• ...
27
 547
 3,419

PreviousChapters Next
9 - Brothers Back Together Again

{I can think of one pony who’d fit in nicely living here}

“Seems like a nice enough little hamlet. Looks like my friend Applejack would love the local fashion,” Rarity said with an unappreciative snort.

Aengus said, “If you say so.”

The two stood on a small rise just north of Solaceon Town minutes past high noon. Folks in down-home country duds and cowboy hats milled about. A strange hill with a few cave openings sat just past the trees to their left. A building with a wide fenced-in area was on the right of the main thoroughfare, or muddy road as Rarity saw it. There were a few other houses, and the usual amenities for Pokémon and their trainers seen around Sinnoh. Past the village, poking above the thin woods was a tower, one incongruous to the local architecture.

Rarity grumbled, “I still would like to have spent some time in that department store, and I’m still waiting for an answer.”

“I told you before we arrived that we’d have little more than a pit stop at Veilstone, and Paddy can explain himself if he wants to,” Aengus answered. He then knelt down in front of her. “Now hold still a moment; I believe you no longer need this headgear.”

“Thank Celestia,” Rarity muttered with a relieved sigh.

As Aengus finished loosening the Experience Share and removed it, Rarity took a rather pleased deep breath, and began adjusting her coif with her magic. Aengus opened his bag, put the odd headset inside, and then pulled out a small off-white ellipsoid. He said, “I want you to keep this with you for awhile.”

Rarity gave it a sideways glance. “You...want me to keep an egg? Surely you don’t mean for me to incubate the little dear, do you?”

“Not at all,” Aengus snickered. “This is a Lucky Egg. You’ll learn from your experiences more quickly with it.”

“Ah. I see.”

“I’m also putting you on point,” Aengus said.

Rarity’s lips tightened at those words. She paused, and said, “You mean, I’m out front, doing the fighting.”

“Precisely.”

Rarity sighed and shook her head. The two began down the small hill. As they neared the town limits, she asked, “Where do you think he’s at?”

Aengus looked to his right, at the fenced-in area. As he looked across the different Pokémon there, he said, “Let’s try this building first.”

They walked toward the entrance, again, on the south-facing side of the building, in a rectangular alcove between the building and its fence. An old man stood there, giving them both a courteous nod. Rarity looked up at the sign. She blurted, “‘Daycare?’ Why would Paddy stop at a daycare?”

Aengus sighed. “How many times must I say he can explain himself for himself?”

“Pphhht. Fine.”

Heading inside, they saw a quaint lobby, one of the blue computers, and an old lady behind a counter. Paddy was not there. The crone said, “I’m the Daycare Lady. We can raise your Pokémon for you.”

“Actually, I was looking for my brother. I thought he may have come here,” Aengus interrupted.

“And you were right,” Paddy interrupted in turn. Aengus and Rarity turned toward the door and saw him enter, this time in mostly black from head to toe with red trim on his jacket, pants, and a logo of some kind on his black ball cap. The same logo was on his jacket above the left chest pocket, but in white there. This time, his boots were black. Paddy was folding up a bike and putting it in his bag as he continued, “I saw you two going in, but you were out of shouting range.”

Aengus chuckled and shook his head. “Met your goal, I take it?”

“Naturally,” said Paddy with a satisfied smile. “Took about as long as expected, too.”

Rarity gave Paddy a slight frown, head tilted down a touch, and eyes narrowed. “Aengus has been dodgy about what you’ve been doing, just that I wouldn’t like it. And that was only implied, not flat-out said. What were you doing?”

“Left a pair of my Pokémon here. The Daycare couples in every region do a great job of raising them and bringing them up stronger while one’s away training others,” Paddy said earnestly.

“If you meant Trixie, she’s a pony like me, not a Pokémon,” Rarity growled. “And if they ‘raise’ them while one’s away, what were you doing that wasn’t here?”

Paddy shrugged. “It’s nothing for you to worry about, but suffice it to say, it’ll do me a world of good. But I doubt you’ll even notice.”

Aengus facepalmed at his brother. Rarity nickered and said, “I would like to know what you did to my fellow pony.”

“Geez, I thought you two didn’t get on well at all,” Paddy said with a dismissive hand gesture. “I said not to worry. Now if you’ll pardon me, I need to pay these good folks for their kind services.”

Paddy walked up to the counter. Aengus stood there shaking his head and chewing on his lower lip as Rarity walked back over to him, grumbling, “What is it about younger siblings acting spoiled? My sister gives me the same kind of flippant attitude every now and then.”

As the Daycare Lady asked for a hundred Pokébucks for Zebstrika’s time there, Aengus said, “Maybe it’s because they get more attention, since they’re the closest removed from being a wee babe? I don’t know. I just know that I had to be the responsible one, and took the fall whenever he was out of line. It was always, ‘you’re the older brother; you should know better than to let him do that!’ whenever he broke something or other such rot. Or when I tried being more strict and held his arms down, you know, to keep him from doing stupid things like grabbing a hot burner on the stove, I got it again: ‘you have no right to restrain your brother like that!’ Bloody aggravating, I tell you.”

“Hear, hear. Preaching to the choir, sir,” Rarity said approvingly with a firm nod. The Daycare Lady lead Zebstrika out; the ball of red yarn in his mane drew a raised eyebrow from Rarity. The lady charged seventeen-hundred for Trixie. As she heard the other pony’s name, Rarity turned and started for the counter. She said, “And why was she so much more expensive? I know Trixie can be a hooffull, but seriously?”

Paddy said, “If a Pokémon in their care—”

“Pony,” Rarity inserted.

“—grows in strength more quickly than another does,” Paddy said without missing a beat, “they charge more for that Pokémon than—”

Pony!

“—the one that grew little,” he finished, and gave Rarity a condescending half-grin before turning back toward the door behind the counter. Zebstrika also looked that direction. Rarity muttered something indistinct under her breath that had the air of something profane.

Beyond the door, the Daycare Lady’s voice said in grandmotherly tones, “Oh, dearie, you have to be careful when you roughhouse some. I’m sure it’s in your nature to, well, horse around, but don’t overdo it. Easy does it now.”

“She’s hurt?” Rarity’s face instantly switched from biting back obscenities to genuine worry as she looked around the counter’s gate.

{Annnndd it gets awkward}

As the Daycare Lady led Trixie out from the yard, Rarity couldn’t help but notice her gait was off. Trixie had a bit of a wobble to her hind legs, but a sleepy grin on her face, very different from her usual smug demeanor. The Daycare Lady lifted the gate and Trixie ambled forward unevenly. With a wince and stumble, Trixie looked up at Zebstrika. She nuzzled him, with a blush and a smile. Zebstrika returned the affection with a sated grin of his own. Trixie looked him in the eye, still blushing, but she winced and stumbled again as she stepped toward Paddy. Rarity asked with concern, “Are you okay? What happened to you?”

“Something great and powerful...,” sighed Trixie happily, a tired smile taking over her face.

“Great and powerful?” Rarity echoed, giving Trixie a hard, unamused tight-lipped stare. Rarity’s eyes widened with a slight gasp as she murmured, “Trixie, you didn’t...!”

Still smiling to herself, Trixie met Rarity’s eyes and said, “Guess the gals at school weren’t kidding: ‘Once you’ve had stripes, nothing else feels right.’”

Rarity’s eyes appeared...larger, as if they forcibly widened their own sockets as their lids went poof and were gone; the only hint her eyelids still existed somewhere were Rarity’s well-mascaraed eyelashes poking out at the top and bottom of each eye. At the same time, Rarity let out a gasp, long and in her lower register, with her jaw slightly apart and opening more. As the overly long gasp dragged on for a moment, Aengus rubbed his forehead nervously and muttered, “This is gonna be bad....”

TRIXIE!!! YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF, DOING THAT IN FRONT OF OTHERS!! THIS IS A DAYCARE FOR CELESTIA’S SAKE!!!” Rarity screamed, loud enough to force everyone and everything else present to cover their ears.

Lowering her hooves, Trixie’s smug smirk returned as she brushed at her chest. She snidely asked, “Jealous?”

“J...j...jea...JEALOUS!!?” Rarity sputtered. “Why in the hoof would I be JEALOUS of...of...your immodesty, of all things?!?

Trixie mockingly laughed. “Oh please, Rarity. Immodesty? Surely even you couldn’t forget that The Great and Powerful Trixie just loves a good captive audience, and oh were they captivated by her...performance. A showpony, putting on a show...who would have ever guessed? That one little Pachirisu kept excusing herself to behind the bushes for several minutes at a time.”

Rarity’s jaw seemed to unhinge and hang unnaturally low. Zebstrika’s face flushed as he pointedly looked away, tapping at the ground. Aengus and Paddy both stood agape themselves, somewhere between aghast and stunned. Trixie sneered and chuckled in her pompous sort of way. Aengus blurted, “This is just getting weird....”

“Aye,” Paddy said sheepishly.

Aengus shook his head while Rarity failed to form syllables. He looked over at his brother and said, “Good to know you’re not enjoying this.”

“Seriously, brother?” Paddy grumbled, giving Aengus the annoyed, incredulous look younger siblings often give their big brothers and sisters when they think something is obvious. Rarity was still searching for something to say. Paddy pursed his lips, and demanded, “What kind of person gets off on seeing, hearing, or reading about horses humping?”

“You...did that...in front of...why...what...,” Rarity cobbled together.

“And as to your jealousy, isn’t it obvious? I can bed a real stallion,” Trixie asked as she sidled up alongside of Zebstrika, who had gotten past his embarrassment and nuzzled her. She enjoyed his tenderness for a moment, then she pointed a hoof at Rarity threateningly as she barked, “While the best you could do is ‘your precious wittle Spikey-Wikey;’ isn’t that right?”

Rarity’s upper lip curled as her teeth clenched. She snapped, “One, I did not, could not, and would not do that to a child! And two, I, unlike you, turn every head in Ponyville, and nearly half of them in Canterlot!!”

“Yet you can’t get a single one of them to ask you on a date, let alone more. That is just pathetic,” Trixie countered, dropping to her lower register on and slowing down the last word, before resuming her trademarked smirk.

Rarity snarked, “Oh, forgive my good looks for being too intimidating for most boys to dare approach! And when I give my future husband wilder nights than he could imagine, night after night, we’ll have the decency to do it behind closed doors, instead of out in the open at a daycare, you licentious howler!”

Trixie snorted, “Sure you will. And, just so you know, despite what it says on the sign, this is no ‘daycare.’ It’s—”

“This has gone on quite long enough, thank you,” Paddy chided as Trixie suddenly vanished, replaced by retreating green specks of light. Zebstrika’s shoulders slumped slightly as he looked at where she was. Then he, too, disappeared in a similar means, but light blue instead of green. Paddy turned to Aengus and said, “And I’ll thank you to not let your Pokémon cause an Uproar outside of battle.”

Pony!!” Rarity shouted.

{Let’s, um...step away from that weirdness, then}

“She doesn’t know—” Aengus began as he walked up to Rarity, his words coming to a screeching halt as he placed a hand on her head. He paused a moment, both eyebrows raised, and continued, “Huh. She does now.”

Paddy started for the computer. “I sure hope that didn’t replace anything you wanted to keep.”

“I’ve got it under control,” Aengus said smoothly as he followed his brother.

“Naturally; I would expect nothing less from you, Aengus,” Paddy answered. Rarity did not follow, but headed towards and stood by the door with an insistent expression. Paddy continued tapping on the screen, putting Pokéballs into the slot and receiving others, and he said, “Just have to make a few adjustments.”

Aengus watched his brother for a moment, then sighed, “Yeah, I figured that was your next move.”

“Obviously. Perfect set, and time to start fresh,” Paddy answered.

“Just putting that on her from here?” Aengus asked with a small frown.

“Quicker and easier this way,” said Paddy as he simply nodded. Another moment passed. Rarity audibly cleared her throat, but neither brother turned. A pause, and then Paddy muttered to himself, “Now, to—”

“You’re not really gonna—” Aengus interjected.

“Sure am,” Paddy interrupted back, tapping a point on the screen with a minor flourish.

Aengus scoffed irritably and shook his head. As he put his hands on his hips, he grumped, “You’re a real piece of work, Paddy, you know that?”

“Yes, I learned it well from you,” Paddy said with a small grin.

“Ahem,” Rarity faux-coughed. “Aren’t you quite done yet? I thought we had a boat to catch, and a race northward to get there in time.”

“Hold your horses, you,” Paddy said, grinning to himself.

“Not funny.”

“I’m making some party adjustments,” Paddy said with some worn-down patience. “It’ll only be a moment longer.”

“‘Adjustments’ is what you’re calling it now?” Aengus said accusingly.

Paddy stopped and gave his brother a disapproving stare. His voice was about the same. “Are you seriously starting to emotionally attach to her? You were the one who warned me against becoming too fond of any given Pokémon because of how dramatically it can weaken one’s team, or don’t you remember my Sunkern?”

“I tell you, she has a kind of diversity in her moves the likes of which no one’s ever seen,” Aengus said with forced civility.

“And I’m telling you, dear brother,” Paddy began in about the same fashion, “that you know just as well as I do that while moveset diversity is a boon, as are specific approaches against opponents, both of those are all for naught if that Pokémon of yours—”

PONY!!!

“—cannot overcome statistical deficiencies, like actually doing something with its attacks, or...taking a hit without then finding herself in dire straits,” Paddy finished.

“You saw her dossier; you can’t make-believe she doesn’t pack a punch,” Aengus fired back.

“What good is a canon if it doesn’t get a chance to fire?” Paddy countered. Aengus sighed and looked down. Paddy resumed, “Ah, so you did notice. What’s your contingency plan for physical sweepers, even subpar ones...such as, say...a Crobat?”

“I remember their teams, Paddy,” Aengus said. “She’ll get the job done.”

Paddy put his hands up. “Hey, I’m just trying to help. But she’s right; we should head out before it gets any later.”

“Finally,” Rarity grumbled. They all left the building and turned northward. Paddy went out in front as they headed up that little rise. Rarity asked, “Darling, what was he on about, ‘physical sweeper’ and all that?”

{The party heads north}

Aengus grimaced. “Styles of Pokémon, and specialties. A ‘physical sweeper’ is a fast-moving Pokémon with strong physical attacks, used to strike down an opponent before they get off a move or two. He’s concerned you’re not nimble enough to handle how quickly a sweeper strikes, and also that you lack the fortitude to withstand their attacks.”

“Are his fears warranted?” Rarity asked, rolling her eyes.

“Unfortunately yes,” Aengus answered sadly. Rarity shot his a displeased look as he continued, “Sorry; it’s just the way it is. Your speed is above average, but nowhere near what sweepers have. But I still want you on the team. Why I do is because the last two in the run for Champion are Bruno, who uses Fighting-types, and Karen the current champion, a Dark-type master. You can target both of them, and outrun most of their crew.”

Rarity nodded. Then she looked up at Aengus and said, “I thought you said you’ve never gotten past Bruno. How do you know what this Karen has?”

“I watched somebody else make their challenge,” Aengus said with a small grin. “That pompous sodding bugger had Psychic-types for half of his team and two Ghosts, which helped him against Will, Koga, and Bruno, but you remember what Dark-type moves are super effective against, right?”

Rarity sighed as if to sympathise. “Yeah. Psychic- and Ghost-types. This...‘sodding bugger,’ as you so artfully put it, really set himself up for failure, didn’t he?”

Aengus nodded. “Karen sent each of her Pokémon for some time on the field, as if she were just giving them a chance to stretch their legs. Six knockouts to none. It was brutal. It’s too bad, too; I was hoping to see what the then-champion Lance used.”

“Oh. Did Karen defeat him and take his place?” Rarity asked.

Aengus shook his head. “He left of his own accord, off to join the new ‘World Elite Four.’”

Rarity raised an eyebrow in interest. “Safe to assume this is a League to sit above every regional League?”

“Yep,” said Aengus. “Saw bills posted for it while we were in Kalos, and again in Unova. Heck, there’s one such bill hung on that sign right there, to your right...yes, that.”

“The rain’s made this illegible, dear,” Rarity said, looking back at Aengus a bit annoyed.

Aengus shrugged, and continued, “I shouldn’t be surprised; it’s probably been there for close to half a year by now. As I was saying, we were in Virbank City in Unova when we got a letter from mom, telling us that Lance had moved on to the World Elite Four. There were a few other names she mentioned that I don’t recall clearly right now; I think she mentioned a ‘Steven Stone,’ or some name like that. I can’t remember the other two, but the World Champion...I said the night before that three boys a few years older than me challenged and won the Indigo League when they set out on their first adventure, and that’s part of why I’m still going for it. The World Champion was the first of those three, Blue Oak.”

Rarity pulled her lips taut and shook her head. “His actual name is ‘Blue?’ What were his parents thinking?”

“Who knows?”

Rarity snorted, “Just as long as he wasn’t dethroned by a kid name ‘Red,’ or something equally absurd.”

“Actually...,” Aengus snickered.

Rarity’s expression fell as she facehoofed. “Oh my Celestia....”

“Anyways, that opened a slot in the Indigo League’s Elite Four, and as usual, a Gym Leader stepped up to take the spot. Actually made me happy that Volkner was an Electric specialist, because that made the gym a practical warm-up mentally to deal with the newest member of the Elite Four,” Aengus said.

“Am I about to hear another needlessly whimsical name?” Rarity quipped with a dull expression.

Aengus forced a closed-mouth grin as he closed his eyes for a moment, sighing through his nose. “Well, when I met him, he was Lieutenant Surge.”

Rarity hung her head. “Luna save us....”

“When I went through his Gym, it sounded like he was about due for promotion to Captain. That was long enough ago he has to have made Major by now, maybe even Lieutenant Colonel,” said Aengus, stifling a laugh.

“I don’t mean to be rude, but ‘Captain Surge’ and ‘Major Surge’ sound equally cheesy, like something out of a half-bit comic book,” Rarity said flatly.

Aengus simply shrugged. They made their way north, through some extra tall grass, and turned west when the route became extra-foggy. Pidgeot dealt with the fog almost immediately. They encountered a little over a dozen trainers on their way, most of whom Rarity did not find difficult. The one Probopass both disgusted Rarity and left her seeing stars. When a pair of skilled young trainers wanted a two-on-two battle near nightfall, Paddy sent out a pink cat-like creature with a forked tail, purple eyes, and a red gem set in its forehead to fight alongside Rarity. This thing struck much faster than she could, sending such a harsh psychic wave that she felt it push on her too, and saw it leave a rippling distortion. A few stones needed another two minutes before they fell back to the ground. As they moved on, Rarity nudged Aengus and asked, “That was a sweeper that Paddy sent out, wasn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Aengus answered. “Espeon is a special sweeper, not a physical sweeper. It’s not perfect, especially if there are Steel-types against it, but in many situations it’s pretty strong. Of course, Paddy keeps counters against Steel-type foes on-hand and will switch out if needed.”

{Welcome to another fortuitously-but unrealistically-placed settlement}

On they went in the failing light. Dusk had long passed when they arrived at Celestic Town, and the stars were bountiful. They started toward a bed and breakfast. An elderly couple stopped and gave Rarity a suspicious look. She met their gaze sideways, and asked, “Is there something wrong?”

“And she talks, too,” said the man. “I wonder if it’s the same one.”

“‘Same one’ what?”

“Were you at The Great Marsh this morning?” he asked.

Aengus answered, “We’ve not been there in days. Why?”

“Word’s gotten around that there were a pair of unique pony-Pokémon in The Great Marsh this morning that came through what looked like a ‘shimmering mirror.’ Ones that could speak,” the old lady said. “Witnesses say they were both unicorns, and one of the two started firing blue-green blasts out of its horn at people, and their Pokéballs, before they retreated back through this gateway. You wouldn’t happen to have any information about it, would you?”

“Sorry, I don’t,” Rarity said defensively.

“How did you hear about that?” Aengus asked with scrunched eyebrows.

The old man flipped open a newspaper, and pointed at the front-page headline. Rarity could not read their alphabet, but Aengus took the paper and perused the article. After a moment, he said, “Rarity, would you know a pony with a pale pink coat, blue eyes, and a dark purple mane with an aquamarine streak in it?”

Rarity’s eyes widened. “Starlight Glimmer! She’s Trixie’s best friend, and probably came looking for her! She’d want to know!”

“Okay, then would you also know a...never mind,” said Aengus, who looked up and saw Rarity had already taken off toward the bed and breakfast.

{Inside, and time for beddy-bye, but somepony is too awake}

She ran in and down the hall after Paddy, who had already opened the door to his own room. Rarity shouted, “Paddy, dear! I need to talk to Trixie right away!”

“I’m really not in the mood for another argument between you two,” he said, and took a step in.

“Please!” Rarity pressed. “It’s about her best friend! She was seen at The Great Marsh this morning!”

Paddy stopped and turned. “Really? They came through from the other side?”

Rarity nodded, “According to the newspaper, yes they did, but left just before the portal shut.”

Paddy walked back out into the hall. “I’ll get my own copy. Thanks for letting me know.”

“Darling, I still need to talk to her,” Rarity urged.

Paddy sighed. “I appreciate that you’re concerned for Trixie, really I am, but she’s exhausted. She has been all day, and is already asleep. I don’t imagine waking her now is the best plan, especially if they’re already gone. Her best friend, you said?”

“Yes. Starlight Glimmer.”

“Starlight Glimmer. Got it,” said Paddy. “I’ll let her know when she wakes up.”

The rest of the night was uneventful. Aengus got a room with two beds, though they weren’t as soft as the nice ones at Hotel Grand Lake, but not bad. The three arose, breakfasted, and were back on the move just after dawn, dressed in thicker clothing. Rarity sulked that practicality trumped fashion, not to mention a lack of selection at the general store. When it came to adding extra furs sized for a pony, all they could offer her were a few down comforters and half a cow hide. Rarity settled on the thick red blanket, though she called it carmine, and tied it around her neck like a foal’s “cape.” They headed west...starting up the side of the ever-present Mt. Coronet.

Author's Note:

I don't know why, but something about writing Rarity getting into an argument is just so enjoyable. :twilightoops: Something about her lends herself so well to these kinds of squabbles. I wager that her having the looks, but no dates to show for it, is a sore point for the poor mare. Trixie's done well at sussing out weaknesses and targeting them in an argument, especially when it comes to Rarity, and this time was no exception.

Rarity, unsurprisingly, does not approve of what Trixie did at the daycare, but is no closer to discovering for herself why Paddy put her there in the first place. The boys are just as tight-lipped as ever. Maybe if she can talk to Trixie without getting into another shouting match, she might find out, or at least get a clue of where to start. Now that Rarity's out in front, she's getting much more hooves-on battle experience...yet the thought of facing a "sweeper" worries her, more so after seeing Paddy's Espeon wipe the floor with something that couldn't keep up.

Mt. Coronet beckons. And beyond are the northern routes to Snowpoint City. They have a day to get there, and not much room for error; that is a bunch of ground to cover on foot, and most of it is snow-covered. Footing will be tricky. Can they get there before the sundown, or will they be forced to press on through an unforgiving frigid night? Will they even make it in time at all? Find out same time, same place next week. Thanks for reading.

PreviousChapters Next