• ...
27
 547
 3,417

PreviousChapters Next
25 - Confirming Their Worst Fears

{A direct reference to a different project of mine, from years ago, that absolutely none of you would know. Unless, one of you actually knows me in person. Seems doubtful.}

Rarity’s eyes slowly opened with a grunt. A few sensations came to her quickly. The first was the blazing headache. Next was how stiff she felt. Third was a strong sense of bladder pressure! oh goddess, the bladder pressure...! Rarity forced life into the dead weight of her legs as she stood up and rushed out the bedroom door. She crashed into the abnormally close wall in such a narrow hallway. Shaking her head exacerbated the headache, but jarred her mind alert enough to remember this was Aengus’s parents’ apartment. To the left she went, hurriedly slamming the door behind her. With some struggle and careful edging of her lower half, Rarity managed to situate herself for the impending bodily function, albeit seated in a way that would doubtlessly make that crazed Lyra Heartstrings smile much too broadly. Outside the door, she heard Devontae’s voice called out, “She’s up, brah! And had to use it.”

Aengus’s voice followed. “Had to use...what? Oh. Right. One of these days I’ll remember that’s what you mean when you say ‘use it.’”

Rarity paid them no mind after that. Despite the tight fit between the wall and the vanity, and what she was doing, the feeling of physical release was magnificent. Truly stupendous. She sighed in relief, not in the least bit ladylike, nor did she care one iota about her tone. It was as if her body was rewarding her for taking care of business, a well-received reward that called for a moment to bask in its undignified glory. Finishing up, she muttered, “Thanks Celestia...my goodness....”

A quick wash up, and Rarity emerged. She squeezed through the hallway and out to the living room. Aengus sat in a papasan chair while Devontae had the middle couch cushion. Today Aengus wore a green zipped-up hoodie with white stripes atop the sleeves, blue jeans, and brown leather hiking boots. Devontae wore a hoodie and trainer pants of a strong, masculine navy blue, again of perfectly matched shades. The hoodie’s sleeves were a corn-yellow, as were his basketball shoes and athletic headband, also with an exact colour match. Around his neck were two gold chain necklaces. The longer chain had a fist-sized gold pendant of a cross with a shroud draped across it, the shroud studded with amethyst and the cross mimicking weathered wood with some letters etched at the top, but she could not read what exactly at that distance. Aengus looked her over, solace coming over him as he cracked a sad grin and shook his head. Devontae jokingly said, “Don’t you think you and the bathroom should’ve at least gone to dinner first?”

Rarity blinked and yawned, shaking her head. Once done, she grumbled, “Quit being disgusting!”

“Sorry, it was right there,” Devontae said.

Aengus got up and poured a tall glass of something purple, offering it to Rarity. She quickly drank it down, shoulders lowering in relief. His voice maintained a serious tone as he spoke. “You’ve been unconscious since that Conkeldurr lucked out with that Quick Claw. Been nearly a full day.”

Rarity nickered and rolled her eyes. “That’s what it was? We lost because of some item?”

“One that doesn’t fire with any consistency either,” Aengus grouched. “A spit of bad luck...still can’t believe that.”

After another long gulp, Rarity said, “I’m still feeling stiff from that move, darling. Does Poison Jab do this often to others?”

Aengus scrunched his eyebrows. Devontae looked at her, then Aengus, then back to Rarity. Aengus stood and walked over to her, cautiously saying, “No...never heard of that.”

Devontae scratched his chin, musing, “I suppose this explains what went down with—”

“We’ll get to that later,” Aengus said with unusually sharp and quick words. Devontae held his hands up in surrender. Aengus sighed, easing up. “Sorry. Just needing to stay focused. Now that I know what they have, a few adjustments to the team should land the victory. First off, Mismagius was slapped around without much contribution.”

Rarity said, “While I agree with that assessment, I don’t know what you would replace her with.”

“I do have a Chandelure, one that a Judge told me was ‘Outstanding.’ Solid attacking move set, too: Overheat, Nightshade, Energy Ball, and Confuse Ray,” Aengus reported.

“Replacing one Ghost-type with another, then,” Devontae said. “Why Chandelure in particular? Does it have a defensive subtype advantage, improved stats, why that one?”

Grinning, Aengus answered, “More forceful Special Attack, and statistically stronger on the whole. Subtype is Fire.”

Devontae’s ears and face perked up. “I am interested to meet this species.”

“What is this drink, darling?” Rarity asked.

“Something for dehydrated infants,” Aengus began. “We’ve found it also helps against hangovers. Given it was a Poison-type move that knocked you out, I thought this would help.”

“It certainly has. Thank you very much,” Rarity said, feeling like the drink whittled away at her headache. “Back to the task at hoof, you often voiced regretting not teaching Excadrill a Rock-type attack during your challenge.”

“Aye, and for this I think I know what to replace,” Aengus began. “I saw a distinct lack of Fairy-type Pokémon. While she loses the one same-type attack bonus for it, Metal Claw should be the one to go for the time being. Stone Edge should prove worthwhile.”

Devontae frowned. “Low accuracy. That seems to be the common thread with Rock-type attacks.”

“Most of the strongest moves have a drawback or two, that being a frequent theme. Wide Lens it is,” Aengus said. He raised an eyebrow. “Huh. I was expecting party adjustments to take a whole lot longer.”

“You could always switch out your Pokémon mid-battle, if one’s struggling,” said Devontae. “I don’t think I’ve seen you do that once.”

“Aengus! Why dinnae tell y’ mum y’ taught Padraíg so well?” Mrs. Meagher called out cheerfully. The three turned as she burst through the door with a broad smile and a tear in her eyes.

Raising an eyebrow, Aengus answered, “Um, not directly, mum. Maybe he learned by example...what brings this up? Was there a tournament among university kids or some such?”

“Ach, son! Why so coy? Y’ brother’s th’ new Champion!” Mrs. Meagher whooped.

Aengus became stiff and unblinking, his face stupefied. Rarity plopped into a sitting position. She stared agape at the news, before looking at Aengus, then Devontae, then back to Aengus. Devontae scratched at the side of his head. After a moment, he asked, “Ma’am, is this a joke? Paddy, crowned Champion?”

“He gave Karen a right-good wallopin’! And t’ think ‘twere you we thought woulda’ win it all!” Mrs. Meagher continued in the same tones.

Rarity managed to close her mouth and blink. She looked over at Aengus, who still had not moved. She asked, “I thought he was at school?”

Mrs. Meagher nodded. “Aye, he is, but no classes t’day, so he challenged ‘em at dawn!”

Looking at her eldest son, Mrs. Meagher slowly walked up to Aengus. He continued sitting there like a statue. She snapped her fingers in front of his face, to which he gasped and blinked. Rarity frowned and chided, “Back with us now?”

Aengus shook his head, and asked, “Is this for real, mum?”

“Aye, he’s by the Global Terminal buildin’, gettin’ ready f’ his Victory Parade,” Mrs. Meagher answered.

Aengus jumped out of the chair, running for the apartment door, calling, “Rarity!”

Rarity and Devontae both followed him out the door.


{Ever been stabbed in the back by your own brother?}

Ten minutes later they came to the large plaza with twin fountains in front of a tall building with an enormous antenna, built on a wharf over waters too shallow for ocean liners and container ships. Paddy spoke with some lady with a headset. Today he had on black shoes and trousers, a red windbreaker with that same insignia in white over the left side of the chest, and a black ball cap with the same design in white. The winds were strong, as were the tumultuous waves that smacked against the side of the wharf. Overhead was nary a cloud in the sky, horizon-to-horizon in all directions, and the sun streamed in coldly. Some men set up temporary walls with long feet, braced against the wind. Behind one such wall stood Typhlosion, Greninja, Pinsir, Espeon, a huge teal and taupe man-shaped automation, and green-eyed Trixie, wearing her mother’s hat and cape. She noticed Aengus, Devontae, and Rarity approaching, and sneered at Rarity. Once close, Aengus yelled, “Paddy!!

Paddy turned. The lady there walked away, typing something into her PokéGear. With a smile Paddy said, “Ah, dear brother! So good of you to come! And Devontae, huh. Haven’t seen you in years. Been working out, I see.”

“While you’ve been stealing your brother’s thunder,” Devontae shot back with a frown.

Paddy shrugged. “Not exactly. He kinda fell short of the mark, again, so I thought—”

“You thought what!?” Aengus snapped, as he clicked all the balls on his belt, summoning the rest of his team. Feraligatr was on Aengus’s left, Rarity on his right, and Rapidash to her right. Pokémon on both sides quickly formed opposed melee lines.

“Oh my. Touchy,” Paddy chuckled. “After not hearing anything about a new champion, I thought I should try my luck on a day like today, when I don’t have any classes.”

Aengus growled, “Even though I’ve been working for this for years?!

“And still didn’t make it. One of us had to secure mom that pension and financial security, right? That was what you’ve touted all these years, right?” Paddy answered pointedly.

A gust of wind pressed clothes, hairdos, manes, and tails toward the mainland for a moment. Rarity said, “I don’t think it was your place, though. You have your education to pursue; you should have let Aengus seek the Championship without butting in.”

Paddy gave Rarity a short glare before turning back to Aengus. “As I was saying, mom and dad need not worry about money anymore. So...why are you upset?”

Aengus snarled, “Even though this was my dream!”

Paddy growled back, “Yes! Did you ever think about how what you were doing had an effect on me!? Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, I’d like to be known as something other than ‘Aengus’s little brother?’ Did that thought occur to you even once!?”

“You are known as yourself, not attached to me!” Aengus roared. “You’re a university student! The only one ever in our extended family!”

“Yeah, and I got to hear how ‘Aengus’s little brother is going to university’ among the town’s small talk!” Paddy retorted. “At least they all now know I’m the better trainer!”

A wave splashed those closest to the water. Devontae said, “Look, brah, why do you need to prove it so much?”

“To get it through his head,” Paddy said. “To end his haughty banter, stop him looking down his nose at me day in and day out, like he was some aristocrat and I but a peasant. And to keep him from spouting how great he is all the time. That’s the worst part of it all.”

“Yet you tried so rarely to catch new Pokémon. You didn’t even try to reach for a Pokéball against a Blitzle or a Zebstrika until you had seen at least a dozen of them!” Aengus said.

“Fifteen of them, to be precise,” Paddy smirked.

“Exactly how does that make you a better trainer?” Aengus asked abusively. A wind-breaking wall lurched toward the building after another wave struck. Worker men pushed it back.

“Why should I bother with ones that aren’t any good?” Paddy asked in turn. “What’s the point in catching a Pokémon if it can’t compete?”

“You don’t know that. Quit pretending,” Aengus dismissively answered.

“Actually, I do,” Paddy said. “You knew why I took Trixie to the Solaceon Daycare. And you ought to know why I suggested you do the same with Rarity.”

“Perfection, I know,” Aengus said, rolling his eyes.

“Yes, but you didn’t listen,” Paddy said, gesturing with an open palm facing upward. “Were she a Pokémon, I would have told you she has decent potential overall.”

“Wait, what??” Devontae interjected, his eyes widening.

Paddy continued, “That’s my judgment, and it is final!

Aengus stared in disbelief. “...you can’t be serious.”

“Incidentally, dear brother,” Paddy continued, far too pleased with himself. “I will tell you her best potential lies in her physical Attack, and her Special Defense. Those can’t be beat.”

“Unbelievable,” Aengus blurted, shaking his head slowly as the wind seemingly eased, from another temporary wall going up.

“But...her vitality...it’s pretty dismal, you know? And how does she make it through battle with this kind of physical Defense?” Paddy finished.

Aengus frowned as he took a step forward. “How long have you been able to do this?”

“Since I was nine,” Paddy said flatly. “Remember that Sunkern? Did you think maybe there’s a reason I liked it so much? If you—”

Rarity interrupted, “I don’t much appreciate your talking about me as if I were not here.”

Paddy glowered at her. With the same sour face, he turned to Aengus and said, “Not comfortable with her around. And I can’t believe you still want her on your team.”

Rarity scoffed, “Why, you inconsiderate—!” She growled what could have been words, and should have been words, but were not. A crashing wave did not assist in her vocal coherency.

“Why don’t you get her out of here before she kills something else?” Paddy said flatly, maintaining eye contact with Aengus.

Rarity rolled her eyes. “I kill it with fashion, and my chic designs, but those aren’t here.”

“Did you forget about Koga’s Salazzle?” Paddy turned toward her.

With a wave striking the wharf behind her, Rarity spat, “She got what she had coming. You don’t need to exaggerate.”

Paddy’s mouth fell open as his eyes widened. His Pokémon looked between themselves, horrified. Green-eyed Trixie bared her teeth at Rarity, scraping at the ground with her front hooves. Paddy barked, “‘Got what she had coming!?’ What the hell!?! You think your jealousy justifies murder!?

Rarity had her turn for a horrified reaction. Scandalised, she yelled, “What!! ‘Murder!?’ You’ve really got some gall, accusing me of that! I’ve never dreamed I’d ever be so slandered ever in my life!! Seriously, Aengus, where did he come up—”

{And the truth hits her between the eyes like The Friendship Express at full steam.}

Rarity stopped when she saw the long, sad look at Aengus’s face. He looked down at the ground with a defeated expression. Paddy’s Typhlosion sidled close to Paddy, grabbing him by the windbreaker and tugging him closer, looking up at him with a wide-eyed shakiness. Rarity’s eyebrows rumpled closer together as Paddy scratched his Typhlosion behind the ears, and whispered, “Don’t fear the reaper, little lady. I won’t let her get you, too.”

Rarity leaned downward, looking up until Aengus’s gaze met hers. She spoke with concern in her voice, “Aengus, you need to set your brother straight on this.”

Paddy scowled at Aengus. Disbelief and disappointment marinated his words. “She didn’t know?” He paused, then continued in the same tones, “You didn’t tell her? Why not? This is hardly the time, place, or way for her to find out.”

Rarity pawed at Aengus side, pleading, “Aengus...Aengus, this isn’t funny....”

Aengus stared at the wharf underfoot as a large wave splashed hard, sending water up to their feet. He quietly said, “I know. No one’s laughing.”

Rarity’s shoulders sank as her breathing accelerated. She looked around wide-eyed and she desperately begged, “Aengus...please tell me...tell me it’s just a misunderstanding...that she just fainted....”

Rapidash looked away, a hollow expression overtaking him. Aengus spoke barely loud enough to be heard. “You were so focused on the task of winning the championship, both after the battle with Koga and when you finally woke up. I was waiting until we were on the way back to Pastoria, somewhere quiet, to break it gently. I’m sorry; I should’ve said something sooner.”

Rarity involuntarily backed up, ridden with deep gasping fast breaths, leaving her chest rapidly rising and falling. She shook as her eyes darted everywhere, held as wide as she could physically open them. She sputtered, “But...but...there’s no...it’s impossible...she couldn’t have...there’s no way that...you...you said Pokémon moves can’t kill...!”

“You’re right. Pokémon moves can’t kill,” Paddy said. “But, as you’ve so often pointed out, you’re not a Pokémon.”

“What’re you getting at?” Devontae demanded.

Rarity laid herself down on the wharf, both of her forehooves on her head while she whimpered in terror to herself, still tremouring and not blinking. The tears had begun. Paddy said, “We should’ve figured this out sooner. She doesn’t know a single Pokémon move because she’s not a Pokémon. Sure, she knows plenty of spells that resemble Pokémon moves, but proper ones? None at all.”

Aengus demanded, “You gotta be kidding!”

“That shotgun-blast of gems from the floor, on the ship here? Against Alder’s Volcarona? Thinking about that, after Ho-Oh set me straight, raised my suspicions about how she could know so many ‘moves,’ since that’s a huge deviation from Power Gem,” Paddy said. “When I said something to Professor Elm, he quickly rang up Professor Kukui of Alola, and sent him the video. Since Pokémon attacks are Professor Kukui’s specialty, he could instantly tell what she did was no Pokémon move. He was the one that pointed out to us how her horn glows every single time she does anything in battle. So no. She doesn’t know a single Pokémon move. It does explain why she appears to know so many, though, and how she seemingly learned them at random intervals.”

Aengus stared vacantly at Paddy. Lost for words, he murmured, “Oh...I, uh...guess that explains a few things....”

“We should have just gotten right back on the ship and taken her home as soon as Ho-Oh eliminated any doubt,” Paddy said sadly, shaking his head. “Although there was no conceivable way to foresee it at the time, the madness going on in Sinnoh is our fault. We may end up paying dearly for what we’ve done, and we’d deserve it, too.”

“But...but..,” Rarity sputtered on the ground, still hyperventilating.

Paddy turned to her with a glare. “The gathering of Legendary and Mythical Pokémon, paired with the numerous military pony patrols, have left the residents of Sinnoh terrified, many unwilling to come out of their doors! Rumours from abroad whisper of armies mobilising, preparing to preempt invasion! And here, you ponies have injured every single Pokémon you have faced in battle. All of them!”

Aengus shook his head agape. “What in the hell...?”

“They found a Buizel with a bad concussion just east of Pastoria City within an hour of us leaving. Volkner’s Jolteon has a sprained ankle from her version of Play Rough. Rajni’s Pyukumuku and Breloom are both slow to respond to anything now, and her Flygon had to be treated for frostbite. Speaking of frostbite, Princess Twilight Sparkle gave that to Cynthia’s Garchomp, as well as need for braces on both ankles and its neck. Do I need to keep going?”

Rarity pawed at Rapidash’s side, pleading, “Rapidash...please...please don’t—”

He twisted himself out of her reach and took a step away, muttering, “I want nothing to do with a killer.”

Rarity sobbed as the waves roared. Paddy sighed in relief and said, “Good, good, at least he’s safe.”

Aengus held his arms up and shook his head. “Wha...??”

“I rather like that Rapidash of yours, Aengus. I’m glad he’s not in a bad situation,” Paddy answered. Windsocks behind him pulled taut and horizontal for a brief second.

“‘Bad situation!?’ Have you no end to your tirade?!” Aengus demanded.

“Eventually,” Paddy answered. He walked over to Rarity and knelt down in front of her. She looked up from her crying to see him tapping at his PokéGear. He said, “About Salazzle, I think you need to see exactly what you did to her.”

On the screen popped up a medical report in a semi-pictographic alphabet. Rarity blinked, still shaking, and shook her head. Aengus said, “She doesn’t know the language, Paddy.”

“Fine, I’ll translate,” Paddy scoffed. “‘From an unknown attack resembling the move Earth Power, Salazzle suffered massive injuries that led to her passing away from internal bleeding. Every rib was broken, eight of them in two places. Her left femur suffered a greenstick fracture, nearly splitting the bone in two lengthwise. Salazzle also had a ruptured liver. Primary source of internal blood loss was from a seven millimetre rupture of the ascending vena cava at the L1 vertebrae. Salazzle lost consciousness two minutes after the injury and suffered cardiac and respiratory arrest thirty seconds later. She was pronounced dead three minutes later when a PET scan was negative.’ That’s what you did. You killed her.”

Rarity cried harder, but managed to get out, “But...I never meant that! I didn’t mean to....”

“You didn’t mean to kill her? Is that a bandage which makes everything all better? Does that mend Koga’s broken heart over his dear friend’s death? Do you think that makes a difference at all? It doesn’t!” Paddy snapped back.

“I...I...,” Rarity began, but could get no further.

“Don’t even. And don’t deny you meant to hurt her. I saw a recording of the battle, and heard it in your voice! You wanted her to suffer, didn’t you?” Paddy demanded. With closed eyes, Rarity mournfully nodded as her sobs got louder. Paddy stood up as he said, “Well, there you have it. In a flurry of passion, you lashed out with intent to harm and Salazzle ended up dead from it. That, point in fact, is murder.”

Rarity gasped breathlessly as her eyes shot open, pupils all-but invisible. Still hyperventilating, her breaths became ragged and broken. She continued laying on the wharf as another large wave crashed, mostly drenching her. Wispily she breathed, “I’m...I’m a...a....”

“A murderer. You are a murderer, Rarity, and that’s a fact. One you’ll have to deal with the rest of your days, whether you escape Koga or not,” Paddy said firmly and sans forgiveness. Rarity passed out, without her signature melodramatics.

Aengus waited for another wave’s crashing to quiet down, then snapped, “What do you want from her?”

“Honestly, I don’t know, now that she knows the truth. She’s left me in a bit of a predicament, since these kinds of decisions fall to the Champion. I’m open to realistic suggestions,” Paddy answered. Frowning, Paddy knelt back down, and pulled a stoppered test tube out of his inside coat pocket. Within was a white powder, browning toward the bottom. He unstoppered the tube and wafted it around Rarity’s nose. As Rarity came to, he sarcastically muttered, “Never hurts to go unprepared.”

Rarity blinked, then her eyes shot open as she looked at Paddy. The hyperventilating resumed. Aengus growled, “So you thought she should be emotionally shattered? Wondering how much she can take? What’s that gonna accomplish? Oh, right! This shows how you’re the better trainer!”

“No, that I beat Bruno without having one of my Pokémon knocked out does! You’re, what, naught and eight against him?” Paddy smile contemptuously. “That’s pretty pathetic. I didn’t think he was that big a challenge.”

Aengus shook and glowered while Paddy patted green-eyed Trixie on the back. Aengus growled, “You....”

“Yes, me; little brother’s now on top,” Paddy mocked. “What’s it like to suddenly find yourself playing second fiddle?”

Devontae shook his head and said, “Brah, quit it. You’re acting like a shithead.”

“Call it what you will. I’m just glad he finally gets it, that he was never better than me with Pokémon!” Paddy said triumphantly. As Aengus balled up his fists, Paddy taunted, “What’s the matter, dear brother? Don’t like it? Wanna do something about it?”

Devontae stepped toward Aengus and said, “He’s just being a dick, brah! Don’t let him get to you!”

“Seriously, if he backs away now, it’ll always itch at him, that he chickened out when he thought he could prove me wrong. So what are you waiting for?” Paddy continued abusively. Sneering, he demanded, “Come on, you nancy!”

{Challenge issued.}

“Ah, hell nah!” Devontae spat with a snarling expression.

Feraligatr!!!” Aengus screamed, his face all screwed up. Both lines of Pokémon backed up as Feraligatr and Greninja stepped forward. Feraligatr’s face bore the same anger as Aengus’s, while Greninja dropped into a three-point ready stance, focused on Feraligatr. Paddy openly laughed a savage laugh as he took his position.


{His time is soon.}

At the end of the wharf, standing on the roof of a luxurious high-rise condominium building stood Keldeo. He watched as the brothers prepared themselves to fight, though his eyes stayed on Rarity. He said to himself, “Not long now, Rarity. Not long now.”

Author's Note:

Yep...he's back. Paddy. What a guy. Goes off and hurls a homophobic slur at his brother, who he knows is straight. If you didn't already, you have my blessing to hate him now.

And yeah, Salazzle's dead. That's not news anybody can take well, that their actions resulted in another's demise. I suppose the thing that's been going on the whole time makes it a bit more clear, that Rarity has never known a Pokémon move. She's gonna hafta pull herself together quickly; a fight's breaking out in front of her, and she'll doubtlessly be called on to do battle.

Secondary class rock reference this time is courtesy of Blue Öyster Cult. More cowbell?

Next week...brother versus brother! Just how good is Paddy's team, especially against Aengus's? The two know each other so well, likely enough to predict the other's next move. How will this go down? And what's Keldeo on about, saying "not long now," anyway?

Be here next week to find out! Thanks for reading. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next