• ...
27
 547
 3,425

PreviousChapters Next
26 - Vs. The Champion

{Heavy combat fast approaches.}

“Girl, you gotta get outta the way!” Devontae urged as he tugged on Rarity by wrapping his arms around her neck and right front leg. Still laying down on the wharf, she gave him a sad face, but nothing more in acknowledgement. She did not move much, despite the rough waves sloshing upon the wharf.

“Doesn’t really matter what happens to me now,” Rarity said emotionlessly, though her breathing was coming back under control. “I can’t be forgiven for...that.”

Feraligatr roared again, bellowing as loud as he could as he flexed his arms and legs, wide-mouthed with a death glare. Greninja showed no reaction. Paddy was still chuckling even as Aengus seethed, frothing slightly. Devontae let go, then grabbed her by her hind legs, right where they met her torso. He gained ground no better there, even as she squawked with some embarrassment. With a fatigued huff, he looked over at Paddy and said, “Tell me this: if you suspected things were weird like that, why didn’t you speak up, brah? You left your own brother in the dark for what!? Petty revenge over sibling rivalry?!”

“Not like he’s exactly been forthright with his thoughts, you know,” Paddy yawned. “Besides, it never hurts to see some mirror-deep female taken down.”

Rarity barely showed any reaction, though Devontae began to make some headway. With a huff, Aengus spoke at a normal volume. “So that’s what this is about. You’re still not over Yukei.”

Veins bulged on Paddy’s hands and forehead while the winds gusted again, forcing those standing to brace against it. He shrieked, “How dare you bring her up!! Now, of all times!!

Successful in getting Rarity back to the line with the others, Devontae scrubbed his brow with his headband as he muttered, “Hardly seems like the time to dredge up the past, really, if it weren’t for that outburst. Looks like he hit it right on the nose....”

“Aye. Definitely not over her. And definitely should have said something before our first date,” said Aengus with a pointed glare. “I had no idea.”

Then you should’ve dropped it as soon as you found out!!” Paddy snapped.

“By that point my own feelings had set root,” Aengus said with a slight frown. Then his face twisted into a darker grin than his usual, and he abusively continued, “Not that my feelings were the only thing of mine to set root in her.”

Why you...!!” Paddy screamed.

In the same tones, Aengus jabbed, “Oh, sure, she was a little clumsy and awkward the first couple of times, but she did get pretty darn good in the sack!”

SHUT UP!!!” Paddy hollered, his face contorted with rage, pointing furiously at Feraligatr. Greninja and green-eyed Trixie stayed put while the rest of his team returned to their balls.

“Gotcha,” Aengus whispered to himself, goading his brother with his smile, and returning all of his except Feraligatr and Rarity. The winds seemed to ease again as the working men put up another barrier.

{If you cannot find your way, then....}

Paddy screamed, “Greninja, use Extrasensory!!

“Crunch, Feraligatr!” Aengus ordered, far calmer than he sounded a moment ago.

Greninja stood up straight for a moment as Feraligatr appeared to bend in impossible ways. Scowling, green-eyed Trixie watched the battle in front of her, occasionally looking toward Rarity. Devontae nudged at Rarity, saying, “Girl, you may still have to fight! Pull yourself together!”

No!” Rarity protested, standing up and facing Devontae. Behind her Feraligatr clamped down hard on Greninja with his jaws while she continued, “I can’t! Never again! I can’t risk that again!”

Use Dark Pulse!!” Paddy shrieked.

“Keep speaking first,” Aengus whispered to himself. He then yelled, “Superpower, Feraligatr!”

“What happened with Koga was unusual. Hell, that was friggin’ weird, the crap surrounding that moment and everything leading up to it,” Devontae said while a black circle radiated from Greninja. Feraligatr rushed in as an answer, pounding away at Greninja. Green-eyed Trixie watched on silently, the same scowl adorning her face.

Rarity closed her eyes as she hung her head. She said in defeated tones, “That makes no difference, darling.”

Paddy looked at Greninja’s hard breath and shaking its head, then poised itself as it was before. He shouted, “Greninja, switch out!”

As Greninja disappeared into a white Pokéball, Aengus pursed his lips. Most of the balls on Paddy’s belt were white. Only one was a Safari Ball, and he did not grab it. While he had clicked the button, he had not thrown the ball yet. Aengus said irritably, “Since that’s how you want to play it...Crunch.”

“Wrong answer!” Paddy sneered as Typhlosion appeared. A huge wave slammed into the wharf, splashing and spraying everyone there. Those preparing the parade had stopped work and watched the battle.

As Feraligatr bit down on Typhlosion, Devontae said, “But it does. You went to battle on false information.”

Aengus yelled, “Feraligatr, Hydro Cannon!”

Paddy shouted, “Typhlosion, Wild Charge!”

Typhlosion barreled headlong at Feraligatr as the sparks surrounded him. Devontae continued, “You went ahead with the plan, understanding that these battles are normal and despite the crazy shows of power, ability, flashing lights, smoke clouds, and all that bull, nothing would be hurt, right, girl?”

Typhlosion hit cleanly, and Feraligatr toppled over, disappearing back in a stream of pink speckles. Aengus snarled some as a tear leaked from his eye while Rarity nodded to Devontae. Aengus threw another ball and yelled, “Rapidash! You’re up!”

Rarity started to turn, but Devontae took her by the head and made her look at him. She did not see Rapidash gaze her way, and slump his shoulders and ears when she did not meet his eyes. Devontae continued, “Not the case, is it?”

“Rapidash, use Poison Jab!”

“Earthquake, Typhlosion!”

Rapidash nickered in fury as he turned and rushed Typhlosion with a head full of steam, his horn bathed in violet. On impact, Typhlosion was knocked to the ground and rolled over twice before getting back up, and rocked the wharf. The last wave’s sloshed water bounced all around them. Rarity sighed, “Even with that, it still doesn’t change it’s my fault!”

Typhlosion had a purple hue as he and Rapidash retook their positions, neither of them looking particularly healthy. Devontae urged, “Nah, it means you got sucka’ed into it!”

“Typhlosion, use Extrasensory!”

“Rapidash, Wild Charge!”

“What do you mean? ‘Suckered?’” Rarity asked as Rapidash barreled at Typhlosion, coated in arcing static. Typhlosion was again knocked down, but was much slower to rise. He actually was still on all fours when Rapidash’s image was bent to the left, then right, then left again. A flurry of sparks, and Rapidash disappeared. A gasp later, Typhlosion dropped to the deck, and faded away as well.

“Excadrill!”

“Pinsir!”

The oversized taupe stag beetle stood across from Excadrill as Devontae said, “He knew things were going on, and didn’t say a word. He said so himself, remember?”

“Pinsir, Close Combat!”

“Use Stone Edge, Excadrill!”

Paddy pulled a sleeve back to show his wristwatch, one that had a keystone inset above the twelve. With a push, Pinsir glowed, and emerged from the strange ball with wings spread, and larger spikes on its mandibles. As it charged Excadrill with a flurry of punches, Devontae continued, “Your new style of Power Gem...that should have been a clue for us all, and he noticed, but said nothing!

Excadrill pushed herself back to standing with a heart coming out of her head, seemingly. With a commanding gesture, a stone spike lanced from the ground into Pinsir. Flopping to the ground, Pinsir zipped away in rosy red sparks to its white ball. Frowning, Paddy said, “Very well, Greninja, round two.”

Aengus reached into his bag and pulled out one of the sprays as Rarity said, “Why, though? Why would he do that?”

“Greninja, use Hydro Cannon!”

“It’s hard guessing what goes through that jacked-up head of his,” Devontae sighed. Aengus finished spraying Excadrill when another wave struck the low wharf. Trucks came to Goldenrod’s waterfront, where men began placing sandbags. Greninja opened its mouth, a heavy blast of water bursting forth from his maw that forced Excadrill back and off the wharf. Her sparks came to her ball a moment later. Greninja took a number of deep breaths, both hands on his knees.

“Chandelure!”

A cast iron chandelier, stylised from centuries past, appeared with purple flames on each arm, and out of the glass ball-like head in a central mounting. Devontae looked it over with a slight grin, “I have got to get me one of these...!

“Chandelure, Energy Ball!”

Greninja stayed about the same, gasping for air. As the green ball coalesced and fired, Devontae continued, “Why he did all that, though, could be that girl they talked about, Miss Kikuchi.”

Greninja stumbled, still breathing hard, but looking barely conscious. Rough waves had begun striking with increasing frequency. Aengus yelled, “Again, Chandelure!”

“Greninja, withdraw!” Paddy countered, holding up his ball again. Throwing a different one, he called out, “Golurk, it’s your turn!”

Green-eyed Trixie rolled her eyes with a huff. From the ball came the automation from earlier. The verdant orb was just beginning to grow in front of Chandelure as Rarity asked, “This ‘Yukei’ person? I can safely presume, darling, that she was a quite fetching young lady, Paddy was smitten with her, but she did not return his affections, yes?”

Chandelure’s Energy Ball struck Golurk in the centre of the chest, driving it back a step. Aengus ordered, “Chandelure, use Night Shade!”

“Fool! Shadow Ball would’ve been wiser!” Paddy barked with a victorious, evil grin. “Use Earthquake!”

An illusion of Chandelure appeared over Golurk and seemed to crush and distort it briefly, as though it were bread dough in the hand. The wharf tremoured under Golurk’s punching it while Devontae answered, “Yeah. On a scale from one to ten, she was a daaaammn! You would’ve liked her, too. Very stylish clothes, often a week ahead of the trends.”

Chandelure broke into a cascade of yellow sparks, jetting to his black and yellow ball. Aengus growled, “Salamence! Let’s do this!”

“Shadow Punch, Golurk!”

“Salamence, use Dragon Claw!”

Aengus pulled out his pocket watch, sending Salamence into the strange ball and emerging with the canister-like attachment. While this was happening, Devontae continued, “Half the boys in Paddy’s class were in love with her, but Paddy...he had it bad, and I mean bad. But as much as he wanted her, Yukei wanted somebody else, the only kid any of them had ever seen with natural red hair.”

Salamence scathed Golurk with its rear claws in the middle of a hard banking turn, making it faint and forcibly leave the battle. Another large wave crashed against the side of the Global Terminal building, breaking some of the lower windows. Throwing another ball, Paddy yelled, “Espeon!”

The malignant feline with the hypnotic purple eyes manifested. Rarity felt something glaring through her soul with an undying hatred. Rarity looked back to Espeon’s entrancing gaze, venomous as it was, finding her quickly. Espeon snarked, “Miserable wretch, what I’d do for a knife so I could cut you open and strangle you with your own entrails, you—” and used a most-impolite and derogatory against women single-syllable word starting with a hard K sound, offensive enough to make Salamence gasp, “-faced whore!”

Green-eyed Trixie openly laughed and nodded. Rarity scoffed indignantly, “You’re the one making graphic death threats and profane insults like that, but I’m the ‘miserable wretch?’ Really now?!”

Espeon growled, “Well, is that any reason to get all pissed off like that? Don’t get mad; you look fat when you’re mad!”

“‘I look—,’ what does that even...why...ooohh!!” Rarity sputtered, flushing a bright carmine in the cheeks and up to her ears.

“Chubby...chubby, chubby pony,” Espeon goaded, purring to herself.

Focus!!” shouted both Paddy and Devontae, the latter taking Rarity by the snout and turning her back toward him.

“Salamence, use Dragon Claw!”

Snorting, Paddy answered, “Espeon, just Yawn.”

And Espeon did just that, yawning with her jaw opened to the degree generally reserved for snakes. Groggily Salamence flew forward and thrashed at her with his rear claws, making her tumble backwards. She shook her head as she stood up. Devontae cupped his hands around Rarity’s eyes, negating her peripheral vision as he said, “As I was saying, she and Aengus dated for awhile, while Paddy didn’t say a word about how he felt until they had been together for months. I think she left for business school in Rustboro City, but that’s not important right now. What is, though, is how he’s not dealt with it.”

“Again, Salamence!”

“Well, Espeon, how about Future Sight? Let’s do that,” Paddy said.

Espeon seemed to grumble inaudibly as reality warped in front of the red crystal on her head. Salamence cruised in as he had done twice already in the last minute and a half, nailing Espeon and knocking her out. As he returned to his place before Aengus, he fell asleep...still aloft and reacting to eddies in the air...but asleep and softly snoring. Devontae finished up, “You remind him of Yukei, especially with Aengus nearby, even though it’s obviously not that kind of relationship between you two. It’s like he’s getting back at her, but through you.”

“Greninja! Round three!” Paddy called out, throwing that ball again.

Rarity blinked in confusion as Aengus yelled, “Salamence, buddy, come to and use Fire Fang!”

“Greninja...Blizzard.”

Freezing winds kicked up as Rarity angrily asked, “You’re saying he withheld the information that because I’m a pony not a Pokémon, I could harm Pokémon...as a way of getting back at Aengus for dating a girl who jilted him!?”

Salamence fainted. Devontae said, “Yeah, it’s sure looking that way. I wouldn’t have thought so, if not for how he reacted to Aengus mentioning Yukei’s name. Choosing to not say anything the same way Aengus didn’t say anything then. He could have spoken up, and should have, but actively chose not to. He admitted he knew. Even I can see that judging from how long there was between dropping him off at Professor Elm’s lab and Aengus beginning his challenge...talking about other Pokémon being injured, he knew before the challenge started. There had to have been plenty of time. But he said nothing, and set you up to fail. He could have sent Aengus a message and warned him, but he didn’t. He just let it all go down, and let you take the fall. Paddy allowed you to get blood on your hooves, all to get back at his brother.”

Rarity bared her teeth as she slowly turned toward Paddy. Aengus glared as well, while Devontae cast him a distrustful look. Paddy shrugged and dismissively said, “If that’s how you want to look at it...whatever.”

For a split-second, Rarity’s pupils partially contracted, turning more like a slit seen on the eyes of cats and pit vipers. She started toward Paddy. Greninja gasped. He sprung up, jumping over Paddy in a single bound, and cowered behind his trainer, only a few webbed toes holding Paddy at the right shoulder and left side visible, while fearfully peering over Paddy’s left shoulder. A mist billowed behind Rarity. She snarled, “Besmirch me over a girl from years ago...since you’ve already got blood on my hooves, why not yours, too?”

“You...will...not...,” Green-eyed Trixie growled as she stepped between Rarity and Paddy, baring her teeth as well. She hunkered down, scraping at the wharf below with her front right hoof with a snort.

Rarity’s eyes flicked into a cat-like slit again for another brief moment. She barked, “Out of the way, half-breed.”

“Not happening,” answered green-eyed Trixie. “You want at him, you gotta get through Trixie.”

Aengus furrowed his brow. “Wait a sec...did she....?”

Rarity said coldly, “Last warning, you fake. Step aside.”

Green-eyed Trixie took a step toward Rarity. After a pause, she said, “You wanna fight? Let’s fight. Just you and Trixie. No trainer orders, no items, one-on-one...think you can handle it?”

Rarity snorted, “No trainer involvement...I’m fine with that.”

“Are you sure?” Paddy asked cautiously. Green-eyed Trixie looked back at Paddy and nodded. With a sigh, he said, “Okay then...be careful. She’s not stable.”

“Nopony asked you!” Rarity growled. Telekinetically she picked up a rock off the wharf and flung it at Paddy hard. He ducked in time, but Greninja did not. He tottered limply, then fell flat onto his back, and was dismissed back into his Pokéball.

{Lemme see a show of hands: who all was itching for these two to have it out?}

“Enough of this!” snapped green-eyed Trixie. Rarity leapt back before green-eyed Trixie’s kicking could hit. Nickering, almost whinnying, the two circled each other with eyes locked in death glares. Aengus, Devontae, and Paddy all backed off quite a number of steps. Paddy whipped out his PokéGear, tapping away as the two combatants moved, keeping both of them on the screen. Both horns were glowing. Suddenly the light green aura around green-eyed Trixie’s horn flashed brightly, washing out all vision into a sea of painful white. As it faded, she gasped: flames were surrounding Rarity, and she was almost on top of her. Green-eyed Trixie slid in the wash from the last wave, but did not appear too dinged up from the attack.

Rarity roared, “Give it up! You are neither pony nor Pokémon, and lack the strength of either!”

“Or, did Trixie get the best of both worlds?” sneered green-eyed Trixie. “She thinks she did....”

Using her telekinesis, green-eyed Trixie took off her mother’s hat and tossed it to Paddy. Then she undid the clasp on her mother’s cape, and let the wind carry it to her trainer.

Then she spread her wings.

Rarity gasped in shock and disbelief. Then her face twisted into rage as she shouted, “What the hell is this!?

“She did evolve again,” Aengus said bitterly. “Explains why she kept saying ‘Lulamoon’ instead of ‘Trixie.’”

“Darn tootin’,” Paddy said proudly. “Why do you think I told you, back in Pastoria, that you ought to get yourself a perfect one? I could see it then there was potential to evolve once more, but neither Trixie nor Rarity have it. Perfected, and with a certain push, yes. This one, right here, is why I didn’t lose a Pokémon against Bruno or Karen! Look at her! Lulamoon’s magnificent! She’s actually statistically stronger than the pseudo-legendaries!”

“I don’t give a damn about any of that!” Rarity snarled. “She’s a faux-Alicorn, phony as a three-bit coin, fake as a Suri Polomare original design. One I intend to take back with me so that Princess Celestia, a real Alicorn, can decide what to do with this...abomination!”

“Funny thing, you might get to do just that,” Paddy said. “Her offspring don’t have that extra energy source, what I presume is your ‘Equestrian magic’ or whatever. Two generations away, and it’s purely a Pokémon then. I’ve released several such Twixies, and will do some more. Might just have introduced a new species to Johto. The speciation of Pokémon is fascinating; I think that may be my specialty.”

Devontae’s face scrunched as he stood up straight with his head jolting back a bit. He asked, “So, that’s how new species of Pokémon appear? Mating with some other creature?”

“It sure looks that way,” Paddy said with some delight. Then disgust overtook his tone as he continued, “It...does have some rather icky implications about how we got Jynx..., and Mr. Mime....”

“Whatever,” Rarity huffed as her horn powered up again. “Just looking at this freak makes me sick!”

“This ‘freak’ can hammer you like a tiger,” green-eyed Trixie sneered as the circling resumed.

“A paper tiger, I bet,” Rarity quipped, rolling her eyes. “Is that the best trick you’ve got? Throwing aside a hat and cape? You’re an even less impressive a magician than your mother!”

Laughing, green-eyed Trixie answered, “Oh, the new-and-improved Trixie has some tricks, all right....”

And she has a signature move,” Paddy chuckled. “Looks like she’s gonna....”

Green-eyed Trixie began to sing, “You’d better believe I’ve got tricks up my sleeve—

Right then, energy burst around Rarity as beams of light and smoke came from nowhere, making dancing lights up in the sky, on the nearby buildings, and across the ground, with green-eyed Trixie in the middle of a spotlight. Further lyrics were inaudible to Rarity amidst the bursting. Exactly whence the electronic backbeat came was indeterminable. Gritting her teeth, Rarity held tight, and began charging her horn when it sounded near completion.

“Catchy, but strange,” Devontae muttered. Aengus nodded absentmindedly.

Splotches clouded Rarity’s vision as the illumination dimmed to natural levels. She shot her magic into the ocean. On impact it began to freeze, which she hoisted and threw. The irregularly-shaped shard of ice was the size of a locomotive as it flew at green-eyed Trixie. She flitted upward, fighting the sudden gusts, but easily dodged the ice as it smacked the wharf once and splashed in the water on the other side.

“See, that’s the sort of thing that proves why you should have listened to me. Rarity has greater base potential in combat than Trixie did, and I’m sure it’d be the same with any next gen and third stage Pokémon you get from her,” Paddy said, still busily typing away at something on his PokéGear while intently pointing it toward the battle.

Green-eyed Trixie’s horn was powered and ready when she touched back down. Winds ravaged Rarity, spinning and striking around, turning her mane and tail into rat nests. Her vision dimmed. Rarity could hear her own heartbeat in her ears, and that Aengus and Paddy were talking, but it was muffled and distant to the point she could not hope to figure out what they were saying. Her legs wobbled. But she stayed upright, and the magic in her horn held right where it was. She had green-eyed Trixie in her sights as her pupils narrowed into the snake-like slits again. A spray of cold wind and ice erupted from her horn, slamming into green-eyed Trixie. Forming from the blast were a series of shards and edges, in less than a half-pipe. The ice there was nowhere near as thick as what Twilight left from the same spell, but was still nothing to casually dismiss. Green-eyed Trixie shook her head and staggered for a moment from the strike.

Rarity charged at green-eyed Trixie, electricity surrounding her in jarring amounts. Green-eyed Trixie, however, fired something into the wharf. It shook for a moment, then bursts of ground popped Rarity from below three times before the shaking stopped. Rarity’s electricity faded as she gasped breathlessly and fell over, returning to her ball in a storm of green sparks.

{Even if it’s a fake, an Alicorn doesn’t drop easily.}

“Satisfied? Have I driven the point home yet, dear brother?” Paddy sneered.

Aengus growled, “Yeah...but I don’t think you meant to ‘drive home’ all the things you did. You need help, little brother. Serious help.”

Paddy shrugged and haughtily replied, “They say there’s a thin line that separates genius from madness. Perhaps I have one foot on either side?”

“You’re not the brother I took out on that tour,” Aengus said sadly, shaking his head.

“No. I guess I’m not,” Paddy answered. “Or, maybe I am, and you didn’t have the wits to see it, hmm?”

Aengus looked away, muttering, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“I hope you’re happy,” Devontae spat.

“Happy? No, not quite,” Paddy said curtly. “I didn’t face him at his full strength. Aengus can do better. He knows he can do better than this performance he just had. And he knows how he can forge himself a stronger team, with stronger members. Don’t try to deny that, now. Go on. Do what you should have done the first time. You know you have the talent and experience, that you should have been champion long ago. I want to face you at your best, if not for me, then for yourself.”

Aengus glared at Paddy then stormed off. Devontae shook his head and followed suit. Paddy turned and saw Professor Elm walking up to him. With a smile he said, “Professor! Good afternoon. I admit you were correct about Lulamoon’s strength. Her performance during that challenge, and even now, proved it. Got some excellent data for analysis, too.”

“Good to know,” said Professor Elm with sharp displeasure in his voice, a pointed glare from his eyes, and a hard frown upon his face. “Before we get into that, and the meat and potatoes of Pokémon research, I see now what we must first go over and have you thoroughly study...is ethics in research.”

Paddy blinked silently for a moment. Crestfallen, Paddy answered, “Yes, Professor.”

“We will begin the subject in the morning. Don’t be late,” Professor Elm said as he turned to go. “But for tonight, enjoy your victory parade and evening.”

Paddy sighed in frustration and worry at his teacher’s words and implications. He turned to see his parents. He began, “Mom, dad, I—”

Mr. Meagher slapped him fully across the face with all his strength. Glaring, he seethed, “Afte’ ev’rythin’ ye’ brother’s done f’ ye’, keepin’ t’ roof ove’ ye’ head, fillin’ t’ larde’, payin’ f’ ye’ schoolin’, and this, this is how ye’ repay ‘im!?”

Paddy blinked a few times, but stood stupefied. His mom had tears in her eyes as she shook her head angrily. Mr. Meagher finished, “I’m ashamed t’ call ye’ me son.”

Paddy hung his head, every last vestige of joy erased. Mr. Meagher turned on his heel and marched off quite furious, with his wife in a similar state. Throughout his victory parade, and the party afterward, and the adoration of many young trainers and young women, Paddy could not even pretend to smile, unable to shake his father’s words from echoing in his mind.

Author's Note:

I wager that this isn't quite how most of you were expecting this chapter to close, but just the same, find that moment most satisfying.

Rarity nearly went off the deep end again, but edged toward far worse territory this time. I can't fault her anger in the least, but I can't imagine Aengus and Devontae figured out all of Paddy's inspirations and motivations behind all this madness. To think she probably could have won that if her thrown iceberg had connected....

Wonder what got that Espeon preoccupied with hurling insults about faces, since that's clearly her go-to. Evil Espeon...perhaps a reflection of her trianer. Quite the potty mouth, too. :twilightoops:

Secondary classic rock reference this time is courtesy of Rod Stewart.

Paddy certainly got to Aengus this time. But what's he gonna do about it? Will he cave to Paddy's suggestion? Will he begin taking her back to Pastoria? Will he further train his team? And, how is Rarity faring after nearly going Nightmare again?

See you next week to find out! Thanks for reading. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next