I've got the money that was left, and some paperwork. It'll be enough to start over.

A new foundation. I think that's the best I can hope for now. Give up on this one. Get away from everything which makes me think about her.

Ponyville makes me think about her. Canterlot.

Equestria.

What if I really started over? I've got all the paperwork. I could leave everything behind. Cross and never look back. Everypony Everyone needs stuff built. It's just a matter of finding the right place.

Maybe I could even find another mare. Not make the same mistakes. And if I got that lucky, nopony ever has to know this part of my life ever happened. It's dead. It rots with the mill.

I heard there's a decent pony population in


-- and the unicorn's face changed.

The lips parted slightly, then went rigid. Nostrils froze. Almost all expression moved into the eyes, which blazed rage and hate and pain and doubled failure and the death which should have been hers. And as she spoke, her teeth clacked together on key syllables. Met and parted, like the edges of a beak.

"-- what kind of Equestrian? None, because ponies don't understand how to do what has to be done! But my people would, and we act! To save the very last link, so it has a chance to become the first! I'm from Protocera!"

PreviousChapters Next