• ...
27
 547
 3,425

PreviousChapters Next
27 - Betrayed [Chapter Tag: Gore]

{It’s been a pet peeve of mine, that a character is obviously dreaming, and the writer tries to play it off like we’re supposed to be surprised that they’re dreaming, when it’s bloody obvious. I’m not doing that to you guys.}

Nighttime was the very last time of the day Rarity wanted to find herself in the Everfree forest, but it could not be helped; there she was, without any clear reason as to why, even in her own mind. She cantered down the path, breathing hard, looking all around and occasionally behind her. Creatures chattering and goading with laughter were on all sides, though there were few glowing eyes. A disembodied voice echoed nearby, “Rarity...he still loves me, Rarity...you can’t change that....”

Rarity very suddenly stopped. In she gasped, “Salazzle!?”

Ears turning in all directions, Rarity waited. No answer came. She looked left, then right, then down the hill, and up at the trees. Somewhere along the path ahead she heard Salazzle chortling, and said, “Oh Rapidash, it’s beautiful! Wait, is this ring...that sort of ring??”

“No...!” Rarity squawked to herself and bolted onward.

Salazzle tittered like a school filly from the same indeterminate point ahead. Rushing, Rarity leapt over a downed log and charged along a path that was straighter than any she had seen in the forest before. Somewhere ahead she heard Rapidash cooing, “Yes, my dearest. It is.”

A mixture of heartbroken and angry tears flowed as she galloped onward, pressing hard for what looked like a clearing down the trail. Squealing happily, Salazzle hollered, “Yes...yes!! Oh Rapidash, I love you!”

“And I love you too, Salazzle,” he answered.

Rarity reached a meadow where she found the two sharing a romantic, endearing kiss. A gold band with a princess-cut diamond the size of an apple rode on Salazzle’s left paw. Rarity flopped onto the ground, sobbing. Rapidash and Salazzle broke their kiss and looked over at Rarity, both snickering. Salazzle chuckled, “What did I tell you? He’s mine, and always will be!”

You...!” Rarity roared, leaping back to her feet and charging at the lovers. But despite the ground she covered at the speed she did, they never seemed any nearer.

“Don’t mind her, my love,” Rapidash said sweetly.

Salazzle turned around and laid down, throwing her tail over her back. She dreamily sighed, “Yes, of course. I believe we were almost here.”

And Rarity screeched in fury and heartache at what followed, redoubling her efforts to reach them, but to no avail. The scenery around her and the forest floor below continued to be left behind, but Rapidash and Salazzle still remained several lengths away. Rarity powered up her horn, and let the ground beneath them undulate and spray dirt. The two were forced apart. Salazzle was tossed and blasted, gashing her skin and shattering her new ring. She did not stick the landing. As Salazzle collapsed and bled, Rarity suddenly closed ground. Shrieking, she stomped on Salazzle’s head and neck, over and over and over. Rarity looked down as she attempted to catch her breath. Salazzle’s skull and neck were crushed and broken, leaving a red mess all over Rarity’s hooves and forelegs. She gasped in horror at all the blood staining her white coat. With ragged breaths, she turned and ran for a sink that was not there a moment ago, mounted on a forebodingly-shaped beech. She turned on the water and with her magic scrubbed away with the soap and washrag, turning it red as well, but the blood on her hooves would not go away. She opened a cabinet that just appeared in the tree trunk, pulling out a green-backed sponge, floor cleaner concentrate, scouring powder, rubbing alcohol, acetone, toluene, and redschist powder, trying them all in turn, but the blood remained where it was. Her breathing became increasingly frantic as each cleaning agent failed as badly as the one before it. Somewhere Salazzle’s voice whispered, “And he’s still mine....”

“You’re so mean, Rarity! So selfish,” Rapidash grouched. Rarity turned around to find him lying there where Salazzle was. His head lay a metre away from his neck, with a growing crimson puddle between the two. He continued, “You did this to me....”

“No...! No, Rapidash, please don’t! Darling, I would never hurt you!” Rarity begged.

“Can it, you little liar!” yelled Paddy.

Rarity found him behind her all of a sudden, pointing accusingly at her while baring his teeth. Rarity began, “But—”

“Selfish, cruel murderer! Care only about yourself! Not a bit generous!” Paddy interjected loudly.

Tears welled up in her eyes as her ears and shoulders both slumped. “No! I’m—”

“Selfish!” interrupted Paddy in righteous anger.

Salazzle’s voice somewhere nearby hollered, “Selfish!”

Rapidash’s head shouted, “Selfish!”

Other voices took up the call. “Selfish! Selfish!”

The word pounded at her from all sides, some from familiar throats, others from strangers, but few from an actual physically-present being. Covering her head and eventually closing her eyes, Rarity yelled back, “No...no I’m not...stop calling me that! Stop it, please! Stop! Stop it!! I said ‘stop!’ Stop it!! Stop!! Shut up!! Shut up!! Shut uuuppppp!!!

The voices suddenly cut out. Rarity cautiously uncovered her head, and looked around her. Then she looked up at Paddy, pompously glaring down at her in indignation. He smiled at her abusively, and whispered, “Selfish bitch.”

Rarity shrieked and roared, jumping to her feet and right at him. She lowered her head, driving her horn through his belly. Thrashing her neck to the right, she threw his bleeding, crumpling form to the side. She pointed at his body angrily as she growled, “I’ve had enough of—”

Rarity stopped abruptly. Her voice was deeper than usual, punctuated with malice. Furthermore, her leg, while still covered in blood, was dark, a near-black charcoal grey where it should have been alabaster. She ran to the mirror above the sink, conveniently showing up now. Staring back at her was a black unicorn with a bigger purple mane bearing a white streak, and pale blue gemstone-like eyes, ones with slit-shaped pupils. This mare in the mirror grinned malevolently, and guffawed with vitriol. Rarity screamed out in terror.

{Shell shock, battle fatigue, whatever you want to call it, Rarity has it.}

With a gasp Rarity woke and sat up in unison, finding herself in the round room, thrashing around as she look frenziedly over everything around her. She was on the edge of hyperventilating again. Her coat was drenched with sweat; the wet patch on the floor covered an unevenly shaped two-thirds of the room, with short white hairs smeared all over it. Rarity looked closely at her forehooves. Both were a pristine white. Rarity sobbed twice before heading straight into wailing as she buried her face into her forelegs. She bemoaned, “What is happening to me?! This isn’t me; it’s not who I am, what I do...I’m losing myself! I’m losing who I am! How do I get me back!?”

She cried for a moment. Picking her head up, she saw her mascara on her hooves. Bawling, she whimpered, “I wanna go home...I just want to be me again. Design my fashion lines, run my stores, solve friendship problems when the map calls...just...be Rarity. I can’t do this...I can’t anymore.”

“Back with us now? You had us worried.”

Rarity looked to the wall. Feraligatr, Rapidash, and Chandelure watched her, each in their own ways of showing concern. Feraligatr continued, “We kept checking on you, since you were right back out not long after waking up. I think you spent all of half an hour awake yesterday. After the fight with Paddy, you’ve been restlessly sleeping. But that got worse as time went on. You were yelling and crying in your sleep, and thrashing all over the place by the end of it all. Went on for almost forty-five minutes. Never heard of anymon having that intense a nightmare before.”

Rarity’s gaze drooped, as did her head. She murmured, “I am a nightmare...or I very nearly became one...again. Not meaning a particularly bad dream, but something much worse. Before any of you ask, I shan’t trouble you with all the ghastly details. I...I can’t lose myself again. Not after what happened last time. And I’ve already done too much here.”

Chandelure asked, “What do you mean, ‘too much?’ I heard the bad news, but what are you getting at?”

Rarity sighed. “My time in Pokémon battles is over, because of the...egh...'bad news.’ I can never fight again. I...I just can’t. Once was too much.”

Feraligatr said sadly, “Rarity...we need you. You’re the best fighter I’ve ever seen, even after how much you protested the thought at first.”

“Perhaps, then, I am simply too excellent at it, because none of you have slain an opponent,” Rarity said bitterly. She sat and rubbed at her left temple with her one free hoof, not meeting any of their eyes.

Rapidash suddenly looked upward, and his screen disappeared. Feraligatr scrunched his face, then appeared to tap at something. Parting his mouth, he lightly gasped as he lifted his head. He said to himself, “Ah, I see. That explains what Aengus is doing, dropping us to four team members, and so on.”

“That explains...what, now?” Rarity asked.

“Where we are, about why Rapidash suddenly was called out. It’s not for battle,” Feraligatr said. Then his face and tone shifted to a smug, mischievous smile. “I think you’re out next, and you’re gonna have a great time!”

Chandelure looked upward as its arm-esque limbs dropped, grouching, “What is it with you and that shit-eating grin?”

Pleased she had not eaten yet today, Rarity exclaimed, “My goodness! I’ve never heard such an undignified term!”

A light shined over her head as Feraligatr chuckled, “You’re about to hear much worse.”

Rarity suddenly found herself in a small building with a gated counter, with an old woman on the other side of it. She opened the gate with a doting, grandmotherly smile, and said, “Come along, dearie. We’ll take good care of you.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. She looked around and found Aengus somewhat behind her. He nodded with a sad smile, eyes mostly at the ground. He quietly said, “It’s okay, Rarity. It won’t be for long.”

She blinked in confusion. She gazed at the closed door behind the old woman, then back at Aengus. “Darling, what is going on? What is this place?”

Aengus knelt down and pulled her into a hug. She hesitated before returning the embrace. His chest twitched with a sniffle. Guiltily he said, “Please...just be quick about it. I’m...I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

“Aengus, why are you crying?” Rarity asked in genuine concern.

He let go and stood up. Raking the tears from his eyes, he started for the other door quickly, murmuring, “I’m sorry, Rarity...I can’t ask for your forgiveness...but I’m sorry.”

Aengus closed the door behind him before Rarity could answer. Standing agape, she looked at the old woman again, then at the door. An improperly-formed syllable slipped out quietly, followed by more silent staring. She then looked to the old woman and asked, “Ma’am, I am dreadfully confused. What in the world is going on here?”

{Happy playtime.}

The old woman smile again as before, and said, “Your trainer has left you here with us for a little while. We’ll raise you until he returns. Your friend Rapidash is waiting, and I’m sure we have other new friends for you to play with as well.”

“Rapidash is waiting for me?!” Rarity said with her eyes lighting up. She came along quickly, to the happy chuckle of the old woman. Rarity followed her through the door into the back, and found a quiet and picturesque meadow under a late morning sun. Playground equipment was off to the right, with numerous Pokémon laughing and playing like schoolchildren. She and the old woman had to quickly take a step back to avoid a Pikachu, a round blue mouse, and a pink ball with a curly-cue and round teal eyes as they giggled and ran past at full speed; a moment later came an orange dragonfly, also laughing away. Further along was a line of trees with some shrubbery at their bases, through a break in said trees walked Rapidash. Rarity ran after him, doing her best to avoid too many questions from the Pokémon about what kind she was, her type, and declining two games of tag and a one of hide-and-seek. One asked about her “egg group,” which she ignored.

She passed through the trees. Here was a mostly-open field. Some thick shrubs stood in places, as did a shed and a barn, both with hay. Rapidash was not far, slowly plodding along, looking everything over with careful attention to the fence. Rarity started his way, but stopped. Tentatively she called, “Rapidash? Darling?”

He halted. After a moment he turned toward her, but said nothing. There was a ball of red yarn dangling off his mane. Carefully she took a few more steps toward him, asking, “Are...you still upset with me?”

He still did not speak, but his ears flattened as his shoulders slumped, looking at the ground a moment in tired sadness before returning her gaze. She looked across the field again, asking, “What is this place?”

“The Daycare,” he answered, sounding emotionally wounded.

She was almost to him when she asked, “What...a ‘daycare?’ ‘Daycare??’ Why would we be in a daycare? We’re both grown!”

He said nothing again. She looked him full in the face, gazing right into his red eyes. She watched as they dilated slightly as his breathing eased and his body relaxed. Rarity looked across the field again, saying, “Still, it’s a nice enough place. I swear I can hear others out there, but I don’t see—”

She had turned back to him to suddenly find his lips pressed against hers.

{They finally get to hook up.}

Rarity’s eyes shot open with a gasp through the nose, despite his eyes being closed. Hers shut a second later as she leaned into the kiss. Her heart pounded in her chest, reverberating in her ears. His hoof cradled the side of her head. A long, slow contented sigh oozed out of her nose. Here she had a moment in which she could stay permanently, the quiet euphoria of a long-sought wish fulfilled not exactly in the way she imagined, but perhaps better. Rapidash was no prince, but then again, bachelors among royalty hardly were good ponies from her experience. She sensed no trying to show off, or of somepony making a conquest out of her. For her, this simply felt right.

They broke. Dilated eyes stared affectionately in both directions. Nuzzling him, Rarity asked, “Oh, my love, why did we ever wait?”

“We were never alone until now,” Rapidash sighed contentedly, returning her affection in kind.

He placed one of her forehooves on his chest. Through this hoof she felt plain and simply that hers was not the only heart going a mile a minute at present. Rarity tittered a little, gazing back into his eyes. She said, “Kiss me again.”

Rapidash held her head again as they picked up where they left off. Her own hoof cupped the side of his face as well as unbridled joy washed over her. Rarity felt a rush of goosebumps start from her chest, up her neck and back down, and out through her legs. Something knocked at her teeth. Her mouth had a visitor, a guest welcomed gladly, albeit in surprise. Parting her teeth, the visiting tongue met the resident. The lightest of taps, tip to tip, began a slow, gentle dance. The guest led, tracing a circuit around the other near its end. Her breathing deepened, as did his. The dancing pair rubbed side against side. Sliding across its partner’s bottom, the visitor reciprocated on the other side, as if to maintain symmetry. A subtle lick to the bottom of the resident, and then the guest embraced its host, pushing against and sliding toward and away with tempered desired and measured vigor. The host took the lead and continued the samba outdoors as both mouths opened, holding contact at the upper lip. Hers skated deliberately across his, tracing a circle anticlockwise. The dancers pressed together tip to tip, and lightly tapped to close.

Rapidash kissed her cheek, repeating small pecks as he worked his way down her jaw. Just past the mandible bone he stopped and nibbled, a quick series of tiny bites as if his teeth were chattering from the cold. Rarity inhaled sharply through her nose; a shiver ran down her spine and down to her knees. The mixture of signals in her brain gave rise to a naughty joy, leaving her wondering why pain is so close to pleasure, and what made the two once intertwined so nice. Her breaths shortened some, but remained deep. His forehoof was in her mane. Wrapping his hoof up in her curls, he continued nibbling, until her gave her mane a short, sharp tug. She gasped as her eyes quickly opened, both out of focus. Her body tensed. Epinephrine pulsed in her bloodstream. She did not know the words at that moment to describe how she was feeling; all she knew for sure was that it was good. But somewhere in her mind prodded how this was too soon: maybe this behaviour would have been fine on the third or fourth date, but definitely not the first kiss. She whispered, “Rapidash, love, let’s not go too fast. We simply must maaaaakkke—o-o-ohh my goodness....”

Rapidash had abandoned the nibbles and pressed his lips against her skin and sucked. She twitched in growing physical delectation. Unconsciously Rarity wrapped her closer forehoof around his neck and head, pulling him closer. The feeling was nothing she had ever dreamed she could feel. Sensations and emotions, both alien prior to now, demanded she toss aside any propriety. A schism between body and mind arose, with her heart caught in the crossfire. On the one hoof, she had always been pure in her relations with stallions, firm her belief that such matters were meant only for a married couple. On the other, the need for a stallion’s touch from him burned at her, especially in places that were off-limits to any non-husband stallion.

Rapidash still said nothing as he worked upward, kissing and nibbling on his way up to her ear. With a deep gasp, Rarity’s eyes closed again. Her breaths turned ragged, still pressing his head to his work. She craned her neck with her mouth slightly parted, leaning into his ministrations. The waves of goosebumps rushed one after another, pounding like surf against stone, eroding her mind’s defenses one by one. Despite the cries of her body, her mind still held control of her mouth, as she pleaded, “Baby, we’re no-o-ot married yet; we ca-a-aaaaaan’t—sweet Celestia, don’t stop...!!

In unison with a sharp tug at her mane, Rapidash drove his tongue into her ear, as if he were trying to reach her eardrum. He also took the entirety of her ear into his mouth, and sucked away in control bursts, carefully yet enticingly. Similarly, his tongue took a tour around the inside of her ear, exploring and sliding over, across, and through every curve, bump, recess, divot, bulge, and edge. Rarity felt as though the world around her shrank, that anything away from her, and her beaux, were inconsequential.

Still without words, Rapidash nudged her head around and began to do the same to her other side. Rarity’s mind was awash. The speed of this desire’s growth and escalation would have been alarming to her, had she been in a normal state of mind. As it stood, she was fresh out of damns to give. Not even a heat cycle hit her like this, or anywhere close. If she were honest with herself, this was not a total surprise. She could not, in truth, deny she had some flights of fancy to such an effect. Idle fantasies of making love to him had been her last thoughts before sleep on at least one night that she could recall. But she never thought of it as anything more than the silly daydreams of a lonely mare. The very notion that such a rendezvous might actually occur had been dismissed as soon as it came, since it seemed laughable she could be in the Pokémon world long enough to forge a long-term relationship, let alone to tie the knot. But there she was. She felt her logical arguments and promises to herself crumbling under the pressure of her yearning. Failure to self-control appeared imminent, even to her. She whimpered, “Can you a-at least take me to di-i-iinnner first? Then we’ll ha-aaave—aaaaAAAAHH—RIGHT THERE!!

Rapidash had begun to rub his horn against hers. Her scream had been not much more than a whisper. Twitches jolted through her as the goosebumps simply took hold, erecting every last follicle. Rarity tried to breathe, but could not stop holding her breath. Frozen in place, she felt herself slipping away, and could not find the strength to care. She felt a hairbreadth from nirvana, a physical euphoria the like of which she could never have imagined before today. Any crush she experienced in the past, regardless of how strong she thought it was at the time, proved paltry against what she felt now. She wanted him. She needed him.

Rapidash halted as Rarity pulled up, looking him in the face with husky breaths and hungry eyes. His countenance conveyed the same back. They lunged for each other, grabbing the other by the face with both forehooves as lips met with fully opened mouths. Two tongues met each other halfway, not in a tender dance, but all-out wrestling, caution thrown to the wind. They reared up, balanced against each other despite her wobbly hindquarters. Moans passed from one throat to the other. She needed this; she needed him. She needed him to complete her, to give Rarity her last missing part and make her whole. She wanted it now. She wanted to hear him call out her name in tones that could not be fully duplicated any other way. She intended to make his senses forget there was anything else but her, to bring all she could bear and make him lose himself at least as much as he had done for her.

They broke apart, both gasping heavily as they returned to all-fours, eyes dilated as far as they went with neither concussion nor drugs. She struggled to maintain her balance. Hurriedly and with a shaky voice, she said, “We need a priest...right now...right this second!!”

Rapidash looked across the field for a moment, then started toward some tall bushes. He looked back at her for a moment, and motioned toward the bushes with naughty eyes. As he started to step behind them, Rarity called out in the same tones, “Honey, as much as I want you to thoroughly ravish me this very moment, and oh do I ever, I know I’ll regret it if we’re not married! Is there somepony, or somemon, anybody, that can officiate!?”

{And the illusions shatter.}

Motion to her left caught her eye. She turned to see an old, grizzled-looking male Pikachu walking up to her. Over his shoulder was a small satchel, into which he reached. He pulled out a pack of human-sized cigarettes, offering her one. She waved it away with a disgusted expression. Shrugging, he took it himself, lighting it with some arcing electricity between his paws. He took a long draught, exhaled the smoke, and then spoke with such a gravelly voice that he had to have been smoking nearly all of his life. “Most enjoy one after they’re done. You look like you’re so pent up that may as well have been a romp.”

“I don’t smoke, thank you,” Rarity said quickly. “Look, I need to...I’ll just cut to the chase. I need a priest or somebody else who can officiate a wedding right now! Do you know who can do that? Can you do that?”

“We got no priests here. It comes to a pretty straightforward question, lady,” Pikachu said. “Do you want to—” Rarity scoffed in scandalized tones at his choice of verb “—him, or not?”

Rarity stammered, “Uhh...I, um....”

Pikachu sniffed the air, trying to peer behind her before pointedly looking into her eyes. Rarity blushed furiously and stared at the ground. He said, “Let me rephrase that. Do you admit you want to—” Rarity exclaimed a non-word as she stared at him incredulously “—him, or not?”

“Language! And kindly do not imply I’m a hussy, or some other lady of questionable repute,” Rarity scolded.

“Quit dodging the question,” Pikachu countered.

“I...,” Rarity began, then frowned. “Fine. Yes. Yes I do. There. Happy?”

Pikachu took another draught, and spoke as the smoke flowed from his nose and mouth, “Then, why don’t you?”

“Because we need to be married first!” Rarity protested, still squirming as she looked at the bushes where Rapidash went.

“Are you bloody serious? Why are you here, of all places, if you want to be married first?” Pikachu asked bluntly with a face full of incredulity.

Rarity grouched in exasperation, “That’s just how it’s done! It’s being proper!”

Pikachu rolled his eyes. “‘Proper?’ Lady, do you know what this place is?”

He gestured out toward the field. Rarity’s eyes went wide, for they most definitely were not alone. “Wha...wha-what!!? Have they no shame, out in broad daylight, not even trying to have a little modesty?! I thought this was a daycare!!

“Exactly,” said Pikachu. “The daycare man and lady provide a safe place for Pokémon to make eggs, at their trainer’s discretion. It’s about the only reason anymon is ever left here. That includes you, too, since you were dropped off with your...male companion.”

“You mean to tell me they made a den specifically for brazen debauchery, but labeled it a ‘daycare!?’” Rarity all-but screeched.

Pikachu was in the middle of another draught. Once he exhaled, he said, “Take it easy there, lady. You’re blowing this way out of proportion.”

“How can you possibly be so calm with such depravity right there!?” Rarity demanded.

Pikachu waved at those in the field dismissively. “This is nothing. Like most mornings, it’s pretty chill out there right now. After the sun goes down, well...not-so-chill, then. That’s when things get lively around here.”

“But those playing in the front!” Rarity said firmly. “You can’t expect me to actually believe those Pokémon playing a foal’s game of tag or hide-and-seek would act so...so crude, do you?”

“Wait for nightfall; then you’ll see what I mean,” Pikachu said with a knowing smirk. “Looks to me like you would not believe the kinks that Jigglypuff is into, the very one playing tag near the house right now. Hell, she took most of us by surprise, but damn it’s hot, seeing her do her thing.”

“Euggh...! What is wrong with you!?” Rarity demanded. She huffed, and glared at no one at all, muttering, “I can’t believe Aengus would put me here. What could he possibly...wait. You said something about eggs, didn’t you?”

Now you’ve got it! So what are you waiting for? Get to the egg-making!” Pikachu urged.


{What about you? Do you justify to yourself what you’re doing, when you know it’s wrong?}

Aengus stopped on his bike, resting his weight on his left leg. He looked over to his right at the Daycare building, then down at the ground. Miserably he said to himself, “I really shouldn’t have done that. I should just get her out, and start for Sinnoh.”

Ahead of him in the distance was Goldenrod City’s skyline. Looking it over sadly, he continued, “But Paddy’s not gonna give up his hybrid. Even if he does, he has another one just waiting to replace it. No, you have to do this, you have to have an answer to that thing, even though this feels wrong.”

He gave the building one last look before continuing onward. He murmured once away from any others, “Come on, Rarity. What are you waiting for?”


{That has to be among the most empty feelings in the history of ever, finding out you amount to nothing more than breeding stock.}

Rarity fell to a sitting position. A terrible sadness had moved in, filling her face, posture, and voice, “He...wants an egg from me? Because I came up short?”

“Usually how it goes, sweetheart,” Pikachu said condescendingly. “Most trainers just love their Pokémon no matter what, but we rarely see those here.”

“He’s...trying to breed me...just like how Paddy did Trixie...,” Rarity said in disbelief.

“Sure is; that’s those competitive types for ya’,” Pikachu continued, knocking ash from the end of his cigarette. “They’ll breed the ever-livin’ shit outta us, until they get the exact perfect one they want and like. Everymon else, they don’t care about them. Those other Pokémon are nothing more than stepping stones to their perfect fighter. Sometimes we see multiple generations in here before they’re done. Seen that happen here a few times, that the mother’s here one day, and the daughter the next.”

Tears welled up in her eyes. She sniffled, “He...doesn’t like me? Because I’m not ‘perfect?’ But...but we did so much together....”

“Sorry to say it, sweet cheeks, but you finally understand,” Pikachu said flatly. “May as well get it over with. At least he’s the guy you want to jump, right?”

Rarity’s upper lip twitched. Tears fell from her eyes, but she was glaring. She growled, “I shan’t give him a thing. He’ll just have to take me home.”

Pikachu sighed. Shaking his head, he took the last possible draught off his cigarette and flicked the butt somewhere into the brush. Forgoing grammar, he chastised, “Lady, playing the waitin’ game don’t work. Keep on telling him no all night, waiting for the break of day and tell him no again, all through the next day, day after day, over and over, and your trainer still ain’t gonna come for you until he gets that egg. I’ve seen that play out before time and again, too: a couple of Pokémon here not wanting to make eggs for whatever reason, and their trainers just keep going back and forth outside on their bicycles until they finally cave and make an egg. Hundreds of times it’s happened. Longest time was a Hitmonchan and a Machoke, and she would not let that Hitmonchan get near her for a month. Took another six weeks after that before she finally let him make an egg with her.”

“I don’t believe you. That can’t possibly be the truth! It just can’t!” Rarity sputtered.

Pikachu sighed and said, “But it is, lady. I was there. I saw the whole thing unfold. And the whole time, their trainer would just ride back and forth, waiting on that egg, stopping only to eat, sleep, and relieve himself. Think he lost fifteen kilos, riding his bike like that.”

Rarity shook her head slowly. “Two and a half months, waiting?”

“Sure was. If this ‘Aengus’ is the one I think he is, then you’d better believe he’d do it without a second thought,” Pikachu said, scratching his chin. “You’re not the first pair he’s left here, or second, and so on. Can’t forget that one time. He worked it for a while, and took the multiple generations I spoke of, all for him to get the one he wanted. You know what he got? A hell of a Pichu, stronger than any I’ve seen. Stronger than any Pichu should be, too. That little guy has to be a Raichu by now...maybe the strongest one there ever was. That was...seven years ago, I think? See one that much stronger than it should be, and you ain’t gonna forget it.”

Rarity scarcely paid him any attention, or a cry of ecstasy close-ish. She quietly said to herself, “They were right...Ho-Oh and Keldeo were right. I should’ve listened to them...why, Aengus??”

Pikachu rolled his eyes and said, “Look, lady, you said you want to get home?” Rarity nodded sadly. Pointing toward the bushes with Rapidash, Pikachu said, “Your ticket’s waiting right over there. Go get it.”

The ancient Pikachu walked on. Rarity sighed. Equally sad and angry, she muttered, “I have to do...that? Be that degenerate, that far beneath myself, just to get home? That’s about as far from fabulous as it gets. Aengus, I could so kick you right now....”


{Choice of evils....}

Aengus was nearing Goldenrod’s city limits when he stopped his bicycle, turned and started the other way. He grouched, “Stupid. Never should have put her in there. Never should have let Paddy get to you. She deserves better than this, better than me.”

A moment later he stopped again. Shaking his head, he muttered, “But then who will take Paddy down? What’ll he do to the whole region, if he’s willing to stab his own flesh and blood in the back? No. He has to be stopped, for all our sakes.”

Aengus turned himself around again, taking off into Goldenrod. He whispered to himself, “Please, Rarity, don’t let me down.”


{Time to face the music.}

“Is this penance for...Salazzle?” Rarity asked herself bitterly. “Give up my maidenhead out of wedlock, to make a life to replace the one I took, and never know my own foal?”

There was no one and nothing nearby, resulting in no answer. Across the field she saw the other pairs taking great delight in what they were doing, yet Rarity’s face spoke volumes of how betrayed she felt. She muttered angrily, “Just get it over with, Rarity. Shouldn’t take long. I’m sorry, mom...looks like I can’t keep that promise after all.”

Rarity sighed, looking at Rapidash’s bushes. She frowned for a moment, then held her head up high. She walked slowly, showing the elegance and grace she had barely remembered during her journey. She bore defiance in her expression, posture, and gait, as if she was a deposed queen on her way to her own execution. She had no joy. It was but a few metres, but it may as well have been from there to Canterlot. She did not count the steps, nor look around. She just went at her unhurried pace.

Minutes later, she rounded the edge of the bushes. It was a cozy nook, with a picnic blanket thrown down and spread evenly. Rapidash smiled when she arrived, asking, “Hey. What kept you?”

Rarity hesitated. “There’s no one to officiate. I...I don’t know. I—”

Rapidash cut her off by planting a kiss on her lips, which they held for a good half-minute. As the broke apart, Rarity opened her eyes to see his still closed. His forehoof cupped her face gently as his mouth started toward her ear. Instead of feeling a nibble, Rarity heard a harsh whisper. “We gotta bust outta here.”

{What Rarity says.}

Blinking, she blurted, “Huh??”

Rapidash reiterated, “We gotta escape this place and run.”

Author's Note:

Well then. Things just took a turn.

I wonder how often it happens to soldiers in and after combat situations, that they realise they're behaving nothing like they were raised to be by taking lives. That's gotta be worse among those who were conscripted/drafted instead of those who volunteered, but still. USMC Major General Smedley Butler touched on this briefly when he talked about what all is wrong with war, citing WWI as his example (since he was involved in that one). Rarity has reached that point, that she's looked at how she's changed since coming to the Pokémon world, and is wondering what happened to her and how she can get back to just being herself.

Man oh man, did Rarity go from zero to a hundred real fast when the kissing started. :pinkiegasp: Too often girls and young women in this country, after being told for so long that insomuch as thinking about sex is bad, go completely nuts when they experience their first bit of sexual pleasure. It hits them outta left field, leaving them wondering why in the world did I ever say "no" to this? Why didn't they tell me this is so *amazing*?! I've seen it several times. With Rarity's sense of being prim and proper, I would categorise her as one of those. The Pokémon world might also adjust how heat works with them, too. Maybe? :unsuresweetie:

Then there's Aengus, having an attack of conscience with a choice of evils at his feet. His betraying himself is one of several other less obvious instances of betrayal in the chapter.

Secondary classic rock reference this time is courtesy of Queen.

That ending...I've been waiting. I've been chomping at the bit to see how you guys react to it for months. This has been the plan the whole time, the idea of breaking out of the Daycare as if it were a jail. In many ways, it kinda is.... :applejackunsure: This moment was one of the first planned, and the thought of such a "jailbreak" was among the bigger reasons why this fic came to be at all.

But why does Rapidash want to bust loose and bolt from the Daycare? There are many possible reasons, and he has more than one. More importantly, how does his intend to break out? What will they need to do, and can they achieve it at all?

Rarity's off next week; we'll get to look back at what's going on in Sinnoh...and to switch it up some, we'll follow somepony else for at least a little bit, somepony we've not seen in a long while....

Thanks for reading. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next